Post-Game Talk: Bruins vs Penguins 3/12 @ 7:30 II

MTaylorJ1

Sep 20, 2006
all of this arguing about who did what wrong is missing the big picture which is that the Bruins got an early lead and almost completely stopped trying to score. They tried to play 50 minutes of keep-away to win the game, which requires them to play nearly perfect hockey and has got to be really mentally draining. It's the same trap they used to fall into before the 2010 Flyers series and I thought after 2011 that they had ditched that mentality but it is popping up again this year and that is the real reason they lost last night.

I thought they got outskated from the very start. Similar to my feelings on the Flyers series, the upset wasn't that the Penguins came back, it was that we were up 2-0 in the first place.

patty59

Apr 6, 2008
Lethbridge, Alberta
Fatigue set in and they started making crappy plays. They were playing almost flawless hockey until just after they killed off that 5 on 3. They ran out of gas, pretty easy to see that.

Kaoz*

Exactly. He's a bad hop from a great steal. Played it perfectly just got a bad break.

And I can't believe we are hindsight nitpicking based on images.

Having three forwards converging on one player, moving up ice on an attempted pass interception when the opposition still has the puck is a bad decision every single time, not just in hindsight. Those are the very types of mistakes this team has learned to exploit, not make. Occasionally it pans out and looks genius, more often it does not especially when the player has time and space to thread the pass.

And an image is nothing more then a visual aid. Far easier and far less open to interpretation then explaining the same thing out using words (ascii art ain't my thing)? I'd rather see criticism based on an image then an excuse based on flights of fancy personally.

LSCII

Cup driven
Mar 1, 2002
Central MA
605b3bb4-b97f-4110-aac9-8f12d93c7ebf_zpsf06164f3.jpg

lopey

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jan 27, 2009
Frozen Tundra Northern Ontario
Mcquaid and Ference combined with the 4th line in our end are just a disaster waiting to happen.

Here is how i would play the next couple of weeks. a. Johnson plays 6 games in a row and give every d-man a day off in succession, then go back to what we have now for next 6 games and then re-evaluate.

I know Clode is looking at resting guys, he probablys starts resting guys on Thursday. I see Mcquaid taking a seat, then Ference.

RussellmaniaKW

Sep 15, 2004
The Stanley Cup team in 2011 had 3 scoring lines. We still have 8 out of 9 players here from that team (Bergy, Marshy, Lucic, Horty, Krej, Pevs, Kelly and Seguin) What we had that year was a goal scorer in Ryder (ok start the harrasing lol) We do not have that today. Thats what is missing IMO.

I think they do need a little more depth for sure, but what they are really missing since 2011 is that killer instinct. They had the Pens reeling last night and instead of going for the jugular they let off and it cost them. The thing that worries me is that Julien's post-game quotes are all about how his guys made some mistakes, which tells me he has no problem with their lack of aggression and that he expects them to go into a shell and play literally *perfect* hockey whenever they get a lead which is just unrealistic IMO.

RussellmaniaKW

Sep 15, 2004
I thought they got outskated from the very start. Similar to my feelings on the Flyers series, the upset wasn't that the Penguins came back, it was that we were up 2-0 in the first place.

Must have been watching different games. Both Bergeron and Seguin were wide open on the 2nd goal after Marchand outskated 3 pens. They had the game firmly in hand but forgot that there was a net at the other end.

lopey

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jan 27, 2009
I think they do need a little more depth for sure, but what they are really missing since 2011 is that killer instinct. They had the Pens reeling last night and instead of going for the jugular they let off and it cost them. The thing that worries me is that Julien's post-game quotes are all about how his guys made some mistakes, which tells me he has no problem with their lack of aggression and that he expects them to go into a shell and play literally *perfect* hockey whenever they get a lead which is just unrealistic IMO.

You make a good point. The lack of killer instinct worries me.

MTaylorJ1

Sep 20, 2006
Must have been watching different games. Both Bergeron and Seguin were wide open on the 2nd goal after Marchand outskated 3 pens. They had the game firmly in hand but forgot that there was a net at the other end.

it's possible we were, that's one play. I can count several others in all 3 periods where the Penguins marched up and down the ice and their shots were saved or just wide. The shot margin for the entire game was telling, there was no point where the Bruins had the Penguins on the ropes at all.

DoubleAAAA

Jun 5, 2009

I agree, despite the shot differential, B's had the much better of the play in the 1st and played a near perfect road period.

lopey

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jan 27, 2009
Yes the Seids play at the end of the game was the final mistake, but we played like crap the entire 3rd period, turnover after turnover, no offensive zone presence.

This loss is on all of them but Dooby

DoubleAAAA

Jun 5, 2009
That's a hell of a risk on that play, especially when he can clearly see Horton doing the same. That's a decision that leads to a guaranteed odd man rush should the pass get through him (and it did), and therefore is no where near to being positioned perfectly. Positioned perfectly in that case is not engaging the passer (he knows both Lucic and Horton are already doing that) but instead falling back to give support to his defense should they fail.

Negative, that was the 4th line.

Ahhh ... thought I remembered seeing the Matrix out there. Must have been a glitch in the programming.

DoubleAAAA

Jun 5, 2009
The Stanley Cup team in 2011 had 3 scoring lines. We still have 8 out of 9 players here from that team (Bergy, Marshy, Lucic, Horty, Krej, Pevs, Kelly and Seguin) What we had that year was a goal scorer in Ryder (ok start the harrasing lol) We do not have that today. Thats what is missing IMO.

Yep ... Seguin > Ryder but Recchi >>>> than SadPando/Son of Ray/Caron

Jean_Jacket41

Neely = HOF
Jun 25, 2003
With the smurfs
Yea sorry, I disagree.

KHL_breakout_zps0e662e3b.jpg

Krejci may be open on his side but is also completely focused on getting up ice, head down and motoring and is fully facing away from Seids... not a clean option. He also places himself between Seids and Lucic which really makes that an unclean breakout option as well (although again, a better option in hindsight).

The only clean breakout option is Horton, and really he's about as far away as you can get on the right hand side allowing for an easy poach (which Seids should have read).

KHL_breakout_better_zps222eec5f.jpg

Compare that to this breakout from the same line earlier in the season, the Dman has 3 solid options... all three are tight and all three have focus on being an option for an outlet pass.

Puck support from the forwards... it makes a difference.

Seids had all the time in the world. If there wasn't a forward open, just dump it out. That pass attempt was brutal. Especially with 2min left in a 2-2 game...

Kaoz*

Seids had all the time in the world. If there wasn't a forward open, just dump it out. That pass attempt was brutal. Especially with 2min left in a 2-2 game...

Very very bad decision.

Should have had far more options then Nate, Dump it out, or bank it off the boards to Lucic.

Jean_Jacket41

Neely = HOF
Jun 25, 2003
With the smurfs
Nitpicking based on images of:

a 17-4-3 team
who lost by a goal
to the co-favorites in the East (granted without Malkin)
on the road
on the 2nd night of a B2B
on the 4th night of a 3 in 4.

What makes it tough ius that the Bruins led by 2 with 6min to go. For the B's, even how bad they played to that point, it should/used to be an automatic 2pts.

But, like ALL of our only 4 losses, the Bruins blew a 3rd period lead. 32-0-0 with a lead going in the 3rd last year. already 5 losses this year losing 9pts that used to be locked in previously.

Even with these tough losses, the B's are 17-4-3, in the driver seat, with the best record in the East and in a battle for 1st/2nd in the conference and home ice for at least two rounds.

B's are far from perfect. Their wins haven't all been dominating. But they most often than not came on the winning side. 17 times out of 24. Yesterday, the Bruins were on the losing end. They did the same thing to the Rangers. **** happen. Learn and move on.

This is still our conference to lose. And thus far, we're 1st. Regroup and beat these little cats on Thursday.

TCL40

Jun 29, 2011
I really do think Seids' bad decision was fatigue. He usually makes better choices. Also, with fatigue the first thing that often goes is the mental game and the physical game follows (you can usually continue the physical aspects under adrenaline but the mental game goes to pot).

I also think there was a noticable lack of forechecking by the Bruins in that game. Not sure why they weren't forechecking, but I am willing to bet it wasn't part of Julien's plan.

No sustained pressure anywhere in the offensive end.

Also there were some uncharacteristic penalties from Marchand and Bergeron that to me spoke of fatigue as much as anything.

There were still some positives:

Dobby-he almost stole that game for the team, he had some amazing saves, and the team let him down. I think Chia needs to try to keep him, but I can't imagine there aren't going to be some teams in the league who will look to sign him.

Even tired and playing what felt like 90% of the game on defense Crosby didn't get a single point. This team can shut down Crosby, and I would love to see them play with both teams fresh.

Bergeron line-they didn't score a butt ton of goals, but they played a good game (Marchand just needs to stay on side).

Peverly played well-the rest of the line couldn't sustain much pressure, but Peverly was winning key faceoffs, and it was instrumental in the B's killing off the series of penalties with the 5 on 3.

Also, for once I actually think I watched a game where it didn't want to punch the refs. Refs seemed to do a pretty good job and while the B's were in the box a lot more than the Pens, the calls were all legitimate calls and no ridiculous boarding calls that were just big hits.

Not sure who the refs were, but that is probably the first game this season-Bruins or not-where the refs seemed to get the calls right.

Jean_Jacket41

Neely = HOF
Jun 25, 2003
With the smurfs
Very very bad decision.

Should have had far more options then Nate, Dump it out, or bank it off the boards to Lucic.

Very uncharacteristic by the Bruins, especially Seids, to make these bad mistakes at critical time. The B's just gave the game away.

Strange that our only 4 regulation losses came with the lead in the 3rd... We should be on a Hawks unbeaten streak right now without these blown leads with 21-0-3...

the overrated

wicked overrated
Jul 13, 2006
Suburbia
Yea sorry, I disagree.

KHL_breakout_zps0e662e3b.jpg

Krejci may be open on his side but is also completely focused on getting up ice, head down and motoring and is fully facing away from Seids... not a clean option. He also places himself between Seids and Lucic which really makes that an unclean breakout option as well (although again, a better option in hindsight).

The only clean breakout option is Horton, and really he's about as far away as you can get on the right hand side allowing for an easy poach (which Seids should have read).

But with where the Penguins players are in relation to Seidenberg, just holding the puck for another second or two would have cleared two possible lanes (along the boards to Lucic, or D-to-D) along with potentially giving Krejci the chance to be more ready to receive the pass.

While I know the B's like the quick-pass to jumpstart the break in the other direction, this seems like a time where Seidenberg was trying to do too much too quickly and forced one instead of waiting for a better play to develop.

TCL40

Jun 29, 2011

I don't necessarily think they need Ryder specifically, but since they let Ryder leave, that LW spot has progressively gotten worse with each move. Caron IMO is an upgrade over Bourque and Pandolfo, but he isn't going to produce like Ryder either.

At this point they need a trade.

For the temporary they need a line mix up-before I would have suggest moving Horton and Pevs, but Pevs is going to be pulling center duties on the 3rd until they get Kelly back, if they get Kelly back.

Now not really sure-flip flop Horton and Seguin-but then not sure I want the Bergeron line broken up.

Just glad I am not a coach. But I can't help but think Chia and Julien and the rest of the front office see the black hole that is currently the 3rd line and Horton who basically seems like he last every bit of nasty when he came back from his concussion.

Oh and the black hole that is the bottom 3 of the defensive depth chart. I know some are dying for a Boychuk trade, but I think Boychuk is harder to replace than fans think.

I do think Ference and McQuaid look awful. I also think the front office needs to figure out some way to get Seids and Chara reunited for the playoffs, and not weaken the rest of the defense.

rfournier103

Black & Gold ‘till I’m Dead & Cold.
Sponsor
Dec 17, 2011
Massachusetts

Not going to harrass you. You hit the nail right on the head. The Bruins don't win the Cup in '11 without Ryder. He was Julien's whipping-boy here in Boston (and Montreal, too), kinda dogged-it sometimes, but when the chips were down, he came through more often than not. We need a guy who can step up when the isht hits the fan. Anyone?

Also, I love Claude Julien... but how about ramping up the offense? I think he needs to change his 'game' just a hair. Not much... but just a tad.

ODAAT

Oct 17, 2006
Victoria BC
it's possible we were, that's one play. I can count several others in all 3 periods where the Penguins marched up and down the ice and their shots were saved or just wide. The shot margin for the entire game was telling, there was no point where the Bruins had the Penguins on the ropes at all.

Yes and No about the shot total, in spite of hardly a devastating attack by our boys in the first 2 periods, Pitt and the shot count hardly depicts the flow of the game. The play, and the overwhelming majority of the play was all perimiter. In the 3rd, no contest who was better.

MIA: Krejci/Looch/Horty, ya think that 3rd line missed Kelly much?

I had no issue with their game in the first 2 periods, would have liked more of an attack but still had the makings of a text book roadie. The boys completely lost all focus in the 3rd, countless lazy plays, countless situations where players didn`t check off their man. Oh well, no need to get worked up nor panic, like any sport, gonna be ups and downs.

Those poor Panthers will be taking a hard beating tomorrow night:yo:

Ad

Upcoming events

• Finland vs Norway
    Finland vs Norway
    Event closes
    • Updated:
  • Slovakia vs USA
    Slovakia vs USA
    Wagers: 2
    Staked: $150.00
    Event closes