Post-Game Talk: Bruins vs Penguins 3/12 @ 7:30 II

13Hockey

Go Bruins
Jul 20, 2006
Boston
Also this core bruins team tends to take games off and conserve energy....look at 08-09 one of the best regular season teams ever and they pretty much went into cruise control in February just like last years team and this year they our already going to the playoffs I think they our picking there spots they know they can turn it on and off when they want I don't think they will take a full month off like years past but a few games here and there

They our 17-4-3 right now and 4-2-1 this month I see them finishing march at 6-1-2 getting them to 23-5-5 with 15 left

Last edited:

patty59

Apr 6, 2008
Lethbridge, Alberta
Also this core bruins team tends to take games off and conserve energy....look at 08-09 one of the best tegular season teams ever and they pretty much went into cruise control in February just like last years team and this year they our already going to the playoffs I think they out picking there spots they can turn it on and off when they want I believe

I think I'll chalk this one up to fatigue. 3rd game in 4 nights, with travel, I guess they didn't get into pitt until 3am. The night before they went to a SO.

It is what it is, the ran out of gas. I'm not OK with blowing another 3rd period lead, but those are not common mistakes that this team makes. They were drained and they are better than that.

In all of their losses this year they ended up beating themselves.

caz16

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jun 11, 2011
Ontario
I think I'll chalk this one up to fatigue. 3rd game in 4 nights, with travel, I guess they didn't get into pitt until 3am. The night before they went to a SO.

It is what it is, the ran out of gas. I'm not OK with blowing another 3rd period lead, but those are not common mistakes that this team makes. They were drained and they are better than that.

Thank you for that. There were positives in that loss last night. Take them and move on. Not many teams keep Crosby off the scoreboard right now - no points for him at least not even in the 5 on 3.

TMac21

Save us Sweeney
May 21, 2003
Thank you for that. There were positives in that loss last night. Take them and move on. Not many teams keep Crosby off the scoreboard right now - no points for him at least not even in the 5 on 3.

I think this is the worst part of that blown lead - the boys killed that huge 5 on 3 to start off the period.

hemispheres

Mar 13, 2013
boston,ma.
Krejci is only slow because his line mates hold hum back. At the game the other night, can not believe how slow and lackadaisecle Looch can be. When he is on-he is on, but that is against the bigger slower teams when he is banging bodies. Krejci needs a couple of skill guys on his line. Move looch to 3rd line and bring down Caron to the new 2nd line, would't hurt to try something this line needs speed.

Pie O My

May 26, 2010
Shawmut Center
Did Brick (or post game show) ever answer definitively as to why Campbell was chosen to be in the box at 5 on 3?? Is there actually a rule that states a skater on the ice at moment of goalie infraction has to serve it?

The Special K

Hoss MOFO, Hoss.
Sep 26, 2008
Canal Winchester, OH
My biggest problem is how bad looch can be with his decision making at times. I have seen him give the puck away time after time after time. He frequently kills plays with his passing and has just not been putting himself in positions that allow DK to get him the puck. I do love the guy, but he drives me nuts every season when he goes through these stretches of uselessness.
DK has slowed down but has been producing points of late, his line mates have both been disasters...Horton is in one of his "I can't score in an open net " funks and as for looch...refer to the above paragraph.
Hopefully they find their games soon here...season is pretty short.

Caper Bruins fan

Dec 4, 2011
Cape Breton
I think they do need a little more depth for sure, but what they are really missing since 2011 is that killer instinct. They had the Pens reeling last night and instead of going for the jugular they let off and it cost them. The thing that worries me is that Julien's post-game quotes are all about how his guys made some mistakes, which tells me he has no problem with their lack of aggression and that he expects them to go into a shell and play literally *perfect* hockey whenever they get a lead which is just unrealistic IMO.
I was working last night so didn't see the game but overall I don't think this team lacks the killer instinct.A few guys seem to be struggling lately[Lucic,Horton] but I do believe this team's mindset is significantly better than last year's.

C77

Mar 12, 2009
Junior's Farm
The Bruins could learn something from Toronto's approach against the Penguins.

That was just after JVR put a hard clean hit on Malkin....which is why Malkin missed the Bruins game last night.

The Bruins just can't be bothered with that kind of stuff. I think I've seen maybe two or three big hits from the Bruins all year. I wouldn't be surprised with another first round exit from the Bruins unless there are a few moves made.

Sevren

Nov 10, 2009
Montreal

I think it could be a mix of both conserving energy/floating and running out of gas.

The d-men are possibly running out of gas. The puck has been in our defensize zone a lot lately so they had to work a lot. And most of them have played every game so far this season.

On the other hand I just don't see how the forwards could be running out of gas the way they are playing and the way the coach splits time amongst all 4 lines. The Bergy line is as active as any other line in the league and yet they are still looking speedy and carrying the team. If that line does not run out of gas, but our other lines do, we have a big problem. As for the goalies, I don't think the coach is overusing Rask so I don't think they are running out of gas neither.

To make it short :

dmen : may have been out of gas
goalies : not running out of gas but need some help
forwards : floating/conserving energy

sooshii

still dancing
Sponsor
Jan 25, 2009
Philly burbs
Did Brick (or post game show) ever answer definitively as to why Campbell was chosen to be in the box at 5 on 3?? Is there actually a rule that states a skater on the ice at moment of goalie infraction has to serve it?

27.1 Minor Penalty to Goalkeeper – A goalkeeper shall not be sent to the penalty bench for an offense which incurs a minor penalty, but instead, the minor penalty shall be served by another member of his team who was on the ice when the offense was committed. This player is to be designated by the Manager or Coach of the offending team through the playing Captain and such substitute shall not be changed.

Yup.

Michel Beauchamp

Canadiens' fan since 1958
Mar 17, 2008
Laval, Qc

Just in case nobody answered you:

"27.1 Minor Penalty to Goalkeeper – A goalkeeper shall not be sent to the penalty bench for an offense which incurs a minor penalty, but instead, the minor penalty shall be served by another member of his team who was on the ice when the offense was committed. This player is to be designated by the Manager or Coach of the offending team through the playing Captain and such substitute shall not be changed."

EDIT: Someone did (sooshii)...

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad