Post-Game Talk: Bruins vs Penguins 3/12 @ 7:30 II

Pie O My

May 26, 2010
Shawmut Center

TheReal13Linseman

Now accepting BitCoin
Oct 26, 2005
Nation's Capital
The first line will not be successful unless Horton and Lucic change their games. Krecji can continue with his matrix-like approach.

Horton, an imposing, muscle-bound physical specimen plays as though he's the 98-pound weakling who continually gets sand kicked in his face while at the beach. He's decidedly un-Nasty on most nights. Rather, he's mostly a pacifist.

Lucic, on the other hand, is really only truly effective when he's angered. Which is like once every six or seven games. So, what do most teams do? They don't anger him. They just let him skate his slow circles in each zone and eventually meander to the bench.

These two need to get really intense, really mean, really NFL-like for MOST of their games to be truly effective. Maybe we need to get in some motivational speakers from the WWE for these guys, or something, but to me, it's really that simple. Our opponents have figured this out. They capitalize on it. The Bruins ignore this at their peril.

Pie O My

May 26, 2010
Shawmut Center
The first line will not be successful unless Horton and Lucic change their games. Krecji can continue with his matrix-like approach.

Horton, an imposing, muscle-bound physical specimen plays as though he's the 98-pound weakling who continually gets sand kicked in his face while at the beach. He's decidedly un-Nasty on most nights. Rather, he's mostly a pacifist.

Lucic, on the other hand, is really only truly effective when he's angered. Which is like once every six or seven games. So, what do most teams do? They don't anger him. They just let him skate his slow circles in each zone and eventually meander to the bench.

These two need to get really intense, really mean, really NFL-like for MOST of their games to be truly effective. Maybe we need to get in some motivational speakers from the WWE for these guys, or something, but to me, it's really that simple. Our opponents have figured this out. They capitalize on it. The Bruins ignore this at their peril.

hahah!! :laugh:

"Houda! Find me an exit!!"

Regina

Apr 11, 2004
Regina
www.corrine.ca
“Some really, really bad decision-making led to those goals,†said coach Claude Julien. “It’s of our own doing. We gave them that game when we had control of it.â€
Code:
“Some really, really bad decision-making led to those goals,†said coach Claude Julien. “It’s of our own doing. We gave them that game when we had control of it.â€

Could'nt agree more with the coach here.

Now, pass the chicken and lets get ready for Florida

Kaoz*

Kaoz you are wrong here. He had two guys wide open on the left side. The replay clearly shows it.

Yea sorry, I disagree.

KHL_breakout_zps0e662e3b.jpg

Krejci may be open on his side but is also completely focused on getting up ice, head down and motoring and is fully facing away from Seids... not a clean option. He also places himself between Seids and Lucic which really makes that an unclean breakout option as well (although again, a better option in hindsight).

The only clean breakout option is Horton, and really he's about as far away as you can get on the right hand side allowing for an easy poach (which Seids should have read).

KHL_breakout_better_zps222eec5f.jpg

Compare that to this breakout from the same line earlier in the season, the Dman has 3 solid options... all three are tight and all three have focus on being an option for an outlet pass.

Puck support from the forwards... it makes a difference.

Therick67

Apr 6, 2009
South of Boston

Lucic, on the other hand, is really only truly effective when he's angered. Which is like once every six or seven games. So, what do most teams do? They don't anger him. They just let him skate his slow circles in each zone and eventually meander to the bench.These two need to get really intense, really mean, really NFL-like for MOST of their games to be truly effective. Maybe we need to get in some motivational speakers from the WWE for these guys, or something, but to me, it's really that simple. Our opponents have figured this out. They capitalize on it. The Bruins ignore this at their peril.

I see Lucic open all the time down low near the net and off to the side and the puck isn't getting to him. he needs someone to get it to him. he's only got 33 shots on goal, Thornton has 22, Bourque has 40 in less games. That line as a whole is inconsitent.

It feels like Lucic ends up with the puck high in the zone along the boards, not the best place for his skillset IMO.

bigbadbruins1966

Nov 30, 2011
New Brunswick,Canada
The Bruins really nead an update...From the last couple of games its almost suffering watching the last 8 minutes of play.
I know we really need a 3rd line LW but the what about the Lucic Krejci and Horton's production ?
Even if the B's are top contenders I really feel we need some help asap if we want a chance at the big picture...
Your feedback would be appreciated

Regina

Apr 11, 2004
Regina
www.corrine.ca
Yea sorry, I disagree.

Krejci may be open on his side but is also completely focused on getting up ice, head down and motoring and is fully facing away from Seids... not a clean option. He also places himself between Seids and Lucic which really makes that an unclean breakout option as well (although again, a better option in hindsight).

The only clean breakout option is Horton, and really he's about as far away as you can get on the right hand side allowing for an easy poach (which Seids should have read).

KHL_breakout_better_zps222eec5f.jpg

Compare that to this breakout from the same line earlier in the season, the Dman has 3 solid options... all three are tight and all three have focus on being an option for an outlet pass.

Puck support from the forwards... it makes a difference.

The out was there to Lucic and zero pressure on Sidenberg to make that pass , regardless where they are in the photo .
If you asked Sidenberg this morning about that pass he made , I would venture to say it was not about the fine German engineering we are accustomed to .

Jeff077

Aug 2, 2005
Perth, Ontario
The Bruins really nead an update...From the last couple of games its almost suffering watching the last 8 minutes of play.
I know we really need a 3rd line LW but the what about the Lucic Krejci and Horton's production ?
Even if the B's are top contenders I really feel we need some help asap if we want a chance at the big picture...
Your feedback would be appreciated

I get the feeling it is a stale environment right now. Everyone seems too confortable. I am not convinced their record is truely an indication of how they have been playing.
I think updates and some changes need to be done to the roster and I honestly think that it will happen, not even counting the Sodeberg situation.
I think Chia is going to make a deal that moves a top 9 for sure and potentially a top 6 forward ( Horton ) as well as a D that is not named, Chara, Seidenburg or Hamilton.
If they feel they will/cannot resign Horton I think they will move him in the right trade. Just my opinion.

CamFan81

HF Snob Agitator
Mar 22, 2009
RI
The out was there to Lucic and zero pressure on Sidenberg to make that pass , regardless where they are in the photo .
If you asked Sidenberg this morning about that pass he made , I would venture to say it was not about the fine German engineering we are accustomed to .

he already addmitted yesterday, although he's a professional athlete and I wouldn't expect anything less.

However you absolutely right (imo) that he could of skated up a bit, could of banked it to lucic, could of called out krejci, or in the least fired it up the wall and both would of seen the puck clear the blue line.

Have to look at that play and remember, these are pro's and not only pro's but top of the line pro's. If he can't make an outlet pass with two guys on his wing, inside his zone without an opponent in the way - My goodness
(he obviously can, which is why it was frustrating)

Therick67

Apr 6, 2009
South of Boston
Seidenberg could have gone off the wall to Lucic or flipped it off the glass. He made the worst possible play with 2 minutes left in the game and his team reeling.

Pie O My

May 26, 2010
Shawmut Center

hmmm, i don't know about that. He has the puck directly in front of him so he would have to make an adjustment if he wanted to get it to Looch, thereby telegraphing the pass. Best option there is to lug it out a few more strides. Wonder if fatigue had anything to do with not skating a few more strides. ;)

Kaoz*

Tough out to Lucic with a bank off the boards or clean pass to Horton... while I don't forgive Seids for making that pass in the least it most certainly should not have been his best option. And no doubt Seids is kicking himself for making that pass but I'm not sure how anyone can say the forwards played that breakout properly.

Seids should have had 3 clean options in that case as there was little pressure, or at the very least two close to him. Instead he had one a mile away, late in a game in which his team was reeling. That's guaranteed sloppy play through the neutral zone.

Therick67

Apr 6, 2009
South of Boston
Tough out to Lucic with a bank off the boards or clean pass to Horton... while I don't forgive Seids for making that pass in the least it most certainly should not have been his best option. And no doubt Seids is kicking himself for making that pass but I'm not sure how anyone can say the forwards played that breakout properly.Seids should have had 3 clean options in that case as there was little pressure, or at the very least two close to him. Instead he had one a mile away, late in a game in which his team was reeling. That's guaranteed sloppy play through the neutral zone.

Horton wasn't in bad position, but could have come back for the pass. Krecjis had his back to him and gave a partial screen of Lucic. Lucic was in the right position. Having said that, Seidenberg could have flipped the puck out of the zone, you dont make that risky pass in a tie game with 2 minutes left.

Pie O My

May 26, 2010
Shawmut Center
Tough out to Lucic with a bank off the boards or clean pass to Horton... while I don't forgive Seids for making that pass in the least it most certainly should not have been his best option. And no doubt Seids is kicking himself for making that pass but I'm not sure how anyone can say the forwards played that breakout properly.

Seids should have had 3 clean options in that case as there was little pressure, or at the very least two close to him. Instead he had one a mile away, late in a game in which his team was reeling. That's guaranteed sloppy play through the neutral zone.

exactly. He doesn't have time to freeze frame his options and disect them. he has a split second to survey and choose. all he saw on his left was a white shirt with his back to him.

great X and O find on your part btw.

TheBlatt

Nov 4, 2007
Marlborough, MA
I am sure I am not saying anything not already said, but I was thoroughly embarassed by their lack of energy (I really don't care if they were tired). They have another two months of condensed schedule, so if this is going to be the excuse, we might as well assume we go 50/50 the rest of the way.

I saw the Pens FLYING around the ice, HITTING and finishing checks. And I saw at least 5 or 6 times in the last 5 minutes where a Bruin could've delivered a hit and shied away.

Get Dirty
Get Nasty
Stir up trouble

Change the momentum somehow, rather than playing scared.

Someone should tell the Bruin's that their wives taste like Honey Nut Cheerios right before the game. Actually, no. They shouldn't NEED motivation in order to play hard for 60 minutes.

This is becoming a recurring theme. We are not 'Big'. And we certainly aren't 'Bad' right now, which is how they are when they play their best.

Yes, we are still 17-4-3, but if not for seemingly lack of effort, we might have a better record than the Blackhawks right now.

BMC

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Sep 26, 2003
The Quiet Corner

IMO Horton simply has not been the same player since his last concussion. I don't know if it is deliberate on his part or subconscious but he's just not as aggressive out there as he once was.

Lucic may have dialed back his game because he now knows that if he so much as glares at someone there is a good probability he will end up in the penalty box. Personally if I was him I'd say "**** it, they're gonna call it so I might as well be guilty" and just play his game. But that's just me ;)

And since these two aren't bringing their A games that leaves Krejci hanging. Yes #46drives me crazy at times with his vanishing act. However it is hard for a center to make plays when his wingers are out to lunch 2 games out of 3.

Regina

Apr 11, 2004
Regina
www.corrine.ca
hmmm, i don't know about that. He has the puck directly in front of him so he would have to make an adjustment if he wanted to get it to Looch, thereby telegraphing the pass. Best option there is to lug it out a few more strides. Wonder if fatigue had anything to do with not skating a few more strides. ;)

:laugh:

My oh my........we are spinning our wheels here this morning , going around and adround and ending up at the exact same spot we started in each instance all with the same conclusion...

iI9Nlfxn7xCe0.gif

Which is why doesn't Clode share his chicken :laugh:

DKH

The Bergeron of HF
Feb 27, 2002
IMO Horton simply has not been the same player since his last concussion. I don't know if it is deliberate on his part or subconscious but he's just not as aggressive out there as he once was.

Lucic may have dialed back his game because he now knows that if he so much as glares at someone there is a good probability he will end up in the penalty box. Personally if I was him I'd say "**** it, they're gonna call it so I might as well be guilty" and just play his game. But that's just me ;)

And since these two aren't bringing their A games that leaves Krejci hanging. Yes #46drives me crazy at times with his vanishing act. However it is hard for a center to make plays when his wingers are out to lunch 2 games out of 3.

well said- couldn't agree more

btw- I got something out of that game; if I didn't already dislike the Pens because of Cooke I loathe them now. Just a smary bunch led by Crosby who has a natural bratty look (don't get me wrong I wish Syd the Kid perfect health every game he ever plays because he's an elite entertainer but man is he an irititating sob)

Regina

Apr 11, 2004
Regina
www.corrine.ca

Thats a great photo , thanks for posting it . I'm sure Dennis will love starring at it all day :laugh:

Looking at the way Sidenbergs' head is titlted , I don't think he never looked to his left for the out option which he had two. One being Lucic and the other being glass. Or three , skating it the ^&&^%$ out .

I wonder if he was tired :laugh: or something , fatigued perhaps .

I'm fatigued just thinking about them being fatigued

bp13

Dec 30, 2003
Visit site
Are we really taking a snapshot of an image and judging based on that split second? And we're going to ignore the placement of the opposing d-men in this picture? Or how much time Seidenberg might have to skate and let Krejci give him an outlet further up the boards, which he obviously intends to do? And come on...Lucic is an outlet even in that spot.

But Kaoz..please let me be clear...I AM NOT JUDGING SEIDENBERG there. Others might be, but I am not. He made a mistake, obviously. It was a lapse in judgment. But to defend him, he was being aggressive. And as Bruins fans we can't have it both ways. I can't knock the defense for never making the homerun pass or never making a cross-ice pass and then nitpick when one fails. So here one failed. Oh well. Doesn't bother me one bit more than any other lapse in judgment that occurs when a player is tired or pressing or whatever else.

Pie O My

May 26, 2010
Shawmut Center

Thats a great photo , thanks for posting it . I'm sure Dennis will love starring at it all day :laugh:

Looking at the way Sidenbergs' head is titlted , I don't think he never looked to his left for the out option which he had two. One being Lucic and the other being glass. Or three , skating it the ^&&^%$ out .

I wonder if he was tired :laugh: or something , fatigued perhaps .

I'm fatigued just thinking about them being fatigued

this thread is taking so much out of me that i'm going to have lay down for a few.

lopey

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jan 27, 2009
Frozen Tundra Northern Ontario
One thing I get out of these collapses is that it shows we are lacking in depth scoring. We cannot rely on only the Bergy line to score goals. Horton and Lucic are just coasting right now, but I know they will wake up. We need another scorer on this team, and I think another DMan. I love Mcquaid, but he has been awful this year, as has Ference.

Chia and Neely are looking at this team right now as is and they know we need to make some changes, not drastic but they need another scorer and a solid Dman

I have faith they will get them

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad