Bruins Veteran Leadership Group vs. Kessel/Seguin/Hamilton

Gonzothe7thDman

Jun 24, 2007
Central, Ma
Started typing the same response when I scrolled down and saw what you said.

Just wanted to quote this so everybody reads this and stops with the "Kessel wanted out"

Can we as a fan base stop with this collective nonsense at some point? The team tried to trade the guy 3 times before he left. The team didn't want him and his wanting out was due to that. How many times can a team try to trade you before you realize you're not viewed as part of the core? It's absurd to continue this myth about how he shunned them. They tried to move him multiple times, over multiple seasons. That showed everyone in the league that they didn't want to keep him.

Yeah but he decided to leave. It's hard to understand you when you clearly say he didn't want to leave. But he did, regardless of the reason.

If you would read between the lines and realize that the current narrative is Kessel wanted out because of weight room issues, Julien, food, lazyness etc. When that cleary isn't true. Management tried to move him multiple times, so when it came to contract negotiations, it was pay me what i'm worth. Why would he negotiate and take a team friendly deal when the team was constantly trying to move him?
Makes no sense.

Either your being obtuse or you don't understand.

Hopefully its been made clear.

bb_fan

Feb 27, 2002
boston
Visit site
Yeah but he decided to leave. It's hard to understand you when you clearly say he didn't want to leave. But he did, regardless of the reason.

there's a huge difference between a player choosing to leave on his own (by all accounts, Dougie), and being forced into the choice by others (like being traded 3 times only to have the deals fall thru at the last minute) not to mention, Chia signed everyone but him going into that off season, and there really wasn't much cap space left for him.

so in the same tone, its hard to understand you when you keep saying 'but but but he wanted to leave' as if it were his choice uninfluenced by anything, like the fact that the team your on wants you gone.

jgatie

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Sep 22, 2011
If you would read between the lines and realize that the current narrative is Kessel wanted out because of weight room issues, Julien, food, lazyness etc. When that cleary isn't true. Management tried to move him multiple times, so when it came to contract negotiations, it was pay me what i'm worth. Why would he negotiate and take a team friendly deal when the team was constantly trying to move him?
Makes no sense.

But that isn't the narrative. The narrative is that Boston tried to move him because of various reasons, including laziness and a bad work ethic (all discussed by more than one pundit far before he was traded).

member 96824

Makes no sense.

Similar situation with Tim Thomas.

For Tim, many fans expected him to remain loyal to the Boston Bruins, however when it came to the Boston Bruins, they were not expected to remain loyal to Tim Thomas.

Players are always the bad guys in these situations when they try to control anything. Looked down upon for not wanting to play somewhere, or for taking a bigger paycheck. Yet if the "name on the front" wants to ship them out of town or pay them less than they're worth it's no issue. Weird.

Shoebottom

Bruin exiting lair
Aug 31, 2005
7 steps from my can
Makes no sense.

But those are the reasons why Boston wanted to trade him. It wasn't just because they felt like it. You don't try to get rid of 30 goal scorers unless you have a good reason. Either you are being obtuse or just don't understand the situation of why kessel was traded. Same reason leafs are trying to unload him. It's not a smear campaign lol.

finchster

Jul 12, 2006
Antalya
But those are the reasons why Boston wanted to trade him. It wasn't just because they felt like it. You don't try to get rid of 30 goal scorers unless you have a good reason. Either you are being obtuse or just don't understand the situation of why kessel was traded. Same reason leafs are trying to unload him. It's not a smear campaign lol.

The Bruin tried to trade him BEFORE they even drafted him, they didn't want him even at the draft, but had to take him because he was the top talent by far.

This is the biggest problem I have with peoples mentality today.

It isn't the 'good ole days' when Gordie Howe played for peanuts and owner ruled the NHL with an iron fist. You are dealing with young millionaires. There are going to be egos, locker room problems and personalities that don't mix. The best management knows how to man manage. The Bruins are doing a piss poor job with this and will find themselves at the bottom of the NHL soon enough.

Gonzothe7thDman

Jun 24, 2007
Central, Ma

The Bruin tried to trade him BEFORE they even drafted him, they didn't want him even at the draft, but had to take him because he was the top talent by far.

It isn't the 'good ole days' when Gordie Howe played for peanuts and owner ruled the NHL with an iron fist. You are dealing with young millionaires. There are going to be egos, locker room problems and personalities that don't mix. The best management knows how to man manage. The Bruins are doing a piss poor job with this and will find themselves at the bottom of the NHL soon enough.

See above.

Good post Finchster.

But that isn't the narrative. The narrative is that Boston tried to move him because of various reasons, including laziness and a bad work ethic (all discussed by more than one pundit far before he was traded).

8BostonRocker24

Feb 8, 2006
Silicon Valley
I'm an engineering manager in Silicon Valley. I manage some of the most talented mechanical / optical / hardware / electrical / software engineers in the world with egos to match their talent sometimes.

I find myself saying this about 3 times a year:
You don't have to like each other, but as long as you work for me, you will respect each other and work toward a common goal. I do not accept undercutting coworkers on my team

LSCII

Cup driven
Mar 1, 2002
Central MA
Why didn't Kessel counteroffer Chiarelli's offer?

Depends on who you believe. Kessel's agent said PC never reached out to him or returned his calls. PC said Kessel's agent never countered. Seems like a he said she said situation with the truth probably being in the middle.

Spanky185

Dec 1, 2014
Between BOS and NYC
It's like they bought the spin the front office was selling, and completely forgot the reality of what happened in the years before the trade. It's insane. Kessel wanted out. He wouldn't negotiate. He kicks puppies. He didn't lift weights. He had no friends on the team. Blah, blah, blah. Whatever. PR games are meaningless. On ice is all I care about, and the Bruins have continually moved offensively elite players and kept pluggers and grinders over them because Julien can't or won't adjust his system to incorporate those kinds of players.

nailed it

as long as the player isn't doing something that's going to land him in jail, does it really matter what he does off the field/ice?

Shoebottom

Bruin exiting lair
Aug 31, 2005
7 steps from my can

Yeah and it worked out because they got a nice return for their investment even if they didn't really like him. You make it sound like all top prospects are dicks, they aren't. Most have their heads on straight.

LSCII

Cup driven
Mar 1, 2002
Central MA
nailed it

as long as the player isn't doing something that's going to land him in jail, does it really matter what he does off the field/ice?

Agreed. I don't care if he's a party animal or a choirboy just as long as it doesn't impact the performance.

finchster

Jul 12, 2006
Antalya
Yeah and it worked out because they got a nice return for their investment even if they didn't really like him. You make it sound like all top prospects are dicks, they aren't. Most have their heads on straight.

I never said that all prospects were 'Richard's', I never made that argument once. But guess what? You are going to have some Richard's on your team. How management can effectively manage these egos and personalities will be the difference between winning and losing. If the Hawks can deal with a party animal and an adulterer and win three cups, why do the Bruins need to ship out an awkward guy ? It's non-sense.

Rubber Biscuit

Sep 9, 2010
Long Island
In the case of Hamilton and Seguin, I think it's really tough for young, super talented high draft picks to step in to an established team like this.

Tampbear

Apr 10, 2015
Tampa
In the case of Hamilton and Seguin, I think it's really tough for young, super talented high draft picks to step in to an established team like this.

I think there is some truth to this seeing it with Drouin in Tampa. Ultimately I think it was CJ and Neeley that resulted in so many people leaving Boston.

PIMsCup

Nov 18, 2014
LA / NH Boston?
Are we expecting the same guys to wear the letters this year? If I'm Chara, I'm trading places with Bergeron. This seems like the type of passing of the torch that he would pull. Thoughts?

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad