Bruins Veteran Leadership Group vs. Kessel/Seguin/Hamilton

ThorntonFightClub*

Apr 21, 2015
Providence, RI
I have no problem with the team expecting all players to put in the work needed off the ice. Nor do i have a problem with them expecting all players to give effort in all 3 zones. They never asked Seguin or Kessel to be Selke candidates, just to put the effort into the D zone and puck battles.

We praise the Patriots for holding all players to this type of standard.

jgatie

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Sep 22, 2011
It's not the veteran leadership that's the problem. It's Julien and his rigid system. Dougie left because he didn't want to play within that structure anymore. It limits the player's offensive creativity and takes away their strengths. Kessel didn't enjoy it, Seguin clearly likes playing elsewhere. Wheeler as well. At some point you have to grasp the concept that it's not the young players who are the problem. It's the coaches structure that, while it can keep them in games, also prevents the players from being their best possible offensive version. If you're an offensive player and you come to Boston, you know you're not going to be allowed to use your best attributes, and that if you don't execute within the framework of the vaunted system, you'll be shipped out.

Your ability to mold reality to your own agenda is positively staggering. :amazed:

BMC

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Sep 26, 2003
The Quiet Corner
It's not the veteran leadership that's the problem. It's Julien and his rigid system. Dougie left because he didn't want to play within that structure anymore. It limits the player's offensive creativity and takes away their strengths. Kessel didn't enjoy it, Seguin clearly likes playing elsewhere. Wheeler as well. At some point you have to grasp the concept that it's not the young players who are the problem. It's the coaches structure that, while it can keep them in games, also prevents the players from being their best possible offensive version. If you're an offensive player and you come to Boston, you know you're not going to be allowed to use your best attributes, and that if you don't execute within the framework of the vaunted system, you'll be shipped out.

Lonnie I've said this before- you don't let the inmates run the asylum. If Julien doesn't have the same expectations for every player on the team his system cannot work. He can't allow the "elite" players to do whatever they hell they want while the rest of the team has to work their ***** off at both ends of the ice or ride the pine. That's a recipe for losing on the ice and resentment in the locker room.

I respect Claude for having the same expectations from the "elites" as he does from the muckers.

BMC

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Sep 26, 2003
The Quiet Corner
I have no problem with the team expecting all players to put in the work needed off the ice. Nor do i have a problem with them expecting all players to give effort in all 3 zones. They never asked Seguin or Kessel to be Selke candidates, just to put the effort into the D zone and puck battles.

We praise the Patriots for holding all players to this type of standard.

Exactly!!! :nod:

SPV

Zoinks!
Sponsor
Feb 4, 2003
New Hampshire
hfboards.com
I think there is something to the fact that our team leaders were mostly 2nd round talents and worked their way up. Could be good natured ribbing, but that Krejci called Seguin "Franchise" sort of lends to that mentality.

Those guys could look at blue chips like Seguin & Hamilton and Kessel and think they are like the rich entitled kids. Might not be a real issue per say; but it's something that could set a tone for a relationship. Could even go deeper into the conspiracy wheel and say that the team didn't trade up or look for a blue chip guy because they wanted to bring in more guys with that mentality.

BNHL

Dec 22, 2006
Boston
3 young prodigies who have had their ***** kissed their entire life. Now they aren't being coddled,are in an organization with some stone cold professionals and a demanding coach who favors veterans. They are all told their games need modification and all 3 resisted their way out of town.

BMC

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Sep 26, 2003
The Quiet Corner
3 young prodigies who have had their ***** kissed their entire life. Now they aren't being coddled,are in an organization with some stone cold professionals and a demanding coach who favors veterans. They are all told their games need modification and all 3 resisted their way out of town.

It certainly seems that way.

ThorntonFightClub*

Apr 21, 2015
Providence, RI

yup, think its a combo of this and SPV's point.

the leadership (Bergeron, Chara, Krejci, Rask) all had to work their tails off to be what they are. more of a blue collar group.

Kessel, Seguin and Hamilton have been told since they were 13 that they're the greatest thing since sliced bread. they have been able to coast a bit beacuse of having so much more talent than their peers.

they hit the NHL where all of a sudden no one is kissing their backside and they can't handle it.

I for one want the Bruins to keep the blue collar, hard work mentality. Making exceptions for young stars makes you Dallas. Lots of flashy highlights, zero substance

LSCII

Cup driven
Mar 1, 2002
Central MA
Lonnie I've said this before- you don't let the inmates run the asylum. If Julien doesn't have the same expectations for every player on the team his system cannot work. He can't allow the "elite" players to do whatever they hell they want while the rest of the team has to work their ***** off at both ends of the ice or ride the pine. That's a recipe for losing on the ice and resentment in the locker room.

I respect Claude for having the same expectations from the "elites" as he does from the muckers.

Good coaches look at the roster and try to adjust the system to better fit the players they have. Julien does not. He takes the players and adjusts their game instead. It's why all the young offensively elite players we've had here haven't enjoyed playing for him. It's why they all leave and have better numbers. He's stymied their growth offensively for growth of their defensive game. To me, there has to be a better mix. It can't be all offense, but it can't be all defense either. That failure to adjust his system is on him. It's the biggest reason he needs to go, and why I was disappointed when they said he was staying. What they want and what he does are very different. It's going to be a complete train wreck this season.

BNHL

Dec 22, 2006
Boston

the leadership (Bergeron, Chara, Krejci, Rask) all had to work their tails off to be what they are. more of a blue collar group.

Kessel, Seguin and Hamilton have been told since they were 13 that they're the greatest thing since sliced bread. they have been able to coast a bit beacuse of having so much more talent than their peers.

they hit the NHL where all of a sudden no one is kissing their backside and they can't handle it.

I for one want the Bruins to keep the blue collar, hard work mentality. Making exceptions for young stars makes you Dallas. Lots of flashy highlights, zero substance

I'll bet that for Seguin and Kessel the ass kissing started around 6.

BigGoalBrad

Jun 3, 2012

OF the 3 of them the Bruins were absolutely the LEAST in the wrong with Hamilton.

Seguin and Kessel there were major blunders by us. Seguin was never given a shot at playing center with offensive players with no training wheels for example Kessel not worth 5 mil per and almost traded to Nashville for Blum you couldn't sign Kessel long term and let him be our Patrick Kane?

BNHL

Dec 22, 2006
Boston
I'll bet that for Seguin and Kessel the ass kissing started around 6.

Seguin will probably never win a cup in Dallas and same for Kessel in Toronto. Hamilton might get close in Calgary. Most choices you make at 21 you won't make at 28. The choice of self over team.

BNHL

Dec 22, 2006
Boston
OF the 3 of them the Bruins were absolutely the LEAST in the wrong with Hamilton.

Seguin and Kessel there were major blunders by us. Seguin was never given a shot at playing center with offensive players with no training wheels for example Kessel not worth 5 mil per and almost traded to Nashville for Blum you couldn't sign Kessel long term and let him be our Patrick Kane?

Kessel refused to counteroffer. He wanted out.

Shaun

Oct 12, 2010
dougie probably saw campbell hop off the bench as the extra attacker with the goalie pulled one too many times to consider ever coming back.

LSCII

Cup driven
Mar 1, 2002
Central MA
Kessel refused to counteroffer. He wanted out.

Can we as a fan base stop with this collective nonsense at some point? The team tried to trade the guy 3 times before he left. The team didn't want him and his wanting out was due to that. How many times can a team try to trade you before you realize you're not viewed as part of the core? It's absurd to continue this myth about how he shunned them. They tried to move him multiple times, over multiple seasons. That showed everyone in the league that they didn't want to keep him.

Gonzothe7thDman

Jun 24, 2007
Central, Ma
Can we as a fan base stop with this collective nonsense at some point? The team tried to trade the guy 3 times before he left. The team didn't want him and his wanting out was due to that. How many times can a team try to trade you before you realize you're not viewed as part of the core? It's absurd to continue this myth about how he shunned them. They tried to move him multiple times, over multiple seasons. That showed everyone in the league that they didn't want to keep him.

Started typing the same response when I scrolled down and saw what you said.

Just wanted to quote this so everybody reads this and stops with the "Kessel wanted out"

Shoebottom

Bruin exiting lair
Aug 31, 2005
7 steps from my can
Each player left for different reasons. Well maybe kessel & Hamilton left under similar circumstances (threat of offer sheet and wanting to move) Not because of CJ or the vets. Kessel was pretty much the same age as Lucic, bergy, Krejci etc. so not sure you could call them vets at the time. Everyone knows the reasons why seguin had to go, zoo included. Hamilton just looks like he contracted a good dose of the lindros syndrome.

BNHL

Dec 22, 2006
Boston

Just wanted to quote this so everybody reads this and stops with the "Kessel wanted out"

Doesn't matter why he wanted out,he wanted out. Tried to trade him so he wanted out,didn't like the coach so he wanted out,didn't like the system so he wanted out. In the end,he wanted out and they obliged.

BNHL

Dec 22, 2006
Boston
Doesn't matter why he wanted out,he wanted out. Tried to trade him so he wanted out,didn't like the coach so he wanted out,didn't like the system so he wanted out. In the end,he wanted out and they obliged.

Same with Hamilton.

LSCII

Cup driven
Mar 1, 2002
Central MA

It's like they bought the spin the front office was selling, and completely forgot the reality of what happened in the years before the trade. It's insane. Kessel wanted out. He wouldn't negotiate. He kicks puppies. He didn't lift weights. He had no friends on the team. Blah, blah, blah. Whatever. PR games are meaningless. On ice is all I care about, and the Bruins have continually moved offensively elite players and kept pluggers and grinders over them because Julien can't or won't adjust his system to incorporate those kinds of players.

Gonzothe7thDman

Jun 24, 2007
Central, Ma
So you're saying that in the end kessel didn't want out? Like it was stated lscll, he read the message on the wall and wanted out.

I'm saying the decision was made for him. Who's going to stay when your constantly involved in trade rumors?

Not sure whats hard to understand about that. Unless your purposely being obtuse, which is sadly par for the course on this site.

Shoebottom

Bruin exiting lair
Aug 31, 2005
7 steps from my can
I'm saying the decision was made for him. Who's going to stay when your constantly involved in trade rumors?

Not sure whats hard to understand about that. Unless your purposely being obtuse, which is sadly par for the course on this site.

Yeah but he decided to leave. It's hard to understand you when you clearly say he didn't want to leave. But he did, regardless of the reason.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad