Confirmed with Link: Bruins Sign Niklas Svedberg; 1 year/$600K

Altamira

Sep 20, 2013
Massachusetts
Didn't he have a one million contract last year?

Nothing like getting promoted and taking 40% off.

I understand he'll be getting the money, because he's now one-way. It works for everybody. It's just funny to look at.

Nice work, Chia. Well done. Got what we needed.

The pennies are adding up.

According to CapGeek Svedberg's actual salary was $70k in Providence.

DNE3

Sep 14, 2010
The cap hit is an added bonus to getting to see what Svedberg can do at the NHL level, and maybe even more importantly what Subban can do if he's the starter for Providence going foreword.

Subban was the de facto starter from mid-season. Nothing official, but the eye test told the tale.

GordonHowe

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Sep 21, 2005
Watertown, Massachusetts
Coolskie.

I will take "Svedie" as No. 2, let Johnson go, and focus on filling out lines four, three (two and one?). Almost all of which will come from Providence (four & three), and, cap situation, et. al., via trade.

Be creative, Pete. Be *sharp* ;-\

GloveSave1

*** 15 ***
Jun 11, 2003
N.Windham, CT
According to CapGeek Svedberg's actual salary was $70k in Providence.

Yup. His NHL contract last year was 1 million.
But he didn't get a chance to earn it. Now he has a 600k NHL contract he will earn.

So, while he's taking a 400k hit on paper, he'll earn a lot more as it's one-way.

Like I said, works for everyone.

Ogrim

Oct 11, 2012
Stockholm
Would have liked Ochocinco back but let's be glad for this intense, nice kid. :)

Niklas "The Doorman" Svedberg

Caper Bruins fan

Dec 4, 2011
Cape Breton
Subban was the de facto starter from mid-season. Nothing official, but the eye test told the tale.

Not a good omen,obviously but it would be nice to have a goalie with some talent who can create some internal competition. Chad was fine as a Backup last year but it would be a nice luxury to have someone in the backup role who had the potential to be more than a backup, isn't that what Svedberg is supposed to be?

GloveSave1

*** 15 ***
Jun 11, 2003
N.Windham, CT
Not a good omen,obviously but it would be nice to have a goalie with some talent who can create some internal competition. Chad was fine as a Backup last year but it would be a nice luxury to have someone in the backup role who had the potential to be more than a backup, isn't that what Svedberg is supposed to be?

Nahh, I think the plan since they signed Rask big, is a 600k goalie, perferably, home-grown, with as much skill as possible. Rinse. Repeat.

Playing a year in the Bruins system will give you good numbers...a raise...and out of town...

Subban was a valuable chip that couldn't be passed on at that point in the draft. Mega, down the road value, that we could afford to sit on.

Sure, always prepare for the unexpected. Rask falls off. Injury. Gets hit by a bus. Whatever. Subban is in the pipe line.

But Subban is a grow, show, and move most-likely IMO. He certainly is outside the Bruins current back-up game plan.

DNE3

Sep 14, 2010

I expect Svedberg will rise to the occasion in Boston. Svedberg's main problem last year in AHL was he didn't want to be there, - or the body language in goal gave some indication of that - and he lost his focus/concentration in goal; shots that he normally stopped previous year were now going in. I expect he will get his focus back when faced with the challenge of NHL.

Last edited:

Caper Bruins fan

Dec 4, 2011
Cape Breton
Nahh, I think the plan since they signed Rask big, is a 600k goalie, perferably, home-grown, with as much skill as possible. Rinse. Repeat.

Playing a year in the Bruins system will give you good numbers...a raise...and out of town...

Subban was a valuable chip that couldn't be passed on at that point in the draft. Mega, down the road value, that we could afford to sit on.

Sure, always prepare for the unexpected. Rask falls off. Injury. Gets hit by a bus. Whatever. Subban is in the pipe line.

But Subban is a grow, show, and move most-likely IMO. He certainly is outside the Bruins current back-up game plan.

That philosophy might have to change if Rask has a so so playoffs next year particularly if we get bounced by Montreal again.

ODAAT

Oct 17, 2006
Victoria BC
So...is this a one year deal to see if he can compete at the NHL level, if not, hello Subban as the back up?

Central Scrutinizer

Lord of Song
Jan 6, 2010
montreal
Just what do you think they'd get for Subban?
Not much.

Miller,Hiller,Thomas all provide short to long term solutions for teams. All teams have to give up is $. And it's not like there will be a bidding war. How many teams need a #1 goalie?

This is why i am starting to think that teams should not pay a goalie more than 4m per year unless he is clearly the best in the league. Rask is not. Rask is in a group of about 10 goalies that can be that guy on any given night.

Maybe the Bruins should look to move Rask at the draft. Maybe get a high 1st round pick, sign Hiller to a 2-3 year deal at 4m, when the deal is up Subban should be ready to be a starter.

Solves the cap issue,Bruins get a really good prospect...

Or maybe they shouldn't...

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad