Confirmed with Link: Bruins sign Nick Foligno (2 years, $3.8M/yr)

mar2kbos

Sep 28, 2017
Isn't Nosek a bit of a pest as well? If so, we might be on the powerplay the whole game if all 4 are going.
Not sure would call him pest as purposely getting under people’s skin sort of like Frederic would do. He is just one of those competitors that people get mad at with the “it’s only a game Focker”

DKH

The Bergeron of HF
Feb 27, 2002
From Boston Globe today

An official with another NHL club that was bidding on Foligno was disappointed to see the veteran forward opt for Boston, noting that his club “needed help on the third line”. The club he noted , was not factoring on Foligno much in the way of production.

inactive user

Aug 20, 2020
From Boston Globe today

An official with another NHL club that was bidding on Foligno was disappointed to see the veteran forward opt for Boston, noting that his club “needed help on the third line”. The club he noted , was not factoring on Foligno much in the way of production.
That's gotta be Minny

Reactions: DKH

inactive user

Aug 20, 2020
I'm excited to get Foligno. Great leader, all heart, battles hard, sticks up for teammates. Sounds like a Bruin to me. I'm expecting about 30-35 points on the 3rd line, not gonna set the world on fire.
I'd be more than happy with 30-35 points but I see him putting up 20-25. Which is still decent production imo.

kjpm

Sponsor
May 28, 2011
I'm excited to get Foligno. Great leader, all heart, battles hard, sticks up for teammates. Sounds like a Bruin to me. I'm expecting about 30-35 points on the 3rd line, not gonna set the world on fire.

This all sounds pretty good and realistic to me. If he can replace Ritchie's production but with a more well rounded game the team will be better off. His defensive impact has been excellent the past few years too.

Still don't love the contract but when you consider Ritchie would likely get $3M+ in arbitration it softens the blow and two years isn't bad for the term. My main concern is whether he can stay healthy enough to be a factor in the playoffs. Even banged up he should be more of a contributor than the bottom six detritus they've been rolling out in recent years.

Reactions: Bodit9

Serpico

Aug 16, 2020
NYC
Hopefully he is like Backes when he first arrived. Just avoid concussions and diverticulitis

BruinsBtn

Dec 24, 2006
The one thing that's been missing on the powerplay for a couple years is a good net-front guy. Debrusk and Ritchie were flawed. Maybe Foligno is that guy.

Oates2Neely

Jan 19, 2010
Massachusetts
upload_2021-7-30_8-49-31.jpeg

goldnblack

Jun 24, 2020
No gm on earth trades Foligno for Ritchie straight up.

But if we had Ritchie at 2m for 4 years or something most of you who dislike the Foligno deal would be fine with it.

Foligno does everything better than Ritchie,
full stop. to get the flexibility of only a two year deal, you maybe pay 1m more per. it's not the end of the world,
and you have a very easy to move contract if you want.
I doubt we'll want to move him.

Dr Hook

It’s Called Ruins
Sponsor
Mar 9, 2005
Tyler, TX
Bergy knew what the team needed
They have enough skill they needed grit

Yep- Bergy has been playing against this guy regularly for his entire career. He knows what he is getting for a teammate and player and that ought to be good enough for us.

PaulD

Time for a new GM !
Feb 4, 2016
Dundas
Great sign by Sweeney.

BTW....are Bruins dealing with Rask this season in the same fashion lightening dealt with Kucherov last season.......if not, why not ???

BruinDust

Aug 2, 2005
Yep- Bergy has been playing against this guy regularly for his entire career. He knows what he is getting for a teammate and player and that ought to be good enough for us.

Foligno is one of the most respected players in the league. Here you have him and Bergeron, both part of the rare group of players who has won both the Messier Leadership and King Clancy awards for their contributions off-ice. (Others include former Bruin Jarome Iginla, Shane Doan, and Daniel Alfredsson).

I know people have been drawing the Backes comparisons but I'm not sure they are valid. Backes was a respected leader as well, but I find Foligno is a more skilled player than Backes was. Better skater, better shooter. More versatile as well. I just don't see many similarities there on-ice.

Reactions: inactive user

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad