Confirmed with Link: Bruins sign Nick Foligno (2 years, $3.8M/yr)

Johnny4778

Jan 26, 2006
Folingo battled injuries the last two years. Sounds like he is healthy and ready to go…. I personally am excited we are adding someone with his character to this team. I’ll judge him by how he does as a Bruin not how he played the last two years hurt with Columbus and Toronto.

EverettMike

FIRE DON SWEENEY INTO THE SUN
Mar 7, 2009
Everett, MA
twitter.com
Folingo battled injuries the last two years. Sounds like he is healthy and ready to go…. I personally am excited we are adding someone with his character to this team. I’ll judge him by how he does as a Bruin not how he played the last two years hurt with Columbus and Toronto.

This doesn't really make me feel better.

missingchicklet

Jan 24, 2010
Foligno's style of play makes me worry that his recent injury history is a case him starting to break down. I can accept that his decrease the past couple years in shooting pct is a result of being hurt, but the guy only knows one way to play, and that is balls to the wall aggressive hockey. Can he stay healthy playing that way nowadays? Not sure it's a good idea to give a guy who is going to be 34 early this season and is showing signs of decline a 2x3.8 contract at a time big needs are left unfulfilled. I absolutely loved watching Foligno around his peak 6 or 7 years ago, but this is 2021. Fan of the player, not so sure I agree with bringing him in here with that kind of contract given he's such a question mark at this point in his career.

Smitty93

Dec 6, 2012
My max on Foligno would have been 1 year, $3M. Anything else and I would have moved on to someone else.

If we're seriously talking about him as 2C :help:, then I would have much preferred Pius Suter, who is cheaper, younger, and has more upside. I would have taken Bonino over him too, who was much cheaper. You can't tell me that those two would have rather played for Detroit and San Jose than Boston if the money was equal.

Lobster57

Nov 22, 2006
Victoria, BC
My max on Foligno would have been 1 year, $3M. Anything else and I would have moved on to someone else.

If we're seriously talking about him as 2C :help:, then I would have much preferred Pius Suter, who is cheaper, younger, and has more upside. I would have taken Bonino over him too, who was much cheaper. You can't tell me that those two would have rather played for Detroit and San Jose than Boston if the money was equal.
Taylor Hall and Craig Smith or Tyler Bertuzzi and Robby Fabbri?

BruinsFanSince94

The Perfect Fan ™
Sep 28, 2017
New England

I highly doubt we see Foligno at center. This has to be one of those things where the player is saying he is here to help wherever he is needed. MAYBE he gets some looks with Hall/Smith in TC/PS, or late in games, etc. etc. but I don't see it being a long term option. The one I'd really expect to get a look if not Coyle is Haula.

With that, I'd take Foligno in a 3rd line role over Bonino. It's definitely a preference thing but I'm actually excited to see what Foligno brings to the team. The bottom 6 desperately needs his game style. Injuries are a factor so I hope he stays healthy, but on this short term situation, give me a hungry veteran like Foligno who I believe will bring the leadership, physicality, accountability to the table along with continued sound defensive play, versatility and some offense.

Reactions: 22Brad Park

inactive user

Aug 20, 2020
Until you watch him play.

Foligno is done. Cooked. He’ll PK and….yeah. He’ll PK.

I’ll take an overweight player over a guy who can’t even step on the ice or turn to back check because his back is in a blender.
Oh please, you were probably one the Leafs fans drooling at the idea of acquiring Foligno at the TDL last year. Go back to your board and continue planning the parade. :laugh:

finchster

Jul 12, 2006
Antalya
Do you know what happens to NHL players in their mid-30s with injury problems? They tend to be far less effective and retire. Saying a player had injuries is legitimate when they are in their mid-20s, not their mid-30s.

I won't be shocked if this turns out to be Matt Belsesky and David Backes all over again. At least it is a two year contract

22Brad Park

Nov 23, 2008
Calgary AB
I highly doubt we see Foligno at center. This has to be one of those things where the player is saying he is here to help wherever he is needed. MAYBE he gets some looks with Hall/Smith in TC/PS, or late in games, etc. etc. but I don't see it being a long term option. The one I'd really expect to get a look if not Coyle is Haula.

With that, I'd take Foligno in a 3rd line role over Bonino. It's definitely a preference thing but I'm actually excited to see what Foligno brings to the team. The bottom 6 desperately needs his game style. Injuries are a factor so I hope he stays healthy, but on this short term situation, give me a hungry veteran like Foligno who I believe will bring the leadership, physicality, accountability to the table along with continued sound defensive play, versatility and some offense.

Yea Haula can fly and has skill.I agree here and hope he gets a good look next to Hall.

Reactions: ylekot

CDJ

Nov 20, 2006
Hell baby
Ice time between 2nd and 3rd line often isn’t that different for the Bruins. They just clearly need to add a C who can log 17-18 min a night and can produce at a .5 PPG clip AT LEAST

The interesting part of that quote to me is that they plan on adding another defenseman and that was used as part of the “sell” to Foligno. That makes me a little relieved because for a second I thought they’d go into the season with what they have now

Debrusk for a defenseman is totally a thing that’s going to happen

Reactions: GabeTravels

WhalerTurnedBruin55

Fading out, thanks for the times.
Oct 31, 2008
Oh please, you were probably one the Leafs fans drooling at the idea of acquiring Foligno at the TDL last year. Go back to your board and continue planning the parade. :laugh:
I mean... Leafs fans are Leaf fans, but remember, plenty of Ducks fans came in here to warn us about Kase playing with his head down before he even stepped on the plane to Boston.

Honestly, feel like we should have our expectations of Foligno tempered.

Reactions: BMC

gvkmedia

20th Captain in franchise history.
Mar 2, 2002
Oshawa.
www.hollandbloorview.ca
Foligno will play RW will Coyle and Hall on the current line 2.
Only other option is Studnicka instead of Coyle to start.

Which I would be fine with and actually hopes what happens.

That leaves JDB - Coyle and Haula on line 3.

They will be fine.

UConn126

Bass Player.
Sponsor
Jun 12, 2010
Somerville, MA
No chance Sweeney doesn’t get another center IMO
I don't think he makes anymore moves until the trade deadline. Haula was the Krejci insurance policy and it's unfortunate we have to cash that in, but he was the 2C on Vegas' Cup team. He can hold it down until we have a chance to upgrade later in the season. We just don't have the assets, between our weak prospect pool and lack of expendable NHL talent, to bring in a worthwhile center right now. Any trade made now would be our crap for another team's crap and that not a trade I really want to make.

By waiting til the deadline, there will be players made available from teams that think they will compete now but may end up sucking. Philly is a prime example. They've been erratic the last several years, going from looking great to looking terrible and back again. After their moves this offseason, if they come out flat and suck this year, both Giroux and Couturier are pending UFAS... One or both may be made available if Philly decides to commit to a rebuild (or re-tool). Maybe Carolina can't figure it out this year and make Trochek available. Maybe Vancouver doesn't bounce back this year like they hope to and Miller becomes available.

LouJersey

Jun 29, 2002
Graves to Gardens
youtu.be
I don't think he makes anymore moves until the trade deadline. Haula was the Krejci insurance policy and it's unfortunate we have to cash that in, but he was the 2C on Vegas' Cup team. He can hold it down until we have a chance to upgrade later in the season. We just don't have the assets, between our weak prospect pool and lack of expendable NHL talent, to bring in a worthwhile center right now. Any trade made now would be our crap for another team's crap and that not a trade I really want to make.

By waiting til the deadline, there will be players made available from teams that think they will compete now but may end up sucking. Philly is a prime example. They've been erratic the last several years, going from looking great to looking terrible and back again. After their moves this offseason, if they come out flat and suck this year, both Giroux and Couturier are pending UFAS... One or both may be made available if Philly decides to commit to a rebuild (or re-tool). Maybe Carolina can't figure it out this year and make Trochek available. Maybe Vancouver doesn't bounce back this year like they hope to and Miller becomes available.

Can't see him keeping DeBrusk on the team as a healthy scratch. At minimum they will want more deadline space so he goes for picks, but Haula and Nosek IMO were brought here as LW...

Mione134

Queen in the North
Sponsor
Mar 30, 2010
Hogwarts-617
Can't see him keeping DeBrusk on the team as a healthy scratch. At minimum they will want more deadline space so he goes for picks, but Haula and Nosek IMO were brought here as LW...
Haula can play center. He's 55% at the dot. That's better than Coyle.

McGarnagle

Yes.
Aug 5, 2017
Worth noting that the person who takes the faceoff at the start of the shift doesn't necessarily have to be the one taking on the coverage role of the center. I could see Haula taking the draw then switching assignments with Coyle in the defensive zone, etc.

CDJ

Nov 20, 2006
Hell baby
Worth noting that the person who takes the faceoff at the start of the shift doesn't necessarily have to be the one taking on the coverage role of the center. I could see Haula taking the draw then switching assignments with Coyle in the defensive zone, etc.

my thoughts exactly

Haula will take certain draws, doesn’t mean he has to play center

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad