Confirmed with Link: Bruins sign Matt Irwin 1yr/$800K

Stone Clode

Kicks him, stunner!!
Jun 1, 2010
Swansea, MA
Definitely a cap move. I have a strong feeling they're going to deal Krug. Could be Seids but I really doubt it. Krug has much better value. They'll use Colin Miller / Franson as their primary PP guys. Wouldn't be shocked to see:

Chara - Franson
Seidenberg - McQuaid
Irwin/Morrow - K. Miller/C. Miller/Trotman

Keeping the L-R D-pairs intact. Bottom pair gets playing time based on who has the hot hand, maybe somebody emerges and moves up a pairing.

Flannelman

Quiet, Gnashgab.
Dec 3, 2006
steal of a deal. great value for him, imo.

He's a leftie... we're short righties... smelling somethin'

amazingcrwns

drop the puck
Feb 13, 2003
Western MA
Visit site
I don't understand the dislike for this move.

Solid, young defenceman with upside for 1yr & 800K.

115 GP over the past 2 seasons putting in 38pts (10G, 28A) over the last two season, plus he brings size and a solid level of determination.

Not even to mention he can skate! Which appears to be what Donny Boy is looking for.

I don't have any problem with the move. You need a strong stable of defensemen to survive an NHL season, and adding Irwin helps in that regard.

What I don't like is the bigger picture in that it looks like someone from the D group might be moving in order to free up cap space. It's not going to be Z or McQuaid, so that makes it look like Seidenberg or Krug might be shown the door. That would free up space for a top pairing guy while Irwin takes one of their spots on the depth chart at a much cheaper salary.

Chara - Franson
(Seidenberg - Trotman) or (Morrow - Seidenberg)
Irwin - McQuaid

Trap Jesus

Feb 13, 2012
Definitely a cap move. I have a strong feeling they're going to deal Krug. Could be Seids but I really doubt it. Krug has much better value. They'll use Colin Miller / Franson as their primary PP guys. Wouldn't be shocked to see:

Chara - Franson
Seidenberg - McQuaid

Keeping the L-R D-pairs intact. Bottom pair gets playing time based on who has the hot hand, maybe somebody emerges and moves up a pairing.

This would be a disaster of a pairing. They were awful together.

I wonder if dealing Krug is an option now though... Irwin isn't bench-material. He's a legit bottom-pairing guy that brings some offense to the table. They have Morrow waiting in the wings as well. Krug is much better, but makes you wonder if this is a cap move. Wouldn't put it past Sweeney.

Patrice Krejci*

Pastafarian
Aug 12, 2014
Washington DC

Chara - Franson
Seidenberg - McQuaid

I just don't get why they would get rid of Krug, guy wants to prove he can play top 4 to the Bruins brass and outscored all our Dmen and a lot of our forwards.

Helistin

Dustin's equilibrium
Aug 12, 2006
Close to you
I don't understand the dislike for this move.

Solid, young defenceman with upside for 1yr & 800K.

115 GP over the past 2 seasons putting in 38pts (10G, 28A) over the last two season, plus he brings size and a solid level of determination.

Not even to mention he can skate! Which appears to be what Donny Boy is looking for.

Yeah, he can skate. He's just very very slow at it. He has a booming shot though and can put up some points.
Hope he does well. Good luck Matt in Boston! :)

CombatOnContact

Feb 28, 2002
Ottawa
Visit site
Excellent signing. Adds competition to the blueline and should help to push all the borderline guys to step up.

I like the mix of Krug, Trotman, Morrow, C.Miller, K.Miller, Irwin. 3 of those 6 in the regular lineup with a healthy Chara/Seidenberg + McQuaid... Blueline isn't looking so bad now.

Then add in the younger guys Arnesson, Sherman, Zboril, Carlo, Lauzon... not bad at all :)

DKH

The Bergeron of HF
Feb 27, 2002
Strong cheap insurance and good competition for Miller, Trotman, morrow

Safety net/defenseman bridge signing

If they can get Franson on a good deal do it but otherwise this gets two thumbs up for the reason just given

I like it because it's what I would do

RussellmaniaKW

Sep 15, 2004
I'd be legitimately shocked if they dealt Krug. His value to the team is even higher now with Dougie gone and unlike Dougie he seems to love playing for this team. Honestly I think personality-wise Krug has become a core guy on this team.

If they can move Seids and sign Franson then IMO Irwin + Franson > Seidenberg.

They could also be looking at Oduya. He's been waiting for the Hawks to figure something out but may be running out of patience.

LSCII

Cup driven
Mar 1, 2002
Central MA

Chara - Franson
Seidenberg - McQuaid

The thought of moving Krug while keeping/overpaying guys like McQuaid makes me sick to my stomach...:laugh:

BB88

Jan 19, 2015

Chara - Franson
Seidenberg - McQuaid

We'd get rid of both of our top puck movers/skaters?
I just can't see how that D group could get close to playoffs.
Irwin+Franson are slow skaters, Seidenberg+Chara+McQuaid are slow skaters, I see us having ton of 1 goal games. That looks like a nightmare and I won't blame Rask if he loses it quite a few times this season.

1 2nd pairing + 2 3rd pairings with a unproven wing group. It was time to let go of McQ, push kids into 3rd pairing and give more cap to sign a new top4D and not trade someone like Krug.

Patrice Krejci*

Pastafarian
Aug 12, 2014
Washington DC
I'd be legitimately shocked if they dealt Krug. His value to the team is even higher now with Dougie gone and unlike Dougie he seems to love playing for this team. Honestly I think personality-wise Krug has become a core guy on this team.

If they can move Seids and sign Franson then IMO Irwin + Franson > Seidenberg.

They could also be looking at Oduya. He's been waiting for the Hawks to figure something out but may be running out of patience.

I agree on Krug being a core guy, he adds so much energy and some grit (albeit he isn't a "tough guy") to the lackluster blue line

SPV

Zoinks!
Sponsor
Feb 4, 2003
New Hampshire
hfboards.com
good signing.

Is Krug the odd man out if Franson is signed. Not a bad idea; I love Torey and his power play abilities are first rate; but is he worth 3.4 million? I don't know.

Krug does have value though; and we'd probably be able to package him and upgrade somewhere else and still have plenty of cap space.

Flannelman

Quiet, Gnashgab.
Dec 3, 2006
What if the trade Krug as part of a package for a top RHD? We don't know the pieces yet.

Frankie says relax

Trap Jesus

Feb 13, 2012

By no means would I want to trade Krug, but I certainly wouldn't be shocked. Irwin is a legit bottom-pairing guy that can bring offense to the table and clocks in at less than a quarter of Krug's cap hit. You also have Morrow on the brink of making the team as a PMD.

We know that Eriksson and Kelly have been rumored in trades for a while now to give the Bruins additional cap space, but Krug his right between them for salary.

Don't want it to happen, but definitely would not be shocked.

DKH

The Bergeron of HF
Feb 27, 2002
I just don't get why they would get rid of Krug, guy wants to prove he can play top 4 to the Bruins brass and outscored all our Dmen and a lot of our forwards.

Zero point zero they are getting rid of Krug. Sweeney has been watching him since he was 18. He is to Sweeney what Sobotka is to me. Bigger upset than Buster Douglas knocking out Mike Tyson.

trudatman*

http://www.nhl.com/ice/player.htm?id=8475625&docid=TeamPlayerBio:40957

Matt Irwin is a plus player who plays 15 to 20 minutes per game and shoots left with power, sinking 1 of every 20. he plays with a bit of grit but generally avoids fighting. he's 6'2", 210 pounds, 27 years old.

he's been getting very good ratings from me over the last few seasons. I'm quite pleased with this signing. what an excellent offseason this has been....so far.

Stone Clode

Kicks him, stunner!!
Jun 1, 2010
Swansea, MA
Just curious, but...what about this (give me a damn break, I'm bored :laugh:):

Bruins make this move to acquire a cheaper bottom pair guy with some offensive talent. Deal Krug, Koko, K. Miller to the Hawks for Seabrook. Gives the Hawks cap space, and gives them a good prospect, a good, cheap bottom pair option, plus a good player in Krug.

Bruins deal Kelly, free up remaining cap space to sign Franson.

Next year:

Chara - Seabrook
Seidenberg - Franson
Irwin/Morrow- McQuaid

7th guys: C. Miller and Trotman

Gives the Bruins good depth on the blueline plus some actual talent. Not sure if the cap actually works for this, just mostly me spitballing. Maybe throw in an additional prospect for Seabrook, but I feel like that's not completely out of the realm of possibility. Definitely gives the Bruins a more physical defense that they're looking for. Might definitely be on the slow side though.

RussellmaniaKW

Sep 15, 2004
Zero point zero they are getting rid of Krug. Sweeney has been watching him since he was 18. He is to Sweeney what Sobotka is to me. Bigger upset than Buster Douglas knocking out Mike Tyson.

this post made my day

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad