Confirmed with Link: Bruins Sign Lee Stempniak

Dr Hook

It’s Called Ruins
Sponsor
Mar 9, 2005
Tyler, TX
Bruins Sign Lee Stempniak; Place On Waivers For Purpose Of Assignment

Can someone please tell me what this means ?
Is he insurance and isnt' ever going to play, or will he be in the NHL ?

He was on a PTO in Prov, right? If they wanted to sign him and keep him playing there they needed to now. Maybe he gets called up after the TDL if no other moves happen. If so, Lee stays there and helps the PBruins in their playoffs. I suspect he might be insurance in case of injury.

JRull86

Jan 28, 2009
South Shore
He was on a PTO in Prov, right? If they wanted to sign him and keep him playing there they needed to now. Maybe he gets called up after the TDL if no other moves happen. If so, Lee stays there and helps the PBruins in their playoffs. I suspect he might be insurance in case of injury.
He was on a PTO, but he signed a one-way. He'll be in Boston tomorrow.

Dr Hook

It’s Called Ruins
Sponsor
Mar 9, 2005
Tyler, TX
He was on a PTO, but he signed a one-way. He'll be in Boston tomorrow.

The one way/ two way is just salary, though, right? One way he gets paid the same wherever he plays, two way he gets paid one rate in Prov, a much higher one in the NHL? Is there more to it than that?

Reactions: BruinsFanMike82

markwart

Jan 27, 2006
Some things never change with this organization! Not good enough to sign anywhere in the league but our GM will tout this as a great addition. Just lip service BS!:ha:

Reactions: since76

CDJ

Nov 20, 2006
Hell baby
Some things never change with this organization! Not good enough to sign anywhere in the league but our GM will tout this as a great addition. Just lip service BS!:ha:

He was only gonna play in Boston this year....he lives here and has his family here. Otherwise he was content with retiring

It’s depth

Take a deep breath. We will be ok.

JRull86

Jan 28, 2009
South Shore
The one way/ two way is just salary, though, right? One way he gets paid the same wherever he plays, two way he gets paid one rate in Prov, a much higher one in the NHL? Is there more to it than that?
It's a waivers thing, but after I re-read it, they signed to then placed him on waivers to head to AHL. So I misread, and apologize.

BruinDust

Aug 2, 2005
Shameful add.

No different than Gionta last year, do you want this guy and his vaunted "experience" in the line-up vs. a Tampa Bay team? Or do you want young fast legs, like, oh I don't know, Tampa?

Fact is, whether he's 15th F, or 16th F, or whatever, he's getting a look before a young player. As 36-year old JAG is going to get an opportunity before a young player they've invested time and money in.

Not to mention how ridiculous a notion is it that a player his age has ANY chance of getting up to the speed of the rest of the NHL that has been playing high-level hockey for 5-months now. Meanwhile the 36-year old Stempniak has been practicing.

Why do this now? Why not &^* do it back in October, at least ol' Suitcase could of been honing his game in Providence?

I get, why all the vitriol over a meaningless signing? We'll it's not meaningless, and when Lee Stempniak is costing the Bruins goals against the in the playoff because he can't keep up to the pace at his age and lack of recent high-level play, remember this post.

MillerTime86

Nov 30, 2018
Bruins usually add a veteran at the deadline for depth. Would you rather them add a guy like Stempniak which doesn’t require assets being forfeited, or would you rather have them trade for the same type of player and give something up to do it?

Capable veteran depth in the playoffs is never a bad thing to have, and he literally costs you nothing.

Nice add.

BruinDust

Aug 2, 2005
Bruins usually add a veteran at the deadline for depth. Would you rather them add a guy like Stempniak which doesn’t require assets being forfeited, or would you rather have them trade for the same type of player and give something up to do it?

Capable veteran depth in the playoffs is never a bad thing to have, and he literally costs you nothing.

Nice add.

I'd much rather give up an asset for a player whose actually been playing professional hockey the past 5 months.

BruinsBtn

Dec 24, 2006
Shameful add.

No different than Gionta last year, do you want this guy and his vaunted "experience" in the line-up vs. a Tampa Bay team? Or do you want young fast legs, like, oh I don't know, Tampa?

Fact is, whether he's 15th F, or 16th F, or whatever, he's getting a look before a young player. As 36-year old JAG is going to get an opportunity before a young player they've invested time and money in.

Not to mention how ridiculous a notion is it that a player his age has ANY chance of getting up to the speed of the rest of the NHL that has been playing high-level hockey for 5-months now. Meanwhile the 36-year old Stempniak has been practicing.

Why do this now? Why not &^* do it back in October, at least ol' Suitcase could of been honing his game in Providence?

I get, why all the vitriol over a meaningless signing? We'll it's not meaningless, and when Lee Stempniak is costing the Bruins goals against the in the playoff because he can't keep up to the pace at his age and lack of recent high-level play, remember this post.

This is rich because when they lost a good young player who had been playing all year (Cave) all you wanted to do was hate on him.

Cant even be happy when they literally get a player for free to play in the minors.

Reactions: weaponomega

MillerTime86

Nov 30, 2018
Easy. A 6th or 7th rounder. Which is what it would cost for a winger the caliber of Stempniak.
So you’d rather give up a draft pick to get a player who is the caliber of Stempniak (your words) than sign him for nothing. Ok, got it.

I think people are reading into this for a lot more than it is ... Which is strictly a depth move. The whole point of this is not to utilize Stempniak, but for him to be available in case we have to.

Reactions: weaponomega

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad