Confirmed with Link: Bruins sign Krug and Smith (1.4 each)

GordonHowe

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Sep 21, 2005
Watertown, Massachusetts
It? The cup? You think all three will be traded? Could be...then they'll put Kelly on the fourth line center if no one there can take faceoffs? Personally I'd rather see Kelly dealt and Campbell kept. Younger.

But I think we're on the right track again

Yes, the Cup. Closing window. It wouldn't surprise me if all three go, though I'm no expert.

I like Gregory Campbell a lot, but I would rather keep Chris Kelly for his leadership and versatility.

A lot of bad stuff has come "Kells" way via this board over the summer. I understand that he's older, overpaid, and through the past two years, injured & less than productive. Still, I'm a fan.

All things being equal, I say trade GC, Bart, and Wars, and perhaps a pick or two for decent cap space, insurance against injury, or who knows, that elusive third or first line (!) right wing.

I'm greatly relieved by these signings, and VL's release, in any case.

Alberta_OReilly_Fan

Bruin fan since 1975
Nov 26, 2006
Edmonton Canada
I'm still trying to figure that out myself. I did a "lazy man's roster" on CapGeek - all I did was move Savvy to LTIR. We'd have 12 forwards and 8D, which is a bit of a problem in theory, but here's how it went....

FORWARDS
Brad Marchand ($4.500m) / Patrice Bergeron ($6.500m) / Reilly Smith ($1.400m)
Milan Lucic ($6.000m) / David Krejci ($5.250m) / Loui Eriksson ($4.250m)
Daniel Paille ($1.300m) / Carl Soderberg ($1.008m) / Chris Kelly ($3.000m)
Justin Florek ($0.600m) / Gregory Campbell ($1.600m) / Jordan Caron ($0.600m)

DEFENSEMEN
Zdeno Chara ($6.917m) / Dennis Seidenberg ($4.000m)
Johnny Boychuk ($3.367m) / Adam McQuaid ($1.567m)
Torey Krug ($1.400m) / Matt Bartkowski ($1.250m)
Dougie Hamilton ($0.894m) / Kevan Miller ($0.800m)

GOALTENDERS
Tuukka Rask ($7.000m)
Niklas Svedberg ($0.600m)

BONUS OVERAGE
$4,779,500
------
SALARY CAP: $69,000,000; CAP PAYROLL: $68,582,000; BONUSES: $600,000
CAP SPACE (22-man roster): $418,000

So, we've got about $400K "left" if you do the minimal work of moving Florek up, make Caron dress for games on a regular basis, have 2 D-men in the press box, and keep Warsofsky in Providence. (N.B.: I am not advocating any of those moves in particular. I'm just number crunching.)

Just a few questions - this roster would be theoretically possible, right? We had a 22-man roster for most of last season, with 2 guys in the press box, didn't we - or was I just not paying attention?

Also, I'm pretty sure that the extra $400K would vanish due to various and sundry rules regarding the LTIR. However, there's still room with respect to who you want to pick BEFORE opening day. Instead of the cheap Florek ($600K), you could replace him with anyone worth up to about $1M - including Pastrnak ($925K).

I'm mainly asking this because I wonder why we "have" to move Boychuk, Bart, or Kelly for cap space. I get moving a D-man simply because it's nice to have a D and a forward in the press box....but Kelly wouldn't solve that problem, just the cap space problem.

Dealing mcquaid frees the money to sign gagne/leino giving us 14 forwards 7 dmen
dealing campbell creates room for spooner and a bit extra cap room for trade deadline day

If boychuk is dealt it will be a hockey trade/not a cap trade

The tea leaves tell us kelly wont be dealt... expect to see him with spooner to help spooner break into nhl smoother

KnightofBoston

Mar 22, 2010
The Valley of Pioneers
I wrote my first blog post/rant in relation to these signings.
Its about how the Bruins cannot trade Boychuk to save room now:
http://openicehit.wordpress.com/2014/09/29/why-the-bruins-cannot-trade-johnny-boychuk/
Agreed

Read fluto's blog recently, he's been way off the mark lately imo

"This is a good thing. After this season, Boychuk will command an annual salary north of $6 million. This is not money the Bruins are in good position to spend."

He MAY get that on the open market from an absolutely desperate team...but I don't see Boychuk doing that. I see him signing for close to Seidenberg money...something like 4.5-4.75... People need to remember Chara is only going to be elite for a little whole longer (and his cap hit is only 4 in his final year)

If the bruins don't think they can keep Boychuk in the fold they better have a big bodied work horse with a great shot who picks it up in the playoffs in mind...

Alberta_OReilly_Fan

Bruin fan since 1975
Nov 26, 2006
Edmonton Canada
Just worked out some quick math...assuming the team makes its final moves as i now forsee

Gagne makes the team and i see him with bergeron/marchand which frees smith to play with soderberg/paille giving us a three line attack

Kelly stays and helps spooner on the 4th line... caron and ftorek battle for the 12th forward

This makes campbell odd man out and his 1.6 mill a casualty.

We could afford to keep mcquaid but 1 dman must go

Chara likely to play with hamilton

i dont see seidenberg with boychuk so let boychuk protect krug

We know seidenberg can play right or left so partner him with bartowski/miller

Moving mcquaid and campbell and putting spooner in gives us over 3.5 to sign gagne and find a14th forward

There are a lot of teams that would love campbell/mcquaid and i think we could expect quite a decent bottom 6 rw in return

Once we know the cap hit of this guy we should give gagne a bonus deal that takes the cap hit to 73 mill. Then we ltir savard and max the caproom this year for a potential deadline day upgrade

Just dont make gagne bonus easy to reach because we dont want another penalty next year

member 96824

Under the CBA, Article 50.2(b)(i)(C)(2), there are only three groups of players which may have performance bonuses tied to their contracts. They are: players on entry-level deals; players who have 400 games of experience and were injured last season; and anybody who is over 35. In both of the latter two cases, the only way performance bonuses are allowed is if the player is on a one-year deal.

Alberta_OReilly_Fan

Bruin fan since 1975
Nov 26, 2006
Edmonton Canada
Under the CBA, Article 50.2(b)(i)(C)(2), there are only three groups of players which may have performance bonuses tied to their contracts. They are: players on entry-level deals; players who have 400 games of experience and were injured last season; and anybody who is over 35. In both of the latter two cases, the only way performance bonuses are allowed is if the player is on a one-year deal.

The last year gagne played he was injured... im betting he quafies for a bonus contract.

EverettMike

FIRE DON SWEENEY INTO THE SUN
Mar 7, 2009
Everett, MA
twitter.com
"I do not entertain hypotheticals. The world as it is is vexing enough."

Someone quoted that line a few months back (from True Grit), and if memory serves, you loved the quote.
I don't remember commenting on that quote. And I offered a scenario where they had leverage. Pick an argument somewhere else.

member 96824

The last year gagne played he was injured... im betting he quafies for a bonus contract.

He didn't play or have a contract last year.

It written "last season" not "the last season they played"

Not eligible for a bonus contract until 2015-16

EverettMike

FIRE DON SWEENEY INTO THE SUN
Mar 7, 2009
Everett, MA
twitter.com
What if the Bruins came out of the gate winning 9 of 10? Then they're in a pickle. Not in game shape, no money coming in, no leverage.

I don't think they could take that chance. Its not like they are veterans with a nice nest egg yet.

Sure. But even then, they weren't risking much if they signed for this low anyway. I just don't get this deal from there side, except that they probably already have wink wink deals in place.

DominicT

Sep 6, 2009
Stratford Ontario
dom.hockey
Once we know the cap hit of this guy we should give gagne a bonus deal that takes the cap hit to 73 mill. Then we ltir savard and max the caproom this year for a potential deadline day upgrade

Just dont make gagne bonus easy to reach because we dont want another penalty next year

Gagne signs for $1 million. Warsofsky (redundant) Traded.

Team carries 8 d-men to start. Bart and Campbell traded at some point to address the forward spots.

Oh, and Gagne is not eligible for performance bonuses

World of Wardlow

Unscripted Violence
Jul 13, 2006
Montreal
About time.

But boy, is PC going to have his hands full with all the UFAs and RFAs on this roster next season.

This is the end of the pact … everything will change next season … Who knows, Jordan Caron might finally have a regular season spot on the team.

pkunit

Jun 18, 2010
Calgary

Team carries 8 d-men to start. Bart and Campbell traded at some point to address the forward spots.

What would it matter? Everyone on here thinks he'll be injured while lacing his skates for game 1 warm ups.:sarcasm:

I for one can see him getting the 7th player award,and a Masterton nomination. But I'm an optimist.

Either way, the team is starting to come together!:yo:

Beesfan

Apr 10, 2006

It shouldn't take more than $700,000 to sign Gagne. I think both Warsofsky and Bartkowski should be traded now.

Alan Ryan

Jun 1, 2006
and once again Chia comes through. I am once again not shocked by this. Guy has a great track record of sigining our guys. I guess people are going to need something new to rip him on today.

It's really tiresome and annoying that some can't resist criticizing ad nausem. :shakehead

Alan Ryan

Jun 1, 2006

I was one of those who didn't think it would have been possible to get both of these guys under contract for less than three and a half between em. I was wrong.

Nice work on these deals, Chiarelli.

It was nice work by the GM. And it was also nice to see that Krug and Smith really want to be in Boston for the long haul and contribute to the team.

A win all around for a great organization with an outstanding culture.

ap3lovr

Dec 31, 2005
New Brunswick
I get the feeling that Chia already has a deal in place, otherwise he would have waited until Savvy was placed on LTIR to sign Krug or Smith. I'm just trying to figure out what it might be. Look to where there has been smoke to find fire. .

Isles
Edmonton
Carolina
Colorado

Chia has also stated several times he is looking for a hockey deal and the trade market is good right now. I'm expecting a deal purely for a late rounder, but nothing would surprise me.

Numbah4

Mar 6, 2008
I hope Canadian thanksgiving is September 30th.

You're not off by much. Oct 13th. I knew it was early because I went to a game in Montreal back in 1985. Didn't know it was Canadian Turkey Day and we couldn't get a hotel in Montreal. Had to drive back to NY.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad