Player Discussion Bruins sign Jack Ahcan

DKH

The Bergeron of HF
Feb 27, 2002
kid is a player. loved the signing from day 1.

as for gryz, i'd be shocked if they moved him. sweeney way too attached to these guys they draft
and develop, especially a kid that grew up in the building.
He traded Donato anything possible

Grzelcyk very good player

Reactions: AngryMilkcrates

bb74

Thanks for Everything Bill
Sep 24, 2003
Cuttyhunk
For a second there I thought Marty StLouis came out of retirement and donned the black and gold. The kid is small and fearless, although I didn't see exceptional edgework or skating which he will need to survive IMO. Surely will be rooting for him to succeed but I don't see his current skating allowing him to create space and time when things get tighter and faster. That's when the roof could cave in without the size to protect and call backup.

BruinDust

Aug 2, 2005
For a second there I thought Marty StLouis came out of retirement and donned the black and gold. The kid is small and fearless, although I didn't see exceptional edgework or skating which he will need to survive IMO. Surely will be rooting for him to succeed but I don't see his current skating allowing him to create space and time when things get tighter and faster. That's when the roof could cave in without the size to protect and call backup.

He's not the skater Gryz is, but just based on that clip package from last night, he's every bit the skater Torey Krug is/was.

BruinsNetwork

Jan 8, 2021

I’ve seen every game hes played from senior year on and personally, for my money, he’s a high-end skater with similar agility to Grzelcyk.

The difference in my eyes is he’s more powerful and deliberate in his stride, with more power on his stick, so he doesn’t need to cut latterly like Grz does.

BlackFrancis

Athletic Supporter Patch Partner
Dec 14, 2013
I’ve seen every game hes played from senior year on and personally, for my money, he’s a high-end skater with similar agility to Grzelcyk.

The difference in my eyes is he’s more powerful and deliberate in his stride, with more power on his stick, so he doesn’t need to cut latterly like Grz does.
He's capable of some pretty wild cuts of his own, as you've no doubt seen. Two different skaters, but both are top notch.

I saw a lot of things I saw out of Achan last season that fairly well convinced me he'd never be an NHL regular. I haven't had the time to watch Providence this season, so it was legitimately shocking to see how much work he's put in.

Reactions: 4ORRBRUIN

bb74

Thanks for Everything Bill
Sep 24, 2003
Cuttyhunk

Agree he's got more of that cannonball stance than Grz. Look, I'm not a pro scout or someone who has meaningful time to track all these guys and see them live time and again so I'm not trying to profess fact or judgement, just observations. What I see from the clips and highlight reels is a guy who doesn't have elite skating. B in most areas but not A or A+ in any. That's not a criticism, just my take. With his package if he was 6'2 / 210 he would be in the NHL right now and playing top 4. Without that elite skating to make time I see risk of him being exposed. He's got good sense on the recover and breakout and is certainly confident and creative.

If I'm game planning to seal him in his end, I take the first bank or direct pass off him with the N zone trap and play the chip and chase on his side. I just don't see the skating and recovery speed to counter that and as much as he could be a pitbull on the puck and give it his all, he risks getting beat and beat up. Just mother nature there...

Again, I'm no pro and have no agenda here. I hope he makes it and has a great productive career in the Black and Gold. Just calling it as I see it.

The National

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 27, 2017
Los Angeles
Ahcan Looking to Make Most of Latest Opportunity with B's

Ahcan concurred, acknowledging that he feels more at ease in his latest go-around with the big club. The Minnesota native pointed to the challenges that came with the pandemic-shortened season - his first professional campaign - as being roadblocks that stood in the way of becoming completely comfortable with life at both the AHL and NHL levels.

"Getting in a few times last year, was a little scrambly," said Ahcan, who played three games with Boston in 2020-21. "Getting back to it this year, it was pretty sweet…it was nice getting the full camp in before the season. Last year was kind of a quick camp and just played two teams last year [in the AHL], not even in our rink. The rink was a vaccine center down at the [Dunkin' Donuts Center], so we were playing in Marlborough against the same two teams, so this year's it's been nice to get accustomed to a regular AHL season.

"Even going on the road and stuff, getting in late, just kind of adapting to a regular AHL season. We didn't really get that last year. Every game was at 1 [o'clock]…you have a full week of practice, and you play one game on the weekend. The same two teams. It's nice to get it out of the way this year."

Sheppy

Nov 23, 2011
The Arctic
I thought he looked solid the other night, confident with the puck, not afraid to shoot. That's all you can ask for. Only knock is his size. He looks TINY.

Reactions: BMC

CDJ

Nov 20, 2006
Hell baby
Ahcan’s size worries me less than most d-men his size. He’s like a fire hydrant. Kinda reminds me of Maurice Jones-Drew. A short bowling ball

Reactions: AngryMilkcrates

The National

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 27, 2017
Los Angeles
Ahcan’s size worries me less than most d-men his size. He’s like a fire hydrant. Kinda reminds me of Maurice Jones-Drew. A short bowling ball
Hockey Reference has Ahcan weighing in 10 pounds heavier than Grz, while being an inch shorter.

He felt a lot thicker than Grz to me, maybe just skating style.

Reactions: hrdpuk

UConn126

Bass Player.
Sponsor
Jun 12, 2010
Somerville, MA
I went to a P-Bruins game a couple weeks ago (my first in well over a decade) and Achan was by far the most fun player to watch on either team.

Part of me wants to know of he can switch to wing lol. We need dynamic, offensive talent more up there. His size would be less of an issue there, too.

rocketdan9

Feb 5, 2009
can't put my finger on it...but Ahcan reminds me of a mashup between Krug and Grz

Stocky little guy but has better wheels than Krug. Good zig zag patterns/puck handling. Strong hard passes out of the zone

Hope they give him a longer look

The National

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 27, 2017
Los Angeles
can't put my finger on it...but Ahcan reminds me of a mashup between Krug and Grz

Stocky little guy but has better wheels than Krug. Good zig zag patterns/puck handling. Strong hard passes out of the zone

There’s no room for him unless they move someone out, which I could get behind.

The National

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 27, 2017
Los Angeles
Not popular...but I would consider trading Grz
I would too but not right now, probably in the offseason, if you’re hanging on to one or both of Vaak/Ahcan you need to move someone out on the left side. Grz has the most value, Reilly would be my first pick though.

Doubt it happens, Reilly maybe.

ChargersRookie

Jun 30, 2014
I would too but not right now, probably in the offseason, if you’re hanging on to one or both of Vaak/Ahcan you need to move someone out on the left side. Grz has the most value, Reilly would be my first pick though.

Doubt it happens, Reilly maybe.
I was surprised by Reilly's defense today.

Bruinswillwin77

My name is Pete
Sponsor
May 29, 2011
Hooksett, NH

I hope they hold onto him and not use him when Sweeney tries to buy at the deadline when some team asks for him as a throw-in for another 3rd liner or 6th defenseman

Reactions: rocketdan9

Dr Hook

It’s Called Ruins
Sponsor
Mar 9, 2005
Tyler, TX
Yeah I was too but he is what he is. Personally I’d try to take advantage of one of Vaak or Ahcan’s next contracts and move him out. Use the saved cap elsewhere.

He had a good game. Problem with him is that you might not see that again for a few days.

Dr Hook

It’s Called Ruins
Sponsor
Mar 9, 2005
Tyler, TX

I'm surprised no one here had a tantrum because he skated away from Watson after that hit.

Reactions: rocketdan9

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad