Player Discussion Bruins sign Jack Ahcan

DominicT

Sep 6, 2009
Stratford Ontario
dom.hockey
I think this kid deserves a thread of his own.

2 year deal beginning in 2020/2021 with a $925,000 AAV. Potential for $425,000 in performance bonuses in year two.

Sounds like there were at least 10 teams interested:

It sounds as though the Colorado Avalanche, with whom Ahcan attended development camp in 2019, came close to signing him.

"Colorado was in my top three and I was really comfortable with those guys and (executive vice president/general manager) Joe Sakic and building that relationship in the summer made it pretty easy for them to be in the final (three)," Ahcan said. "Colorado was one of my top spots and it was a difficult decision to turn them down."

Rask and McAvoy were instrumental in getting him to sign:

Part of how the Bruins won the Ahcan sweepstakes was because of conversations that he had with current Boston players Charlie McAvoy and Tuukka Rask. Rask, one of Boston's goalies, is represented by the same agency as Ahcan. The relationship between Ahcan and McAvoy, a defenseman, goes back to when they helped Team USA win the gold medal at the 2017 IIHF World Junior Championships.

"Charlie was my roommate for a little bit at the world juniors and got to know me," Ahcan said. "When I talked to Charlie McAvoy on the phone and he gave me kind of the inside scoop of everything going on there and how they are as a team. That was very helpful to me.

SCSU captain Jack Ahcan signs 2-year deal with Boston Bruins | The Rink Live

Gator Mike

Feb 28, 2002
Woburn, MA
Visit site
Young-Jackie-Chan-Thumbs-Up-Smile-Gif.gif

Aussie Bruin

Sponsor
Aug 3, 2019
Victoria, Aus
Good pick-up and a nice article. The Bruins have an excellent recent history in taking small defensemen and turning them into really effective, skilful players who don't let their size be used against them. Ahcan sounds like he has a good head on his shoulders and he clearly has some leadership skills, so hopefully he'll fit right in in Boston. It's nice to see too that the character-driven, close-knit group that Sweeney has put together is proving attractive to prospective players and helping in acquiring their signatures. Look forward to seeing what Ahcan can do.

Krupp

Apr 6, 2012
Interesting signing! Sweeney's fond of these little guys; and as a fellow little guy, WAY smaller than Gryz Krug or this guy, I'm all for it.

Where he eventually winds up - NHL or AHL, and on what pairing, who knows. It's interesting that Colorado was very invested in him as well.

Reactions: AngryMilkcrates

DominicT

Sep 6, 2009
Stratford Ontario
dom.hockey
Interesting - with Swayman signing they really are set up well for whatever happens in the expansion draft.

With the possibility of losing Vladar a high likelihood and the concussion problems of Kyle Keyser, the full-court press to bring Swayman aboard was a no brainer.

Ahcan is here to be a potential Gryz replacement. He'll get a year in the AHL next season and then the expansion draft happens. By loading his second season with performance bonuses, I guess everyone feels there is a chance?

Management is covering all their bases. Can't blame him for that. They are doing an A+ job of it.

yazmybaby

Sep 13, 2015
Brampton ON, Canada
With the possibility of losing Vladar a high likelihood and the concussion problems of Kyle Keyser, the full-court press to bring Swayman aboard was a no brainer.

Ahcan is here to be a potential Gryz replacement. He'll get a year in the AHL next season and then the expansion draft happens. By loading his second season with performance bonuses, I guess everyone feels there is a chance?

Management is covering all their bases. Can't blame him for that. They are doing an A+ job of it.
Why would we loose Vlader in the expansion draft?
I would have thought we can protect him, since Rask would potentially retire by then, or be a UFA?
It would be a shame to loose him since he has developed so much in the last few years and he deserves a chance to play next year.
Another big decision for us is assuming we sign Krug, then one of Gryz/Lauzon / Cliffy will be lost for sure in the expansion draft.
Ahcan is a good signing, will probably need a year in the AHL then he might be ready.

McGarnagle

Yes.
Aug 5, 2017
Re: expansion draft

With the whole coronavirus destroying our economy thing, are we that confident that expansion occurs as planned?

Seattle had good financial backing behind it, I'm not worried about their ability to get underway....but there are franchises who may not be so stable, and more teams means more travel and more payroll. Just saying, maybe instead of expanding to Seattle in 2021, Florida or Carolina might end up just moving there instead.

Smitty93

Dec 6, 2012
Re: expansion draft

With the whole coronavirus destroying our economy thing, are we that confident that expansion occurs as planned?

Seattle had good financial backing behind it, I'm not worried about their ability to get underway....but there are franchises who may not be so stable, and more teams means more travel and more payroll. Just saying, maybe instead of expanding to Seattle in 2021, Florida or Carolina might end up just moving there instead.

Ignoring whether they could actually legally do this or not (I'm guessing they can't), the league has 650 million reasons :yashin::yashin::yashin: to stick with expansion.

DominicT

Sep 6, 2009
Stratford Ontario
dom.hockey
Why would we loose Vlader in the expansion draft?
I would have thought we can protect him, since Rask would potentially retire by then, or be a UFA?
It would be a shame to loose him since he has developed so much in the last few years and he deserves a chance to play next year.
Another big decision for us is assuming we sign Krug, then one of Gryz/Lauzon / Cliffy will be lost for sure in the expansion draft.
Ahcan is a good signing, will probably need a year in the AHL then he might be ready.

A lot can happen in 15 months so there are countless possibilities.

First of all, Rask is not a UFA when the expansion draft takes place, he is a pending UFA. Seattle will have exclusive rights to talk to him for a week prior to the draft, but he will in fact still be under contract with the Bruins and will either have to be left as exposed or protected.

Secondly, I don't believe he will retire. With all that is going on, he's at home with his wife and two young kids. Plenty of people in the same situation today are thinking "boy, I will hate it when I have to go back to work."

For a goaltender, Rask is in his prime with a lot of hockey left in him. My gut says it's just how he feels right now because of the situation all of us are in and when he does hit the ice again and is with his teammates, the competitive juices will begin to flow again and he will not retire. Of course, that is just my opinion, but I am entitled to it just like everyone else is. :)

Alberta_OReilly_Fan

Bruin fan since 1975
Nov 26, 2006
Edmonton Canada
A lot can happen in 15 months so there are countless possibilities.

First of all, Rask is not a UFA when the expansion draft takes place, he is a pending UFA. Seattle will have exclusive rights to talk to him for a week prior to the draft, but he will in fact still be under contract with the Bruins and will either have to be left as exposed or protected.

Secondly, I don't believe he will retire. With all that is going on, he's at home with his wife and two young kids. Plenty of people in the same situation today are thinking "boy, I will hate it when I have to go back to work."

For a goaltender, Rask is in his prime with a lot of hockey left in him. My gut says it's just how he feels right now because of the situation all of us are in and when he does hit the ice again and is with his teammates, the competitive juices will begin to flow again and he will not retire. Of course, that is just my opinion, but I am entitled to it just like everyone else is. :)

technically you are exactly right about rask and his status... seattle could get an opportunity to 'talk' to him

but leading up to the draft after January the bruins will have months of exclusive time to talk to him. even though its not legal to bind themselves to a contract recognized by the NHL... they could tell rask, 'tukka we want you back. we want to manage this expansion draft smart. we are going to expose you and if seattle grabs you we hope you will remember how we want you back. if you do become an ufa, we would offer you such and such contract'

now whats in it for rask? I mean seattle could talk to him if he became an ufa… so selecting him doesnt really give them an advantage. if he is going to sign with them it means he didnt want to return to boston. if he doesnt want to return to boston, then hes going to become an ufa anyhow. so theres really just 2 options... 1/ he is going to resign in boston in which case having seattle waste their expansion pick on him simply makes boston stronger... or 2/he wants to go to ufa in which case what would we care were he signs?

so my vote... dont resign him {but do explain to him hes very wanted so his feelings dont get hurt}
then... expose him and protect vladar if we feel vladar is a legit nhl talent by that time

then resign rask as an ufa

honestly I agree with you dom, if vladar has a strong season like this year then its very possible seattle selects him and we get a bit screwed. its much easier for us to suffer the loss of one of our left shot dmen.

DaaaaB's

Apr 24, 2004
I wouldn't be surprised at all if Rask retires after next year. I'm sure his concussion history along with the problems Thomas is going thru has him at least seriously contemplating it. He also left the team for personal reasons that were never explained last year.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad