Confirmed Signing with Link: Bruins sign Dominic Moore,Chris Casto,Brian Ferlin and Alex Grant to 1-year contracts

MarkMessyay11

Jan 12, 2015
NJ
Moore was great as a Ranger and I'll miss him dearly. Not as good as when he started here but he can still play. Great defensive player.

Yeah I love Dommer, but he wasn't the same player last year. You can see he lost a step even from 2014-15, but he's still a solid 4C. It was always going to be a good signing for whoever added him. I'll be rooting for him in Boston.

PatriceBergeronFan

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jul 15, 2011
USA
we can go back to ron sutter, travis green, glen metrolip, dave reid, mike sullivan, wayne primeau, tom fitzgerald and dwight foster

bruins historically like to use a defensive resonsible vetern as their 4th line center

Some real blasts from the past. I'll add another short time one, Pandolfo.

Sobotka was one of the rare outliers.

VoidCreature

Before you see the light, you must die.
Mar 6, 2015
New Jersey
Bergeron, 31
Backes, 32
Krejci, 30
Marchand, 28
Belesky, 28

I thought this team was rebuilding? Spooner was their only young significant scorer last year up front. There's still Pastrnak, but I don't like their future at forward if they move him.

This Bruins management team makes no sense. They need to pick a direction and stick to it.

PsychoDad

Apr 20, 2007
Berlin
Bergeron, 31
Backes, 32
Krejci, 30
Marchand, 28
Belesky, 28

I thought this team was rebuilding? Spooner was their only young significant scorer last year up front. There's still Pastrnak, but I don't like their future at forward if they move him.

This Bruins management team makes no sense. They need to pick a direction and stick to it.

The team is not in rebuild but in re-tool. This is the only way how Backes and Moores signings make sense.

nmbr_24

Jun 8, 2003
Visit site
Bergeron, 31
Backes, 32
Krejci, 30
Marchand, 28
Belesky, 28

They have picked a direction and they are sticking to it. They are rebuilding the D through the draft and it looks like they could have their future top 4 in their system now. They have a few good wing prospects and a few good goaltending prospects.

Center is the next place they need to start addressing so they can replace Bergeron and Krejci when the time comes.

PB37

Mr Selke
Oct 1, 2002
Maine
Bergeron, 31
Backes, 32
Krejci, 30
Marchand, 28
Belesky, 28

Bruins are doing a slow roll out in regards to a youth movement. This season, Danton Heinen ( 21 ) is a favorite to win the vacant spot on the wing and he'll join

Spooner - 24
Acciari - 24
Vatrano - 22
Pastrnak - 20

as young regulars in the lineup if he makes it.

VoidCreature

Mar 6, 2015
New Jersey
They have picked a direction and they are sticking to it. They are rebuilding the D through the draft and it looks like they could have their future top 4 in their system now. They have a few good wing prospects and a few good goaltending prospects.

Center is the next place they need to start addressing so they can replace Bergeron and Krejci when the time comes.

If they're rebuilding the D why did they trade picks at the deadline for John Michael-Liles and Lee Stempniak, as well as holding on to Erikkson?

And trading Spooner for a D as speculated would be the opposite of addressing the center position for the future.

It looks to me like they thought they'd start a rebuild with the trading of Lucic and Hamilton, but they didn't have the stomach or the support from ownership to go through with it.

They might be able to make the playoffs for a couple years with more help on D, but the roster looks destined for disaster in the long run, at least to me.

northeastern

Apr 16, 2009
boston
Bergeron, 31
Backes, 32
Krejci, 30
Marchand, 28
Belesky, 28

They're retooling in my opinion trying to rebuild the d to try am again with the Bergeron, krejci, marchy, tuukka core... And CJ loves his old vets in the fourth line for whatever reason

bearcountry17

Jun 4, 2012
South Shore, MA
If they're rebuilding the D why did they trade picks at the deadline for John Michael-Liles and Lee Stempniak, as well as holding on to Erikkson?
Because they where in a playoff spot and had just picked 6 times in the first two rounds the year before with 2 1sts in 16'

And trading Spooner for a D as speculated would be the opposite of addressing the center position for the future.
The need for a bridge dman,who can help now and still be here in 2-4 years to support the younger guys coming up, is greater than the need for a 2nd line center.
It looks to me like they thought they'd start a rebuild with the trading of Lucic and Hamilton, but they didn't have the stomach or the support from ownership to go through with it.
Management most likely was telling them to make the playoffs considering where thhey were in the standings. I know this is HF and people get all moist with thoughts of picking high in the draft, but the NHL is a business and the majority of teams don't sell at the deadline if they are in a playoff spot.

They might be able to make the playoffs for a couple years with more help on D, but the roster looks destined for disaster in the long run, at least to me.
Boston with even a good #3 dman added is a playoff lock IMO and by the time the older core starts really slowing down the fruits of the 14,15,16 draft will hopefully be establishing themselves.

Right now the Bs have a top 10 offence, a top 10 goalie, a bottom 5 defence, and a top 10 prospect pool. If they move some pieces from the offence and/or the prospect pool to upgrade to even a middle of the pack defense the Bruins will start to become a legit contender again to come out of the eastern conference.

nmbr_24

Jun 8, 2003
Visit site

Why does that matter at all when they drafted enough players to restock their D? Trading a couple of picks outside of the first round when they drafted 16 players in the last two years with five of those being first round picks shouldn't seem to anyone that they are go all out to win now. It is obvious that they have a plan, Spooner might not be seen as a part of their long term plan, he is definitely not the kind of center that the Bruins like to rely on but building a team also happens through trades and free agency.

You can say you don't like their plan but building from the back end out seems like a time honored way of building a team.

VoidCreature

Mar 6, 2015
New Jersey
Why does that matter at all when they drafted enough players to restock their D? Trading a couple of picks outside of the first round when they drafted 16 players in the last two years with five of those being first round picks shouldn't seem to anyone that they are go all out to win now. It is obvious that they have a plan, Spooner might not be seen as a part of their long term plan, he is definitely not the kind of center that the Bruins like to rely on but building a team also happens through trades and free agency.

You can say you don't like their plan but building from the back end out seems like a time honored way of building a team.

I don't have any problem with building from the net out. The Devils won 3 cups and went to 5 finals that way. But the point is to build.

It's very, very hard to rebuild and try to compete at the same time. My issue is I don't know which of those this management group is leaning more towards. Are they just trying to make the playoffs, or do they actually believe their group can contend for the Stanley Cup going forwards?

nmbr_24

Jun 8, 2003
Visit site
I don't have any problem with building from the net out. The Devils won 3 cups and went to 5 finals that way. But the point is to build.

It's very, very hard to rebuild and try to compete at the same time. My issue is I don't know which of those this management group is leaning more towards. Are they just trying to make the playoffs, or do they actually believe their group can contend for the Stanley Cup going forwards?

They are building for the future while trying to remain competitive. I think that is pretty obvious. They are not trading 1st round picks or players for older guys unless they are the kind of guys who are just going to fill the gaps for a little while while the others develop and don't cost a lot. They are turning a guy who is pricing himself off of the team into a couple of first round picks and a prospect.

Not every team has to pull a tank job to rebuild or retool, Boston is probably going to finish their rebuild while Bergeron is still young enough to be a big contributor to the team. My guess is that there will be several guys who are gone for picks/prospect/young players over the next couple of seasons whether it is at the trade deadline or the offseason.

I think the Bruins have made it perfectly clear that first and foremost they are building for the future and secondly they are trying to be competitive now. People speculate otherwise but their actions say they are building for the future in a methodical way so I think it is obvious that they have a plan.

WesMcCauley

Apr 24, 2015
All the best to Dom Moore in Boston! What a great person and a solid hockey player aswell. I think he still has the house in Boston that he and his wife bought and finished before she passed and hopefully he keeps playing for many more years in the league. Class act on and off the ice!

VoidCreature

Mar 6, 2015
New Jersey
They are building for the future while trying to remain competitive. I think that is pretty obvious. They are not trading 1st round picks or players for older guys unless they are the kind of guys who are just going to fill the gaps for a little while while the others develop and don't cost a lot. They are turning a guy who is pricing himself off of the team into a couple of first round picks and a prospect.

Not every team has to pull a tank job to rebuild or retool, Boston is probably going to finish their rebuild while Bergeron is still young enough to be a big contributor to the team. My guess is that there will be several guys who are gone for picks/prospect/young players over the next couple of seasons whether it is at the trade deadline or the offseason.

I think the Bruins have made it perfectly clear that first and foremost they are building for the future and secondly they are trying to be competitive now. People speculate otherwise but their actions say they are building for the future in a methodical way so I think it is obvious that they have a plan.

Your belief in your team is very strong. I can respect that.

nmbr_24

Jun 8, 2003
Visit site
Your belief in your team is very strong. I can respect that.

It's not a belief in my team, it is just looking at what they have done over the last two years. I don't know how successful they will be, I just know that contrary to what you said, they do have a plan.

Bread and Circuses

Smile and wave.
Sponsor
Dec 2, 2010
Somewhere in the middle
It's not a belief in my team, it is just looking at what they have done over the last two years. I don't know how successful they will be, I just know that contrary to what you said, they do have a plan.

Pretty much echoing what you said, if you don't speculate about the unknown and look at how Sweeney has handled the team since taking over as GM it certainly appears that they are expecting many of their prospects to develop into legit NHL talent over the next season or two.

Who knows if it will all pan out, we shall see and I sure hope so.

Oh and I am happy with Moore based solely on the fact that my Rangers fan buddy made it a point to tell me that he is worth every penny of that deal and my buddy hates the Bruins.

BruinLVGA

CZ Shadow 2 Compact: finally here!!!
Dec 15, 2013
Switzerland

Teams in playoffs position shore up their team at the trade deadline. Why do you even ask about it?

Era of Sanity

Certified Poster
Nov 12, 2010

Ownership is a big factor for sure. They were in a playoff position at the deadline, owners want playoffs. Owners are scared to do a full rebuild imo because of a very competitive landscape on the Boston sports market.

I don't see how they are a disaster going forward though, their prospect tool is average to above average.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad