Bruins @ Senators - Raining burgers

Status
Not open for further replies.

DylanSensFan

BEESHIP: NBH
Aug 3, 2010
Calgary
Hey I'm thrilled we're winning, with or without toughness. I'm just being realistic. You think this team is perfect? I don't. We have no real sandpaper up front right now(the blue line is a different story). It's pretty much our only weakness, but it's a weakness nonetheless. And we can go 12-0 in our remaining games but it wouldn't change anything; the playoffs are an entirely different brand of hockey. In the regular season right now, we're a Cinderella team with nothing to lose finding ways to keep winning games and put up win streaks against a bunch of different teams, whereas, as I said earlier, in the playoffs you play the same team night after night and it's a war of attrition. An experienced, playoffs calibre team, like the Bruins for example, would obviously push the envelope physically with us over the course of a series, and in fact they did so last night. It would definitely take it's toll on our forwards.

All that being said, I do agree that it would be a difficult thing to do right now to take anyone out of the current line-up to make room for Neil and/or Smith. It's pretty crazy how things have changed for many players on this roster in the past month or so. Many who were potential waiver or trade fodder before the deadline have found a way to step up down the stretch, which is quite impressive.

I think it is pretty ridiculous of you to say this actually. Condra, Pageau and Lazar were under the Bruins skin all game long and it was easy to see. You think we need Neil and Smith when Lazar is not afraid to go after Chara? When Pageau has no fear of Lucic? When Condra gets in there and rattles the boards with anyone. This team has no fear. Bobby Ryan and Zibanejad have no fear. Michalek, Stone? No fear. Neil is becoming obsolete...

ChocolateLeclaire

Jan 12, 2010
Ottawa, Canada
Bruins fans in their PGT seemed to think that Hammond was really really bad yesterday. Did I miss something? Two deflected goals right in front of the net, a 5 on 3 goal and a goal at the end of a powerplay on a net scramble.

What's everyone else thinking? I thought it was pretty hard to fault him for most of them.

Bruin fans have an even higher standard of goaltending than we do. They are shredding Rask on their board as well. It's like if they can't match Thomas' .956 season, they suck.

Bruin fans need to realize that that was NOT the norm for goaltending.

Indrew

Feb 6, 2007
Oh, and I agree we're being taken advantage of physically - need Neil, Smith, Phillips and Cowen back in the lineup to put things right.

I can't believe people still want these players back. The only one with any hope is Smith, but Pageau and Legwand are both better at this point.

It's not just a coincidence that the team is playing better without Neil and Phillips dragging them down. Phillips is done. Neil is too slow and weak when he has to use a stick to do anything.

http://www.nhl.com/stats/advancedst...e=advancedStatsSkaterShooting&sort=&ord=&gp=1

Worst defenseman and worst forward possession-wise.

Let's face it: Having Lehner, Smith, Neil, and Phillips injured has been a blessing for this team. Getting Methot back has been a Godsend.

Last edited:

blahblah3

Jan 8, 2010
Well, we just disagree on the effort thing, then. No sense in debating a subjective call like that.

3/4 guys here have been injured long-term, so I wouldn't put TOO much stock into it just yet, but in general I agree, which is why I think Cameron gets partial credit. He also gets credit for patching up our brutal defensive giveaways, but again, I think that was more an extreme fault of Macleans system that inevitably was going to change by default with his dismissal.
If Mac was still coaching this team would not be nearing a playoff spot. Maclean was total junk as a coach. He was giving Zibanejad comparable even strength minutes as Neil for gods sakes. Chaisson, forget about it. Hoffman? Probably not even on the team or would be on the fourth line. He would never scratch Phillips, Neil, Smith and juggled the lines so that no chemistry could ever be found. Rewarding players that were not even NHL caliber anymore. I could go on and on for a few pages, but it too infuriating thinking that moron was largely responsible for holding this team back over the last two years. It is an effort issue to some extent, mostly caused because the team looked at Maclean and though that with his genius there would be no chance of winning.

Nac Mac Feegle

wee & free
Jun 10, 2011
The Bruins "sandpaper" didn't fare too well against the Habs last year in the playoffs.

We are a team that doesn't have elite scorers, so we need to get our goals by committee. We simply can't afford to put guys in the pressbox who have decent enough hands to get a goal now and then so we can add "sandpaper" to our game.

jason2020

Sep 24, 2014
I think it is pretty ridiculous of you to say this actually. Condra, Pageau and Lazar were under the Bruins skin all game long and it was easy to see. You think we need Neil and Smith when Lazar is not afraid to go after Chara? When Pageau has no fear of Lucic? When Condra gets in there and rattles the boards with anyone. This team has no fear. Bobby Ryan and Zibanejad have no fear. Michalek, Stone? No fear. Neil is becoming obsolete...

That's what I think shocked Boston they seem to think we push the young kids around we will win it backfired.

Engineer

Rustled your jimmies
Dec 23, 2013
Bruin fans have an even higher standard of goaltending than we do. They are shredding Rask on their board as well. It's like if they can't match Thomas' .956 season, they suck.

Bruin fans need to realize that that was NOT the norm for goaltending.

They're also just emotional after a big loss, and saying that Hammond was terrible and that his bubble has popped is a way of reassuring themselves that they will make the playoffs

The comments I thought were odd, but I've seen stranger on these boards.

aragorn

Do The Right Thing
Aug 8, 2004
There was a great playoff atmosphere at the rink last night thanks to so many of the special needs kids that were at the rink from different places in Canada, US & England. I believe the English group in the next section were the ones with the drums that kept chanting all game long, they were having a blast. I was in the middle of a Cambridge group who were also having a great time, some were at their first NHL game ever.

Great game & a great result, too bad Hammond didn't get the record but he got the win & that's what matters most. We just can't say enough about Hammond & how well he is playing & even though he let some in this team seems to rally around him & gets him the winner. There is a great feeling in this town & around this team again & Hammond has a lot to do with it & this Hamburgler guy. :handclap:

Proust*

Dec 8, 2010
Chris Neil cannot play more than 5 min/night on a playoff team. It's that simple. He's barely an NHL forward at this point.

2XPRO31

Jul 13, 2007
I don't mind having Neil on the 4th line as long as he's going around and hitting everything that moves

Super Cake

Jun 24, 2013
Found on the main boards:
j2ubi.jpg

Larionov

Feb 9, 2005
Ottawa, ON
I'm sure others have mentioned this, but it sure was nice to see Chaisson and Legwand step it up at the right time. They both had very solid games. I was particularly impressed by Chaisson. This was him at his best, using his speed and size to get in on the forecheck, work it along the wall, etc. He's got all the tools - he just needs to ramp up the intensity every night and he could be a very effective third liner.

One swap that I would make in an instant as soon as he is healthy is to get Grizz back in the lineup, probably at the expense of Puempel.

Finally, a suggestion that will likely earn me some shade - if and when he is healthy, would Chris Phillips not be a better option on the third pairing than Gryba? Much better skills with the puck, skates a bit better, etc. At this stage of his career Phillips is obviously not a top four defenceman, but in sheltered minutes on the third pairing I think he could still be effective.

OgieO

May 17, 2006
Halifax
If you were to add Neil back in, you take out a guy like Puemple... who's played a pretty effective role, including scoring and and being a part of the GWG last night.

I just think any notion of players being intimidated by opposition "sandpaper" is somewhere between absurd and ridiculous.

swiftwin

★SUMMER.OF.PIERRE★
Jul 26, 2005
I'm sure others have mentioned this, but it sure was nice to see Chaisson and Legwand step it up at the right time. They both had very solid games. I was particularly impressed by Chaisson. This was him at his best, using his speed and size to get in on the forecheck, work it along the wall, etc. He's got all the tools - he just needs to ramp up the intensity every night and he could be a very effective third liner.

One swap that I would make in an instant as soon as he is healthy is to get Grizz back in the lineup, probably at the expense of Puempel.

Finally, a suggestion that will likely earn me some shade - if and when he is healthy, would Chris Phillips not be a better option on the third pairing than Gryba? Much better skills with the puck, skates a bit better, etc. At this stage of his career Phillips is obviously not a top four defenceman, but in sheltered minutes on the third pairing I think he could still be effective.

I wonder if Chiasson is the type of player who ups his game several notches in the playoffs. If so, he could be beastly in the playoffs.

HispanicAtTheDisco

Oct 17, 2014
Ottawa, Ont.

Where would you play him? Milos has been playing some of his best hockey as a Senator on a line with Turris and Stone and I don't really want to break that up right now. The Hoffman-Zibby-Ryan and Condra-Pageau-Lazar lines are clicking, so I doubt those would be broken up either. So that basically leaves him on the 4th with Legwand and Chiasson, which could actually make for a really interesting line.

God Says No

Mar 16, 2012

I think you'd have a hard time selling people, including myself, that Phillips at this stage in his career is a better puck handler and skater than Gryba. I would even say that Phillips is the worst puck handler of the current D corps. Yes, even worst than Cowen and Gryba.

On top of that Gryba plays on the right side. I'm assuming then you would want Boro playing right and Phillips playing left. That just seems like a disaster pair.

HavlatMach9

streamable 3rah1
Mar 17, 2011
Ottawa
I've been told TSN swapped out the Sens logo for the Hamburglar logo a couple of times during the game
it was funny. like a cartoon transition between scenes. happened throughout the game
I watched the game on NESN.

Jack Edwards was surprisingly good.
i like Edwards and their color commentator is quite informational, but it's usually belittling Karlsson hour when we play them

Micklebot

Apr 27, 2010

If he was healthy, this might work, but the problem is he hasn't played in how long now? I don't know if he could pick up where he left off.

I think he can still be a bottom pair defender, but I still prefer Boro, Cowen and Wiercioch over him in that role, so bumping a RD is the best option to get him into the lineup. Boro seems ok in the RD slot, and Phillips has done it in the past, so I'd be willing to give it a shot, but I'm not so sure about doing so at this stage (hasn't played in a while, and nearing the end of the season where every point is crucial).

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad