Confirmed with Link: Bruins select Ryan Donato 56th overall/2nd Round

Over the volcano

Mar 10, 2006
Watertown
Great pick, another that Kirk was all over. Kid will have time to develop and should be a great addition to the Bruins organization.

Here's a great write up on him from the globe
http://www.bostonglobe.com/sports/2...r-footsteps/BJ3KHu6BLYZuS0JlY2driI/story.html

But even 4-year-olds have their pride. One day, when Kariya was horsing around in the Ducks’ dressing room, he grabbed Ryan and put him in a trash can.

Ryan immediately informed his parents that his new favorite player was Teemu Selanne.

Over the volcano

Mar 10, 2006
Watertown
Another GREAT pic :handclap:

Speaking of great pics of Ryan Donato. . .

Donato4.jpg

DKH

The Bergeron of HF
Feb 27, 2002
Our second rounder has a Bahstahn accent:amazed:...love the pick!!!!

I'll do a Red Line review (probably written by Kirk:laugh:....I kid, its a group effort I'm sure)

to add- I have friends who's kids played against and with Donato and who coach themselves and have ties to both NHL and College hockey and they really like this kid A LOT.

BigGoalBrad

Jun 3, 2012
Good pick. Not much puck talent in these parts we only produce hoopsters and I think Donato is as good a local prospect as we are accustomed to seeing.

Pretty good draft both guys have nice upside.

ORR2Sanderson2ORR

Bobby Orr Scores
Aug 24, 2005
Everywhere
Home / Hockey / 2014 NHL Draft Prospect Profile HM#1: Ryan Donato
2014 NHL Draft Prospect Profile HM#1: Ryan Donato
By Ben Kerr, Admin
Updated: June 5, 2014
NHL Combine

Welcome back to Top Shelf Prospects, the daily column that brings you the next crop of professional hockey players. Each day I will bring you a new player profile or topical article in the lead-up to the 2014 NHL Draft. Be sure to bookmark the site, follow me on Twitter, and spread the word for the site that will bring you analytical and critical profiles and scouting reports! Last Word On Sports is your new headquarters for everything “NHL Draft”! For a Complete Listing of all our 2014 Draft Articles Click here.

TopShelfProspectsToday we bring you a draft prospect who is getting a ton of buzz across the internet, and seems to be a favorite of various scouting services, Ryan Donato. Now here at Last Word, we aren’t going to B.S. you. The reality is that Donato played hockey in the United States High School system for Dexter. He also played some games with the Cape Cod Whalers midget team. These are two undercovered leagues. While he did play four games with the US NTDP, we don’t have video of those games. While we did see him at the USA Hockey Top prospects game I never make a scouting report based on a single game, its unfair to the player. As a result, I have not seen enough full game footage of this player, and am not ranking him. However because LWOS strives to bring you the reader full draft coverage, we are going to quote what other sources have said about him and direct you to more quality pieces on Donato. In this way you can trust that we will always bring you the straight goods (as we see them) on any prospect we cover, but will also strive to not leave our readers completely out of the loop when it comes to high ranking NHL Prospects. For this reason Donato is the first of our honourable mentions (not ranked by me, but by who is getting top 2 round draft buzz that I’ve noticed, and how much buzz was noticed).

Ryan Donato comes from great bloodlines as he is the son of former NHLer Ted Donato. He is committed to playing NCAA hockey at Harvard next season, but was also drafted by the Rimouski Oceanic of the QMJHL, should he change his mind and decide to go the junior hockey route.
Ryan Donato

Centre — Shoots Right
Born April 9, 1996 — Scituate, MA, USA
Height 6.0 Weight 176 lbs [183cm / 80Kg]

My short notes from the USA Top Prospects game. This is not a scouting report, but the start of something I would combine with other observations over multiple games:
“Great release, and good wrist shot…. gets himself open and finds the holes, good decisions with the puck, Hockey IQ appears high…. good defensively, keeps his feet moving at all times…. nice vision and passing, picked up 2 assists…. dangerous nearly every shift…. solid work in all three zones…. shows grit and willingness to engage in board battles in all three zones. Solid skating stride and good speed, but not blistering.”

This scouting report reminds me a little of
Mike Richards.

iiBruins17*

Don't like the pick, **** Calgary for taking Hunter two picks ahead of us

PlayMakers

Aug 9, 2004
Medfield, MA
www.medpuck.com
Man, I really like this pick too. Donato is the most dominant prep school player I've seen in a long, long time. More dominant than Kreider, Hayes or Charlie Coyle.

Side Note: Two recent draft trends seem to be emerging: 1) the Bruins put a lot of stock in PJ Axelsson and 2) they're picking more from players right in their backyard, guys like O'Gara, Grzlyk, Sherman and Fitzgerald...

Ad

Upcoming events

• USA vs Sweden
    USA vs Sweden
    Wagers: 3
    Staked: $1,050.00
    Event closes
    • Updated:
  • Finland vs Czechia
    Finland vs Czechia
    Wagers: 1
    Staked: $200.00