Confirmed with Link: Bruins select Ryan Donato 56th overall/2nd Round

HuskyBruinPride

Aug 1, 2011
I haven't seen him play but I've heard his name mentioned on the boards as a potential target at the draft and I know the insiders here feel pretty high on him, so I like this pick. Plus the local roots...seems like a no brainer.

neelynugs

Feb 27, 2002
Man, I really like this pick too. Donato is the most dominant prep school player I've seen in a long, long time. More dominant than Kreider, Hayes or Charlie Coyle.

Side Note: Two recent draft trends seem to be emerging: 1) the Bruins put a lot of stock in PJ Axelsson and 2) they're picking more from players right in their backyard, guys like O'Gara, Grzlyk, Sherman and Fitzgerald...

once again in round 7...emil Johansson from Sweden

love the donato pick. happy with rounds 1 and 2. the rest, not so sure yet.

finchster

Jul 12, 2006
Antalya
Since Donato is well liked here, I have no doubt he is a good talent. If I was Donato, I would go to Harvard too, it's the best place for him to insure he has a bright future in life and develop as a person.

My question though, is going to Harvard the best place for him to develop as a hockey player? I think he made the right choice without a doubt, but as a fan of this hockey team I'd prefer Donato playing somewhere where hockey is his primary focus.

Ladyfan

Miss Bergy, Savvy and Quaider. Welcome back Looch!
Sponsor
Jun 8, 2007
next to the bench
Speaking of great pics of Ryan Donato. . .

Donato4.jpg

LOVE this photo !

MillerTime 86

So Long Tyler SeQuin
May 11, 2007
On a Rock
Side Note: Two recent draft trends seem to be emerging: 1) the Bruins put a lot of stock in PJ Axelsson and 2) they're picking more from players right in their backyard, guys like O'Gara, Grzlyk, Sherman and Fitzgerald...

Seem to be trending away from the coveted "thick" player as well, and instead trending toward guys who are more-skilled and can skate ...

Ladyfan

Miss Bergy, Savvy and Quaider. Welcome back Looch!
Sponsor
Jun 8, 2007
next to the bench
If he plays like his pops, I'm fine with it. Teddy was a great leader.

Ted was a fun player to watch. Seemed like he gave 100% every shift...I like that.

Looks like Ryan is taller. I am looking forward to watching him develop. I like the local ties.

The Special K

Hoss MOFO, Hoss.
Sep 26, 2008
Canal Winchester, OH
I'm pretty excited to have another Donato in Bean-town. I was a big fan of Teddy when he was here and was sad to see him leave.
Glad his kid is now part of the Bruins' family.

HF Article

Nov 16, 2005
2014 NHL Draft: Bruins pick Donato hoping to follow father's footsteps to NHL

Very few hockey players get the chance to play for the team that they grew up watching, but forward Ryan Donato has a chance to make that dream a reality.

Donato was selected 56th overall in the 2014 NHL Draft by the Boston Bruins, and appears to be following in the footsteps of his father and Harvard coach, Ted Donato.

“It’s surreal,†he said. “It doesn’t even feel like it is happening right now. It feels like a dream. There are so many other great organizations, but now that I’m here, I can say that this is where I want to be.â€

The older Donato was drafted by the Bruins in 1987 and played for Harvard.… read more

More...

TP

Global Moderator
Dec 2, 2008
Man , I love this pick. I hope he does awesome.

BornBruliever

Aug 18, 2011
He does great call. And Joe looks like its 1977 and after practice neet you guys at the bonfire 'let's party'[/QU

Yes and does that not also look like what could be a young Looch looking on from behind Joe.

Kirk- NEHJ

Aug 22, 2002
CAV Country!
www.hockeyjournal.com
Man, I really like this pick too. Donato is the most dominant prep school player I've seen in a long, long time. More dominant than Kreider, Hayes or Charlie Coyle.

Right on, Bill.

Easily one of the top-3 kids in terms of skill, character and heart I have covered/scouted in 15 years of looking at New England talent. That's no guarantee of success by any measure, but how can anyone question a kid who bagged 37 goals, 78 points in 30 games when every single team Dexter went up against sold out to stop him?

One thing that potentially dropped him to Boston in the late 2nd, as his stock was trending downward coming out of the combine (I wrote my pre-draft article for NEHJ in mid-May, which means I can never account for the information that comes out of the combine):

1. Several NHL guys mentioned a hip injury that hampered him late in the year and concern it might be a little more serious than originally thought. I have not been able to verify that, but if that was talked about in NHL war rooms, then it puts his slide to 56 in perspective.

Also- seeing more and more that getting into Harvard might be an issue for him, and that BC is growing into the picture as an option. I think that would be a blessing in disguise hockey-wise, but his 1st choice is Harvard, so pulling for him to achieve his personal goal.

Either way- this kid enhances the Bruins' organization, but is going to take a long time to realize his immense potential. Luckily, like Ryan Fitzgerald, time is clearly on his side and late 2nd round means zero pressure on him to come riding to the rescue anytime soon.

Those questioning the pick are welcome to do that. But all that tells me is that they have done a zero amount of homework on Donato, haven't seen him play, talked to him, or really have a clue. If they had, there would at least be a grudging respect for him, even with the dissent. Disagreement makes the world go 'round, I guess, but you'd be hard-pressed to find a kid in this draft who wanted to be a Bruin more, or who has lived/been around the Hall of Fame talents he's been exposed to.

PB37

Mr Selke
Oct 1, 2002
Maine
This kid's favorite player is Patrice Bergeron and models his game after him, both on and off the ice. Enough said; I'm sold.

ODAAT

Oct 17, 2006
Victoria BC
Since Donato is well liked here, I have no doubt he is a good talent. If I was Donato, I would go to Harvard too, it's the best place for him to insure he has a bright future in life and develop as a person.

My question though, is going to Harvard the best place for him to develop as a hockey player? I think he made the right choice without a doubt, but as a fan of this hockey team I'd prefer Donato playing somewhere where hockey is his primary focus.

unless he`s not taking things for granted and wishes to secure an education in the case he never makes it to the big`s???

I don`t know, from all I know about him, which is 100% what I`ve read here from those I trust who are far closer to the game than I, he`s a quality kid and a good head on his shoulders. I rarily have expectations for draft picks to be anything more than players who`ll we`ll "maybe" see in 3-5 years anyways

DKH

The Bergeron of HF
Feb 27, 2002
Right on, Bill.

Easily one of the top-3 kids in terms of skill, character and heart I have covered/scouted in 15 years of looking at New England talent. That's no guarantee of success by any measure, but how can anyone question a kid who bagged 37 goals, 78 points in 30 games when every single team Dexter went up against sold out to stop him?

One thing that potentially dropped him to Boston in the late 2nd, as his stock was trending downward coming out of the combine (I wrote my pre-draft article for NEHJ in mid-May, which means I can never account for the information that comes out of the combine):

1. Several NHL guys mentioned a hip injury that hampered him late in the year and concern it might be a little more serious than originally thought. I have not been able to verify that, but if that was talked about in NHL war rooms, then it puts his slide to 56 in perspective.

Also- seeing more and more that getting into Harvard might be an issue for him, and that BC is growing into the picture as an option. I think that would be a blessing in disguise hockey-wise, but his 1st choice is Harvard, so pulling for him to achieve his personal goal.

Either way- this kid enhances the Bruins' organization, but is going to take a long time to realize his immense potential. Luckily, like Ryan Fitzgerald, time is clearly on his side and late 2nd round means zero pressure on him to come riding to the rescue anytime soon.

Those questioning the pick are welcome to do that. But all that tells me is that they have done a zero amount of homework on Donato, haven't seen him play, talked to him, or really have a clue. If they had, there would at least be a grudging respect for him, even with the dissent. Disagreement makes the world go 'round, I guess, but you'd be hard-pressed to find a kid in this draft who wanted to be a Bruin more, or who has lived/been around the Hall of Fame talents he's been exposed to.

I'm assuming this hip issue is not going to be chronic but an isolated incident so considering he is atleast 3 years away why would he drop?

Ratty

Feb 2, 2003
Rive Gauche
Visit site
I agree with Kirk that Ryan's development would be better served under Jerry York at BC. Outstanding program when you consider all the talent he has sent to the NHL. Now, Sonny Milano (16) and Alex Tuch (18), first rounders, are committed to the Heights. Thatcher Dembo (second round) is already there.

It may also be a good idea to get him into a different environment than his father and uncle, not that they have not been a positive influence. But Jerry's the best in the college ranks. Ryan still has another year in high school so he still has time to change his mind. And York has too much respect for Teddy that he wouldn't try to entice him to the Heights.

Johnnyduke

Oct 30, 2007
i will not claim to know anything about this kid. only concern i had was him playing for his dad at harvard. i DO follow the college game very closely and i just don't know if that's a great option for his development as a hockey player. but maybe he's that good where it won't matter.

also, it's rare that a kid plays another year of high school hockey after being drafted, no?

finchster

Jul 12, 2006
Antalya
unless he`s not taking things for granted and wishes to secure an education in the case he never makes it to the big`s???

I don`t know, from all I know about him, which is 100% what I`ve read here from those I trust who are far closer to the game than I, he`s a quality kid and a good head on his shoulders. I rarily have expectations for draft picks to be anything more than players who`ll we`ll "maybe" see in 3-5 years anyways

Which is why I stated if I was Donato I would do the same?

I would never blame anyone for picking an education over sports, especially when that education is Harvard. Going to Harvard doesn't mean he gave up on hockey either, Donato can have a good future outside of hockey and a hockey career attending Harvard. But as a fan of this hockey team I would prefer to see our prospects in high level development programs where hockey is the main focus.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad