Confirmed with Link: Bruins select Ryan Donato 56th overall/2nd Round

b in vancouver

Jul 28, 2005
Hopefully Ryan (too strange to write Donato) makes it. Loved watching his dad play. Really happy the bruins drafted him.

Kirk- NEHJ

Aug 22, 2002
CAV Country!
www.hockeyjournal.com
I'm assuming this hip issue is not going to be chronic but an isolated incident so considering he is atleast 3 years away why would he drop?

Because even the possibility of the injury lingering is another risk factor to add to a kid with a strike against because of the prep level of competition. Teams don't assume anything, Dan- that's why they try to get players checked out beforehand.

Fenian24

Jun 14, 2010
Not thrilled with Donato, but not taking Hunter Smith will bite this team in the *** in 3 years when he is pummeling the league and putting up points and the Bruins, with some of these tremendous selection over the past two years of Smurfs and midgets that don't hit or fight, will look like team Sweden and get run out of the rink.

Yes I have heard all the anti fighting propaganda about how the game is changing and it will be all about speed, blah, blah, blah. Just like after the lockout about how offense will be brought back in and teams that trap and play defense will be left behind. That didn't happen, neither will fighting and hitting going away, the Bruins will be left behind, playing catch up as they have so many times in the past as they get hammered night in and night out while boring people to tears playing like the Red Wings.

The fact that Gretzky and Axelsson have prominent voices at the draft table is flat out terrifying.

Artemis

Took the red pill
Dec 8, 2010
Mount Olympus
Not thrilled with Donato, but not taking Hunter Smith will bite this team in the *** in 3 years when he is pummeling the league and putting up points and the Bruins, with some of these tremendous selection over the past two years of Smurfs and midgets that don't hit or fight, will look like team Sweden and get run out of the rink.

Yes I have heard all the anti fighting propaganda about how the game is changing and it will be all about speed, blah, blah, blah. Just like after the lockout about how offense will be brought back in and teams that trap and play defense will be left behind. That didn't happen, neither will fighting and hitting going away, the Bruins will be left behind, playing catch up as they have so many times in the past as they get hammered night in and night out while boring people to tears playing like the Red Wings.

The fact that Gretzky and Axelsson have prominent voices at the draft table is flat out terrifying.

There is not one team in the NHL that determines its identity by its draft picks. If a team is very, VERY lucky, a handful of kids over the course of a few years will contibute to the big club. A few will play elsewhere in the NHL, some will be career minor leaguers, and the majority will never play pro hockey.

The Bruins have, over the past few years, continued to be a tough (and by tough, I don't mean just fighters) team through the draft (Lucic), FA signings (Thornton, Chara, Miller), trade (Boychuk, Seidenberg, McQuaid, Paille, Campbell). They also have a team philosophy that encourages defense, board play and hard hitting, which has made "finesse" players such as Bergeron, Krejci and Marchand difficult to play against as well.

The Bruins will never, unless they undergo some sort of F.O. and coaching lobotomy, will never be "run out of the rink." A few draft picks who may or may not make it aren't going to profoundly change an NHL team.

Danton Heineken

Howard Potts
Mar 11, 2007
Fall River

Literally every single thing about this post is wrong.

DNE3

Sep 14, 2010
Not thrilled with Donato, but not taking Hunter Smith will bite this team in the *** in 3 years when he is pummeling the league and putting up points and the Bruins, with some of these tremendous selection over the past two years of Smurfs and midgets that don't hit or fight, will look like team Sweden and get run out of the rink. Yes I have heard all the anti fighting propaganda about how the game is changing and it will be all about speed, blah, blah, blah. Just like after the lockout about how offense will be brought back in and teams that trap and play defense will be left behind. That didn't happen, neither will fighting and hitting going away, the Bruins will be left behind, playing catch up as they have so many times in the past as they get hammered night in and night out while boring people to tears playing like the Red Wings. The fact that Gretzky and Axelsson have prominent voices at the draft table is flat out terrifying.

The very last thing Providence could be accused of last year, was boring hockey. The curtain is closing in Boston on wide-body grit, and if it's a league-wide phenomena, Chiarelli guessed right.

Fenian24

Jun 14, 2010
There is not one team in the NHL that determines its identity by its draft picks. If a team is very, VERY lucky, a handful of kids over the course of a few years will contibute to the big club. A few will play elsewhere in the NHL, some will be career minor leaguers, and the majority will never play pro hockey.

The Bruins have, over the past few years, continued to be a tough (and by tough, I don't mean just fighters) team through the draft (Lucic), FA signings (Thornton, Chara, Miller), trade (Boychuk, Seidenberg, McQuaid, Paille, Campbell). They also have a team philosophy that encourages defense, board play and hard hitting, which has made "finesse" players such as Bergeron, Krejci and Marchand difficult to play against as well.

The Bruins will never, unless they undergo some sort of F.O. and coaching lobotomy, will never be "run out of the rink." A few draft picks who may or may not make it aren't going to profoundly change an NHL team.

A well thought out response, my fear is a pipeline of talent lacking size and toughness, it's already getting there. Spooner and Koko are everybody's top two prospects and neither of them is what I would call tough or big.

I remember teams like the 95-96,99-00,05-06 and 06-07 who were awful and boring because they lacked toughness, a couple of those teams are the results of previous drafts that concentrated on finesse over size and toughness, when they were jumping on board the latest trend of fighting is going away and we'll be a finesse team. It didn't happen then and, despite Gary Bettman's attempts and the hopes of some people on this board, it isn't going to happen now on a league wide basis.

Artemis

Took the red pill
Dec 8, 2010
Mount Olympus
A well thought out response, my fear is a pipeline of talent lacking size and toughness, it's already getting there. Spooner and Koko are everybody's top two prospects and neither of them is what I would call tough or big.

I remember teams like the 95-96,99-00,05-06 and 06-07 who were awful and boring because they lacked toughness, a couple of those teams are the results of previous drafts that concentrated on finesse over size and toughness, when they were jumping on board the latest trend of fighting is going away and we'll be a finesse team. It didn't happen then and, despite Gary Bettman's attempts and the hopes of some people on this board, it isn't going to happen now on a league wide basis.

The Bruins under current management will never not be tough. I can't speak for what will happen 30 years from now, but under this management team, no worries. Spooner and Koko are two players, and God knows if either of them will even end up in Boston.

Draft picks are just one piece of the puzzle, and Chiarelli has shown a predilection for picking up defensemen especially after they've developed elsewhere.

Remember a few years back, when the Rangers drafting Dylan McIlrath at #10 was one of the signs that they were getting tougher? I've seen McIlrath play several times - in Hartford. He certainly hasn't had the effect some people thought he would, has he?

Fenian24

Jun 14, 2010
The Bruins under current management will never not be tough. I can't speak for what will happen 30 years from now, but under this management team, no worries. Spooner and Koko are two players, and God knows if either of them will even end up in Boston.

Draft picks are just one piece of the puzzle, and Chiarelli has shown a predilection for picking up defensemen especially after they've developed elsewhere.

Remember a few years back, when the Rangers drafting Dylan McIlrath at #10 was one of the signs that they were getting tougher? I've seen McIlrath play several times - in Hartford. He certainly hasn't had the effect some people thought he would, has he?

No but I would deal one Spooner/Koko for him, still think he has a real nice future as a shutdown defenseman/fighter.

I hope you are right about current management, I fear they are going in the wrong direction.

zaYG

Nerevarine
Jun 29, 2012
Santa Cruz, CA

I love the fact that Bergeron, Krejci, and Marchand are considered "finesse" players on our team although they would be among the grittiest players on many teams. Probably grittier than anyone on Montreal.

That is what I love about this team. All these "soft swedes" will probably end up more like Krejci. Physical enough to get the job done without being a 6'7" goon with truculence that can't skate for their life.

Artemis

Took the red pill
Dec 8, 2010
Mount Olympus
I love the fact that Bergeron, Krejci, and Marchand are considered "finesse" players on our team although they would be among the grittiest players on many teams. Probably grittier than anyone on Montreal.

That is what I love about this team. All these "soft swedes" will probably end up more like Krejci. Physical enough to get the job done without being a 6'7" goon with truculence that can't skate for their life.

I know, right? :)

Toughness isn't just dropping the gloves or being the Incredible Hulk. It's taking a hit to make a pass, parking your behind in front of the net, standing up for yourself and your teammates. Bergeron has had two fights in his NHL career, but IMHO he's tough as nails, and so is Krejci. That's what you want for toughness, not a goon who skates 2 minutes a game.

Last edited:

Fenian24

Jun 14, 2010
I know, right? :)

Toughness isn't just dropping the gloves or being the Incredible Hulk. It's taking a hit to make a pass, parking your behind in front of the net, standing up for yourself and your teammates. Bergeron has had two fights in his NHL career, but IMHO he's tough as nails, and so is Krejci. That's what you want for toughness, not a goon who skates 2 minutes a game.

I agree with this to a point but dropping your gloves (and winning) and delivering a hit are absolutely part of a tough game. I have never and doubt I will ever criticize Patrice Bergeron for lack of heart or toughness. Loui Eriksson on the other hand lacks any type of toughness (or skill for that matter).

A team needs balance and part of that balance is the team type toughness you talk about, it's why guys like Seguin, Janney, Kvartalnov and Kessell, while talented, I have no respect for and do not want on my team, but also part of toughness is the 6-7 enforcer who can destroy somebody with a check and his fists. I fear the Bruins are losing this and will regret it.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->