Proposal: Bruins - Sabres

dixie

Mar 15, 2022
Bad trading partners and to close in the same division.That being said you need to make the playoffs at sometime before you reall rate your players.Hold off on player ratings until you play in a couple of playoff series.Cozens isa second line center as long as Thompson is there! So let s call him a young David Krejci.

is the answer jesus

Mar 10, 2008
Tonawanda, NY
Big deal. Middelstadt is not better than Coyle whom is the Bruins 3rd line center. You’re suggesting we move out key cogs on the roster for a guy who’d essentially be the Bruins 4th line center? Bruins need top 6 centers next season not bottom 6 fodder.

Forbort, Hall, Grzelcyk, etc…. Those are names I suspect are shopped.
I'll take the guy who's seven years younger, costs less than half as much, is coming off a more productive season and who still has room for growth, but you are entitled to your opinion. I'm not suggesting the Bruins move Swayman or Carlo. In fact I've said I don't see them moving either player in the short-term. I believe Boston would love to move those pieces first as well. We'll see just how hungry teams are to take on the Bruins cap dumps.

Hookslide

Nov 19, 2018
I do know that. However, Carlo and Swayman dont get you a 1C. Mittelstadt will probably peak out as a serviceable 2C. He is the replacement for Krejci. For a 1C you have to pay. Pay a shitload or overpay in UFA for a 28+
Carlo and Swayman don't get you Mittlestadt , no you got it ass backwards Mitts doesn't get you Carlo and Sway , as a matter of fact he doe not get you one of them.........

Oates2Neely

Jan 19, 2010
Massachusetts
I'll take the guy who's seven years younger, costs less than half as much, is coming off a more productive season and who still has room for growth, but you are entitled to your opinion. I'm not suggesting the Bruins move Swayman or Carlo. In fact I've said I don't see them moving either player in the short-term. I believe Boston would love to move those pieces first as well. We'll see just how hungry teams are to take on the Bruins cap dumps.
Grzelcyk & Hall “cap dumps”. Hot take alert

Reactions: PatriceBergeronFan

KrakenSabresMike

Oct 7, 2020
Can’t believe we are at this bruins Sabres discussion again - it went no where last time bc y’all think a 50-60 pt center is not “ good” and Rosen isn’t “either “ because you apparently have Lysell who’s “ better” and want Cozens or kulich for your 1b goalie that we don’t want to pay that much for. Just shut it down again … this is going no where. Also again we have a 21 yo straight out of college playing fine that has a goal saved above expected near shesterkin. We don’t need to trade our best assets for swayman - we just need a starting caliber older dude like varlamov for 2 years to pair with Levi and have lots of capspace to do it

wintersej

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Nov 26, 2011
North Andover, MA
Can’t believe we are at this bruins Sabres discussion again - it went no where last time bc y’all think a 50-60 pt center is not “ good” and Rosen isn’t “either “ because you apparently have Lysell who’s “ better” and want Cozens or kulich for your 1b goalie that we don’t want to pay that much for. Just shut it down again … this is going no where. Also again we have a 21 yo straight out of college playing fine that has a goal saved above expected near shesterkin. We don’t need to trade our best assets for swayman - we just need a starting caliber older dude like varlamov for 2 years to pair with Levi and have lots of capspace to do it

Bruins fans didn't start this thread...

It's not that those players aren't good... it's that Swayman and Carlo are both core foundational pieces to what Boston is trying to do and Middlestat and some prospects are not. Bruins fans, rightly, asked for a core foundational piece in return. Sabres fans, rightly, said 'hell no'.

I share your frustrations that this thread won't get off the first page and die.

Reactions: ON3M4N

is the answer jesus

Mar 10, 2008
Tonawanda, NY
Grzelcyk & Hall “cap dumps”. Hot take alert
I mean I'm being told a young, mid 50's point center in Mittelstadt is "mediocre", but a past his prime Taylor Hall who's scored at a 55 point clip over the last 3 seasons while making 6 million dollars a year and being a completely one dimensional winger isn't a cap dump? 🙄
Grzelcyk could hold some value to a team that could appropriately shelter him. I don't think he'd be some hot commodity on the market, but he could return a pick as a serviceable 4/5 kind of guy.

• Haha
Reactions: wintersej

Djp

Jul 28, 2012
Alexandria, VA
I mean I'm being told a young, mid 50's point center in Mittelstadt is "mediocre", but a past his prime Taylor Hall who's scored at a 55 point clip over the last 3 seasons while making 6 million dollars a year and being a completely one dimensional winger isn't a cap dump? 🙄
Grzelcyk could hold some value to a team that could appropriately shelter him. I don't think he'd be some hot commodity on the market, but he could return a pick as a serviceable 4/5 kind of guy.
I don’t see a market for Grzelcyk. He has 1 yr at $3.7M.
teams can find 2 yr rentals on the open market who they can sign for half his pay.

you have a small group of teams that need to get to the floor. Those are ones who might take him but they aren’t giving up much knowing how valuable cap space is. Most of the teams won’t have the space to even take him on for picks.

• Haha
Reactions: wintersej

BKarchitect

Oct 12, 2017
Kansas City, MO
I guess the OP had Cozens in there originally which is terrible for Buffalo but now it just is terrible for Boston.

The Bruins aren’t in the business of getting substantially worse for no reason for the next 2-3 years. Ullmark and Swayman is the best duo in net in the league and there’s no incentive to move on from either, Pasta is the best sniper in the NHL, Bergeron is still an immaculate two-way player, the forward depth is good if not flashy with Marchand, Hall, Coyle and DeBrusk all locked up for extended periods and the defense is absolutely fire…I expect Orlov will resign and the core of McAvoy-Lindholm-Orlov-Carlo is still smack its prime. Hell we probably haven’t even seen peak McAvoy yet.

This is trying to solve some sort of “futures” problem that the Bruins simply don’t have. The are markably worse if they make this deal and there’s no slam dunk prime choice asset coming back that would make the step back worth it in any way, shape or form.

Oates2Neely

Jan 19, 2010
Massachusetts
Let me put it this way.. Casey Mittelstadt isn’t playing over Bergeron Zacha or Coyle next season, so essentially he’d be the Bruins 4th line center? Meanwhile Swayman immediately becomes Buffalo’s starting goaltender and Carlo easily slots alongside Dahlin over Samuelsson.

So Buffalo acquires their new starting goaltender and their top pairing #2 dman while gifting Boston its 4C (at 2.5m) all for a 1st (top 5 protected)? IF Boston wins a Cup maybe Bergeron retires? Then Mittelstadt is 3C? No thanks, easy pass.

• Haha
Reactions: Asymmetric Solution

is the answer jesus

Mar 10, 2008
Tonawanda, NY
Let me put it this way.. Casey Mittelstadt isn’t playing over Bergeron Zacha or Coyle next season, so essentially he’d be the Bruins 4th line center? Meanwhile Swayman immediately becomes Buffalo’s starting goaltender and Carlo easily slots alongside Dahlin over Samuelsson.

So Buffalo acquires their new starting goaltender and their top pairing #2 dman while gifting Boston its 4C (at 2.5m) all for a 1st (top 5 protected)? IF Boston wins a Cup maybe Bergeron retires? Then Mittelstadt is 3C? No thanks, easy pass.
I don't think the deal makes any sense for Boston and have said as much. I was simply pointing out that Taylor Hall is absolutely a cap dump and that Casey Mittelstadt is a pretty good young player. Obviously a proposal with players like this is pretty much dead on arrival. Boston isn't moving these guys in the division and Buffalo won't overpay to get these guys.

wintersej

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Nov 26, 2011
North Andover, MA
But Boston would rather have Coyle at 2× the cap hit with less production.

For the role of defensive zone start buried 3rd line C? Yeah. The Bruins have a quick zone entry ace that is great at passing the puck on the third line already in Hall. Mitts just isn’t the right fit for Boston. He isn’t going to displace DeBrusk, Zacha, Hall or Coyle in the middle six, and even if you want to argue that he is better than one of those guys, it’s not worth moving Swayman and/or Carlo for a marginal upgrade.

wintersej

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Nov 26, 2011
North Andover, MA

TIL that the guy that is #3 in even strength TOI for one of the best teams of all time and that plays on the top pairing is a serviceable 4/5 kind of guy.

is the answer jesus

Mar 10, 2008
Tonawanda, NY
TIL that the guy that is #3 in even strength TOI for one of the best teams of all time and that plays on the top pairing is a serviceable 4/5 kind of guy.
The Bruins have an excellent team with talent all over the roster, Grzelcyk should thank god every day he gets to play alongside a player like McAvoy who's exponentially more talented than he is. If he's such a key cog of your blueline maybe you should move McAvoy, Lindholm or Carlo instead.

Eddie Munson

This year is my year. I can feel it. ‘86 baby!
Jul 11, 2008
But Boston would rather have Coyle at 2× the cap hit with less production.

I’d rather Mittlestadt over Coyle. But that’s not the trade. It’s a redundant piece in Mittlestadt for two core pieces of the Boston Bruins.

Eddie Munson

This year is my year. I can feel it. ‘86 baby!
Jul 11, 2008
The Bruins have an excellent team with talent all over the roster, Grzelcyk should thank god every day he gets to play alongside a player like McAvoy who's exponentially more talented than he is. If he's such a key cog of your blueline maybe you should move McAvoy, Lindholm or Carlo instead.

:doh:

Big leap from someone being a “4 or 5” like you said and a key cog. Guy has played as a number two next to a top-10 D. At worse he’s a 4 who plays well at both ends and can run a PP. Boston has a luxury of having another number 2 guy in Lindholm. It’s called trading a strength for a need.

Honestly, posts like this make you look like you have no idea what you’re talking about and add nothing to the conversation.

Probably time to move on from this one as there’s just not a fit between these two teams.

is the answer jesus

Mar 10, 2008
Tonawanda, NY
:doh:

Big leap from someone being a “4 or 5” like you said and a key cog. Guy has played as a number two next to a top-10 D. At worse he’s a 4 who plays well at both ends and can run a PP. Boston has a luxury of having another number 2 guy in Lindholm. It’s called trading a strength for a need.

Honestly, posts like this make you look like you have no idea what you’re talking about and add nothing to the conversation.

Probably time to move on from this one as there’s just not a fit between these two teams.
I said he's a 4/5 defenseman who could garner a pick if Boston decided to move him and I think thats a fair assessment. I believe Bruins fans are overselling him. Defenseman are routinely moved up to make pairings that work or fit better for a team. Samuelsson is routinely paired with Dahlin. I wouldn't call him a "top pairing defenseman" as a result. In your own words: " At worst he's a 4". So it doesn't sound like we have vastly different opinions on the player. You've just taken exception to the fact that I think he's being overrated by some of your fanbase while they peddle him as one of the valuable pieces we might have to move this offseason.
The "key cog" comment is to highlight the fact he's realistically the 4th or 5th most talented player on your blueline and despite whatever mental gymnastics you guys try to go through you realize this. It's great he can play the 3rd most EV minutes on a completely loaded team with one of the best defenseman in the league playing next to him. We'll see just how valuable the rest of the league views him if/when Boston looks to slash salary in the offseason.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad