Proposal: Bruins - Sabres

is the answer jesus

Mar 10, 2008
Tonawanda, NY
Completely unimpressive package from Buffalo. Mittelstadt is mediocre, Bruins have Keyser/ Bussi who could backup Ullmark if Swayman was moved. Carlo isn’t moving as Clifton & Grzelcyk would be dealt first for cap space.

You can have Derek Forbort for a 3rd
I wouldn't claim Forbort if he were on waivers. So I'll go ahead and pass on giving the Bruins a draft pick for him.
As for Mittelstadt he looks like a player that's starting to figure things out. He's at 53 points on the season and I still think he's got a higher ceiling. He's signed on a cheap deal at 2.5 million next season. If that's "mediocre" to the Bruins I'm cool keeping the player and gambling on the upside of a cheap young player.
I would assume Boston will look elsewhere on their roster to shed salary. Carlo and Swayman are important pieces of their team and aren't/won't be overpaid in the near future. If Boston is backed into a corner they'll ship players like that out of the division.

Gabrielor

"Win with us or watch us win." - Rasmus Dahlin
Jun 28, 2011
Buffalo, NY
Pass. No interest in giving Boston youth.

It's past-due for them to fall back; it's been close to 15 years since they weren't at least playoff competitive.

Since I've seen it in multiple threads now too, no, you aren't getting Cozens. Stop. You've had your time. You're currently at near the peak of it.

Last edited:

HaNotsri

Regstred User
Dec 29, 2013
Not saying it's fair value but if Buffalo and Boston would make a trade Boston would heavily try to get Cozens.
Also Sabres have been very patient with Mittelstadt, why would they move him now?
Yeah and Buffalo would need to get Pastrnak back in such a deal. Never happening.

Djp

Jul 28, 2012
Alexandria, VA
If Bergeron and Krejci is retiring and Bruins decide to do a retool, they have a few pieces that will return a lot that could be available. Buffalo seem like a good tradepartner, even if its inside division. Buffalo`s biggest needs are a goalie and a stellar 3-4D. Boston need C:s and cap/picks

Buffalo get:

G Swayman RFA extension in the 3-4M range
D Carlo 4.1M UFA 2027

Boston get:

C Mittelstadt 2.5M RFA 2024
D Jokiharju 2.5M RFA 2024
G Luukkonen .837M RFA 2024
1st 2024 top5 protected

Would you do it?
Boston isn’t moving him.

It might be a personal preference here, but I have zero interest in Mittelstadt.
Zacha is doing great as our Krejci replacement. We need a 1C for Bergeron when he retires. I don't see Mittelstadt as that. Coyle at 3 C is a lock and 4C we have a very good Nosek, eventually Beecher. 3 of our 4 C positions are filled post-retirement. That's why people are mentioning Couzins so much. Boston's need is a franchise C, not a middle 6 guy.

Now, do you want to prove he is a future 1C on a playoff team?
Go right ahead. Would be an interesting conversation, no doubt.
But simply making him the centerpiece in a Deal where Boston gives up a lot is insufficient. You are going to have to sell him to the posters here.

Boston isn’t getting a franchise C in a trade. They have to UFA shop.

Reactions: AngryMilkcrates

is the answer jesus

Mar 10, 2008
Tonawanda, NY
53 point NHL season isn't a bust.

Below Pronman-high expectations? Yes.

Bust? No. Zach Senyshyn. That's a bust.
The development curve for Mittelstadt was always going to be a bit longer. He was rushed into the NHL and lost quite a bit of development time playing on bad teams with bad coaches. He was certainly overhyped by Pronman (and others) after the WJC but it does give you some insight into just how talented Mittelstadt is to be regarded as one of the best prospects in the game. I think we're starting to see him emerge as a legitimate 2nd liner. Since February he's been on a roughly 70 point pace with 25 points in 29 games. I think people that don't watch the Sabres very often are just ignorant of how good Casey has been for the Sabres down the stretch this season.

HogtownSabresfan

Jan 13, 2010
Not saying it's fair value but if Buffalo and Boston would make a trade Boston would heavily try to get Cozens.
Also Sabres have been very patient with Mittelstadt, why would they move him now?

Cozens is not moving for anything on that list. Pretty much zero chance. He's 22, signed for $7.1 M and about to close on a 30+ goal, 70+ point season. His value is sky-high.

Reactions: VaporTrail

HogtownSabresfan

Jan 13, 2010
Casey's value has jumped way up. At $2.5 M with a year of team control and a likely finish of about 13+ goals and 50+ points gives him tons of value.

McJedi

Apr 21, 2020
Florida
If Bergeron and Krejci is retiring and Bruins decide to do a retool, they have a few pieces that will return a lot that could be available. Buffalo seem like a good tradepartner, even if its inside division. Buffalo`s biggest needs are a goalie and a stellar 3-4D. Boston need C:s and cap/picks

Buffalo get:

G Swayman RFA extension in the 3-4M range
D Carlo 4.1M UFA 2027

Boston get:

C Mittelstadt 2.5M RFA 2024
D Jokiharju 2.5M RFA 2024
G Luukkonen .837M RFA 2024
1st 2024 top5 protected

Would you do it?
Buffalo adds IMO. Value favors them too much.

kthx

Bedard to Bruins 2023
Apr 24, 2019
Cozens is not moving for anything on that list. Pretty much zero chance. He's 22, signed for $7.1 M and about to close on a 30+ goal, 70+ point season. His value is sky-high.
Exactly my point. Bruins and Sabres are not great trade partners.

Push Dr Tracksuit

Gerstmann 3:16
Jun 9, 2012
1) Not saying it's fair value but if Buffalo and Boston would make a trade Boston would heavily try to get Cozens.
2) Also Sabres have been very patient with Mittelstadt, why would they move him now?
1) Cozens is as close to untouchable as you get on a developing roster. Age, contract, production, leadership, he checks basically every box and on top of it he's a center.
2) Swayman, there's also the numbers game, mitts is basically forward 6 and the 5 above him are all signed reasonably long term or are jack quinn and theres 4-5 younger prospects with legitimate top 6 potential coming behind him, he's the perfect answer to the classic hf question "whats my teams version of bozak and a second I can offer for every fringe elite talent that comes available"

Last edited:
Reactions: DickSmehlik

Oates2Neely

Jan 19, 2010
Massachusetts
I wouldn't claim Forbort if he were on waivers. So I'll go ahead and pass on giving the Bruins a draft pick for him.
As for Mittelstadt he looks like a player that's starting to figure things out. He's at 53 points on the season and I still think he's got a higher ceiling. He's signed on a cheap deal at 2.5 million next season. If that's "mediocre" to the Bruins I'm cool keeping the player and gambling on the upside of a cheap young player.
I would assume Boston will look elsewhere on their roster to shed salary. Carlo and Swayman are important pieces of their team and aren't/won't be overpaid in the near future. If Boston is backed into a corner they'll ship players like that out of the division.
Big deal. Middelstadt is not better than Coyle whom is the Bruins 3rd line center. You’re suggesting we move out key cogs on the roster for a guy who’d essentially be the Bruins 4th line center? Bruins need top 6 centers next season not bottom 6 fodder.

Forbort, Hall, Grzelcyk, etc…. Those are names I suspect are shopped.

Colt.45Orr

Mar 23, 2003
Canada
Kulich was untouchable for a Chychrun deal......Adams flat-out admitted to such.

If he's untouchable for Chychrun, he's extra-super-duper untouchable for Carlo.
Fair, but it doesn't mean Sabres turned down a 1-1 deal, it means that they were unwilling to make Kulich one of the pieces the Yotes wanted

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad