Proposal: Bruins - Sabres

Captain Holt

Fun? I was never fun! You take that back
Jul 10, 2013
Buffalo
No need for Swayman. Levi is our guy from here forward. The might get a vet #2 to play 30 games or so, or I can see them rolling with Comrie, which wouldnt be great, but thats what I think they're gonna do. Either way, we're not giving up multiple assets and roster players for a G.

Reactions: KrakenSabresMike

Asymmetric Solution

Nov 29, 2018
Let me put it this way.. Casey Mittelstadt isn’t playing over Bergeron Zacha or Coyle next season, so essentially he’d be the Bruins 4th line center? Meanwhile Swayman immediately becomes Buffalo’s starting goaltender and Carlo easily slots alongside Dahlin over Samuelsson.

So Buffalo acquires their new starting goaltender and their top pairing #2 dman while gifting Boston its 4C (at 2.5m) all for a 1st (top 5 protected)? IF Boston wins a Cup maybe Bergeron retires? Then Mittelstadt is 3C? No thanks, easy pass.
This is false.

Mitts is much more offensively talented than Zacha and Coyoe combined. Bergeron is retiring and Zacha is your 1C?

Carlo does not come close to supplanting Samuelsson on our top pair either. He’s a legit top pairing shut down Dman who pairs so well with Dahlin pushing from the blue line. Carlo would likely slot in as Power’s partner on the second pair. Dahlin is a left shot playing RHD. I guess if Granato was willing to put Dahlin back at LHD it could work but I don’t see that with Sammy and Power both LH.

Last edited:
  • Haha
Reactions: wintersej

PatriceBergeronFan

Jul 15, 2011
USA
This is false.

Mitts is much more offensively talented than Zacha and Coyoe combined. Bergeron is retiring and Zacha is your 1C?

Carlo does not come close to supplanting Samuelsson on our top pair either. He’s a legit top pairing shut down Dman who pairs so well with Dahlin pushing from the blue line. Carlo would likely slot in as Power’s partner on the second pair. Dahlin is a left shot playing RHD. I guess if Granato was willing to put Dahlin back at LHD it could work but I don’t see that with Sammy and Power both LH.

This reeks of the NYR fan posts last season. Perfect roster, elite in all crucial areas. Yet no playoffs for Buffalo? Zacha over a point per game in games as Boston 2C. Carlo is Carlo, very little offense but 2nd pair behind McAvoy. Top pair elsewhere perhaps.

Reactions: Oates2Neely

Asymmetric Solution

Nov 29, 2018
This reeks of the NYR fan posts last season. Perfect roster, elite in all crucial areas. Yet no playoffs for Buffalo? Zacha over a point per game in games as Boston 2C. Carlo is Carlo, very little offense but 2nd pair behind McAvoy. Top pair elsewhere perhaps.
Nobody said perfect. Just that the two individuals you singled out as being second fiddle to the ones on Boston in the proposal is not at all accurate. Obviously Boston is a better team, in large part because of their defense and goaltending. Buffalo is young but outside of Pasta, has much more dynamic offensive players.

TehDoak

Chili that wants to be here
Sponsor
Feb 28, 2002
Will fix everything
As a Sabres fan, done and done.

They can sign Swayman to a 2 year deal to be a bridge to Levi and then recoup their investment by flipping Swayman when Levi is ready to be the full time starter. Carlo helps the PK and gives Power an experienced partner.

Oates2Neely

Jan 19, 2010
Massachusetts
This is false.

Oh stop it. Mittelstadt is not more offensively gifted than Zacha nor is he more defensively gifted than Coyle. And when did Bergeron inform you he’s retiring? Was it via text or email?

Carlo is considered by Bruins fans offensively challenged, yet he’s outscored Samuelsson this season and prior seasons. And he’s our shutdown D.

You’re reaching. Mittelstadt would currently be Bostons 4th line center. Carlo would be Buffalo’s top line D and Swayman their starter.

• Haha
Reactions: Asymmetric Solution

wintersej

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Nov 26, 2011
North Andover, MA
Nobody said perfect. Just that the two individuals you singled out as being second fiddle to the ones on Boston in the proposal is not at all accurate. Obviously Boston is a better team, in large part because of their defense and goaltending. Buffalo is young but outside of Pasta, has much more dynamic offensive players.

Middelstadt has zero chance of being on PP1 in Boston, so I only care about 5 on 5 production. Both Zacha and Coyle are outscoring Middelstadt at 5 on 5. Heck, Zacha is 2nd on the Bruins in 5 on 5 points ahead of Marchand, Krejci, Bergeron, DeBrusk, Hall, etc. Given that the Bruins value size and defense up the middle, just zero zero zero zero percent chance Middelstadt would displace either of those guys. He wouldn't displace Marchand either. He is pretty analogous to Taylor Hall, the Bruins 3rd line LW. A playmaking winger who is good on zone entries.

Yatzhee

Aug 5, 2010
If Bergeron and Krejci is retiring and Bruins decide to do a retool, they have a few pieces that will return a lot that could be available. Buffalo seem like a good tradepartner, even if its inside division. Buffalo`s biggest needs are a goalie and a stellar 3-4D. Boston need C:s and cap/picks

Buffalo get:

G Swayman RFA extension in the 3-4M range
D Carlo 4.1M UFA 2027

Boston get:

C Mittelstadt 2.5M RFA 2024
D Jokiharju 2.5M RFA 2024
G Luukkonen .837M RFA 2024
1st 2024 top5 protected

Would you do it?
No

MarkusKetterer

Shoulda got one game in
Oh stop it. Mittelstadt is not more offensively gifted than Zacha nor is he more defensively gifted than Coyle. And when did Bergeron inform you he’s retiring? Was it via text or email?

Carlo is considered by Bruins fans offensively challenged, yet he’s outscored Samuelsson this season and prior seasons. And he’s our shutdown D.

You’re reaching. Mittelstadt would currently be Bostons 4th line center. Carlo would be Buffalo’s top line D and Swayman their starter.

It’s not that crazy to assume Bergeron is retiring, given his age. I don’t expect him to, but until he signs another contract we can think it’s a possibility.

BruinsFan37

Jun 26, 2015
Bruins and Sabers don't trade with each other period. I don't know why, but they don't

Prior to the Hall trade which was largely forced by Hall himself trades between Boston and Buffalo included:

2009 -- Daniel Paille for picks.

And that's it. In the entire 50+ years of the Sabers existence they've completed exactly two trades with Boston, and again one of those was forced by the player himself.

Edit to add: Boston has completed more trades with Montreal in the same timeframe than Buffalo.

DJN21

Aug 8, 2011
Rochester
Bruins and Sabers don't trade with each other period. I don't know why, but they don't

Prior to the Hall trade which was largely forced by Hall himself trades between Boston and Buffalo included:

And that's it. In the entire 50+ years of the Sabers existence they've completed exactly two trades with Boston, and again one of those was forced by the player himself.
pshhh yeah thanks for Bjork...a little warning next time on uselessness would be nice

Hasekperreault23

Nov 23, 2018

Edit to add: Boston has completed more trades with Montreal in the same timeframe than Buffalo.
Peter McNab for Andre Savard..still mad about that one...lol

dredeye

BJ Elitist/Hipster
Mar 3, 2008
Paying full value for assets from a cap strapped team makes no sense. Zero reason to move Mittelstadt, but Joki and UPL could move for upgrades. Saying that, I'd rather see who's available via UFA for a couple years contract then ever deal with the Bruins.
You consider this full value lol? Yikes

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad