Recalled/Assigned: Bruins Recall Cunningham and Khokhlachev

DominicT

Sep 6, 2009
Stratford Ontario
dom.hockey
Makes sense, basically, it gives them a higher daily cap ceiling if they can get full use out of both LTIR's.

Now, will they use that money at the deadline...that's the question

Said it before, and worth repeating: 2 things have to happen before they make a deal

1) Recall players to use up Savard's LTIR
2) Place Seidenberg on LTIR (then send those players back down)
3) Trade

There is absolutely no benefit to putting Seidenberg on LTIR if they have no plans on using that money.

Now, these call-ups could be nothing more than bodies to fill practice lineups (more than likely) but if Seidenberg goes on LTIR in the next day or two..... And by no means is this a showcase. Teams don't scout other teams practices. It's the best dollar for dollar move they can make.

bb_fan

Feb 27, 2002
boston
Visit site
Said it before, and worth repeating: 2 things have to happen before they make a deal

1) Recall players to use up Savard's LTIR
2) Place Seidenberg on LTIR (then send those players back down)
3) Trade

There is absolutely no benefit to putting Seidenberg on LTIR if they have no plans on using that money.

Now, these call-ups could be nothing more than bodies to fill practice lineups (more than likely) but if Seidenberg goes on LTIR in the next day or two..... And by no means is this a showcase. Teams don't scout other teams practices. It's the best dollar for dollar move they can make.

Is the Nhl's Ltir rules the most ridiculous of the 4 sports.... or does it actually make sense.....?

David Krejci*

I would like to see what we can get in a trade for Khokhlachev. No offense to any Russians on here, I just don't like their style of play and I think for the most part, the Cup isn't the most important thing to them (And why would it be? They didn't grow up here). The Capitals are basically a Russian factory and look at them, they're the epitome of what I would not want the Bruins to be. He's also small, which is fine if he's your only small skilled guy, but we have Marchand, Krug, Bart, Spooner, I don't want another tiny skilled guy, unless he's like Patrick Kane or something which obviously he's not.

Maybe we can trade him to Russia...err...the Capitals in a deal for John Carlson. Not sure what else we would have to add, a 1st and something else probably.

It haunts me for eternity that we took him over Saad.

Last edited by a moderator:

sarge88

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jan 29, 2003
Is this the same Koko that Cassidy benched?

Cassidy and I are in the same fantasy league. A month ago he benched Shea Weber, Crosby, St. Louis and Doughty.

I think it worked, the next game they played awesome.

Over the volcano

Mar 10, 2006
Watertown
I would like to see what we can get in a trade for Khokhlachev. No offense to any Russians on here, I just don't like their style of play and I think for the most part, the Cup isn't the most important thing to them (And why would it be? They didn't grow up here). The Capitals are basically a Russian factory and look at them, they're the epitome of what I would not want the Bruins to be. He's also small, which is fine if he's your only small skilled guy, but we have Marchand, Krug, Bart, Spooner, I don't want another tiny skilled guy, unless he's like Patrick Kane or something which obviously he's not.

Maybe we can trade him to Russia...err...the Capitals in a deal for John Carlson. Not sure what else we would have to add, a 1st and something else probably.

It haunts me for eternity that we took him over Saad.

I know what you are saying, but that's unfair to Koko. I cant think of another Russian kid who has been as committed to playing in North America and working his way toward a shot at the Cup.

Paddington

Mar 8, 2011
Toronto
I know what you are saying, but that's unfair to Koko. I cant think of another Russian kid who has been as committed to playing in North America and working his way toward a shot at the Cup.

I agree. I obviously know nothing about him but I get the impression that he is willing to buy into a system to play in the NHL. Otherwise, why slug around in the minors when you can stay home and probably make more money playing in the KHL. Russians have a certain stigma and maybe there's an argument to be made but they aren't all selfish prima donnas.

Artemis

Took the red pill
Dec 8, 2010
Mount Olympus
I agree. I obviously know nothing about him but I get the impression that he is willing to buy into a system to play in the NHL. Otherwise, why slug around in the minors when you can stay home and probably make more money playing in the KHL. Russians have a certain stigma and maybe there's an argument to be made but they aren't all selfish prima donnas.

No, there's a factory deep in the forests of Siberia that manufactures Russian players. That's why they're all exactly the same.

s3antana5757

Feb 15, 2014
I can't imagine those Olympians missing Wednesday's game, and they better not miss Saturday's since I'm going to be there. Would love to get Carlson from Washington.

BlacknGold Barbarino

Oct 6, 2003
Visit site
Seems like a potential showcase to me. Can't say I'd be pumped to see Koko going anywhere.

Does this ever actually happen? Seems like any time a player is called up for anything other than to cover an injury folks say "must be a showcase." Maybe I'm just blanking on some really obvious instance, but I can't recall a player ever being called up for a game or two then traded shortly thereafter.

I would imagine that any NHL team interested in a prospect will be familiar with said player's body of work from scouting junior/college and minor league games. I doubt an NHL team is suddenly going to discover some prospect they'd never heard of before because another team called him up for a game. I could be completely wrong, but it seems the whole "showcase" idea is something that fans talk about more than actually occurs.

Artemis

Took the red pill
Dec 8, 2010
Mount Olympus
Does this ever actually happen? Seems like any time a player is called up for anything other than to cover an injury folks say "must be a showcase." Maybe I'm just blanking on some really obvious instance, but I can't recall a player ever being called up for a game or two then traded shortly thereafter.

I would imagine that any NHL team interested in a prospect will be familiar with said player's body of work from scouting junior/college and minor league games. I doubt an NHL team is suddenly going to discover some prospect they'd never heard of before because another team called him up for a game. I could be completely wrong, but it seems the whole "showcase" idea is something that fans talk about more than actually occurs.

Koko and Cunningham down today, Lindblad and Florek up, per Bruins tweet.

Yeah, as Dom noted, players aren't showcased at practice. The kids are filling in for the Olympians, getting to practice with the big boys, and getting a day's worth of NHL salary.

dredeye

BJ Elitist/Hipster
Mar 3, 2008

Looks like I was wrong anyway it was just a practise call up. But a showcase is to build on a trade later on showing if a kid may be ready to play in the NHL. It's never a situation where they are called up play two games and get moved. That's not at all what I meant that a trade was imminent.

DominicT

Sep 6, 2009
Stratford Ontario
dom.hockey

Let's forget those from the "ancient" past and look at the last few drafts: Just to name two, Vlad Namestnikov and Nikita Zadorov (not to mention Nail Yakupov who's had every reason to jump ship to the KHL).

Koko has made the jump to the KHL once already and it was at the Bruins urging (almost demanding) that he return to North America and back to Junior with Windsor.

Not saying Koko is not committed, but there are other Russians that are as committed, if not more committed, that came to NA and did their time without running back to Mother Russia to earn $$ rather than stay and develop their game.

Now if your talking Russians drafted by Bruins.... well that's a different story.

Artemis

Took the red pill
Dec 8, 2010
Mount Olympus
Let's forget those from the "ancient" past and look at the last few drafts: Just to name two, Vlad Namestnikov and Nikita Zadorov (not to mention Nail Yakupov who's had every reason to jump ship to the KHL).

Koko has made the jump to the KHL once already and it was at the Bruins urging (almost demanding) that he return to North America and back to Junior with Windsor.

Not saying Koko is not committed, but there are other Russians that are as committed, if not more committed, that came to NA and did their time without running back to Mother Russia to earn $$ rather than stay and develop their game.

Now if your talking Russians drafted by Bruins.... well that's a different story.

Wasn't Koko's father the GM of that team?

Being older, and the mother of a son just about Koko's age, I look at this from a parent's POV, Koko was very young when he went to Canada for the first time, and didn't he have something of a health scare during his junior days? If I'm his mother, and my son's father is looking for players, I'm asking my son to come home, at least for a while. Whether Koko did so eagerly or reluctantly, I have no idea, but as he's in Providence now and not in the KHL, I have to think he's where he wants to be.

DominicT

Sep 6, 2009
Stratford Ontario
dom.hockey
Wasn't Koko's father the GM of that team?

Being older, and the mother of a son just about Koko's age, I look at this from a parent's POV, Koko was very young when he went to Canada for the first time, and didn't he have something of a health scare during his junior days? If I'm his mother, and my son's father is looking for players, I'm asking my son to come home, at least for a while. Whether Koko did so eagerly or reluctantly, I have no idea, but as he's in Providence now and not in the KHL, I have to think he's where he wants to be.

Yes his father was GM of the team. And I am aware how young he was when he came to Canada. I was in London when Namestnikov arrived there and couldn't speak a word of English 3 days before Koko arrived in Windsor (where I also went for his arrival).

Namestnikov has a father working in the KHL, same team Vladdy's brother in law plays for (and the same team that happens to hold his KHL rights).

The statement was he couldn't think of any Russians more committed to playing in North America than Koko. Vladdy was drafted by the Lightning, was sent to the AHL (when he had the opportunity to jump to the KHL) and went to the AHL - no questions asked - because he felt it was the best thing for him for hockey. Prior to the Olympic break, he made his NHL debut.

Koko went to the KHL when most people thought it was the worst thing he could do for his development - and his play, by most accounts showed that. The Bruins almost demanded that he come back to Junior hockey. It wasn't Koko's doing and it wasn't the Windsor Spitfires doing (although the Spits had to make a move to dump an import player to fit him back in).

I have a son the same age as Koko to. And as a father, I'd want him to do what is best for him.

Not saying Koko isn't committed. Its my opinion there are Russians just as committed/or have been more committed to date.

Over the volcano

Mar 10, 2006
Watertown
Yes his father was GM of the team. And I am aware how young he was when he came to Canada. I was in London when Namestnikov arrived there and couldn't speak a word of English 3 days before Koko arrived in Windsor (where I also went for his arrival).

Namestnikov has a father working in the KHL, same team Vladdy's brother in law plays for (and the same team that happens to hold his KHL rights).

The statement was he couldn't think of any Russians more committed to playing in North America than Koko. Vladdy was drafted by the Lightning, was sent to the AHL (when he had the opportunity to jump to the KHL) and went to the AHL - no questions asked - because he felt it was the best thing for him for hockey. Prior to the Olympic break, he made his NHL debut.

Koko went to the KHL when most people thought it was the worst thing he could do for his development - and his play, by most accounts showed that. The Bruins almost demanded that he come back to Junior hockey. It wasn't Koko's doing and it wasn't the Windsor Spitfires doing (although the Spits had to make a move to dump an import player to fit him back in).

I have a son the same age as Koko to. And as a father, I'd want him to do what is best for him.

Not saying Koko isn't committed. Its my opinion there are Russians just as committed/or have been more committed to date.
AHL wasn't an option for koko until this year though, no? I'd imagine he wouldn't have gone to the khl if the AHL was available to him like it was for namestnikov.

Artemis

Took the red pill
Dec 8, 2010
Mount Olympus

I'm sure as a parent you'd want your son to do what's best for him. But not all parents are alike. Some are controlling, some think they know better than their children, some are possessive. Everyone has their own luggage to carry.

Last edited:

Dellstrom

Pastrnasty
May 1, 2011
Boston
Never understood the showcase thing, what if they suck, what if they get injured? Then you're stuck.

Anyway, didn't see this posted but looks like they were sent down and replaced:

Justin Florek, Matt Lindblad join practice

http://www.boston.com/sports/hockey...ustin_florek_matt_lindblad_join_practice.html

Wouldn't mind if Florek stayed up for good. I was REALLY impressed with him during his three games up, 2 points in 3 games playing on the 4th line. Screened the goalie and camped in front of the net every shift. Threw his body around, really just a great 4th line game.

BlacknGold Barbarino

Oct 6, 2003
Visit site
Looks like I was wrong anyway it was just a practise call up. But a showcase is to build on a trade later on showing if a kid may be ready to play in the NHL. It's never a situation where they are called up play two games and get moved. That's not at all what I meant that a trade was imminent.

Again, could be wrong, but I still feel like the whole "showcase" concept in general is a thing fans have made up rather than a thing that actually happens. If you're an NHL GM interested in a player, odds are your team has scouted that player at lower levels. Would you prefer to make decisions based on the player's entire body of work, or one or two games of limited ice time in the NHL?

dredeye

BJ Elitist/Hipster
Mar 3, 2008
Again, could be wrong, but I still feel like the whole "showcase" concept in general is a thing fans have made up rather than a thing that actually happens. If you're an NHL GM interested in a player, odds are your team has scouted that player at lower levels. Would you prefer to make decisions based on the player's entire body of work, or one or two games of limited ice time in the NHL?

It could very well be all something us fans have conjured up. But a team may request a peak at a player ahead of time. They wouldn't base a trade on that single showcase I'm sure but maybe it helps determine cost of acquisition etc. Without knowledge direct from a gm it's obviously speculation on our part.

Era of Sanity

Certified Poster
Nov 12, 2010
The Bruins are in the market for a dman and they tried to trade Koko twice last year so his days in the Bruins organization may very well be down to a small number.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad