Recalled/Assigned: Bruins recall Brian Ferlin

DoubleAAAA

Jun 5, 2009
He played well in both his games so far. To me he projects as a quality 4th liner. It seems like a longshot that he will become a top 6 forward and play with Bergeron and Marchand. Those guys aren't that big but are actually good in the corners, especially Bergeron. I see a better complement as someone who is skilled who can find open spaces and be a dangerous shooter.

I'm with you, impressed with his game and impact as a 4th liner, but pencilling him into a top 6 role after 2 games is a bit much. If he turns into an impact bottom 6 guy that's fantastic.

DKH

The Bergeron of HF
Feb 27, 2002
Think its much too early to say that Smitty is expendable, but I certainly think you nailed it. I've always thought highly of this kid, ever since they drafted him. He is so strong on the puck, and great on the boards, he would fit like a glove with Marchand and Bergeron. Would certainly like that going forward. There is zero reason this kid shouldn't stick the remainder of the season. He's earned it in the AHL, and so far he's earned it here. Limited minutes his first two games and he's making the most of them.

I like Smith on the left side better- that shot that hit the post was from the left side; he should be the third line LW going forward next to Soda, Ryan or Koko

TootSweet

Sep 22, 2009
Montreal, Quebec
Like what I have seen from Ferlin up to this point. I would keep him on that 4th line. I believe he and caron have been playing great and it seems to have woken Soupy up a bit too. Ride the wave.

Sea Bass Neely

Jun 6, 2013
Rhode Island
I like Smith on the left side better- that shot that hit the post was from the left side; he should be the third line LW going forward next to Soda, Ryan or Koko

I think you're right. I mentioned this a few ago, about how Clode apparently has no intention of even trying Smith on the left side. I can't even remember Smitty play LW since his career in Boston... i can only think that maybe it is as always presented him difficulties coming up as an amateur and never really tried as a result.

Maybe Smith has a strong preference... a Russian-style off winger like Pavel Bure or Mogilny (without being Russian, of course :D)

I still think he's versatile enough to do it. And he has displayed a chemistry with Soderberg that makes no time to develop. It just seems to have always been there.

For the record, i think Reilly can fill a top-6 role if he has to. I just think he'd be a great - ideal even - third liner. I really hope they sign him to an affordable, reasonable bridge deal.

Reilly offensive struggle and penchant for streaks will give the B's a better position from which to bargain. If they can get good value back trading him, i am all for it... i just highly doubt the Bruins with get anything worthwhile dangling Reilly Smith tradebait.

RoR21

May 24, 2011
what the thought on him at this point? I really liked him in the game. Does he earn a bottom 6 spot the rest of the year with current injuries? Is he a bottom 6 option while cap situation is bad.

Does he top out as a 2nd liner or 3rd?

Caper Bruins fan

Dec 4, 2011
Cape Breton
what the thought on him at this point? I really liked him in the game. Does he earn a bottom 6 spot the rest of the year with current injuries? Is he a bottom 6 option while cap situation is bad.

Hard to say but for now I like him on the 4th.

PB37

Mr Selke
Oct 1, 2002
Maine

I'm as big a Ferlin guy as there is here. I think he should stay on the 4th line for now and let him continue to get minutes and get comfortable. He's bringing energy and a physical game that he didn't show in the minors. He was always strong on the puck and boards, but he didn't hit with this much frequency. I think if he continues playing the way he is, he'll get bumped up a line. He's the kind of player that would complement any line well because of how well rounded his game is... he's a big strong winger who plays well along the boards, but he also has speed. I think he'll top out as a very good middle 6 winger. Hopefully, he'll find himself as the RH shot for the Soderberg ( or Bergeron ) line.

With Pasta (11 points/23 games), Griffith ( 10 points/30 games ) and now potentially Ferlin ( 1 point 2 games ) and Cunningham ( 3 points/23 games), the Bruins have some young, home grown, cost efficient options on the RW going into next year that are showing that they can play in the NHL.

Sea Bass Neely

Jun 6, 2013
Rhode Island
So Ferlin will be the guy that made one of Soup or Paille expendable. And it seems Paille will be (or actually was) the odd man out. I hope they stick with Ferlin i think he's a great bottom-6 guy

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad