Recalled/Assigned: Bruins recall Brian Ferlin

KnightofBoston

Mar 22, 2010
The Valley of Pioneers
Can someone explain to me how matt fraser was waived so quickly and caron has been allowed to stay here since cross got his doctorate ?

Not saying he'd ever have done anything but it very strange. I hope Ferlin plays and one of campbell or Paille sits and caron continues to sit

Blowfish

Count down ...
Jan 13, 2005
Southwestern Ontario
Can someone explain to me how matt fraser was waived so quickly and caron has been allowed to stay here since cross got his doctorate ?

Not saying he'd ever have done anything but it very strange. I hope Ferlin plays and one of campbell or Paille sits and caron continues to sit

Caron has been waived in the past, however was never picked up by any teams.

HumBucker

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Sep 7, 2005
Toronto
It definitely makes you wonder. Curious to see if they waive either of Paille or Campbell. Or at least try and move them for conditional picks. I think they are starting to realize that the difference between Ferlin/Caron and Campbell/Paille is miniscule at this point production-wise, but the cap hits make a huge bit of difference if they are to improve the top 9.

Points maybe, but huge fall-off in NHL experience - especially playoffs experience.

HumBucker

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Sep 7, 2005
Toronto
But why haven't they called up a D-man? Don't we only have six with the team? Unusual not to have a 7th D.

Is having 3 goalies with the team maxing out the roster?

Ratty

Feb 2, 2003
Rive Gauche
Visit site
But why haven't they called up a D-man? Don't we only have six with the team? Unusual not to have a 7th D.

Is having 3 goalies with the team maxing out the roster?
That situation should be straightened out in a day or so. Carrying three goalies is not a long term issue. After Subban has his fling, he'll either be traded or returned to Rhode Island.

toasterjam

Sep 23, 2014
Mass
Points maybe, but huge fall-off in NHL experience - especially playoffs experience.

Which is probably why these younger guys should have been eased into the 4th line slots earlier in the year when it became apparent that Campbell/Paille/Gagne wasnt working.

It took quite a while and Gagne retiring before Cunningham really got his chance to play on the 4th line. If Gagne didn't retire I honestly think he'd still be playing on the 4th line.

I'm guessing at this point Campbell/Paille will get a free ride on the 4th due to their past experience. They don't have to do anything but since our other options don't have experience we are stuck..they know the system and coach too..so might as well keep playing them. Just a mismanagement creating this problematic cycle:

4th line playing bad-continue to play them-can't scratch them because the kids have no experience-continue to play them-
playoffs come
4th line playing bad-can't scratch them because kids have no experiences-kids get no experience-season ends, Campbell Paille leave.
Kids still have no experience.

I'm excited to see Ferlin!

Alicat

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jul 26, 2005
Boston
SOLD!!

Ali we don't always agree on personnel on this team BUT you knocked this one out of the park.

We need a revamped 4th line. And yours gives us speed, bit of skill, forchecking & doesn't hurt our PK.

It would be a young line but it does remind me more of what we had in 2011 (minus a fighter) in the sense of that's a line that won't hurt us and can contribute in big ways.

I've been known to surprise people every now and again ;) I am so happy to hear Ferlin is up. I've been wanting him to come out or Cornell since I saw him in Dev Camp in both 2012 and 2013. He was absolutely dominant in 2013. I was honestly surprised he left school early.

i hope we get to see that trio or even Paille-Cunningham-Ferlin. If we can build the 4th line from within that would be ideal so we can maximize our assets to make at least one substantial move before the deadline.

Ratty

Feb 2, 2003
Rive Gauche
Visit site

Cross is working on his law degree now. So Caron is safe for at least three years. :) :)

PB37

Mr Selke
Oct 1, 2002
Maine
Love Ferlin. Glad the kid is getting his shot.

Size, speed, and some scoring pop. Kid has 2nd/3rd line potential IMO.

Gee Wally

Old, Grumpy Moderator
Sponsor
Feb 27, 2002
HF retirement home
from Mick:

Cassidy considers NHL recall Brian Ferlin most-improved P-Bruin
His numbers are not daunting, but midseason Providence Bruins head coach Bruce Cassidy began calling the right winger his most-improved player in-season.

“In the big picture, you want a guy playing well on the walls, attacking the net, getting his chances. His game, his details are better, his puck possession’s better. Hopefully he starts burying a few of his chances. I think it’s inevitable if he keeps getting them,†Cassidy told Rink Rap after Providence’s win over Manchester on Feb. 6. “He’s a big man. When he protects the puck and uses his body, you’re not going to get it from him. He’s strong on his skates. The right time to spin off, to attack the net, his decisions with it, they’re better. He doesn’t expose it as much.â€

Cassidy moved Ferlin to a line with fellow north-south forwards Justin Florek and Matt Lindblad, and his rookie-pro season found traction.

http://blogs.southcoasttoday.com/bruins/2015/02/19/bruins-recall-ferlin/

Fire Sweeney

Jun 16, 2009
Bergen
That situation should be straightened out in a day or so. Carrying three goalies is not a long term issue. After Subban has his fling, he'll either be traded or returned to Rhode Island.

It still does not make much sense. Not one NHL GM will trade or refuse to trade for Subban because of one game in the NHL.

Blowfish

Count down ...
Jan 13, 2005
Southwestern Ontario
from Mick:

Cassidy considers NHL recall Brian Ferlin most-improved P-Bruin
His numbers are not daunting, but midseason Providence Bruins head coach Bruce Cassidy began calling the right winger his most-improved player in-season.

“In the big picture, you want a guy playing well on the walls, attacking the net, getting his chances. His game, his details are better, his puck possession’s better. Hopefully he starts burying a few of his chances. I think it’s inevitable if he keeps getting them,†Cassidy told Rink Rap after Providence’s win over Manchester on Feb. 6. “He’s a big man. When he protects the puck and uses his body, you’re not going to get it from him. He’s strong on his skates. The right time to spin off, to attack the net, his decisions with it, they’re better. He doesn’t expose it as much.â€

Cassidy moved Ferlin to a line with fellow north-south forwards Justin Florek and Matt Lindblad, and his rookie-pro season found traction.

http://blogs.southcoasttoday.com/bruins/2015/02/19/bruins-recall-ferlin/

More from article...
Ferlin had been skating earlier on lines centered by Ryan Spooner first and then Alexander Khokhlachev. “The creative part of their game is what carries them, whereas the others are straight-line (players). I think (Ferlin) is better suited — now — to that. Learn the program that way. It’s made him a better player, it made the line a really good line, a dependable line,†said Cassidy. “Later on, if he’s a guy that’s better suited with those creative guys, he can still keep his game in check because that’s what happens. You’re a young guy, you see these guys all over the place and you say, ‘Well I guess I’ve got to be all over the place.’ That’s not going to be his game. He’s a strong, power forward. No matter who he plays with, that’s how he’s going to have to play.†Think of an aspiring Mike Knuble. As the 26-19-6-1 P-Bruins scrape for a Calder Cup playoff spot (they enter the weekend ranked seventh in the Eastern Conference), Ferlin has become a factor in their season, mainly because of improved quickness not only from a decision-making standpoint but physically as well. He takes tighter turns when holding the puck in the offensive corners, is stronger on the puck and simpler in his play-making approach. - See more at: http://blogs.southcoasttoday.com/bruins/2015/02/19/bruins-recall-ferlin/#sthash.VPbvugHp.dpuf

:handclap:

Alicat

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jul 26, 2005
Boston
I missed the game last night...how did he look?
He was great along the boards and picked Goc's pocket behind the net to create a scoring opportunity. He and Caron had some chemistry.

I'd like to see those two and Cunningham play together.

Dellstrom

Pastrnasty
May 1, 2011
Boston
I really liked him as a prospect in college. Could turn out to be something good, he looked great last night through loads of nerves, I'm sure.

For most players the first few NHL games are about going through the motions and seeing what the pace is like. He didn't look out of place at all.

Blowfish

Count down ...
Jan 13, 2005
Southwestern Ontario
I really liked him as a prospect in college. Could turn out to be something good, he looked great last night through loads of nerves, I'm sure.

For most players the first few NHL games are about going through the motions and seeing what the pace is like. He didn't look out of place at all.

Is he top line(s) worthy?:)

jack22

Sep 25, 2007
WTF !

The play behind the net was sweet to set up Campbell's goal

But what about his 7:30 TOI (as per nhl.com) and he got 8 hits???

Musta been pretty noticeable out there!

Mr. Make-Believe

The happy genius of my household
WTF !

The play behind the net was sweet to set up Campbell's goal

But what about his 7:30 TOI (as per nhl.com) and he got 8 hits???

Musta been pretty noticeable out there!

That stat strikes me as being inflated.

But for the small amount of time he played, he was noticeable all right. Pretty decent wheels, great frame. Lots of effort and good board presence.

This was the first game I've seen him play and I was impressed. A long way to go of course, but nothing about his game disappointed me.

Pia8988

May 26, 2014
Really good play by him so far, hope he keeps it up. If he does could easily see him as the 3rd line RW going into next year.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad