Post-Game Talk: Bruins @ Rangers - Feb 4

True Blue

Feb 27, 2002
Visit site
Speed>Size in the new NHL.
Let's hold off on that until you see that actually happen. Let's not let view this with blue shaded glasses. The Rangers record and play against bigger teams has not been stellar. There has not been an all speed team with no size that has won the Cup.
Sorry, but everyone is biased towards Boston, thinking they're still a super power and any team that beats them is lucky. Boston may very well be a great team, but not how they were a few years ago. We didn't squeak by. Talbot was fine, but if Hank plays Boston might not even score. We thoroughly outplayed Boston and it's dubbed squeaking by? Give me a break.
And what was your analysis the last time the played Boston? Or the time before that? Or the time before that?
We more squeaked by the Senators and Panthers than we did tonight.
Don't want to rain on your parade ,but one game does not a world beater make.

On the actual game however, it was a very good game by the Rangers. Despite MCD's continued mediocre play and the lackadaisical play of Boyle, it was a very good defensive effort.

Miamipuck

Al Swearengen
Dec 29, 2009
Take a Wild Guess
Start with the bad:

I had to watch from my phone, I broke my TV when Glass was on the ice for that goal. All my friends, especially the ones that know nothing about hockey, know who the worst player in the NHL is.

How can anyone (hear that AV?) think it's ok to play that slug? He brings down any line he is on. I honestly believe the Lucic should be credited with a power play goal as it was a 5-4 goal.

The Good pretty much all the rest.

Talbot didn't really need to make many big saves, the team was very sharp in front of him with the exception of that 5 minutes of a Glass fart in the 1st. When he was needed he was excellent.

Hayes, Kreider, Fast, Zucc, Stepan, Nash, Hagelin and Brass stood out to me as guys that were taking hits to make a play and forechecking like crazy. They were frustrating the Bruins all night.

It really was fun to watch how the Rangers speed neutralized Boston's physicality rather than the reverse happening.

I am definitely one of those that appreciate Fast's play. I can not say enough good things about that kid. If he can start to develop offense or take advantage of his high hockey IQ, he will become damn good.

John Moore in particular had a good game and deserves more time, Staal, Girardi, McD, Boyle and Klein all played well the few missteps aside (Boyle).

Oh I am definitely knifing the volume down next time we have to listen to an NBC broadcast, even though Hastings MN and Shattuck St. Mary's love Stepan.

NCRanger

Bettman's Enemy
Feb 4, 2007
Charlotte, NC
NBC guys just like to follow the herd. Look at all those weekend games against the Pengies.
Sports journalism, at least in the form of play by play and commentary, is so often affected by personal bias. Integrity is not de rigueur.

I actually laugh at these guys, because they look so stupid when they slant everything.

Here's the problem with bias.

If something keeps getting harped on, or ignored, the same way by multiple people, it eventually becomes the "truth".

The way NBC's commentators treat the Rangers is something that might be laughable in the fact that the Rangers are able to continue winning in the face of the bias. However, when the bias mainfests itself with other supposedly neutral commentators, writers, and credentialed media having a slanted take due to the continued bias during the season, we have what we had during last year's Finals.

We had Canadian media outright admitting that they were rooting for the Kings.

The XM hockey channel ran the Finals shows from a completely Kings-centric point of view.

The American media crowned the Kings champions before the series even started.

I also have no doubt that the bias seeped into the officials calling the games, in the fact that EVERY questionable call went the Kings way; even to the point of making up icings.

In my 43 years at the time, I had never seen a playoff series where two teams were fairly evenly matched where everyone was just waiting for the one team to win, rather than enjoy the games being played.

I'm NOT saying the fix was in for the Kings.

What I am saying is the media bias AGAINST the Rangers caused last year's Final to become a Kings coronation party, rather than a true Stanley Cup Final.

Amazing Kreiderman

Apr 11, 2011
Great game overall, but they really need to do something about faceoffs. 30% is not an acceptable number.

Well, take into account, the face off numbers of the Bruins centers. They have the best center core when it comes to face offs.

Bergeron has 59%
Krejci has 52,9%
Soderberg has 49,6%
Kelly has 48,8%

Compare that to us:

Stepan has 43,2%
Brassard has 49%
Hayes has 35,2%
Moore has 54,7%

It's not something we can fix by 1 or 2 trades. It takes time. Either Brassard and Stepan start to learn how to win face offs, or we just accept the fact they contribute in other aspects of the game.

Glen Sathers Cigar

Sather 4 Ever
Feb 4, 2013
New York
Let's hold off on that until you see that actually happen. Let's not let view this with blue shaded glasses. The Rangers record and play against bigger teams has not been stellar. There has not been an all speed team with no size that has won the Cup.

And what was your analysis the last time the played Boston? Or the time before that? Or the time before that?

Don't want to rain on your parade ,but one game does not a world beater make.

On the actual game however, it was a very good game by the Rangers. Despite MCD's continued mediocre play and the lackadaisical play of Boyle, it was a very good defensive effort.

Chicago winning cups, Rangers and Habs and Ducks being contenders and the emergence of the TBL and NYI bode well for speed being the way of the future in the NHL. Sorry.

My analysis of the last time we played Boston was we played poorly and lost, how is that relevant to this game?

You're not raining on my parade because you're taking my comments out of context. I'm not under the impression that the Rangers are world beater by any stretch. I was simply saying for NBC/NHL.com to say we "squeaked by" the Bruins is factually wrong except for the fact that it was a one goal game.

Glen Sathers Cigar

Sather 4 Ever
Feb 4, 2013
New York

If something keeps getting harped on, or ignored, the same way by multiple people, it eventually becomes the "truth".

The way NBC's commentators treat the Rangers is something that might be laughable in the fact that the Rangers are able to continue winning in the face of the bias. However, when the bias mainfests itself with other supposedly neutral commentators, writers, and credentialed media having a slanted take due to the continued bias during the season, we have what we had during last year's Finals.

The XM hockey channel ran the Finals shows from a completely Kings-centric point of view.

I also have no doubt that the bias seeped into the officials calling the games, in the fact that EVERY questionable call went the Kings way; even to the point of making up icings.

In my 43 years at the time, I had never seen a playoff series where two teams were fairly evenly matched where everyone was just waiting for the one team to win, rather than enjoy the games being played.

What I am saying is the media bias AGAINST the Rangers caused last year's Final to become a Kings coronation party, rather than a true Stanley Cup Final.

Great post

Also look at what they've done to Kreider's reputation. He went from a solid hard working guy to one of the dirtiest players in the NHL because he was tripped into Price who was unfortunately injured. The media has directly influenced people's opinions on Kreider to the point where they think it's fact that he'd a goalie killer and that's all he does. Look no further than this site. His rep is 100% media driven.

Jan 8, 2012
NY
Great post

Also look at what they've done to Kreider's reputation. He went from a solid hard working guy to one of the dirtiest players in the NHL because he was tripped into Price who was unfortunately injured. The media has directly influenced people's opinions on Kreider to the point where they think it's fact that he'd a goalie killer and that's all he does. Look no further than this site. His rep is 100% media driven.

This. Now every time Kreids is driving the net, people are expecting him to just ram into the goalie. And I'm sure the refs are too. The media completely ignored Emelin's blatant trip and just bashed Kreider.

If Kreider is tripped by Yandle and that happens to Mike Smith in a regular season game, same injury and all, nobody even mentions it.

And great post NCRanger. The media really never gave the Rangers a fair assessment. Even going back to 2011-2012, the Rangers were at the top of the league from January on, and the power rankings never had them in first, the media was never picking them to go anywhere in the playoffs. Hell, Ottawa was even picked over the Rangers for the first round. 1 vs. 8.

nevesis

Sponsor
Jan 3, 2008
NY
I had to miss the game last night, but DVR'd it. I re-watched all the goals, but does anyone know when in the game Girardi leveled Marchand? Did it happen in the 3rd? I want to see his rat face get laid out.

Levitate

Jul 29, 2004
Chicago winning cups, Rangers and Habs and Ducks being contenders and the emergence of the TBL and NYI bode well for speed being the way of the future in the NHL. Sorry.

My analysis of the last time we played Boston was we played poorly and lost, how is that relevant to this game?

You're not raining on my parade because you're taking my comments out of context. I'm not under the impression that the Rangers are world beater by any stretch. I was simply saying for NBC/NHL.com to say we "squeaked by" the Bruins is factually wrong except for the fact that it was a one goal game.

Yeah honestly the NHL has been going towards speed and skating for a long time and away from size as a general concept, but you have a few teams that are still able to put out large lineups that have enough skating ability to make it work. I think the Bruins are struggling a bit with it at this point though and are on a decline without getting a bit of a revamp. But a team like LA has size and speed (or at least used to), the Blues have it as well, etc. Size by itself really isn't enough in the NHL these days, and just acquiring players purely based on size will tank your team. The perfect mix is of course a big guy who is very skilled, uses his size, and skates very well, but I'll take a Zuccarello over bigger, slower, lesser skilled player any day of the week.

Great post

I feel at least that the NHL front office hasn't really cracked and labeled Kreider a dirty player. They've been pretty good at looking at the incidents he has been involved in and no punishing instances that are clearly not worth a punishment. He's still getting the benefit of a doubt in that arena.

Jan 8, 2012
NY
I had to miss the game last night, but DVR'd it. I re-watched all the goals, but does anyone know when in the game Girardi leveled Marchand? Did it happen in the 3rd? I want to see his rat face get laid out.

It happened twice - once in the early first period in the NZ, and then towards the end of the third (probably after the 10 min mark but I'm not sure).

First one was great, 2nd one could have been interference, but since it's Marchand IDGAF. Retribution for that disgusting slewfoot on Brassgod.

nevesis

Sponsor
Jan 3, 2008
NY
It happened twice - once in the early first period in the NZ, and then towards the end of the third (probably after the 10 min mark but I'm not sure).

First one was great, 2nd one could have been interference, but since it's Marchand IDGAF. Retribution for that disgusting slewfoot on Brassgod.

Yeah, I saw the first hit, but I read on twitter that the second one had Marchand in pain (shoulder). I'll check it out later. Thanks!

True Blue

Feb 27, 2002
Visit site
Chicago's teams are not as small as the Rangers. The one that won the first Cup did not play a small game. Nor did the second and the talent level of that team was unparalleled. The Rangers and Habs are contenders, sure. But they have not won anything. And the Ducks have one of the biggest teams around. TB and the Isled also combine speed with size. The Rangers do not measure up to those teams size wise. Speed is one thing. But it has not solely resulted in winning Cups.

Vickers8

B's had alot of trouble countering our speed with their cheapshots

Raspewtin

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
May 30, 2013

There were two times. One really early in the game, and one about 8 minutes into the 3rd period, which was where he got hurt.

Raspewtin

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
May 30, 2013
Chicago's teams are not as small as the Rangers. The one that won the first Cup did not play a small game. Nor did the second and the talent level of that team was unparalleled. The Rangers and Habs are contenders, sure. But they have not won anything. And the Ducks have one of the biggest teams around. TB and the Isled also combine speed with size. The Rangers do not measure up to those teams size wise. Speed is one thing. But it has not solely resulted in winning Cups.

Tampa Bay being big are such a fallacy. Their top 9 has nobody bigger than 6' 1" except Alex Killorn.

Raspewtin

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
May 30, 2013
Glass' line were the only negative possession forwards. Well, color me shocked.

Levitate

Jul 29, 2004
Glass' line were the only negative possession forwards. Well, color me shocked.

They had some good shifts in the offensive zone but it's like they had no idea where to be in the defensive zone. I don't want to pin everything on Glass but...he always seems to be out of position defensively so I wouldn't be surprised if that is part of it

Machinehead

GoAwayTrouba
Jan 21, 2011
NYC
But on NHL Network they said we couldn't beat good teams.

oh_lol_gif.gif

McDonagh

Slow it down 30GHz
Mar 8, 2009

Wasn't there even a stat where the Kings were something crazy like 9-1 when a certain group of referees called the game and the Rangers 0 for something? or was that the Montreal series? I can't remember the exact numbers maybe my memory exaggerated it a bit but it was definitely bad.

Unpredictable1

Jan 27, 2008
Alberta
It was so great to win especially when Milbury went well out of his way to say we didn't deserve to be up by one, despite out shooting and out hustling the opposition. The fact that we apparently were only ahead because of luck....when the "lucky" bounce happened a couple plays before it ended up on Brass's stick in the slot.

Wow he's a piece of work.

Amazing Kreiderman

Apr 11, 2011
It was so great to win especially when Milbury went well out of his way to say we didn't deserve to be up by one, despite out shooting and out hustling the opposition. The fact that we apparently were only ahead because of luck....when the "lucky" bounce happened a couple plays before it ended up on Brass's stick in the slot.

Wow he's a piece of work.

I had a good laugh when they played "I Predict a Riot" by Kaiser Chiefs during the game at MSG. Whenever the Bruins and Rangers play at MSG and the game is on NBC with that nutcase in the studio, they should play that song haha

mrhockey193195

Nov 14, 2006
Denver, CO
I missed the third period, but in the first two John Moore played really well...again. That's a solid four or five game stretch where he's been excellent. I'm one of his biggest critics, so this is wonderful to see. I really hope he's taking a big step in his development.

Raspewtin

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
May 30, 2013
John Moore, +13 CF
Dan Boyle, +12 CF
Ryan McDonagh, +11 CF
Dan Girardi, +10 CF

That's what you need from your defense.

aufheben

#Norris4Fox
Jan 31, 2013
New Jersey
Size? Did we not just beat the Bruins and sweep California? The teams the Rangers have problems with are the ones that play our game (speed) better than us (Isles/TBL).

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad