Prospect Info: Bruins Prospects XVIII - Stay on subject!

Status
Not open for further replies.

rocketdan9

Feb 5, 2009
It's a pretty typical Craig Button list. Bizarre. He had Wyatt Johnston as a third round pick going into the draft last year and now he's the 9th best prospect in the game? He's obviously having a great year but he has him at NINE. Ahead of Marco Rossi. And Brandt Clarke (whom he rated 2 going into the draft and has had a strong year.) He's higher than Eklund, Holtz, Luke Hughes. I have a feeling this list is going to be a bit of an outlier.

Also - another note on Wyatt Johnston. Let's not do what I see happening in this thread. Let's not act like we were all disappointed that the Bruins didn't pick Johnston with their first round pick. NO ONE had him rated that high. He's blown up this year but people were a bit surprised at Dallas picking him at 23. I've seen this happen a couple of times when discussing Lysell recently. He was the scratch player at that point who has had a really strong draft + 1 season. That another guy behind him has improved should not be an indictment or a reason to revise history.

I would have been fine with Johnston as the pick

But still dont think he has the ceiling of Lysell

Reactions: Gordoff

Beesfan

Apr 10, 2006
It's a pretty typical Craig Button list. Bizarre. He had Wyatt Johnston as a third round pick going into the draft last year and now he's the 9th best prospect in the game? He's obviously having a great year but he has him at NINE. Ahead of Marco Rossi. And Brandt Clarke (whom he rated 2 going into the draft and has had a strong year.) He's higher than Eklund, Holtz, Luke Hughes. I have a feeling this list is going to be a bit of an outlier.

Also - another note on Wyatt Johnston. Let's not do what I see happening in this thread. Let's not act like we were all disappointed that the Bruins didn't pick Johnston with their first round pick. NO ONE had him rated that high. He's blown up this year but people were a bit surprised at Dallas picking him at 23. I've seen this happen a couple of times when discussing Lysell recently. He was the scratch player at that point who has had a really strong draft + 1 season. That another guy behind him has improved should not be an indictment or a reason to revise history.

I don't think the Johnston miss (if we can call it that yet) was nearly as bad as the Robert Thomas/Josh Norris miss, where those two players were mostly rated above Vaakanainen and filled a clear organizational need.

That said, I don't entirely agree with you. Dallas obviously had Johnston that high. Perhaps other organizations did too. That is why teams have professional scouting departments. Dallas' scouts were right, where the pundits and the amateurs were wrong. So it isn't that it was impossible to see that Johnston would be very good, your team just needs great scouts.

Reactions: Gordoff

rocketdan9

Feb 5, 2009
I don't think the Johnston miss (if we can call it that yet) was nearly as bad as the Robert Thomas/Josh Norris miss, where those two players were mostly rated above Vaakanainen and filled a clear organizational need.

That said, I don't entirely agree with you. Dallas obviously had Johnston that high. Perhaps other organizations did too. That is why teams have professional scouting departments. Dallas' scouts were right, where the pundits and the amateurs were wrong. So it isn't that it was impossible to see that Johnston would be very good, your team just needs great scouts.
Bruins like their big athletic centers

Thomas and Norris are both 6'0

But it was an overlook

However, not easy to tell that either Thomas nor Norris were going to be this impactful. Many teams(picking early) missed on both players. Thomas is pretty built now, fast and skilled. (His OHL stats of only a point per game avg wasnt eye popping). Norris has very good hands, creativity and instincts. Has battled some injuries.

If DS and Cassidy stay put/extended. Not sure they will deviate from their likes of big athletic centers (even if not 1st round skilled).

The National

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 27, 2017
Los Angeles
Bruins like their big athletic centers

Thomas and Norris are both 6'0

But it was an overlook

However, not easy to tell that either Thomas nor Norris were going to be this impactful. Many teams(picking early) missed on both players. Thomas is pretty built now, fast and skilled. (His OHL stats of only a point per game avg wasnt eye popping). Norris has very good hands, creativity and instincts. Has battled some injuries.

If DS and Cassidy stay put/extended. Not sure they will deviate from their likes of big athletic centers (even if not 1st round skilled).
Donny has drafted 2 centers 6’0 or under in his 6 years as GM. 3 counting Kuntar but playing LW.

Round 1
6’2 Frederic
6’3 Beecher

Round 3
6’0 Kuntar
6’2 Harrison

Round 4
6’3 Hall

Round 6
5’11 Hughes
6’2 Pare
5’11 Mantykivi
6’1 Duran

Round 7
6’3 Becker
6’1 Shen
6’1 Schmaltz
6’4 Gasseau

Reactions: Saxon Eric

burstnbloom

Mar 10, 2006

That's not really what I'm saying. I'm saying those of us who only consume amateur viewings of these players and the reports of the pundits when doing pre-draft evaluations don't have the right to be revisionist about the pick at the time. He wasn't on anyone's radar. NHL team scouting departments are not who I'm talking about. Pundits laughed at Mo Seider. They laughed at Mark Schieffle. Pundits are often wrong (see button,craig). All I was saying is there appears to be a groundswell in this thread of lament for not taking Johnston when he would have been considered a reach at the time, as he was when dallas selected him. At D+1, it appears Dallas may have been smarter than the draft evaluation media given the weird circumstances of last years draft. That doesn't mean posters or media are being genuine when they say they wanted him at that time. I was reading all these threads last year. Except for the occasional outlier, that was not the narrative around the pick last year.

Reactions: Beesfan

Meusoc

Dec 15, 2014
Kind of hoping Vancouver does not make the playoffs.... bring back Lysell quicker.
If he can't score in Juniors, why do you think he'll be able to score in the NHL? He's 19 years old, not 16. The leading scorer in the WHL has three times as many goals as Lysell and there are a dozen 16-year-olds who have more points than him. He isn't ready for the NHL.

Last edited:

rocketdan9

Feb 5, 2009
If he can't score in Juniors, why do you think he'll be able to score in the NHL? He's 19 years old, not 16. The leading scorer in the WHL has three times as many goals as Lysell and there are a dozen 16-year-olds who have more points than him. He isn't ready for the NHL.

huh?

He is playing on a team without much high end talent

What would you like him to do? dance around 5 players on his own? (btw.... there has been a few goals/plays he actually had to do that)

JoeIsAStud

Feb 27, 2002
Visit site

He is also far in the way the best player on his team, and leads his team in points by 16, despite playing 9 games fewer than the second leading point man

Ostapchuk who was a high second round pick last year, and is basically the same age as lysell has 19 fewer points in 7 more games.

BruinsFanSince94

The Perfect Fan ™
Sep 28, 2017
New England

Why can’t he score in juniors?

ODAAT

Oct 17, 2006
Victoria BC

been over this before but why the hell not again, the Giants literally have 2 forwards opponents need to be aware of, Lysell and Ostapchuk, the fact that Lysell, being a guy opponents focus on, has put together better than a PPG pace getting the majority of attention from opponents best defensive players in impressive

If you were to ask me what kind of numbers do I envision him potentially putting up in the NHL I wouldn`t have a clue, depends totally on who he plays with, opportunities he`ll either get (PP) or not get. He and Ostapchuk and goalie Vikman , are the only reason the Giants might sniff the playoffs. If I were a betting man, I could see him being a 20-30 goal man in the NHL, don`t think that`s unreasonable down the road with the right linemates but I`m not so sure he`s 100% ready for NHL play yet, like to see him still put on a few lbs

The comments above come from someone who has watched this kid live and trust me, win or loss, he has always been the best player on the ice for either team

Saxon Eric

Dec 18, 2005
Friday Night Schedule

Fargo vs Lincoln 805pm Hockey TV

Dubuque vs Green Bay 805pm Hockey TV

Sarnia vs Saginaw 705pm

Oshawa vs Mississauga 735pm

Vancouver vs Kelowna 1030pm

Montecristo

Jul 29, 2012

The reason his production isnt overwhelmingly good is because hes on a really bad team, getting used to a different sized ice rink all while trying to assimilate in a completely different culture about 4500 miles from where he is from. Also from what ive been told his linemates and the rest of his team are basicaly pylons who cant skate shoot pass or hit. Bunch of useless pathetic losers hes stuck with on that team from what ive been told on here. For the most part anyway. So you see, his production is actually tops in the whl when you factor in all the obstacles hes had to overcome just to put up the numbers hes put up so far. Its a miracle really, and a testament to how good a pro he will be. If i had to guess if you put him on a line with the best 2 players in the world in his age group (besides him) you’d be pleasantly surprised at how many points he’d score

BruinsFanSince94

The Perfect Fan ™
Sep 28, 2017
New England
People do realize that with Lysell he had an adjustment period coming from Europe (bigger ice) to North America (smaller ice, different style of game) AND he's played 51 games, which is anywhere from 10-15 games less than a lot guys ahead of him on goals/assists/points.

Fabian Lysell: 51 Games Played --

21 Goals = 0.41 Goals/Gm
39 Assists = 0.76 Assists/Gm
60 Points = 1.18 PPG

With these numbers, in a full season, Lysell would have finished with:

27 Goals -- 51 Assists -- 78 Points

78 Points would put him 13th in the WHL. This on a team that many have said was not good and doesn't have much fire power.

Reactions: CDJ

shelbysdad

Nov 21, 2006
Red Hook, NY
The reason his production isnt overwhelmingly good is because hes on a really bad team, getting used to a different sized ice rink all while trying to assimilate in a completely different culture about 4500 miles from where he is from. Also from what ive been told his linemates and the rest of his team are basicaly pylons who cant skate shoot pass or hit. Bunch of useless pathetic losers hes stuck with on that team from what ive been told on here. For the most part anyway. So you see, his production is actually tops in the whl when you factor in all the obstacles hes had to overcome just to put up the numbers hes put up so far. Its a miracle really, and a testament to how good a pro he will be. If i had to guess if you put him on a line with the best 2 players in the world in his age group (besides him) you’d be pleasantly surprised at how many points he’d score
There are many times I read your posts and think oh man why did I waste my time.....

This is one of your better, well thought out, insightful posts and I agree with it completely
Good Post

Saxon Eric

Dec 18, 2005
Friday Night Wrap

Gasseau 1 goal (19) 5 shots 9-4 win
Langenbrunner 1 shot +2

Svedebäck DNP appears to be illness related

Mast 1 shot +3 7-1 win

Harrison 1 goal 2 assist 2 shots -2 2nd Star 4-3 loss

Lysell 1 goal 1 assist 5 shots 3-2 OT loss
They inch closer to a playoff spot
Also Lysell was awarded
Teams Rookie of the year, Plus/Minus Award and the teams 3 stars of the game coming in 2nd

And here's his goal from last night

Last edited:

4ORRBRUIN

Sep 27, 2005
boston
Friday Night Wrap

Gasseau 1 goal (19) 5 shots 9-4 win
Langenbrunner 1 shot +2

Svedebäck DNP appears to be injury related

Mast 1 shot +3 7-1 win

Harrison 1 goal 2 assist 2 shots -2 4-3 loss

Lysell 1 goal 1 assist 5 shots 3-2 OT loss
They inch closer to a playoff spot
Also Lysell was awarded
Teams Rookie of the year, Plus/Minus Award and the teams 3 stars of the game coming in 2nd

And here's his goal from last night

These kids give me hope for the future

Reactions: Saxon Eric

Saxon Eric

Dec 18, 2005
Saturday Night Schedule

Fargo vs Lincoln 705pm Hockey TV
They have 4 games left then playoffs start

Dubuque vs Green Bay 805pm Hockey TV
3 games left till playoffs

Vancouver vs Kamloops 10pm
Last game of the regular season, as of now they're in but barely