Prospect Info: Bruins Prospects XVII - Stay on subject!

Status
Not open for further replies.

DKH

The Bergeron of HF
Feb 27, 2002
Kind of sounds like he is exactly what the Bruins thought they were getting when they drafted him. I know people point to his low point production (especially for a first-rounder) but if I remember right, he was never picked or projected to be a top 6 C that could pile up points. Am I recalling correctly here?
You crushed it

Reactions: Dr Hook

Tbaybruin

Feb 2, 2016
30th overall, not much different really than a 2nd rounder in most draft years. If he becomes a solid 3c like Coyle that is a big win in my view.
Well a high second and look at all the success we had with seconds. I still think you have to hope a player has potential to be a top 6 or top 4 D.

Reactions: Gordoff

DKH

The Bergeron of HF
Feb 27, 2002
If that’s true, wow just wow. Let’s use first round picks on bottom six players.
If the GM I am building a top 6 and a bottom 6

there are traits for both

if I’m picking high 1-25 I’m going skill over grit

Beecher was 30? And was on NTDP and I watched him so I knew a lot about him - he is big - very big and very fast and was physical so I was all over him

I was so sick of this place lol saying the Bruins are soft and draft small guys I was glad they took him - and Lohrei

we got a bunch of people here who draft likes it’s basketball

I didn’t have a problem with Beecher

I had a problem with Frederic but the guy I wanted over Frederic they got in second round Lindgren

Saxon Eric

Dec 18, 2005
Monday Night Wrap

Gallagher 1 assist -1 4-3 win, quiet and safe game from Ty, they advance

Kuntar 5 shots +1 3-1 loss, thought he played well, looks good on the first line, time to turn pro?

Also Sunday Night
Harrison 1 assist 2 shots +2

burstnbloom

Mar 10, 2006

This is very encouraging data for Beecher. You can see why he doesn't rack up the points but might with better players. The zone entries with the puck on his stick bar is extremely high. He grades out like a potentially good complimentary offensive player who might rack up more points with good rush players. He clearly struggles with passing. Maybe that improves with time. It sets his ceiling a bit higher than I had thought. Maybe a Kreider ceiling (not this season's outlier Krieder, the rest of his career) and a Boone Jenner type middle outcome? I think his floor is probably a good PK fourth liner. Before seeing those numbers I kind of thought a guy like Jenner was his absolute ceiling so that's exciting.

Beesfan

Apr 10, 2006
Monday Night Wrap

Gallagher 1 assist -1 4-3 win, quiet and safe game from Ty, they advance

Kuntar 5 shots +1 3-1 loss, thought he played well, looks good on the first line, time to turn pro?

Also Sunday Night
Harrison 1 assist 2 shots +2

No way is it time for Kuntar to turn pro. He's a 3-4 year guy at BC in my opinion.

I saw the game, and while Kuntar has some offensive instincts, he does not do a lot in a three zones. Needs to move his feet more and hunt the puck.

Dr Hook

It’s Called Ruins
Sponsor
Mar 9, 2005
Tyler, TX
Well a high second and look at all the success we had with seconds. I still think you have to hope a player has potential to be a top 6 or top 4 D.

Maybe he'll surprise us- no one picked after him is really tearing it up, at least to this point.

Reactions: Tbaybruin

BruinsNetwork

Jan 8, 2021

Look at Championship rosters in the NHL over the last decade and you'll see they had strong bottom-six performers who can play in all situations, go out there and grind down their opponents. You absolutely need guys like that and in my opinion, with my draft philosophy, taking someone who can foot the bill on that at No. 30 OA is completely fine.

It's unrealistic to build the top-half of your roster when selecting towards the end of the first round and matter of fact it's a statistical anomaly.

I look at the Beecher pick in the same light that I look at the Coyle trade. Bruins traded Ryan Donato, an offensive catalyst with upside, for a third-line, middle-six center in Coyle who drives possession and is clearly a glue guy to the locker room to boot. The Bruins did something similar here, IMO, when it comes to taking Beecher over Kaliyev or Hoglander. At the top of their game, those two project to be solid point producers and a potential high-end scorer in Kaliyev.

But what do they offer your team when the puck isn't on their stick, checking is tight (playoffs) and you need to survive the last 10 minutes of a third-period with the game on the line? Probably not as much of a Beecher type.

Though this does speak to the larger issue of some of us (not saying you) not placing proper value into metrics aside from points. Points are a weird thing anyways because a secondary assist and primary assist, depending on how it's generated, isn't nearly as impressive or valuable as a straight up goal is. So if Beecher had 12 more secondary assists this year, we would all be arbitrarily looking at the production and saying "Wow, he's doing SO well" even though that might not even be the case.

Those points could have come because he was just letting his line do the heavy lifting and moving the puck quickly to them in his own zone before they go off to the races by themselves, you know?

Transition, zone-entry and possession metrics are more valuable in my eyes than stat checking for how many points someone in Beecher's situation is racking up as he was never going to be a big-time point producer from day one.

BruinsNetwork

Jan 8, 2021
If people think Carlo plays small for his size (I don't), wait until they see Lohrei.

Apples to oranges. Brandon Carlo is a shut-down type defender capable of skating well and driving the puck with his feet, he just doesn't have the high-end puck skills to make a difference with the puck on his blade, so his sizing thing gets brought up more often because people see someone 6'5" and immediately crave violence.

Lohrei's high-end abilities with the puck on his blade, vision and confidence, paired with his size, has a much bigger impact than him "playing big" and crushing people or whatever it is people want to see out of 6'4" players. Lohrei is nearly impossible to contain when setup with the puck on his stick and that's certainly due to his physical frame and size. He just uses it to leverage different opportunities on the ice that other big players simply can't, so the need to be crushing guys left and right is diminished.

Lohrei will need to be stronger and sometimes more aggressive on the defensive side of things, but don't get me wrong, he still won't hesitate to cross the line and throw a questionable hit or take the puck. The difference is because of his unique skills he's afforded the luxury of playing and utilizing his size in his own ways.

JoeIsAStud

Feb 27, 2002
Visit site
When drafting a player, no one knows what he will be. You look at what they are at that time, what they could become if everything goes well, and honestly what they become if they don't have a sudden jump forward in skills.

Beecher really wasn't my guy, although I was 95% sure before the draft started that he was the bruins pick. He was a guy who there were some reasons to believe he had more offense than he had shown to that point, and if his offense developed had a chance to be a solid NHL 2nd line Center. On the other hand he had already displayed skating, faceoff skill and defensive ability that made it very likely he could be a solid 3rd line center, and even possibly elite 3rd line type

Reactions: CDJ and Saxon Eric

mikelvl

Aug 6, 2009
Newton, MA
Isn't it the oposite ?
Sheny had O, needed to teach him D and 200 ft game.

Good point. I was thinking of the old, didn't get the ice time playing behind guys, so there is untapped potential. Similar to when they drafted Senyshyn, who was in a bottom six role I believe.

Saxon Eric

Dec 18, 2005
Tuesday Night Schedule

Minnesota Duluth with Quinn Olson play St Cloud State at 8pm

That is all

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad