Prospect Info: Bruins Prospects XV - Stay on subject!

Status
Not open for further replies.

BruinDust

Aug 2, 2005
This comment boils my blood.....

"Then there was a pick that one of our scouts really thought wouldn’t be available in the second round," Neely said.

So? So ^&%^^& what? So you take him at 15? So they didn't like any other players in the left in the draft, only Zach &&^& Senyshyn?

BruinDust

Aug 2, 2005
And the trade of the 5th to Minnesota I don't get either.

Like why? To do Minny a favour? So when their GM calls Sweeney and asks for his 5th rounder, my immediate reaction would be "why? Who are you taking?"

So let's say the Minny GM says Kaprizov. If the Bruins are truly not interested (which they likely weren't because they steer clear of most Russians), then at the very least get a pick in a higher round the following year. Minny wants the 2015 5th, than I want at minimum their 2016 4th.

All Sweeney did was help another team get better.

BruinsNetwork

Jan 8, 2021
And the trade of the 5th to Minnesota I don't get either.

Like why? To do Minny a favour? So when their GM calls Sweeney and asks for his 5th rounder, my immediate reaction would be "why? Who are you taking?"

So let's say the Minny GM says Kaprizov. If the Bruins are truly not interested (which they likely weren't because they steer clear of most Russians), then at the very least get a pick in a higher round the following year. Minny wants the 2015 5th, than I want at minimum their 2016 4th.

All Sweeney did was help another team get better.

It would have had nothing to do with Kaprizov being Russian or not in this case, though.

The only reason why Kaprizov is on the Wild is because of pure happenstance, mostly. There was a chain of wildfires in Russia that derailed a scouting trip for one of Minnesota’s guys. He then stopped by a local rink to check out some hockey in the meantime while he had no where else to be and that’s where Kaprizov was. Not many knew anything about him, including Minnesota.

Late-round pucks get swapped year after year after year in this league for whatever reason. It’s only an afterthought now because Kaprizov turned out to be a needle in a very, very large haystack.

You can get on this team for many decisions, but I still don’t see how this is anything other than happenstance and luck.

BruinDust

Aug 2, 2005
It would have had nothing to do with Kaprizov being Russian or not in this case, though.

The only reason why Kaprizov is on the Wild is because of pure happenstance, mostly. There was a chain of wildfires in Russia that derailed a scouting trip for one of Minnesota’s guys. He then stopped by a local rink to check out some hockey in the meantime while he had no where else to be and that’s where Kaprizov was. Not many knew anything about him, including Minnesota.

Late-round pucks get swapped year after year after year in this league for whatever reason. It’s only an afterthought now because Kaprizov turned out to be a needle in a very, very large haystack.

You can get on this team for many decisions, but I still don’t see how this is anything other than happenstance and luck.

I look at the Kaprizov pick like I do Jamie Benn (another player selected with a Bruins pick). I don't have an issue with that. Shit happens.

My issue is when a team calls for your late round pick, I'm cool with cutting a deal. I just want something in return, i.e. I get to move up a round in next years' draft in exchange for helping you out now.

I get sometimes they do this just to build solid relationships with their fellow GMs so as to maybe help cut a bigger better deal down the road. So that part makes sense to me.

I'd just like to see them get something in exchange for trading away picks for picks in future years. Even moving up 20-30 slots is better than zilch.

All that being said, I'm nitpicking here.

BruinsNetwork

Jan 8, 2021
I look at the Kaprizov pick like I do Jamie Benn (another player selected with a Bruins pick). I don't have an issue with that. Shit happens.

My issue is when a team calls for your late round pick, I'm cool with cutting a deal. I just want something in return, i.e. I get to move up a round in next years' draft in exchange for helping you out now.

I get sometimes they do this just to build solid relationships with their fellow GMs so as to maybe help cut a bigger better deal down the road. So that part makes sense to me.

I'd just like to see them get something in exchange for trading away picks for picks in future years. Even moving up 20-30 slots is better than zilch.

All that being said, I'm nitpicking here.

Who knows, maybe that trade was what swayed Minnesota in the direction of moving Coyle to the Bruins before that 2019 run. Same regiment or not, fostering relationships will have people looking in your direction at some point.

Reactions: BruinDust

BruinDust

Aug 2, 2005
Who knows, maybe that trade was what swayed Minnesota in the direction of moving Coyle to the Bruins before that 2019 run. Same regiment or not, fostering relationships will have people looking in your direction at some point.

I'd say the positive relationship (or lack thereof) between two GMs ends up being the final straw when choosing which package of assets to accept in a trade for a player. Like they see two trade offers as equal, so they go with the GM they have the best relationship with. Or when they have a player up for trade that isn't a big asset and they just want to make a small deal, they call the GMs they know the best.

I remember back in 2015 when Montreal got Petry out of Edmonton for a 2nd rounder how MacTavish was on the air later that day and basically said Bergevin was the GM who pestered him about Petry all season long. So when the time come to move Petry at the deadline and Edmonton had multiple offers of 2nd round picks from various teams, he went with the offer from the GM who had been calling him for months to get the player.

Reactions: Gordoff

since76

Jul 14, 2005
Quebec

member 96824

Maybe, but they were different GMs. Sweeney made the 2015 pick deal with Chuck Fletcher and the Coyle trade with Paul Fenton. I have no idea what staff remained between the two.

Memokerobi

May 4, 2018
Mark Divver of NEHJ reported that teams are sniffing around Samuel Asselin and that the Bs have little time to tie him up. He had an outstanding scoring season in the ECHL and was 8-8-16 in 25 games for Providence. A 5'10" 22 yr old C, don't know whether the org. is interested him long term.

They should keep him, he has produced at every level he played

RussellmaniaKW

Sep 15, 2004

good to see you around here a little more. You always have great things to add to any conversation and have thick enough skin to not just quit the board if people don't agree. I genuinely hope you'll be posting more.

BruinDust

Aug 2, 2005
The thing I don't get about the Neely comment........they say every team basically has a list right? Their own list from their own scouts. I would assume that's how it works.

So my question is this......off the remaining players at #15, was Zach Senyshyn the best player/highest ranked player on their list or not?

Because if he was, then I guess that is who you take, right? And you live or die with the pick. He's the highest remaining guy on your board compiled by your scouts. If so, I can understand it, if that is in fact how it works.

But Neely's comment about him possibly not being around in the 2nd round is perplexing. Was there other prospects they had ranked higher than Senyshyn? If so, why wouldn't you take them. I don't even understand the thought process here. Did they not have a list? Were they that unprepared.

BruinsNetwork

Jan 8, 2021
Of all the picks made by Boston is recent years, I never expected that Johnny Beecher would be met with as much resistance as he has. Not only is he a brilliant skater (one of the best in that drafts IMO), but he was drafted at 6’3” and 210lbs…figured he’d be coveted by most fans.

Having watched almost all of those games from that historical USNTDP U18 squad, I always saw Beecher as a first-round talent. He’s never been the goal-scoring type, no, but he’s a possession-oriented player who drives play through his feet, with the puck on his blade.

Beecher plays on the edge, is lightning fast, incredibly agile and most defensemen, even in the NCAA, have to respect his natural abilities and afford him some space so they don’t get burned. He was also behind Jack Hughes, Trevor Zegras and Alex Turcotte, so like, even if one of those guys weren’t there he’d have been a middle-six regular, producing even more than he did.

Before the draft, I believe I said Kaliyev was my “dream” at No. 30, because he wasn’t expected to be anywhere near there, and I still said I’d like Beecher in that slot, too. Still think he was a good pick and definitely one that this organization needed and will need.

His hands and ability to stick-handle in and out of situations is really fun to watch. He’s very Coyle-esque is that regard, though the difference is that he’s got a much bigger, more aggressive attitude than Coyle has.

Anyways, always found that one weird having watched him plenty that year.

veganbruin

Sep 20, 2013
Boston, MA
Of all the picks made by Boston is recent years, I never expected that Johnny Beecher would be met with as much resistance as he has. Not only is he a brilliant skater (one of the best in that drafts IMO), but he was drafted at 6’3” and 210lbs…figured he’d be coveted by most fans.

Having watched almost all of those games from that historical USNTDP U18 squad, I always saw Beecher as a first-round talent. He’s never been the goal-scoring type, no, but he’s a possession-oriented player who drives play through his feet, with the puck on his blade.

Beecher plays on the edge, is lightning fast, incredibly agile and most defensemen, even in the NCAA, have to respect his natural abilities and afford him some space so they don’t get burned. He was also behind Jack Hughes, Trevor Zegras and Alex Turcotte, so like, even if one of those guys weren’t there he’d have been a middle-six regular, producing even more than he did.

Before the draft, I believe I said Kaliyev was my “dream” at No. 30, because he wasn’t expected to be anywhere near there, and I still said I’d like Beecher in that slot, too. Still think he was a good pick and definitely one that this organization needed and will need.

His hands and ability to stick-handle in and out of situations is really fun to watch. He’s very Coyle-esque is that regard, though the difference is that he’s got a much bigger, more aggressive attitude than Coyle has.

Anyways, always found that one weird having watched him plenty that year.
Loved the pick but definitely soured on him this passed season. Doesn’t mean he won’t get better. I just hope he develops as a center. I’m tired of making all our center prospects play wing and suck. Our centers are getting old.

BruinsNetwork

Jan 8, 2021
Loved the pick but definitely soured on him this passed season. Doesn’t mean he won’t get better. I just hope he develops as a center. I’m tired of making all our center prospects play wing and suck. Our centers are getting old.

He was playing center this season and his PPG stayed identical to what it was as a freshman. His shoulder injury definitely sucks, but he got ahead of it and got surgery. Sucks even more about the World Juniors and what happened with his alleged false-positive tests that kept him out. Was looking forward to seeing him there and it spoke volumes to hear someone like Cole Caufield say he's underrated and thinks he was going to make a splash in the tournament.

We'll see where his plane lands next season, though...

since76

Jul 14, 2005
Quebec
Trust me I'm not happy, but in reality, all those guys would not be here still
I understand what you mean but we would have probably traded sone older and never signed ridiculous deal like coyle….and clearly won atleast one more cup

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad