Prospect Info: Bruins Prospects XIX - Stay on subject!

Status
Not open for further replies.

DKH

The Bergeron of HF
Feb 27, 2002
Give me Lohrei and any one of the other D and I’m ecstatic

It’s crazy how they get these college FA and they had Tanev until Winnipeg made that stupid deal

Reactions: Mick Riddleton

arider1990

Dec 9, 2018
For me it is what they do in the NHL. I'm excited about Merkulov but Koko looked good in the AHL, Beecher has a great combination of speed and size but does he become a Kuraly with an edge or an AHL vet who can't score at all.

Prospects are great, I would love to see Merkulov be good enough to replace Smith next year and Beecher Nosek but until that happens they are promising prospects, like Spooner and Koko and so many others who were overrated and never did anything.

That said, as much as I hate Sweeney, he has done a good job with this group of college free agent signings to make up for the picks he has dealt. Considering he seems to not be very enthusiastic on drafting CHL players this appears to be a way to keep the pipeline in decent shape and use the picks to fix his UFA mistakes.
After spending some time doing research, here is the breakdown of the leagues the 43 players that Sweeney has drafted.
OHL 4
WHL 4
QMJHL 3
USHL 11
NCAA 2
OJHL 1
AJHL 1
USHS 3
LIIGA 3
SHL 4
CZECH 2
HockeyAllsvenskan 2
NAHL 1
MHL 2

As you can see a lot of players have been drafted from the USHL but the same amount have been drafted from the CHL across the 3 leagues.

The Hockey Tonk Man

May 3, 2007
Toronto
After spending some time doing research, here is the breakdown of the leagues the 43 players that Sweeney has drafted.
OHL 4
WHL 4
QMJHL 3
USHL 11
NCAA 2
OJHL 1
AJHL 1
USHS 3
LIIGA 3
SHL 4
CZECH 2
HockeyAllsvenskan 2
NAHL 1
MHL 2

As you can see a lot of players have been drafted from the USHL but the same amount have been drafted from the CHL across the 3 leagues.
I wish Sweeney drafted more Canadian boys.
But looking at the breakdown it's fairly even Can/Usa draft wise

Reactions: Dennis Bonvie

Fenian24

Jun 14, 2010
OHL 4
WHL 4
QMJHL 3
USHL 11
NCAA 2
OJHL 1
AJHL 1
USHS 3
LIIGA 3
SHL 4
CZECH 2
HockeyAllsvenskan 2
NAHL 1
MHL 2

Good information, thanks. It seems like he drafts USHL/NCAA players more but this shows otherwise.

Reactions: HustleB

Saxon Eric

Dec 18, 2005
OHL 4
WHL 4
QMJHL 3
USHL 11
NCAA 2
OJHL 1
AJHL 1
USHS 3
LIIGA 3
SHL 4
CZECH 2
HockeyAllsvenskan 2
NAHL 1
MHL 2

Good list

chizzler

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jan 11, 2006
How is that current crop of prospects not passing the eye test for you? Not only are they passing the eye test, but they all have the production to boot
I just don’t get too high and too low with prospects. Sometimes they do t work or get injured. Sometimes the team doesn’t do the thing in their interest. (That’s a fact).

Patdud

Mar 23, 2022
New Hampshire
Good information, thanks. It seems like he drafts USHL/NCAA players more but this shows otherwise.
OHL 4
WHL 4
QMJHL 3
USHL 11
NCAA 2
OJHL 1
AJHL 1
USHS 3
LIIGA 3
SHL 4
CZECH 2
HockeyAllsvenskan 2
NAHL 1
MHL 2

NAHL/USHL are the only junior league if the player wants to go the NCAA route no? I know CHL players aren't allowed to enroll. Would assume those USHL players are all College bound.

DominicT

Sep 6, 2009
Stratford Ontario
dom.hockey
Below in the link is the Junior "A" leagues involved across Canada. All in the CJHL. It is the hardest hockey trophy to win in Canada by sheer number of teams. They send a lot of players to the College ranks.

Yeah, and there are some that don't fall under the CJHL umbrella as well.

In some places, like Ontario (OJHL) there are many that believe (yours truly included) that the GOJHL is a better league then the OJHL and it is a junior B league. They keep trying to get Junior A status, but it's a no go. I really don't understand it though.

Reactions: old blue

Saxon Eric

Dec 18, 2005
Meanwhile in Nebraska
Fargo lost 8-3
Gasseau 2 shots +1
Langenbrunner 1 shot
2 games left in the Regular season

PepeBostones

Sponsor
Mar 3, 2002
I know it's only a small sample but can't help getting excited about Johnny Beecher. Tremendous skater but what really stood out to me was he played hard and smart two way game and scored two great goals. More of the same, please.

Always thought a player built like that with his skating ability should be successful in the NHL. Must be a nightmare for opponents knowing a 6'03" 210 lbs locomotive coming at them full speed.

It's funny I almost thought Beecher was going the wrong way in the Bruins prospect ladder.
Really impressed me and really happy for him, esp after a tough last year, missing the World Jrs and having shoulder surgery.

Beecher may very well be better suited for the pro game than college and Bruins haven't had a character like Beecher in a long while. I know it's early but if developing an offensive game there's a lot to like.

Dr Hook

It’s Called Ruins
Sponsor
Mar 9, 2005
Tyler, TX
Beecher may very well be better suited for the pro game than college and Bruins haven't had a character like Beecher in a long while. I know it's early but if developing an offensive game there's a lot to like.

I like this take- it's so true some guys' games just translate well to the NHL. The prospect ash heap is littered with guys that can put up offensive numbers in Jr or college, or even minor pros. I hope Beecher can be what he looks like he could be. I'd take a Trent Frederic development path for him that ended with him as a regular 3rd liner and call it a win.

rocketdan9

Feb 5, 2009

Good point. In addition, may compound playing with better/more skilled wingers.

Covers lots of ice

Will try to temper expectations. Needs to prove a whole season(ups and down) at the pro level (ahl and nhl)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad