Prospect Info: Bruins Prospects XIV - Stay on subject!

Status
Not open for further replies.

BruinsFanSince94

The Perfect Fan ™
Sep 28, 2017
New England
FWIW I watched the MHL finals and Steve’s report is valid. Bychkov did not look good and when he did, it was seemingly short lived. He’s obviously very skilled, but so far his track record has him cracking under pressure and during crunch time.

That does not sound like an option down the road. Still would love to hit up Russia for prospects.

Saxon Eric

Dec 18, 2005
Green Bay lost their first playoff game 3-2
Lohrei had an assist on the PP but was a -3
Schmaltz also 1 assist on the PP -1
I missed the first period, watched the second and thought Lohrei was dominant
3rd period was delayed due to bad ice and old Saxon Eric was struggling to stay awake and missed the 3rd..

Saxon Eric

Dec 18, 2005
Lohrei scores on the backhand to briefly tie the game but Muskegon wins 3-1 and eliminates Green Bay
Outstanding seasons for both Lohrei and Schmaltz, next up for these two is Development camp and then they start their Freshman year at Ohio State and North Dakota
that's a wrap for non Providence players till the Fall

WestCoastBruinsFan

Oct 30, 2008
Victoria, BC
Lohrei scores on the backhand to briefly tie the game but Muskegon wins 3-1 and eliminates Green Bay
Outstanding seasons for both Lohrei and Schmaltz, next up for these two is Development camp and then they start their Freshman year at Ohio State and North Dakota
that's a wrap for non Providence players till the Fall
Thanks Eric.

Kegs

Nov 10, 2010
I have been saying all year he can do what Jake does with more gusto. Expose Jake in the draft and promote Lauko next year
Any one who thinks Jake won’t be exposed is insane. He probably won’t even be taken at this rate. Probably going to lose one of the top 4 d the bruins have an influx of.

smack66

Mar 5, 2008
ontario
all the non scxouts on here hated this pick looks like the Bruins scouts know better.
I think we need a bit of a wait and see solely based on his age and competition. otherwise based solely on points it looks like the Habs have the next McDavid based on Sean Farrell's stats in the USHL and he was a 4th round pick. hey i hope Lohrei excels wherever he plays next year but I see this season as being somewhat like a CHL'ers over age season.

Top Shelf Wrister

Jan 16, 2017
I think we need a bit of a wait and see solely based on his age and competition. otherwise based solely on points it looks like the Habs have the next McDavid based on Sean Farrell's stats in the USHL and he was a 4th round pick. hey i hope Lohrei excels wherever he plays next year but I see this season as being somewhat like a CHL'ers over age season.
“A Harvard man” jack Edwards

BruinsNetwork

Jan 8, 2021

For context I clocked this by myself tonight on the replay, so ~ is used for "about" in this tweet. There were a few moments he was out of frame and I didn't give him the benefit of the doubt, but I'm certain he played over 30:00 TOI no matter which was you slice it.

Lohrei played well in both games, though he was trying to do everything by himself on the ice. Is that bad? No, it's not, but his teammates have to be clicking on all cylinders with him and they just weren't. Even on the eventual goal that knocked them out in Game 2, the forwards were kind of just over the place and it's tough to get things going when your goalies constantly kill momentum.

Green Bay's downfall can be largely attributed to Muskegon playing them hard along the walls, sort of neutralizing fellow prospect Jake Schmaltz, and also because their goalies just kill their momentum. They have goaltenders with little confidence in 50/50 catch and releases, cover ups or puck-play. They'll always make the safest, calculated play and its tough to control the tempo of the game when you're playing like that. They needed better goaltending and although Davis was better in Game 2, he was essentially caught snoozing in the final minutes of an elimination game and cost his team the game.

Lohrei was a -3 in Game 1 and that marks the fist time since November 20, 2020 that he was higher than a -2 in a single game. That alone is impressive in a highly competitive league like the USHL is. He was rather dominate in the first game, too FWIW. There were times in Game 2 where he set up some high-danger, prime scoring chances for his teammates and they either hit post, botched the play or just couldn't get it in the back of the net.

Lohrei is on to Ohio State next season unless something changes in the coming months.

Jake Schmaltz had himself a good season, but he doesn't necessarily excel in any aspect of the game and he'd not hard to contain nor shutdown for a night. His skating is average, as is his acceleration, but he does know where to be on the ice it seems. Would have liked to see him rotate on the GWG in Game 2 though, just a little bit outside of the slot area where he was locked up. Lohrei has made that puck-carry swing from the line several, several times this season and he doesn't usually shoot for a tip when driving like that. The pass may have been ill-advised by Lohrei, but desperation is setting in and the team hadn't gotten much sustained pressure. Their goaltender is the biggest issue on that though as a whole.

Schmaltz is off to North Dakota and I really don't expect much from him there. Not to harp on him, but he just doesn't do enough for me across all three zones to standout. North Dakota plays a high-tempo system that emulates that of teams in the NHL. They can run and gun with the best of them, but also lock it down and switch the tempo at will if need be. Schmaltz doesn't do it for me in that regard, especially when it comes to pace. He's a bottom-six type, though I'm sure he can refine his skating and conditioning in the program he's going to. Either way, he's a seventh-round pick that's going to play for a high-end program in the NCAA, coming off a very good PPG year in the USHL. He's good at the dot, he's good defensively and he's got a solid frame. I'm not expecting much, but we shall see what happens.

Dueling Banjos

Oct 29, 2014
For context I clocked this by myself tonight on the replay, so ~ is used for "about" in this tweet. There were a few moments he was out of frame and I didn't give him the benefit of the doubt, but I'm certain he played over 30:00 TOI no matter which was you slice it.

Lohrei played well in both games, though he was trying to do everything by himself on the ice. Is that bad? No, it's not, but his teammates have to be clicking on all cylinders with him and they just weren't. Even on the eventual goal that knocked them out in Game 2, the forwards were kind of just over the place and it's tough to get things going when your goalies constantly kill momentum.

Green Bay's downfall can be largely attributed to Muskegon playing them hard along the walls, sort of neutralizing fellow prospect Jake Schmaltz, and also because their goalies just kill their momentum. They have goaltenders with little confidence in 50/50 catch and releases, cover ups or puck-play. They'll always make the safest, calculated play and its tough to control the tempo of the game when you're playing like that. They needed better goaltending and although Davis was better in Game 2, he was essentially caught snoozing in the final minutes of an elimination game and cost his team the game.

Lohrei was a -3 in Game 1 and that marks the fist time since November 20, 2020 that he was higher than a -2 in a single game. That alone is impressive in a highly competitive league like the USHL is. He was rather dominate in the first game, too FWIW. There were times in Game 2 where he set up some high-danger, prime scoring chances for his teammates and they either hit post, botched the play or just couldn't get it in the back of the net.

Lohrei is on to Ohio State next season unless something changes in the coming months.

Jake Schmaltz had himself a good season, but he doesn't necessarily excel in any aspect of the game and he'd not hard to contain nor shutdown for a night. His skating is average, as is his acceleration, but he does know where to be on the ice it seems. Would have liked to see him rotate on the GWG in Game 2 though, just a little bit outside of the slot area where he was locked up. Lohrei has made that puck-carry swing from the line several, several times this season and he doesn't usually shoot for a tip when driving like that. The pass may have been ill-advised by Lohrei, but desperation is setting in and the team hadn't gotten much sustained pressure. Their goaltender is the biggest issue on that though as a whole.

Schmaltz is off to North Dakota and I really don't expect much from him there. Not to harp on him, but he just doesn't do enough for me across all three zones to standout. North Dakota plays a high-tempo system that emulates that of teams in the NHL. They can run and gun with the best of them, but also lock it down and switch the tempo at will if need be. Schmaltz doesn't do it for me in that regard, especially when it comes to pace. He's a bottom-six type, though I'm sure he can refine his skating and conditioning in the program he's going to. Either way, he's a seventh-round pick that's going to play for a high-end program in the NCAA, coming off a very good PPG year in the USHL. He's good at the dot, he's good defensively and he's got a solid frame. I'm not expecting much, but we shall see what happens.

Thanks for the write up and reports in general. Big effort, appreciate it.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad