Prospect Info: Bruins Prospects XI - Stay on subject!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Smitty93

Dec 6, 2012
It's possible they do go with Swayman and Vladar but I don't think they will,They like their goalie prospects to play lots of games, if everyone is healthy right now I have Swayman in ECHL to start, Keyser in Providence to back up Vladar to ease him back in,if Keyser shows good form and health you can move him back and forth so they're both getting 30+ games ,Vladar needs 50+ imo,he's shown me he can be "The Guy" but unfortunately it's a small sample size.
If Keyser is healthy Boston is set for the time being, if not time to trade with the NYR for their Umass Lowell goalie, they're not going to need another goalie prospect for another 10 years...

Any chance they do what St. Louis did with Binnington and loan one of them to another AHL team?

Reactions: SanDogBrewin

Saxon Eric

Dec 18, 2005
Any chance they do what St. Louis did with Binnington and loan one of them to another AHL team?
Possible but this Bruins regime seems to like having absolute control in developing not sure they'd be up for someone else potentially soiling up one of their prospects

yazmybaby

Sep 13, 2015
Brampton ON, Canada
I would play Swayman and Vlader 50/50 next year in the AHL.
You want both to play at the highest level possible.
We have learned from the NHL with Rask and Halak that a 50/50 split, or close to this is the best way to play your goalies.

Jim

Mar 11, 2002
Rochester NY
I would play Swayman and Vlader 50/50 next year in the AHL.
You want both to play at the highest level possible.
We have learned from the NHL with Rask and Halak that a 50/50 split, or close to this is the best way to play your goalies.

I don’t think there is a best way. I think it depends on your goalies and your objectives. Some goalies can handle a lot of games. Some need a rest. Some need to feel like a guy is chasing them for the starting position.

If Providence’s season is of no consequence to the Bruins, then it comes to whether they want to develop two guys simultaneously or one guy for the 2021 NHL back-up, and the workloads Swayman/Vladar can personally handle.

Reactions: TCB

twominute

Mar 16, 2008
Washington, dc
76 games ÷2= 38 ,not terrible but again I think Vladar needs more to see what's his ceiling actually is.
Vladar 45 starts
Swayman 31 starts
Keyser 40+ in the ECHL
that could work, give or take a game or two
I like that idea but would like to see Swayman get more games than the past few years. We definitely have a good problem here.

ON3M4N

Ignores/60 = Elite
Dec 13, 2015
Connecticut
I like that idea but would like to see Swayman get more games than the past few years. We definitely have a good problem here.

Its actually not bad if you think about it. At Maine Swayman had 31/35/34 games played. One thing that it sounds like younger players struggle with is the increase in games played at the pro level. If Swayman can get between 30-35 games it would be similar to his workload if he were to go back to Maine for his senior year. The big difference of course being that he'd be facing better competition.

Reactions: wintersej

yazmybaby

Sep 13, 2015
Brampton ON, Canada
I don’t think there is a best way. I think it depends on your goalies and your objectives. Some goalies can handle a lot of games. Some need a rest. Some need to feel like a guy is chasing them for the starting position.

If Providence’s season is of no consequence to the Bruins, then it comes to whether they want to develop two guys simultaneously or one guy for the 2021 NHL back-up, and the workloads Swayman/Vladar can personally handle.
I think it is the objective for every team to want to develop all players.
Goalies need game action in order to develop.
It makes sense to me to split games 50/50 or very close to that number.
If you want to through some competition in the mix, tell the goalies if you win a game, you will automatically play game two, then you go back to the other goalie.
I used to do this when I was coaching high level rep hockey in my home town.

rocketdan9

Feb 5, 2009
What does Halak’s deal mean for these three - who gets the lions share and who gets the left overs and who gets left out of Providence?

Imo

Vladar gets the starting nod
Either Keyser or Swayman win the job as backup and the other gets sent down to the ECHL

If either Halak or Rask get hurt, callup Vladar

Reactions: wintersej

SanDogBrewin

Righteous bucks!
Jan 14, 2010
On a tasty wave
twitter.com
“It’s been a busy year for Johnny Beecher. Over the last year, the Elmira, N.Y. native graduated from high school in Northville, Minn., while training with the United States National Team Development Program. He then was picked 30th overall by the Boston Bruins in the NHL Draft and months later began school at the University of Michigan. He paused his NCAA career so he could play for Team USA at World Juniors in late December into early January, then retuned to Ann Arbor to continue playing for the Wolverines until the COVID-19 break abruptly ended his first collegiate season.

Get all of that? But now he’s back home in New York finishing classes for the semester and working out with his brother to stay in shape. If the go-ahead is given at some point, he’s hoping to return to Michigan to work out with his teammates on the ice. Regardless of what happens moving forward though, he considers the last year a success, chaotic as it might have been. “I thought the last year was really big for me in development both on and off the ice,” Beecher told NESN.com last month. “I’ve really loved my time at Michigan, it’s an unbelievable university in everything from the academics to the hockey, it was amazing. I feel on the ice I really developed a lot, and by the end of the season I felt that I was playing some of the best hockey I ever have. Obviously it was a busy year — going to World Juniors around Christmastime, trying to win gold at that, sadly came up short — but I think the year in total was a success. I think I learned a lot and grew a lot as a person.”

A power forward, the 19-year-old entered school long comfortable using his big frame (which currently is listed at 6-foot-3, 209 pounds) to establish himself in front of the net to create offensive chances. But for his size he moves well, which immediately caught the attention of Michigan teammate Jack Becker, a 2015 seventh-round pick of the Bruins who played on a line with Beecher at times this past season. “His speed down the middle is really impressive, it opens up a lot of things, like to get the puck in the neutral zone you can give him a pass in the middle and he can blow by guys,” Becker said. “The biggest thing is his speed and how he can just open up the ice and create more space for you.” But when Beecher was drafted, one of the areas immediately identified as an area of development in his offensive game was his scoring touch.

Mere days after being drafted, Beecher reported to Bruins development camp, and over that week his scoring touch was something the organization implored him to work on when he departed Boston. “A big thing that they said, which I completely agree with, is one thing I’ve got to work on is my scoring touch and making little plays in tight,” Beecher said. “It’s been a big focus of mine the past couple years and this past year I worked on it quite a bit. … It’s still a huge area of focus for me and something that I’ll continue to grow on and get better at.” As the season went on, Beecher grew increasingly confident with the puck on his stick. Not that he was skittish with the puck entering school, but as the season went on it became clear that he was finding another level in his ability to possess the puck. Ultimately, he finished with nine goals and seven assists in 31 games as a freshman.

More Bruins: Jeremy Swayman Ready To Chase NHL Dream After NCAA Stardom “I think the biggest thing for me on ice — which, I don’t even think was very visual — I think it was just my confidence,” Beecher said when asked where he though he grew the most on the ice. “I think from the beginning of the year to the end of the year I wanted the puck on my stick more and I was able to make more plays and just be able to be comfortable with the puck on my stick. So I think that really changed my game and helped me become a better player and just be more comfortable on the ice and make more plays.” Almost poetically, in what proved to be the final game of the season Beecher scored a coast-to-coast goal that concluded with a slick wrist shot from the top of the circle. It was a goal that most certainly wouldn’t have come together for a kid that was short on confidence.”

So you don’t have to endure all the wretched ads on NESN.

Write up about Beecher and Swayman.

Son of Donegal

Stay-at-home defenseman with zero upside.
Aug 1, 2008
Maynard, MA
thomsonsafaris.com
Keyser and Swayman are the same age. Keyser dominated junior before taking a step back in his first year of pro, largely because of injury. However, he has had a taste of the pro game and Swayman, while dominant in NCAA has not. So before pencilling in Swayman for back-up duty or 1a to Vladar, keep in mind there is training camp. If Keyser comes in healthy and with a bee in his bonnet, I wouldn’t be surprised to see him in Providence and Swayman playing as starter in the ECHL. Bottom line - some good competition in net and no reason to rush anyone with Halak resigned.

rocketdan9

Feb 5, 2009
Keyser and Swayman are the same age. Keyser dominated junior before taking a step back in his first year of pro, largely because of injury. However, he has had a taste of the pro game and Swayman, while dominant in NCAA has not. So before pencilling in Swayman for back-up duty or 1a to Vladar, keep in mind there is training camp. If Keyser comes in healthy and with a bee in his bonnet, I wouldn’t be surprised to see him in Providence and Swayman playing as starter in the ECHL. Bottom line - some good competition in net and no reason to rush anyone with Halak resigned.

I agree

I think Keyser somewhat unorthodox/flashy style makes some feel uneasy

Swayman on the other hand is the more technical/butterfly goaltender. Also he had a subpar team in front of him and he did a marvelous job

I'm just happy that the Bruins not one or two but three good looking goalie prospects. Hopefully at least one turns out to be the goaltender of the future for years to come

DKH

The Bergeron of HF
Feb 27, 2002
Interesting reading the Hockey News on line updates in conjunction with the bi-weekly magazine you get some very good information.

The Bruins may have been ranked low preseason but the love has grown over the season.

Beyond Vaakanainen & Studnicka and even Beecher industry wide the internal like/love for Lauzon and Frederic is all over the Perfection Pod Jay Leach interview.

We may be hearing much more about Lauko, Hall, anf Olsen sooner than later as well.

UncleRico

May 8, 2017

One top 50 prospect and two top 100 prospects isn’t great lol. Maybe Beecher makes it a 3rd, but after his disappointing year I highly doubt he’s in a top 100.

granted a lot of this is due to players already graduating to the big club, which is a very good thing. Also there isn’t a lot of spots to fill for the bruins either. So is having a weak farm isn’t really an issue right now.

when it comes down to it, outside of maybe studnicka there isn’t any top end talent in the farm. A lot of quality lower 2nd line higher quality 3rd line players, but definitely a lack of premiere talent.

Reactions: Lo97

DKH

The Bergeron of HF
Feb 27, 2002
One top 50 prospect and two top 100 prospects isn’t great lol. Maybe Beecher makes it a 3rd, but after his disappointing year I highly doubt he’s in a top 100.

granted a lot of this is due to players already graduating to the big club, which is a very good thing. Also there isn’t a lot of spots to fill for the bruins either. So is having a weak farm isn’t really an issue right now.

when it comes down to it, outside of maybe studnicka there isn’t any top end talent in the farm. A lot of quality lower 2nd line higher quality 3rd line players, but definitely a lack of premiere talent.
They got a lot of high floor guys. They aren’t shopping/drafting for luxury or sports cars- they are looking for trucks. Coyle, Studnicka, Frederic, Beecher ~ there’s a pattern there . The D is top 5 (Scott Stevens says it’s #1) and they have Lauzon, Vaakanainen, and Zboril ready.

other than continued health and good fortune the only weakness to me as a top center like a Krebs or Frost or Dach on the way.

This is a team that outscored Blues 12-3 last two games in St Louis and coulda shoulda woulda won

they are President Trophy worthy this year and next year will be strong again

there system and shopping controversial bypasses the Vesalainen, DeBrincat, Kaliyev for Vaakanainen, Frederic, and Beecher

but they win

neelynugs

Feb 27, 2002
Interesting reading the Hockey News on line updates in conjunction with the bi-weekly magazine you get some very good information.

The Bruins may have been ranked low preseason but the love has grown over the season.

Beyond Vaakanainen & Studnicka and even Beecher industry wide the internal like/love for Lauzon and Frederic is all over the Perfection Pod Jay Leach interview.

We may be hearing much more about Lauko, Hall, anf Olsen sooner than later as well.

i'm not bullish on vaak but he should be a solid player. him being expansion exempt is a nice
bonus.

Reactions: DKH

PatriceBergeronFan

Jul 15, 2011
USA
They got a lot of high floor guys. They aren’t shopping/drafting for luxury or sports cars- they are looking for trucks. Coyle, Studnicka, Frederic, Beecher ~ there’s a pattern there . The D is top 5 (Scott Stevens says it’s #1) and they have Lauzon, Vaakanainen, and Zboril ready.

other than continued health and good fortune the only weakness to me as a top center like a Krebs or Frost or Dach on the way.

This is a team that outscored Blues 12-3 last two games in St Louis and coulda shoulda woulda won

there system and shopping controversial bypasses the Vesalainen, DeBrincat, Kaliyev for Vaakanainen, Frederic, and Beecher

but they win

I definitely want to see the Bruins draft high end forwards, but the depth at forward, the defense, and goaltending all look fantastic.

With this one area of need I would hope the Bruins now focus on that forward top 6 talent need.

DKH

The Bergeron of HF
Feb 27, 2002
i'm not bullish on vaak but he should be a solid player. him being expansion exempt is a nice
bonus.
I could see something like this down the line if Krug leaves

Lauzon-McAvoy
Vaakanainen-Carlo
Zboril/Grzelcyk -Clifton

the wild card is Zboril he looked very very good when I saw him live in Providence- reminded me of Brad McCrimmon. He was a traffic cop back there

he’s almost robotic like disciplined - I would like to see him have a little Ference like occasionally head up ice - maybe that’s the last piece

Reactions: KiwiBruin

DKH

The Bergeron of HF
Feb 27, 2002
I definitely want to see the Bruins draft high end forwards, but the depth at forward, the defense, and goaltending all look fantastic.

With this one area of need I would hope the Bruins now focus on that forward top 6 talent need.
I think they will first see if Debrusk , Kase, Bjork etc can Jump a level

to me it’s as long as Bergeron is a stud they are a monster

UncleRico

May 8, 2017

but they win

Isn’t the problem that they have too many trucks and not enough sports cars? To use your analogy. I mean the biggest need on this team is secondary scoring and they really don’t have any high end offensive talent after the first line and none in the system. It’s always good to have the 200 foot players who do a little bit of everything don’t get me wrong, but you need to mix it up even a little bit.

Im glad you mentioned kaliyev. I said on this board during the draft when kaliyev was dropping a little that I hoped we drafted him and that was specifically because he brought something this team seriously lacked. Which was potential for a real offensive scoring threat in the future. Instead they went Beecher who will most likely be a serviceable 200 foot player, just would have preferred an offensive talent like kaliyev.

Reactions: Lo97 and Estlin

DKH

The Bergeron of HF
Feb 27, 2002
Isn’t the problem that they have too many trucks and not enough sports cars? To use your analogy. I mean the biggest need on this team is secondary scoring and they really don’t have any high end offensive talent after the first line and none in the system. It’s always good to have the 200 foot players who do a little bit of everything don’t get me wrong, but you need to mix it up even a little bit.

Im glad you mentioned kaliyev. I said on this board during the draft when kaliyev was dropping a little that I hoped we drafted him and that was specifically because he brought something this team seriously lacked. Which was potential for a real offensive scoring threat in the future. Instead they went Beecher who will most likely be a serviceable 200 foot player, just would have preferred an offensive talent like kaliyev.
Tough to argue with them- inexact science and they are well set up

I would have taken Kaliyev but I don’t know why he fell as lot of teams passed- he would look phenomenal from my perch on second line down the road

still no guarantee he’s better than Beecher but I’ll be watching these two

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad