Prospect Info: Bruins Prospects VIII - Stay on Subject!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Spooner st

Jan 14, 2007
Always appreciate the CC, so thank you! I’m Italian, so it’s hard to not use my hands when speaking in any capacity. I’ll have to try and tone it down a bit, though.

We are who we are. That's passionate people.
You're doing ok.
You'll be more you as time goes on.
Ounce you get more comfortable so will be your guest.

Reactions: BruinsNetwork

ODAAT

Oct 17, 2006
Victoria BC
You need to start doing podcasts regularly. I'd be glad to come on if you can convince @Saxon Eric to come on.
keep us posted, if you really want to ramp up your audience and impress them, bring on a toolbox fan who knows nothing to magnify the brilliance of all 3 of you. I`ll happily offer my hopelessly amateur services to get ya going:nod:

trenton1

Bergeron for Hart
Dec 19, 2003
Loge 31 Row 10

Here’s the video of me speaking with Cooper Zech last night. This is my first ever attempt at doing something like this and associating my face with my account, so please disregard the awkwardness. I’m better for the next one!

My idea here is that I’m gonna start populating my new Instagram (@BruinsNetwork) with videos and content like this. Why now? Well, because I think it’s time the fans start to see the human side of these prospects, rather than just stats and points on Elite Prospects.

Also, sorry in advanced for anyone who actually watches and has to see my face for over a minute long!

Good for you. I always appreciate your posts.

Reactions: TCB

Therick67

Apr 6, 2009
South of Boston
I know it's a very small sample size, but I went to the Providence game Saturday night and JFK looked lazy and uninterested.

While he's not a prospect anymore, Paul Carey was the best player on the ice..

Montecristo

Jul 29, 2012
Looks like game 3 of the playoffs for Oskar steen tonight. He’s been pointless in the first 2 and the series is 1-1 against hv-71. He did play over 24 minutes in a 2-1 OT loss in game 1 and 17 and change in a 3-1 win in game 2...important player for a top flight team this year. For those who think studnicka is the top prospect, I might put steen ahead. He’s a top player in probably the 3rd or 4th best league in the world. Studnicka is a top player in maybe the 8th best league?
Nhl
Ahl
Khl
Shl
Liiga
NCAA
ECHL
OHL

DominicT

Sep 6, 2009
Stratford Ontario
dom.hockey
Looks like game 3 of the playoffs for Oskar steen tonight. He’s been pointless in the first 2 and the series is 1-1 against hv-71. He did play over 24 minutes in a 2-1 OT loss in game 1 and 17 and change in a 3-1 win in game 2...important player for a top flight team this year. For those who think studnicka is the top prospect, I might put steen ahead. He’s a top player in probably the 3rd or 4th best league in the world. Studnicka is a top player in maybe the 8th best league?
Nhl
Ahl
Khl
Shl
Liiga
NCAA
ECHL
OHL

Ask me again when you include the USHL on your list. And when you do, three of the leagues are not like the others.

Reactions: Friar85

ODAAT

Oct 17, 2006
Victoria BC
Nhl
Ahl
Khl
Shl
Liiga
NCAA
ECHL
OHL
this isn`t going to end well

Montecristo

Jul 29, 2012
Ask me again when you include the USHL on your list. And when you do, three of the leagues are not like the others.

Are you referring to the ohl the ncaa and the ushl* now included? Yes they are all amateur leagues for teenagers mostly. Compared to pro leagues I’d say that the caliber of play isn’t as strong just by the nature of that. The best players certainly come from amateur leagues I’d say, but the overall competition isn’t as strong. I’d venture to guess a team like farjestad probably handedly beats any team from the Q. Which in turn makes me think steen excelling of farjestad is a more impressive feat than a player like lauko excelling in rouyn. I’m not down on studnicka because he’s excelling in the ohl. I’m just comparing accomplishments. At this point is it fair to say steen could be a more exciting prospect for Boston as compared to studnicka? That’s really the question. And I don’t have an answer.

DominicT

Sep 6, 2009
Stratford Ontario
dom.hockey
Are you referring to the ohl the ncaa and the ushl* now included? Yes they are all amateur leagues for teenagers mostly. Compared to pro leagues I’d say that the caliber of play isn’t as strong just by the nature of that. The best players certainly come from amateur leagues I’d say, but the overall competition isn’t as strong. I’d venture to guess a team like farjestad probably handedly beats any team from the Q. Which in turn makes me think steen excelling of farjestad is a more impressive feat than a player like lauko excelling in rouyn. I’m not down on studnicka because he’s excelling in the ohl. I’m just comparing accomplishments. At this point is it fair to say steen could be a more exciting prospect for Boston as compared to studnicka? That’s really the question. And I don’t have an answer.

Of course you don't. And most people don't because most people don't have the time to watch the games. Stats don't tell the whole story my friend. I hate to be the one breaking the news to you, but someone has to.

It's reasonably safe to assume in this situation that if it were not for the NHL/CHL agreement, Studnicka would be in the AHL this season not the OHL. The AHL, a league you yourself put ahead of the SHL no?

Montecristo

Jul 29, 2012
Of course you don't. And most people don't because most people don't have the time to watch the games. Stats don't tell the whole story my friend. I hate to be the one breaking the news to you, but someone has to.

It's reasonably safe to assume in this situation that if it were not for the NHL/CHL agreement, Studnicka would be in the AHL this season not the OHL. The AHL, a league you yourself put ahead of the SHL no?

Absolutely. I’m not saying steen is potentially viewed as the better prospect just by being a member of the shl either though. He for a large portion of the year was a top 10 overall scorer in the shl. So while the ahl I see as a superior league to the shl in terms of talent, had studnicka played for providence would he have played with a similar level of production? Would studnicka have been a top level producer in the ahl had he made the jump this past season and been a top line forward? Would he have scored at a ppg or close to it clip? That’s an unanswerable question I know. Which is why my question is simply, what’s the bigger accomplishment. 100 points in the ohl as a 20 year old? Or 37 points in the shl as a 21 year old? To me stats don’t tell the whole story, but they tell more of the story than any other single thing/also i don’t watch either league basically ever, so stats is all I have outside of rookie tourneys and The Wjc

DominicT

Sep 6, 2009
Stratford Ontario
dom.hockey
Absolutely. I’m not saying steen is potentially viewed as the better prospect just by being a member of the shl either though. He for a large portion of the year was a top 10 overall scorer in the shl. So while the ahl I see as a superior league to the shl in terms of talent, had studnicka played for providence would he have played with a similar level of production? Would studnicka have been a top level producer in the ahl had he made the jump this past season and been a top line forward? Would he have scored at a ppg or close to it clip? That’s an unanswerable question I know. Which is why my question is simply, what’s the bigger accomplishment. 100 points in the ohl as a 20 year old? Or 37 points in the shl as a 21 year old? To me stats don’t tell the whole story, but they tell more of the story than any other single thing/also i don’t watch either league basically ever, so stats is all I have outside of rookie tourneys and The Wjc

Dude.

Let me try and get this to sink in without being rude.

It's not all about stats.

Jack Studnicka is closer to a Patrice Bergeron then Oscar Steen will ever be.

Stop looking at the stat sheet and watch a game for a change.

Montecristo

Jul 29, 2012
Dude.

Let me try and get this to sink in without being rude.

It's not all about stats.

Jack Studnicka is closer to a Patrice Bergeron then Oscar Steen will ever be.

Stop looking at the stat sheet and watch a game for a change.

So to sum it up, your opinion is that no, steen is not offensive prospect that studnicka is. That’s all I was questioning.

DominicT

Sep 6, 2009
Stratford Ontario
dom.hockey
So to sum it up, your opinion is that no, steen is not offensive prospect that studnicka is. That’s all I was questioning.

No I didn't say that. I do not look at just stats. I look at the overall game in determining the better player.

Let's put it this way, if it was game 7 of the Stanley Cup Final and I am up a goal with a minute left, they pull their goalie and a faceoff is in our end: I would send Studnicka over the boards before Steen and there would be no hesitation whatsoever. Not even a second thought.

Reverse the situation and then we can have a debate about which one you send over first. But I give the nod to Studnicka just for the drop of the puck alone.

Montecristo

Jul 29, 2012
No I didn't say that. I do not look at just stats. I look at the overall game in determining the better player.

Let's put it this way, if it was game 7 of the Stanley Cup Final and I am up a goal with a minute left, they pull their goalie and a faceoff is in our end: I would send Studnicka over the boards before Steen and there would be no hesitation whatsoever. Not even a second thought.

Reverse the situation and then we can have a debate about which one you send over first. But I give the nod to Studnicka just for the drop of the puck alone.

So when trying to determine who’s the better prospect between steen and studnicka overall, it’s...really close?

Montecristo

Jul 29, 2012
Yes.

At trade deadline, in every big talk the Bruins were involved in, everyone was asking for Jack Studnicka. No one was asking for Oskar Steen.

Thanks for your input I appreciate it! Sometimes I just want to ask the question without trying to stir any pot. It’s not often but sometimes it’s the case

DominicT

Sep 6, 2009
Stratford Ontario
dom.hockey
Thanks for your input I appreciate it! Sometimes I just want to ask the question without trying to stir any pot. It’s not often but sometimes it’s the case

Just some friendly advice then (you can take it or leave it)

Then just ask the question instead of trying to make an argument using stats only. You say it's not just stats, but all you did was quote stats and readily admitted you haven't watched either play.

You might get a better response next time.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad