Status
Not open for further replies.

Gee Wally

Old, Grumpy Moderator
Sponsor
Feb 27, 2002
HF retirement home
Colby Cave signs two-year, two-way deal with Bruins - The Boston Globe

Colby Cave will continue battling for an NHL job under the Black and Gold banner.

General manager Don Sweeney announced Saturday the club reached a two-year, two-way deal with the 23-year-old forward. The NHL cap hit is $675,000, a minor bump ($20,000 in average annual value, according to CapFriendly) from the entry-level deal he signed in April 2015.

Cave, undrafted after playing four years with the Western Hockey League’s Swift Current Broncos, has been steady the last three years in Providence. His point totals: 29, 35 and 33 points, in 75, 76 and 72 games.

TCB

Dec 15, 2017
North Of The Border
Boston Bruins: Top 10 Prospects Entering 2018

Interesting take: Don't agree with his list but always enjoy reading different views. There's no Lauzon or Senyshyn and Axel Andersson he has rated as the 2nd best d-prospect behind Vaak.
One guy cracking the top Ten on this list is 7th rd pick Victor Berglund, it'll be interesting to follow and see if he can continue his offensive improvement stepping up a league.

10. Victor Berglund, D [18]

Stats:
MODO Hockey J20 – 23 games played, 10 goals, 8 assists, 18 points (6 playoff games played, 2 g, 1 a, 3 p).
MODO Hockey, Allsvenskan – 37 gp, 1 g, 6 a, 7 p.

Berglund was a seventh-round pick likely because he only produced 15 points in 37 SuperElit games in his draft year. Scouts still have a hard time getting over to Sweden and scouting anything other than the SHL (which Berglund has not played in), so they rely on the numbers. Berglund didn’t have those.

He does now. 10 goals tied him for fourth in defensive goal scoring in the SuperElit. He also tied for fourth in defensive points per game and was 18th in defensive scoring. Berglund earned time at the professional level, though again, not the SHL, in the Allsvenskan. He wasn’t nearly the goal scorer he was in the SuperElit, but he continued to produce points in consistent time.

Berglund still needs to show the Boston Bruins’ scouting staff more if he gets time in the SHL, and he should do that this season. If he does, the flier the Bruins took on him in the seventh round should turn out well long-term. If he impresses in the SHL next season, he’ll likely be brought over to the AHL sooner rather than later and could have higher expectations placed on him in North America. Until then, there’s a situation to monitor in Sweden.

Reactions: 00BW

Blowfish

Count down ...
Jan 13, 2005
Southwestern Ontario

Interesting take: Don't agree with his list but always enjoy reading different views. There's no Lauzon or Senyshyn and Axel Andersson he has rated as the 2nd best d-prospect behind Vaak.
One guy cracking the top Ten on this list is 7th rd pick Victor Berglund, it'll be interesting to follow and see if he can continue his offensive improvement stepping up a league.

Stats:
MODO Hockey J20 – 23 games played, 10 goals, 8 assists, 18 points (6 playoff games played, 2 g, 1 a, 3 p).

Berglund was a seventh-round pick likely because he only produced 15 points in 37 SuperElit games in his draft year. Scouts still have a hard time getting over to Sweden and scouting anything other than the SHL (which Berglund has not played in), so they rely on the numbers. Berglund didn’t have those.

He does now. 10 goals tied him for fourth in defensive goal scoring in the SuperElit. He also tied for fourth in defensive points per game and was 18th in defensive scoring. Berglund earned time at the professional level, though again, not the SHL, in the Allsvenskan. He wasn’t nearly the goal scorer he was in the SuperElit, but he continued to produce points in consistent time.

Berglund still needs to show the Boston Bruins’ scouting staff more if he gets time in the SHL, and he should do that this season. If he does, the flier the Bruins took on him in the seventh round should turn out well long-term. If he impresses in the SHL next season, he’ll likely be brought over to the AHL sooner rather than later and could have higher expectations placed on him in North America. Until then, there’s a situation to monitor in Sweden.

Interertjng take but pretty darn close.

cbtitan

Oct 3, 2017
The only thing to read in there is that defensemen take longer than forwards to develop and also are less spectacular when they are the defensive type.
The Bruins have a very good record developing Ds and will take the proper time with them.
Obviously Carlo and MacAvoy had a higher ceiling than Zboril/Zenyshin/Lauzon.
You can also add Galipeau as a depth guy on this list.
They haven't said their last word but they are less high fashion than all the Swedish fancy prospects.

BruinsFanSince94

The Perfect Fan ™
Sep 28, 2017
New England
Not seeing Berglund or Andersson in the Top 10 for Bruins prospects, and that seems like a cheesy way to bump Senyhsyn out of a Top 10 that he surely belongs in. Also, still would view Lauzon be ahead of both Berglund and Andersson. Cehlarik is too high at #5, and I would still consider Anders Bjork a prospect, and he certainly should be on the list.

1.) Ryan Donato
2.) Anders Bjork
3.) Urho Vaakanainen
4.) Jack Studnicka
5.) Trent Frederic
6.) Jakub Zboril
7.) Zach Senyhsyn
8.) Peter Cehlarik
9.) Jeremy Lauzon
10.) Ryan Fitzgerald

Reactions: HustleB and TCB

compan

Sep 30, 2009
Nashville
I really hope a lot of you are right about Senyshyn. I don't get to see a lot of him, but from a production stand-point it seems we have a couple other players ahead of him, JFK and Fitz most notably for those around his age. If I am remembering correct, it seems his opportunities lie in his play away from the puck and the defensive side of the game? If I am remembering correct, is anyone that has been able to see him consistently able to comment on his development there?

As far as other prospects, Donato and Bjork to me seem like they will be on the NHL roster for at least the majority of the season. One of Vaak or Zboril will see NHL time despite Sweeney signing every dman under the sun. Studnicka is a kid I think will jump a lot of our prospects. He really stood out to me last year in the pre-season and I can't imagine a year more of development hurt him. I wouldn't be surprised to see him push for a spot like DeBrusk did.

DrJustice

Dec 1, 2014
Boston, MA
Bjork
Donato
Vaakanainen
Forsbacka-Karlsson
Senyshyn
Studnicka
Zboril
Frederic
Swayman
Lauko

Guys like Cehlarik and Fitzgerald are closer to making the NHL but these guys have higher upside IMO

Last edited:
Reactions: HustleB

Blowfish

Count down ...
Jan 13, 2005
Southwestern Ontario
Not seeing Berglund or Andersson in the Top 10 for Bruins prospects, and that seems like a cheesy way to bump Senyhsyn out of a Top 10 that he surely belongs in. Also, still would view Lauzon be ahead of both Berglund and Andersson. Cehlarik is too high at #5, and I would still consider Anders Bjork a prospect, and he certainly should be on the list.

1.) Ryan Donato
2.) Anders Bjork
3.) Urho Vaakanainen
4.) Jack Studnicka
5.) Trent Frederic
6.) Jakub Zboril
7.) Zach Senyhsyn
8.) Peter Cehlarik
9.) Jeremy Lauzon
10.) Ryan Fitzgerald

I find it amusing Cehlairk is continually ranked lower however continues to be played in top 6 role playing with krejci when players are injured.

Reactions: PlinySR

BruinsFanSince94

The Perfect Fan ™
Sep 28, 2017
New England
I find it amusing Cehlairk is continually ranked lower however continues to be played in top 6 role playing with krejci when players are injured.

We all find things amusing. Like how you belittle Heinen and lump him in with unproven rookies. It's just an opinionated list, not a fact. When I go for prospect lists I like to look at a number of things like age, production (at the level), skill set, and overall upside.

Blowfish

Count down ...
Jan 13, 2005
Southwestern Ontario
We all find things amusing. Like how you belittle Heinen and lump him in with unproven rookies. It's just an opinionated list, not a fact. When I go for prospect lists I like to look at a number of things like age, production (at the level), skill set, and overall upside.

Heinen is a good player. Never said he wasn’t. Just odd Cehlairk played with Krejci on his call up over heinen.

The point is the bruins see him differently than some fans. He has a skillet that is better suited for top 2 lines. He will have his shot this year. Hoping for good results or I’m joining the Sabre board. Lol

Last edited:

tremha

Mar 9, 2011
Heinen is a good player. Never said he wasn’t. Just odd Cehlairk played with Krejci on his call up over heinen.

The point is the bruins see him differently than some fans. He has a skillet that is better suited for top 2 lines. He will have his shot this year. Hoping for good results or I’m joining the Sabre board. Lol
PC has 4 points in 17 NHL games. small sample size but nothing to get excited about - and he played with Krecji. Would be more excited if he scored at closer to a PPG clip when in the AHL.

BruinsFanSince94

The Perfect Fan ™
Sep 28, 2017
New England

You realize that while Cehlarik was playing with Krejci, Heinen was up on the top line playing with Bergeron and Pastrnak, right? Over the 5 games that Cehlarik played during the stretch you're recalling, Marchand was out injured with an 'undisclosed injury'. Here's how the games went:

11/15 = BOS/ANA: **Krejci was out injured**
Cehlarik/Bergeron/Pastrnak
Schaller/Kuraly/Heinen

11/16 = BOS/LAK
Heinen/Bergeron/Pastrnak
DeBrusk/Krejci/Cehlarik

11/18 = BOS/SJS
Heinen/Bergeron/Pastrnak
DeBrusk/Krejci/Cehlarik

11/22 = BOS/NJD
Heinen/Bergeron/Pastrnak
DeBrusk/Krejci/Cehlarik

11/25 = BOS/PIT
Heinen/Bergeron/Pastrnak
DeBrusk/Krejci/Cehlarik**

**Cehlarik got hurt and was done with the Bruins until 02/01 against the Blues where he played on the third line, and was invisible. Heinen was up playing with Bergeron and Pastrnak this game as well, I believe this was during Marchand's 5 game suspension.... When Heinen moved up, once again, and put up 5P/5GP.

Just for fun, here's the production from each player with their respective lines above:

Cehlarik:
5GP -- 1G -- 1A -- 2 Points -- 0.40 PPG
Heinen: 5GP -- 2G -- 2A -- 4 Points -- 0.80 PPG

This was fun, and actually has made me want to do some research and really go through and see how Heinen produced when in the Top 6. Right away, I see 10 Games Played and 9 Points. I'm sure that production will drop a bit the more I do digging, but that's not bad...Especially when Heinen is vying for a potential spot with Bergeron and Marchand. He did pretty damn well in a Top line role.

Reactions: Glove Malfunction

Chief Nine

May 31, 2015
[I said:
**Cehlarik got hurt and was done with the Bruins until 02/01 against the Blues where he played on the third line, and was invisible. Heinen was up playing with Bergeron and Pastrnak this game as well, I believe this was during Marchand's 5 game suspension.... When Heinen moved up, once again, and put up 5P/5GP.
[/I]

I was at that game and focused on Cehlarik because I'm a fan, but nothing is more true than this statement. He played like a 12 year old kid out on a pond full of 19 year olds in that game to be honest. He looked really lost out there

Reactions: BruinsFanSince94

Blowfish

Count down ...
Jan 13, 2005
Southwestern Ontario
You realize that while Cehlarik was playing with Krejci, Heinen was up on the top line playing with Bergeron and Pastrnak, right? Over the 5 games that Cehlarik played during the stretch you're recalling, Marchand was out injured with an 'undisclosed injury'. Here's how the games went:

11/15 = BOS/ANA: **Krejci was out injured**
Cehlarik/Bergeron/Pastrnak
Schaller/Kuraly/Heinen

11/16 = BOS/LAK
Heinen/Bergeron/Pastrnak
DeBrusk/Krejci/Cehlarik

11/18 = BOS/SJS
Heinen/Bergeron/Pastrnak
DeBrusk/Krejci/Cehlarik

11/22 = BOS/NJD
Heinen/Bergeron/Pastrnak
DeBrusk/Krejci/Cehlarik

11/25 = BOS/PIT
Heinen/Bergeron/Pastrnak
DeBrusk/Krejci/Cehlarik**

Just for fun, here's the production from each player with their respective lines above:

Cehlarik:
5GP -- 1G -- 1A -- 2 Points -- 0.40 PPG
Heinen: 5GP -- 2G -- 2A -- 4 Points -- 0.80 PPG

This was fun, and actually has made me want to do some research and really go through and see how Heinen produced when in the Top 6. Right away, I see 10 Games Played and 9 Points. I'm sure that production will drop a bit the more I do digging, but that's not bad...Especially when Heinen is vying for a potential spot with Bergeron and Marchand. He did pretty damn well in a Top line role.

Lol good stuff. So both have top 6 potential. Let the games begin!

Reactions: BruinsFanSince94

DrJustice

Dec 1, 2014
Boston, MA

I agree with this. Heinen is versatile enough to play both winger spots and cerebral enough to play in the Bergeron-Marchand cycle game. He produced at a very high pace with Nash and Backes as his line-mates so I'd be confident in him fitting in seamlessly if given the opportunity. He does seem like the kind of player who can play with anyone though, so keeping him on the 3rd line makes sense as well.

00BW

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Mar 14, 2012
Framingham, MA
I think Bjork is left off a number of prospect lists because he is no longer Calder eligible (must be 26 by 9/15, no more than 25 games previous season or no more than 5 each in any previous 2 seasons).
Bjork played 30 NHL games last year so he is not Calder capable but if he were I'd have him 2nd behind Donato as a prospect.
Cehlarik is actually not Calder capable either because he played 11 games 2 years ago and 6 last year.

Reactions: wintersej

weaponomega

Feb 9, 2004
Calgary, Alberta

Stats:

Not really informative, nor worth reading in my opinion. It sounds like this guy has not seen a second of any of these prospects - yet feels informed enough to write this piece and its strictly based on stats. What are their strength, weaknesses? What do they still need to work on? Nothing. Bad article.

compan

Sep 30, 2009
Nashville
Vesalainen passed over for Vaakanainen

Got a bad feeling

What is this referring to? Sorry if I'm missing an on-going convo.

edit: never mind I understand now.

Jets get yet another great prospect out of the draft...

Last edited:

neelynugs

Feb 27, 2002
Vesalainen passed over for Vaakanainen

Got a bad feeling

that's the guy i was hoping for after valimaki and liljegren went off the board right before our pick.
despite LW being our biggest strength, having this guy in the system would've been sweet. huge body,
power forward. he had a heck of a season this year - should be in winnipeg soon.

DKH

The Bergeron of HF
Feb 27, 2002
that's the guy i was hoping for after valimaki and liljegren went off the board right before our pick.
despite LW being our biggest strength, having this guy in the system would've been sweet. huge body,
power forward. he had a heck of a season this year - should be in winnipeg soon.
I was depressed when they passed on him - He was on the radar for Sweeney but that went with Vaakanainen

Time will be the judge but he’s arguably the top Winnipeg prospect

neelynugs

Feb 27, 2002
I was depressed when they passed on him - He was on the radar for Sweeney but that went with Vaakanainen

Time will be the judge but he’s arguably the top Winnipeg prospect

i don't think it's much of an argument. especially if you consider roslovic graduated.
the numbers vessy big rig put up this year were so impressive.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad