Bruins Prospects VI - Stay on Subject!

Status
Not open for further replies.

bruins4thecup65

Jun 27, 2011
I'd like to see Gabriel make the fourth line ala Brad Marchand and go from there. I'm really. Pulling for him.

DKH

The Bergeron of HF
Feb 27, 2002
Here’s my top 10

I exclude the 3 goalies because I’d be kidding myself knowing if and where to placed them.

I also exclude my favorite prospect Ryan Fitzgerald because I really like him and not sure where to put him. I have him starting at 4th line LW but in 3 years he could be entrenched somewhere in the top 9.

1. Donato
2. Vaakanainen
3. Frederic
4. JFK
5. Senyshyn
6. Lauko
7. Zboril
8. Cehlarik
9. Studnicka
10. Lauzon

Last edited:

Fenian24

Jun 14, 2010
I'd like to see Gabriel make the fourth line ala Brad Marchand and go from there. I'm really. Pulling for him.
I am as well, would prefer to be able to stay internal for some grit at forward instead of paying a premium for a free agent like Reaves or Roussel or having to trade for someone. That said I don't think Gabriel will make it, he really needs to rebuild himself after this year, being sent back to juniors as an overager is never a good sign.

Reactions: Saxon Eric

ODAAT

Oct 17, 2006
Victoria BC

I pull for all prospects, hope they all do well, hope they all state their case to push for a NHL job but I just don`t know about Gabrielle, not sure with the cupboard as full as it appears to be he`ll make the big club in Boston. He`ll have to do something pretty special and do it consistently.

Blowfish

Count down ...
Jan 13, 2005
Southwestern Ontario
Here’s my top 10

I exclude the 3 goalies because I’d be kidding myself knowing if and where to placed them.

I also exclude my favorite prospect Ryan Fitzgerald because I really like him and not sure where to put him. I have him starting at 4th line LW but in 3 years he could be entrenched somewhere in the top 9.

1. Donato
2. Vaakanainen
3. Frederic
4. JFK
5. Senyshyn
6. Lauko
7. Zboril
8. Cehlarik
9. Studnicka
10. Lauzon

Good list. Holding bAck any list until after prospect games in Buffalo.

bruins4thecup65

Jun 27, 2011
He's got the speed, toughness, hands, and can put the puck in the net. His only downfall is that he is perceived as lazy.

I agree, he's going to have to give 110% every shift and prove to management he can do that on a night in and night out basis consistently.

AM Bruin

The Early Worm
Feb 20, 2015
Out on a limb.
He's got the speed, toughness, hands, and can put the puck in the net. His only downfall is that he is perceived as lazy.

I agree, he's going to have to give 110% every shift and prove to management he can do that on a night in and night out basis consistently.

Just curious as to who you're talking about here?

Alberta_OReilly_Fan

Bruin fan since 1975
Nov 26, 2006
Edmonton Canada
Who here has seen them all play? I can’t see someone making a list unless they are out there scouting. A video on you tube isn’t goinf to tell you much except an occasional instance they want to point out.

honestly anyone that doesn't factor in other peoples opinions... is probably not going to get a lot out of life. its like when someone asks you what are your favorite 10 movies to go see this year? you know the trailers... you have an idea about some of the work these actors and writers and directors have done in the past... maybe the style of the movie is a style you like

ultimately at the end of the day there might be 100 plus movies that play at your local theatre but you probably only choose to spend money and time on seeing a handful of them...

you are forced to rate the value of these movies largely on what other people say about them

we do that for restraunts too... when we are planning to out and eat

we do that for the politians we vote for... we might know a couple based on our own experience but theres a lot of names on that list we have to rate only on heresay.. promises... expectations

in many walks of life we form opinions on things we don't have personal experience with. you just do the damn best you can that the information you do have access too... is as trustworthy as possible... and you try to use your own filter system the best use of it

Reactions: CHRDANHUTCH

chizzler

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jan 11, 2006
honestly anyone that doesn't factor in other peoples opinions... is probably not going to get a lot out of life. its like when someone asks you what are your favorite 10 movies to go see this year? you know the trailers... you have an idea about some of the work these actors and writers and directors have done in the past... maybe the style of the movie is a style you like

ultimately at the end of the day there might be 100 plus movies that play at your local theatre but you probably only choose to spend money and time on seeing a handful of them...

you are forced to rate the value of these movies largely on what other people say about them

we do that for restraunts too... when we are planning to out and eat

we do that for the politians we vote for... we might know a couple based on our own experience but theres a lot of names on that list we have to rate only on heresay.. promises... expectations

in many walks of life we form opinions on things we don't have personal experience with. you just do the damn best you can that the information you do have access too... is as trustworthy as possible... and you try to use your own filter system the best use of it
I doubt scouts take other people’s opinion on prospects when deciding to draft them.
Having said that, I’m not stupid enough to think that for this purpose of making a list in HF Boards we can’t listen to other people’s opinion. It’s ok. It’s just that some people sometimes are sticking kids in the line up or top 20 lists without a clue. I certainly do know who they all are and where they are in they’re progression, so I don’t assume anything. To me, the ones in Providence are the closest ones, yet we see a kid drafted this year in the third round in someone’s top ten.

GloryDaze4877

Barely Irrelevant
Jun 27, 2006
The Sticks (West MA)
I doubt scouts take other people’s opinion on prospects when deciding to draft them.
Having said that, I’m not stupid enough to think that for this purpose of making a list in HF Boards we can’t listen to other people’s opinion. It’s ok. It’s just that some people sometimes are sticking kids in the line up or top 20 lists without a clue. I certainly do know who they all are and where they are in they’re progression, so I don’t assume anything. To me, the ones in Providence are the closest ones, yet we see a kid drafted this year in the third round in someone’s top ten.

It depends on what the parameters of the list are.

Some people make those lists with the players closest to playing in the NHL the highest. Others have the guys with the greater potential/upside ranked the highest. Most seem to meet somewhere in the middle.

Last year, Jordan Szwarz was closer to playing in the NHL than Vaakaneinen or Frederic. Does that mean he's higher on your prospect ranking than those two?

As far as actually seeing the prospects live. It would be really hard to see ALL of them, given the varied geography. Personally, I try to stay away from definitive statements on a guy, like he's going to be a bust, or he's going to be a star, unless I have seen a fair amount of them (preferably live). That doesn't mean I don't have opinions on guys based on a combo of video, or perhaps a review from someone I trust.

I'm in a SIM hockey league and I have darfted a number of players over the years based strictly on video and a guy like Dom or Kirk giving me a favorable opinion on the kid. I prefer to see the prospects myself, but it's just not possible unless you scout for a living.

Alberta_OReilly_Fan

Bruin fan since 1975
Nov 26, 2006
Edmonton Canada

defininitely is a bias on how people prioritize what makes a top prospect... in the early days of hf I had a chance to be the bruins 'prospect expert' and it is kind of weird since I live out here in alberta and never get to see the kids in the system play with my own eyes.

I also participated in putting together a couple top 50 lists here and again... I saw the Viking cup... so I saw a lot of players, but I certainly didn't see them all or even half of them... and honestly I doubt anyone else did either.

I had to do what bob McKenzie does to compile his lists... gather as many outside sources in the know as I could and get what I felt was an educated evaluation of players...

and then... use my own bias to rank. I ranked size over speed. I always do. and ive always been more right than wrong. some big guys like voborik fail. some small guys like krug succeed but ive been more right than wrong having a bias against small guys and bias for guys with size

also... I believe very strongly in character. when I start hearing future captain... my ears perk up. when I hear examples of guys that eat sleep breath hockey. when I hear about workout machines dedicating their entire life to perfecting their hockey... I listen. conversely if I hear a guy is a party guy its a definite concern. if the guy is a prima donna or a suspension head case. uncoachable… quits the team... abuses his girlfriend... I just really drop the value of these guys through the floor in my evaluation.

I like downside guarantee... guys that play defense well enough they have a career as a checker even if their scoring doesn't pan out... 200 foot guys.

I tend to evaluate foreign guys that have an adjustment to a different size ice... hone sickness... culture shock... a bit lower. im talking about when all things are equal. if 2 guys seem equal but one is home grown... that gives him an edge

I do believe a lot in late bloomers. if a kid was 14 year old phenom and now at 18 he hasn't improved and hes just a decent player... compared to someone we didn't even know at 17 who has skyrocketed up the charts getting better every game as an 18 year old... I take that late bloomer.

and pedigree matters to me. second generation players... players who have played on winning junior teams...

I still strike out as often as anyone else when I get fancy and try to put together a top 10-20-50 list. my lists are no more accurate than the hockey news or lists I see here all the time. if any of us try to pick the top 50 kids outside the nhl today we think will have the most impactful nhl careers I doubt we get more than 25 correct names. 50% is the gold bench mark as far as I can tell

I just moved... I had a chance to move my old hockey news future watch and draft specials ive kept. for fun I went through them from the 1980s and 1990s and 2000s... and 50% is about all they ever got right at the best

I probably don't get to that 50% success very often. but I hope I would be close now with my evaluation of the bruin kids. how would I rank them now?

ive seen donato scoring at the nhl level... hard to discount that. he gets a ton of praise from mcquire who I actually do think is a pretty decent evaluator. I will go number 1 for him.

I don't think vaakanainen has the high ceiling id like for a true number 1 dman. but theres a lot to like that imagine he might become a glen Wesley/brad mccrimmon type. we haven't tested his adaptability to come to north America yet... but I like his downside guarantee

trent federic gets the bonus bump being a late bloomer. he also benefits from my size bias

Jakub zboril also gets a bonus for size... ive seen other skilled big dmen like jeff jillson and shaonne morrison who didn't have good hockey sense come through here before. and even if they never became stars they still played.

Zach senyshen has that downside guarantee and the size factor I like. see him as a good 4th line pk even if he doesn't find an nhl scoring touch

jfk is all about character and hockey sense and smarts from what ive heard... haven't seen him play and I worry about his size. his not having a huge upside and being a bit slow to adapt to ahl hurt him and he falls a bit for me

peter cehlarik is definitely someone I expected to begin an nhl career for the past couple years. bad timing for injuries are costing him but ive laid my eyeballs on him and he seems to have an nhl career in him. might just be a 3rd line grinder type though

I feel zane McIntyre will play too... once you get past your top 5 prospects the odds say very few guys will ever have legitimate nhl careers. so at this point I start to really give a lot of weight to guys I think will even get a season or two on an nhl roster

I value doms opinions of kids as high as I value anyone... and his glowing reports on studnicka have me excited. I was high on a lot of similar ohl kids over the years and I could make a list a mile long of how many went bust. but if im filling out a top 10 here im running out of names I have faith in and might as well start with the ones I have excitement for

our providence watching fans have me high on fitzgerald too.... clearly size is an issue but I guess compete level compensates? and theres bloodlines here. theres downside guarantee. I think he will get a chance to take a spot on the 4th line

theres other guys in the system that clearly have a chance to play. a lot of things need to go right for them. most of our 'kids' are currently in the nhl. I think all 10 guys I listed will eventually get nhl action. that's quite a high number. but I think it might be time to start restocking the prospects a bit

we have a glut of too many guys all the same timeline right now and they will canabalize one anothers opportunities. like a plant sometimes pruning is necessary to promote growth.

from the group pastrnak/debrusk/Heinen/donato/Bjork I really think only 3 can at most can eventually join marchand to be core wingers for us. I do think 2 of these guys will suffer development issues and lose trade value if we cant give them the correct opportunity to continue growth with us.

when/if krecji is dealt I think we should definitely consider getting picks back... in 3-4 years the way contracts work a lot of these current kids will become too expensive to keep. we need to recycle new names into the mix

UncleRico

May 8, 2017
Here’s my top 10

1. Donato
2. Vaakanainen
3. Frederic
4. JFK
5. Senyshyn
6. Lauko
7. Zboril
8. Cehlarik
9. Studnicka
10. Lauzon

Confused why zboril is 7. Dude had a really solid year in prov and played well in a shut down role for them. At minimum he should be 5 on this list

Reactions: Bun Cook

00BW

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Mar 14, 2012
Framingham, MA
They are both sitting down but Elite Prospects has them both about the same size of 6'-6'1" and 180 lbs. I realize the camera is slightly angled but Shen looks to be broader with much bigger arms.

Reactions: Alicat

bob27

Grzelcyk is a top pairing defenceman
Apr 2, 2015
What are Studnicka's comparables and what's his NHL game probably going to look like if he pans out?

Flannelman

Quiet, Gnashgab.
Dec 3, 2006
Thanks for posting eh Kalman article, he mentioned al the Sweeney quotes but didn’t have them on there...

Blowfish

Count down ...
Jan 13, 2005
Southwestern Ontario
Bruins' Studnicka Hopes To Make Sweeney’s Sweet Talk Into Reality

Interesting read here. Seems like Sweeney is really high on Studnicka and keeps mentioning him. Could Studnicka be further in his development than most think and leapfrog both JFK and Frederic?

I can’t speak to JFK orFrederic but the few times I watched Stud versus ice dogs this year underwhelmed me. I’m a little surprised by the feedback so far. Perhaps I didn’t see him at his best. I would expect Frederic and JFKare closer

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

• Toulouse vs Montpellier
    Toulouse vs Montpellier
    Wagers: 3
    Staked: $246.00
    Event closes
    • Updated:
  • Hoffenheim vs RB Leipzig
    Hoffenheim vs RB Leipzig