Bruins Prospects VI - Stay on Subject!

Status
Not open for further replies.

chizzler

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jan 11, 2006
Who here has seen them all play? I can’t see someone making a list unless they are out there scouting. A video on you tube isn’t goinf to tell you much except an occasional instance they want to point out.

BruinsFanSince94

The Perfect Fan ™
Sep 28, 2017
New England
Who here has seen them all play? I can’t see someone making a list unless they are out there scouting. A video on you tube isn’t goinf to tell you much except an occasional instance they want to point out.

So a fan can’t make a list of their top prospects unless they’ve seen every one play?

Montecristo

Jul 29, 2012

I haven’t seen most of the guys for more than a couple of games. I’m certainly more biased towards people I’ve seen but for those I haven’t I just go by production relative to their league and scouting report.

1. Donato- I’ve seen him a lot and think he’s a legit 25 goal a year threat

2. Zboril- saw him at world juniors and was very impressed. Thought his production in his first year in the ahl was good, plus he played a top 4 role.

3. Frederic- saw him at u-18s and he was a moose. Pretty safe bottom 6 player who could potentially be on a 2nd line

4. Vaakananien- admittedly haven’t seen him but I like his profile. Great skater great passer, sound in his own end

5. JFK- to be honest I’m putting him here based off of what others have said. Every time I watched him at BU I was underwhelmed.

6. Jack studnicka- haven’t seen him but I like his profile/production in junior. He has to have a monster season in the ohl next year though or he’ll fall for me. I expect 85+ points

7. Jakub Lauko- like everything I’ve heard about him but like studnicka. I want a big production jump or he’ll fall

8. Zach senyshyn- he’s here for his speed and the hopes he can turn speed into production after getting used to the ahl..side note who’s the better skater between he and lauko?

9. Lauzon- I liked him at world juniors. I’m wary of his injury history

10. Axel Anderson- like that he’s a right shot. Like his name.. hope he has a big year

It’s a really good top 10 despite it being a pretty flat talent pool 4-10. Anyone in 4 could be like 12 and vice versa.

Son of Donegal

Stay-at-home defenseman with zero upside.
Aug 1, 2008
Maynard, MA
thomsonsafaris.com
Time will tell but there's a reason the Bruins pried JFK out of college.

And where is the upside for Studnicka? I watched him a lot this year and I don't see it. He had 22 goals on the top line with massive PP time. He barely outscored teammate Allan McShane, who is a year younger and went in the 4th round this year.

If someone wants to make a case for Frederic over JFK I'm sympathetic, because he's big, athletic and put up the numbers but Studnicka has a long way to go to be in the class of those two.

Ah. You got me there. It was a total brain fart on my end regarding Studnicka going back to Oshawa. I saw him in Providence at the end of the season last year...and somehow penciled him in there for next year. He DID pot 5 pts in 5 games with Providence, though. :)

Regardless, I see Studnicka and JFK as having the similar upside (Middle 6C) when both players have fully developed. JFK has a higher floor, but due to Studnicka's speed and compete level, I think he might even have 2C upside in the modern NHL. Studnicka has a lot of work to do to get there, but I really liked what I saw from him in Bruins pre-season and in Providence.

I have seen a ton of JFK over the years. I like him a lot. I think he is definitely a solid 3C with some PP upside as well. He is really deadly along the goal line. I wish he had another gear though.

Son of Donegal

Aug 1, 2008
Maynard, MA
thomsonsafaris.com
Studnicka can't play in Providence this year.

I don't see Studnicka anywhere near JFK. Studnicka is a project. JFK is almost ready to play centre in the NHL.

Upside has nothing to do with how far along a player is in their development. I never said Studnicka is better now than JFK. I am saying that they have similar upside...i.e. what kind of player are they when they are fully developed. Does that make sense?

Also, if you are concerned about Studnicka's out put last year (22g, 50a, 73pts in 66 gms)...are you equally concerned about JFK's? I mean, by your logic, you should be worried that JFK was outscored by 7th round pick Colton Hargrove...

Studnicka had one of the hottest starts of any forward in the O last year before going cold. Dom Tiano should have some insight to what happened. Bottom line, folks wouldn't have been nearly as disappointed in his season had he not looked like a blue chip prospect in the Bruins pre-season and at Providence.

BruinsBtn

Dec 24, 2006
Upside has nothing to do with how far along a player is in their development. I never said Studnicka is better now than JFK. I am saying that they have similar upside...i.e. what kind of player are they when they are fully developed. Does that make sense?

Also, if you are concerned about Studnicka's out put last year (22g, 50a, 73pts in 66 gms)...are you equally concerned about JFK's? I mean, by your logic, you should be worried that JFK was outscored by 7th round pick Colton Hargrove...

Studnicka had one of the hottest starts of any forward in the O last year before going cold. Dom Tiano should have some insight to what happened. Bottom line, folks wouldn't have been nearly as disappointed in his season had he not looked like a blue chip prospect in the Bruins pre-season and at Providence.

Is Colton Hargrove a year younger than him? If you're going to try to follow logic, the follow it.

spylogic3

Sep 1, 2006
Here it is ... the 2018 dev camp roster:

Forwards: Martin Bakos, Stephen Baylis*, Jack Becker, Henry Bowlby*, Mitchell Fossier*, Curtis Hall, Joona Koppanen, Karson Kuhlman, Philip Lagunov*, Jakub Lauko, Tom Marchin*, Cedric Pare, Pavel Shen, Oskar Steen, Jack Studnicka, Colin Theisen*

Defensemen: Nick Albano*, Axel Andersson, Philip Beaulieu*, Victor Berglund, Daniel Bukac, Lucas Ekestahl-Jonsson*, Teemu Kivihalme*, Dustyn McFaul, Urho Vaakanainen, Nick Wolff*

Goaltenders: Kyle Keyser, Jeremy Swayman, Dan Vladar

*Indicates attendance to Development Camp is on an invite basis

Son of Donegal

Aug 1, 2008
Maynard, MA
thomsonsafaris.com
Is Colton Hargrove a year younger than him? If you're going to try to follow logic, the follow it.

Jaysus. Are you aware that Jack Studnicka is two and half years younger than JFK? Does that have any bearing on your opinion of him compared to JFK? He led his team in scoring and was a point per game in Providence. If you don't want to see it, then don't, but Jack Studnicka and JFK are not that far apart in terms of quality. Do I pick JFK for a roster spot over Stud in 2018? Hell yeah. That's not even debatable. But we are still talking about prospects...and upside is a major part of that.

Reactions: BruinsFanSince94

Son of Donegal

Aug 1, 2008
Maynard, MA
thomsonsafaris.com
Here it is ... the 2018 dev camp roster:

Forwards: Martin Bakos, Stephen Baylis*, Jack Becker, Henry Bowlby*, Mitchell Fossier*, Curtis Hall, Joona Koppanen, Karson Kuhlman, Philip Lagunov*, Jakub Lauko, Tom Marchin*, Cedric Pare, Pavel Shen, Oskar Steen, Jack Studnicka, Colin Theisen*

Defensemen: Nick Albano*, Axel Andersson, Philip Beaulieu*, Victor Berglund, Daniel Bukac, Lucas Ekestahl-Jonsson*, Teemu Kivihalme*, Dustyn McFaul, Urho Vaakanainen, Nick Wolff*

Goaltenders: Kyle Keyser, Jeremy Swayman, Dan Vladar

*Indicates attendance to Development Camp is on an invite basis

Have a look at Philip Beaulieu's stat line at Northern Michigan. Reminds me of someone!

Reactions: Flannelman

BruinsBtn

Dec 24, 2006
Jaysus. Are you aware that Jack Studnicka is two and half years younger than JFK? Does that have any bearing on your opinion of him compared to JFK? He led his team in scoring and was a point per game in Providence. If you don't want to see it, then don't, but Jack Studnicka and JFK are not that far apart in terms of quality. Do I pick JFK for a roster spot over Stud in 2018? Hell yeah. That's not even debatable. But we are still talking about prospects...and upside is a major part of that.

No, but that a guy on his same team that's younger than him scored almost as much and got drafted in the 4th round does say a heckuva lot, which is what I said. He's got a long way to go and he didn't have a great year.

Montecristo

Jul 29, 2012
No, but that a guy on his same team that's younger than him scored almost as much and got drafted in the 4th round does say a heckuva lot, which is what I said. He's got a long way to go and he didn't have a great year.

I’m kind of underwhelmed by jfks game. He seems kind of floaty. Maybe I don’t know hockey. Not a lot of sizzle to what he brings to the team. Seems like a Riley Nash type to me. Without the grit. But so many here like him I’m afraid to say that kind of stuff. Studnicka has more standout traits. Jfk is like a homeless mans bergeron to me, which is basically manny malhotra.

bearcountry17

Jun 4, 2012
South Shore, MA

Seth Griffith outscored Austin Watson on the Knights a while back too. If McShane wasn't undersized and was a faster skater he would have been drafted much higher.

neelynugs

Feb 27, 2002
Good list Nugs.

I love the Lauko pick, but not sure I have him ahead of Senyshyn, who I think has a breakout year.

I think that JFK and Cehlarik (and probably Lauzon) should all have asterisks. If they can stay healthy, they move up.

I really like Zboril, but the FO appears to be much higher on UV than him.

i also believe senyshyn will have a big year - probably undervalued him on this list. but i do love lauko
and look forward to the live reports this week. think he's gonna be a heck of a player one day.

neelynugs

Feb 27, 2002
Studnicka ahead of JFK? You guys are nuts.

time will tell, i guess. i think it's pretty close but i like studnicka slightly better. talking fractions here.
i was so impressed by his play last preseason, he seemed way ahead of the game with regards to a
timeline. cassidy seemed to agree, lauding his play often (i like his quotes, since he's a lot more honest
and open with evaluation).

BruinsBtn

Dec 24, 2006
Seth Griffith outscored Austin Watson on the Knights a while back too. If McShane wasn't undersized and was a faster skater he would have been drafted much higher.

Watson was a year younger and scored at almost the same pace in the 29 games they played together, so you just proved my point for me.

McShane is 5'11" and 190 lbs... he's not Seth Griffith.

And where did everyone get the idea that Studnicka is an A+ skater? At best he's slightly better than JFK.

Listen, I'm not here to rag on Studnicka because I go to the games and cheer for him and I want him to be an important Bruin but he's got to take a big leap this year to make that remotely realistic. JFK, meanwhile, is right on track. So I'm not trying to slam the guy but it's just a case of shiny new toy syndrome and it's nuts to have him ahead of JFK, which is all I said before a few people got really defensive.

BruinsFanSince94

The Perfect Fan ™
Sep 28, 2017
New England
Watson was a year younger and scored at almost the same pace in the 29 games they played together, so you just proved my point for me.

And where did everyone get the idea that Studnicka is an A+ skater? At best he's slightly better than JFK.

Listen, I'm not here to rag on Studnicka because I go to the games and cheer for him and I want him to be an important Bruin but he's got to take a big leap this year to make that remotely realistic. JFK, meanwhile, is right on track. So I'm not trying to slam the guy but it's just a case of shiny new toy syndrome and it's nuts to have him ahead of JFK, which is all I said before a few people got really defensive.

Nope, it's really not.

Montecristo

Jul 29, 2012

What’s jfks best skill?

bearcountry17

Jun 4, 2012
South Shore, MA

Wrong. Watson was, and still is, a year older than Griffith. You’re point wasn’t a good one and was easily debunked.

BruinsBtn

Dec 24, 2006
Wrong. Watson was, and still is, a year older than Griffith. You’re point wasn’t a good one and was easily debunked.

Whatever. My bad. But you're still nuts if you have Studnicka ahead of JFK.

My point that Studnicka barely outscored McShane was a good one and it's telling about where he is as a prospect.

00BW

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Mar 14, 2012
Framingham, MA
Because of Donato's defensive shortcomings, I don't see him as an NHL center.
For me, the Bruins top 5 center prospects on ceiling/potential are Frederic, Forsbacka-Karlsson, Studnicka, Lauko, and Koppanen.

Frederic has size, PK and PP skills, and has turned himself into a goal scorer at an almost every other game rate.
Forsbacka-Karlsson and Studnicka seem to be similar players in style and size. Both pass first playmakers. Studnicka is faster while JFK is better defensively.
Lauko is the fastest center prospect in the Bruins system but the scouting reports say his biggest weakness is tunnel vision (probably same as Kuraly) so he may or may not have a long term fit at center.
Koppanen - biggest center, good skater, where's the offense? Likely a quality 4th line C.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad