Prospect Info: Bruins Prospect Thread Part V

Status
Not open for further replies.

DKH

The Bergeron of HF
Feb 27, 2002
The guy obviously knows his way around the offensive zone, is not afraid to drop the gloves, and is a good teammate and a hard worker. It amazes me that guys like him and Seth Griffith didnt get drafted in their draft class because they score. Seth is just breaking in but he looks like he has a strong chance to follow in Fraser's steps of scoring at a noticeable pace.

Boston may not be the place for Matt but I remember them saying that about Geoff Courtnall, and next thing you know, injuries happen and Courtnall is playing and scoring- and then he is traded:laugh: but not before going on a ridiculous pace that would have had him 40 in Boston and he was more than half way there. Courtnall of course could skate well but Fraser hopefully will get his chance somewhere if not here- guys that can score, compete, and are of good character should succeed.

I was all over him this summer but I've done a 180 not that my opinion matters much, but good to see and like hearing blurbs 'good guy, plays hard, great shot' from people around the team.

4ORRBRUIN

Sep 27, 2005
boston
http://bruins.nhl.com/v2/ext/media/2013/prospect_reports/111413_Prospect_Report_Final.pdf

To head off anticipated questions based on what I've gotten on Twitter...

1. Yes, I think Fraser's scoring can translate in the NHL- he's a pure shooter with the hands and sense to do it at the highest level. In a world where skating tends to be the focus, he doesn't get enough credit for his stick and killer instinct when he has the puck in the offensive zone.

2. If you're asking if he'll do it in a Boston Bruins uniform, that's another question entirely. Time is not on his side...he is subject to waivers effective next year and his game/current style is not exactly conducive to playing a role on the bottom two lines. Not that he can't do it, but it's not setting conditions for success.

3. Fraser is not flashy...at all. You'll go long stretches where you barely notice him out there and wonder how it is he could have 80+ goals in just 2 and not even a quarter seasons. Then, in an instant, he'll jump on a loose puck and zip it into the net, or he'll make an unreal & complex play with less than 30 seconds left in a tight game and you suddenly start to get it.

I was not all that impressed with him when I first started attending Texas Stars games a year ago (and he started out in a slump- with just 2 goals in his first 10 games but many, many chances and hit posts before he went wild). However, he works hard despite a lack of speed and quick feet and is just one of those forwards who finds ways to score at crunch time. Cut Fraser/let him go at your peril...when he develops into a solid 25-30-goal player somewhere else, you'll be wondering "Why can't we get guys like that?"

Prospect development isn't fast food, so at age 23 and in just his third full pro season, his inability to crack an NHL roster isn't an indictment of Matt Fraser. Some fans always want to see players make an immediate impact (shiny new toy syndrome) and are too quick to fall in love with those with higher draft pedigrees or slick packages while writing off others who you have to understand the game and expend more energy watching closely to appreciate. However, the NHL is full of players who lack the dynamic skill set that jumps out at you, but are stars because they simply make plays (looking at you, David Krejci) and commit themselves to collective success at the expense of individual attention and accolades. Fraser is one of those anti-heroes who doesn't look all that great, but at the end of the night when you check the box score, he's tallied a couple of times and been a major player in the offensive end. Overall game needs work and he has to add a step, but question is- whether B's are willing to invest the roster spot/time to work out the kinks?

He's got his work cut out for him to make it in Boston, simply because he's the kind of player who needs a regular shift to make his presence/effectiveness known. You can't throw Fraser out there on the fourth line and expect much out of him...he'll hit and fight...if the situation warrants it, but after doing it a bit in junior breaking in with Kootenay, it's not really his thing (though he did drop the gloves with Manchester's Andrew Campbell this season).

He's an honest player who wants to make his bones in hockey by scoring and was a valued & respected teammate in Cedar Park.

Okay. That's pretty much it.

I often wondered why organizations get players in trade when there is a very real chance that player never fit into the team long range plan.

Is it to help the farm team better develop the "real" prospects by surrounding them with talent?

Kirk- NEHJ

Aug 22, 2002
CAV Country!
www.hockeyjournal.com
I often wondered why organizations get players in trade when there is a very real chance that player never fit into the team long range plan.

Is it to help the farm team better develop the "real" prospects by surrounding them with talent?

I believe the answer is- without the benefit of a crystal ball, GMs/teams make trades based on the body of knowledge they have from their pro (or amateur) scouts on certain players and do so with the idea that the individual will make some kind of contribution.

In a perfect world, every trade produces an impact performer for the NHL club, but the world is far from perfect. Sometimes, organizational depth is the sole by-product and the only return a team gets on a trade but that's the cost of doing business.

Teams make trades in hopes that the assets they acquire will be a part of a winning formula. But no GM expects that every move made will have immediate and or lasting effects. The key is coming out on the winning side of transactions more often than not.

My point on Fraser is that nobody should be deciding in November, 2013 if he is or isn't going to be a part of the solution in Boston. Unfortunately, because of the rules governing waivers, his signing status as a RFA and being subject to waivers after this season becomes a forcing function for the B's to likely make some kind of decision on him sooner rather than later. He's an attractive asset because of his upside and minor league production...they won't want to lose him for nothing.

4ORRBRUIN

Sep 27, 2005
boston
I believe the answer is- without the benefit of a crystal ball, GMs/teams make trades based on the body of knowledge they have from their pro (or amateur) scouts on certain players and do so with the idea that the individual will make some kind of contribution.

In a perfect world, every trade produces an impact performer for the NHL club, but the world is far from perfect. Sometimes, organizational depth is the sole by-product and the only return a team gets on a trade but that's the cost of doing business.

Teams make trades in hopes that the assets they acquire will be a part of a winning formula. But no GM expects that every move made will have immediate and or lasting effects. The key is coming out on the winning side of transactions more often than not.

My point on Fraser is that nobody should be deciding in November, 2013 if he is or isn't going to be a part of the solution in Boston. Unfortunately, because of the rules governing waivers, his signing status as a RFA and being subject to waivers after this season becomes a forcing function for the B's to likely make some kind of decision on him sooner rather than later. He's an attractive asset because of his upside and minor league production...they won't want to lose him for nothing.

And by the sounds of your glowing scouting report lets hope he gets the chance here in Boston. Maybe our Matt Moulson of the future.

Kirk- NEHJ

Aug 22, 2002
CAV Country!
www.hockeyjournal.com
And by the sounds of your glowing scouting report lets hope he gets the chance here in Boston. Maybe our Matt Moulson of the future.

You can't coach/teach someone to have the kind of natural scoring presence Fraser has shown in the AHL since turning pro.

Having said that-- his skating is holding him back, and Boston is a tough roster to crack, glowing scouting report aside.

I come from the perspective of someone who was not all that impressed with him in the first 10 or so games I saw of him live last year. By mid-season I was a firm believer. Too many rocket one-timers from inside the circle to the back of the net, too many smart, industrious plays-- the little things that win hockey games at crunch time-- to ignore.

We'll see if it's enough for him to be an NHL player, but I think he just needs an extended opportunity to prove it. 10 minutes here and there probably won't get it done.

nycbruins*

Might have to be a 13th forward & reassess after 1/2 season to see if someone gets hurt, he forces his way in or flip him for a different asset

Bruins78

Apr 12, 2007
Our college players to date

Brian Ferlin - 10gp, 6/6/12
Ryan Fitzgerald - 13gp, 6/7/13 (8 pts in last 6 gms)
Matt Grzelcyk - 13gp, 1/5/6
Rob O'Garra - 9gp, 1/2/3
Matt Benning - 13gp, 1/4/5
Colton Hargrove - 11gp, 3/5/8
Ben Sexton - 14gp, 3/10/13

Zane Gothberg - .906, 2.84

Kosikarzzz

Mar 10, 2004
Windsor
You can't coach/teach someone to have the kind of natural scoring presence Fraser has shown in the AHL since turning pro.

Having said that-- his skating is holding him back, and Boston is a tough roster to crack, glowing scouting report aside.

I come from the perspective of someone who was not all that impressed with him in the first 10 or so games I saw of him live last year. By mid-season I was a firm believer. Too many rocket one-timers from inside the circle to the back of the net, too many smart, industrious plays-- the little things that win hockey games at crunch time-- to ignore.

We'll see if it's enough for him to be an NHL player, but I think he just needs an extended opportunity to prove it. 10 minutes here and there probably won't get it done.

Glen Murray clone?

Bruins78

Apr 12, 2007
Glen Murray clone?

Shot quality and skating sound on par. Murray had very soft hands and a high hockey IQ. Murray was never open, just his stick. I used to enjoy watching defenseman draping him and staying between him and the net.... Murray slowly gliding back to the high slot with his stick in shooting position and the defenseman assuming they were doing their job. Sounds like Fraser has a bit more sandpaper to his game though.

SanDogBrewin

Righteous bucks!
Jan 14, 2010
On a tasty wave
twitter.com
http://bruins.nhl.com/v2/ext/media/2013/prospect_reports/111413_Prospect_Report_Final.pdf

1. Yes, I think Fraser's scoring can translate in the NHL- he's a pure shooter with the hands and sense to do it at the highest level. In a world where skating tends to be the focus, he doesn't get enough credit for his stick and killer instinct when he has the puck in the offensive zone.

3. Fraser is not flashy...at all. You'll go long stretches where you barely notice him out there and wonder how it is he could have 80+ goals in just 2 and not even a quarter seasons. Then, in an instant, he'll jump on a loose puck and zip it into the net, or he'll make an unreal & complex play with less than 30 seconds left in a tight game and you suddenly start to get it.

I was not all that impressed with him when I first started attending Texas Stars games a year ago (and he started out in a slump- with just 2 goals in his first 10 games but many, many chances and hit posts before he went wild). However, he works hard despite a lack of speed and quick feet and is just one of those forwards who finds ways to score at crunch time. Cut Fraser/let him go at your peril...when he develops into a solid 25-30-goal player somewhere else, you'll be wondering "Why can't we get guys like that?"

However, the NHL is full of players who lack the dynamic skill set that jumps out at you, but are stars because they simply make plays (looking at you, David Krejci) and commit themselves to collective success at the expense of individual attention and accolades. Fraser is one of those anti-heroes who doesn't look all that great, but at the end of the night when you check the box score, he's tallied a couple of times and been a major player in the offensive end. Overall game needs work and he has to add a step, but question is- whether B's are willing to invest the roster spot/time to work out the kinks?

He really did disappear a lot of shifts when I saw him in Austin last year, too the point I would where I would think - He scored how many last year ? How many did he score in the WHL ?

And then BAM he comes out and has great shifts like you described. I like his quick release and that might get him a job somewhere in the NHL.

Well put!

BigBadBruin8

@rsox1221
Jul 31, 2005
Shrewsbury, MA
Looks like Mitchell Dempsey made it back to the OHL, at least for tonight, with Kitchener. Dom I'm sure would have more info on that; I only saw that he got into a scrap on a fight site (one day after getting into one for Kitchener of the GOJHL on the 28th).

Jonteeh

Mar 21, 2013
Sweden
Peter Cehlarik got asked questions by the fans of the team he plays for atm in Sweden.

Most of the questions is about Sweden and SHL but i thought i would share it so you maybe can "get to know him" a little bit :)

You can find the video here: http://www.luleahockey.se/artikel/45694/ (Just wait for a advertisement to start playing and after that it should start) and ofc it's in English.

Son of Donegal

Stay-at-home defenseman with zero upside.
Aug 1, 2008
Maynard, MA
thomsonsafaris.com
Ryan Fitzgerald is quietly putting up a point per game for BC this season as a freshman. Currently at 7g 7a in 14 gms. I am pretty sure he is top 5 or 6 in freshman scoring in NCAA. I hope this kid can continue to play a smart all around game and contribute on the scoresheet. 4 years at BC could work wonders for him..and the B's are certainly in no rush to bring him into the fold!:handclap:

Son of Donegal

Stay-at-home defenseman with zero upside.
Aug 1, 2008
Maynard, MA
thomsonsafaris.com
That's good news considering Grzelcyk has been off to a slightly slow start. Good player though. He was so close to making the team last year. Good luck to these kids.

Love me some WJC hockey!!

NDiesel

Mar 22, 2008
NWO
Speaking of WJC, who are the potential Bruins prospects that could make each team?

reffree

Apr 24, 2003
ste-justine québec
Visit site
Arnesson made it last year, I'll be in the year too I suppose.
Cehlarik will make it, Slovakia isn't a power house, hope for him to have a big role.
Fitzgerald and Grzelyck are long shot imho

bruinsfan46

Dec 2, 2006
London, ON
Arnesson made it last year, I'll be in the year too I suppose.
Cehlarik will make it, Slovakia isn't a power house, hope for him to have a big role.
Fitzgerald and Grzelyck are long shot imho

US only has to cut two forwards and one defenseman. Grzelcyk is practically a lock from what I've read, Fitzgerald might be one of the two forwards cut but it's hard to say long shot when he is one of 15 forwards for 13 spots.

Ratty

Feb 2, 2003
Rive Gauche
Visit site
Matt Fraser

Fraser is establishing himself as a sniper in the AHL. With His hat trick last night he is second in the league in goals scored. I wonder what's in store for his future. Right now he looks to be the third or fourth call-up forward prospect behind Spooner/Johnson.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad