Bruin's post deadline Press Conference

chrisab123

Feb 9, 2013
I think if Chia got a top 4 D at the deadline last year and went all in everyone would be fine with how this year is playing out but he didnt so I see why there is alot of anger out there

But again Im not firing Chiarelli if the Bs miss the playoffs or lose in the 1st Round this year

The man has made some great trades in his time and helped build a great core and win us a cup...So im willing to give him the summer and next year to put a cup contender together again but if the Bs falter next season I think his time in Boston will need to come to an end

Last year Chiarelli signs Iginla to replace Seguin who he gave away. Yet when it came down to the deadline he was gun shy and stood pat. Montreal rolled a team that should have won it all. Just awful. Last year was the time to go all in. If they still had Seguin and Boychuck they would be higher in the standings but let's say if they were 6th instead of 8th with those two, the fan base would be much more understanding. The Seguin deal never should have happened. The Boychuck deal was a failure not because of value but because of timing. The reason these moves have occurred is because Chia gives away NMC to players like Oprah gives away cars. In what universe does Chris Kelly have a NTC? Lucic? Seidenberg? I get Chara Rask and Bergeron but the rest? It's too much. This team needed a shake up because everyone is too comfortable and that's on Chiarelli for allowing the players to get complacent.

Beesfan

Apr 10, 2006
Chiarelli made one comment that really concerned me. He said he didn't acquire a defenseman because, essentially, he felt he owed to Morrow, Warsofsky, Trotman and Breen to give them a shot. Just makes no sense. All of those guys except for Morrow are career AHL players. He doesn't owe them anything. Every team has AHL defenseman, there is nothing special about these guys.

I really thought this deadline would be a success if we got Michalek. I think we could have paid the price of one good prospect. It would have made our team much better.

chrisab123

Feb 9, 2013
Chiarelli made one comment that really concerned me. He said he didn't acquire a defenseman because, essentially, he felt he owed to Morrow, Warsofsky, Trotman and Breen to give them a shot. Just makes no sense. All of those guys except for Morrow are career AHL players. He doesn't owe them anything. Every team has AHL defenseman, there is nothing special about these guys.

I really thought this deadline would be a success if we got Michalek. I think we could have paid the price of one good prospect. It would have made our team much better.

The bolded are scrubs. Especially Warsofsky who really has zero future in Boston and is a 7th d man at best. Blue liners were being sold at decent prices. The fact that Chiarelli decided to stand pat at the deadline and not choose a course of action is mind boggling.

There is also no way in hell that Clode is giving Morrow any chances this year. Everytime the guy has a good game he gets sent down or scratched and gets hurt.

boston77

Jul 8, 2004
Toronto

Michalek has a concussion and it is uncertain when or if he will play this year....

boston77

Jul 8, 2004
Toronto
The bolded are scrubs. Especially Warsofsky who really has zero future in Boston and is a 7th d man at best. Blue liners were being sold at decent prices. The fact that Chiarelli decided to stand pat at the deadline and not choose a course of action is mind boggling.

There is also no way in hell that Clode is giving Morrow any chances this year. Everytime the guy has a good game he gets sent down or scratched and gets hurt.

which d man traded yesterday should the b's have gone for? I did not see anything special from those available, none of the depth d are better than what we have

Beesfan

Apr 10, 2006
Michalek has a concussion and it is uncertain when or if he will play this year....

From what I have heard, he is close to recovery. It doesn't seem to be a major concussion. Probably 30% of the NHL suffers some sort of concussion at some point and comes back fine. I agree that it makes the acquisition more risky, but if he were healthy the price would be higher.

Beesfan

Apr 10, 2006
which d man traded yesterday should the b's have gone for? I did not see anything special from those available, none of the depth d are better than what we have

I think Michalek is probably better than McQuaid and it also gives us the option to move Seidenberg back to the left and Bartkowski out.

BB88

Jan 19, 2015

The problem is that our forwards can now challenge the big boys but our D is still weak, I still can't believe his "owed" comment,
if our player plays badly hte whole season you don't have to play him.

And after boychuk thing + the fact that seids is nomore a top4 D he still only thought of adding a depth D player.:shakehead:help:

boston77

Jul 8, 2004
Toronto
I think Michalek is probably better than McQuaid and it also gives us the option to move Seidenberg back to the left and Bartkowski out.

He may be but Adam can play now while Michalek as I said is uncertain when he will play.. with concussions there are set backs and another injury could put them out indefinitely. If he was healthy I would do that deal but he isn't.

"Michalek is an interesting addition for the Blues because when healthy he will be a solid depth pick up for an already deep and very good defensive team. Even though he is getting a little older, he is still a fearless shot-blocker and a strong penalty-killing presence on the blueline. But the problem is he is currently out of the lineup -- and has been for a couple of weeks now -- as he continues to recover from a concussion.

It is not yet known when he will be able to return to the ice.

whatsbruin

Feb 27, 2002
Central, NY
Great post :handclap::handclap:

I'm sure there are a few people who think you can just go out there and get a
#1 rw and #3 dman, but most don't feel that way.

I would venture that 85 people on this board would have been happy at the trade
deadline if:
  • Sign Soderberg, or trade him at the deadline
  • Trade Campbell and Paille, and possibly Kelly

Mgmt is so reluctant to go to the youth.
The last 2 or 3 weeks it has been the youth bringing some fresh air, energy, and
enthusiasm to the team. With all the forward additions at the deadline, and no one
going out it will be the youth pushed to the side.

BMC

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Sep 26, 2003
The Quiet Corner
Sorry guys. The team won a cup in 11, and went for it again in 13 and they were the favorite to win with the addition of Iginla in 14. They came up short, but you can't say they didn't roll the dice. In this day and age of cap constraints, you can't have your cake and eat it too.. you just can't.

You can either be mediocre year after year and not ever rise or fall, or you can go to 2 finals in 3 years, and be presidents trophy winners the next year.... and then have a down year or two without being able to go for it due to the cap constraints of past success.

If you all want to give back the President's trophy, and the finals appearance against Chicago, AND the 2011 CUP, then you might be able to have you big splash at the trade deadline. (cups are all that matter to me by the way, but for argument's sake)

This isn't men's league hockey where you can retool with the best players every year, there are rules.

I wouldn't be surprised to see this team in the conference final, and i wouldn't be surprised to see them out in the first round. They had a crap February, but were the best team in the league in January.

There were NO big names in any of these trades, and especially none that were realistically going to put the team over the top this deadline.

I'm as big a fan of this team as there is, but try to understand the biz behind it all before being all angry and calling for people's jobs.

Great post scotiahockey :handclap:

BMC

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Sep 26, 2003
The Quiet Corner
That is my point. That totally dominating 13-14 regular season team was mocked because they underachieved against a team they should have beaten. What if this awful regular season team cause a cople of "upset" and reach at least the ECF? What exactly are whiners are looking forth?

82-0 and the Stanley Cup :sarcasm:

BMC

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Sep 26, 2003
The Quiet Corner
I would like to sit Seidenberg for three games and put in Morrow and see how the D looked. Seidenberg's play has bothered me more than any other player this year.

I've said this before- I don't know why Chiarelli thought Seidenberg would be 100% ready to go after blowing his knee out the way he did. Seids has struggled to regain his form all season long which shouldn't have surprised anyone including PC.

BMC

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Sep 26, 2003
The Quiet Corner
A lot of posters say we should have traded Paille, Campbell, Seidenberg, ... to capitalize on the sellers market. The same people think these players stink, are aging, ... so let's trade them. May I ask which teams would have been interested and what would have been the return? Just curious.

I'm not talking about Sodderberg because I think he was taken off the market (or was never put on the market) because of Krejci's injury and management thinking the Bruins can make it into the playoffs.

Exactly. IMO the return for those three would not have helped the Bruins now and maybe not in the future either (draft picks are almost always iffy propositions).

whatsbruin

Feb 27, 2002
Central, NY
Sorry, I am having a tough time understanding the logic behind people crapping on the Talbot trade. First off Chia got the Avalanche to eat half the salary, so enough with the over paid comments because he is costing us just above league minimum. Last time I checked he won a cup and is a real energy guy with experience. He brings the jam the 4th line needs. He actually should be a good pickup until Blidh would be ready to replace him. Ok we got rid of Cunningham and Caron and Knight, we didn't lose much at all and now we have Connolly and Talbot. Does that make us a better team than yesterday? I say yes!

I would guess most are upset because Talbot will replace one one of Spooner, Pasternak, or Ferlin. Had Campbell and Paille been traded for picks/D'man I think most would be
okay with it. Connolly and Campbell will replace the other 2 youths that have generated
excitment.

Estlin

Sep 25, 2013
New York City

I think that comment speaks to the loyalty issue that was the subject of a recent thread. It seems that Chiarelli becomes too attached to his players, which results in clouded judgment and not making the correct decisions for the benefit of the team. Having said that, I do think that Morrow should be a regular on Boston.

Saxon Eric

Dec 18, 2005
I'm sure there are a few people who think you can just go out there and get a
#1 rw and #3 dman, but most don't feel that way.

I would venture that 85 people on this board would have been happy at the trade
deadline if:
  • Sign Soderberg, or trade him at the deadline
  • Trade Campbell and Paille, and possibly Kelly

Mgmt is so reluctant to go to the youth.
The last 2 or 3 weeks it has been the youth bringing some fresh air, energy, and
enthusiasm to the team. With all the forward additions at the deadline, and no one
going out it will be the youth pushed to the side.

I'm willing to bet the night of our first playoff game Pastrnak, Ferlin and Spooner are either in the press box or Providence :(

MattFromFranklin

Fire Sweeney and Neely
Jun 19, 2012
Franklin, MA
About a month and a half from now:

B_IpWdFXIAAlfJg.jpg

Caper Bruins fan

Dec 4, 2011
Cape Breton

I don't know anything about Warsofsky except the games I watched him play in a Bruins uniform this year and I was impressed.

since76

Jul 14, 2005
Quebec
"I loved the man you was before, when you made actions to help us, now you are just sit there waiting things happen" ( kate to jack in lost serie )

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad