NESN Bruins Pondering Joe Thornton’s Fit On Roster

alg363636

Boo
Apr 25, 2014
Washington, DC
Would he even want to come back? I'm sure he'd like a shot at the cup but I feel like there might be some hurt feelings in that relationship.

I mean if it's him for Backes+ 2nd or something hell yeah. He's a solid player - not really a huge need right now. Seems odd. There definitely is some smoke though.

Ladyfan

Miss Bergy, Savvy and Quaider. Welcome back Looch!
Sponsor
Jun 8, 2007
next to the bench
Would he even want to come back? I'm sure he'd like a shot at the cup but I feel like there might be some hurt feelings in that relationship.

I mean if it's him for Backes+ 2nd or something hell yeah. He's a solid player - not really a huge need right now. Seems odd. There definitely is some smoke though.
When he had a milestone (his 1000th game I think ??) and it was announced here at the Garden (where San Jose was here) the B's fans gave him a nice ovation. Most of the STH I know like Joe.

I don't get why there would be any hate towards him. He seems like a good guy and he is a good player.

We will see. Several folks I work with have asked me about this so something is being said somewhere.

I will ask tomorrow at the game . Do any of our "insiders" know where this smoke is coming from ?

Fenway

HF Bookie and Bruins Historian
Sponsor
Sep 26, 2007
Cambridge, MA
McDonald first wrote this late last week

Brenden Dillon, D, San Jose Sharks: The Sharks left-shot defenseman could add some size and strength on Boston’s blue line with his 6-foot-4, 225-pound frame. However, his services might not be needed here if Jeremy Lauzon continues to play the way he has for the Bruins. It’s been a small sample size, only four games this season, but the 22-year-old has played well and added some grit while creating some chances offensively.

How about this deal? The Sharks send Dillon and Joe Thornton (more on that later) to Boston in exchange for Backes and Lauzon.

Joe Thornton: What about a return to Boston for Jumbo? He really doesn’t fit in the Bruins’ lineup and it’s not clear how much the 40-year-old forward has left in the tank, but weirder things have happened. This could be an opportunity for one last chance to finally win a Stanley Cup before he retires, but after so many years with the Sharks, there’s no guarantee he would welcome the opportunity for a return engagement.

If all else fails on Sweeney’s to-do list, and the team acquires the former Bruins captain, Thornton could serve as the third-line center and Coyle could move up to the right side on the second line. Thornton could serve as a net-front presence on the power play, which would make Boston’s already potent special-teams unit better.

Bruins trade targets: Here are the players on the team's...

Reactions: Ladyfan

Ladyfan

Miss Bergy, Savvy and Quaider. Welcome back Looch!
Sponsor
Jun 8, 2007
next to the bench

Brenden Dillon, D, San Jose Sharks: The Sharks left-shot defenseman could add some size and strength on Boston’s blue line with his 6-foot-4, 225-pound frame. However, his services might not be needed here if Jeremy Lauzon continues to play the way he has for the Bruins. It’s been a small sample size, only four games this season, but the 22-year-old has played well and added some grit while creating some chances offensively.

How about this deal? The Sharks send Dillon and Joe Thornton (more on that later) to Boston in exchange for Backes and Lauzon.

Joe Thornton: What about a return to Boston for Jumbo? He really doesn’t fit in the Bruins’ lineup and it’s not clear how much the 40-year-old forward has left in the tank, but weirder things have happened. This could be an opportunity for one last chance to finally win a Stanley Cup before he retires, but after so many years with the Sharks, there’s no guarantee he would welcome the opportunity for a return engagement.

If all else fails on Sweeney’s to-do list, and the team acquires the former Bruins captain, Thornton could serve as the third-line center and Coyle could move up to the right side on the second line. Thornton could serve as a net-front presence on the power play, which would make Boston’s already potent special-teams unit better.

thanks Kevin !

Kegs

Nov 10, 2010
Regardless of whether Boston sees this as a fit or not, why would Joe waive his NTC to come back to an organization that basically pinned every team failure on him and then traded him 10 minutes after he signed a huge extension, before the ink was even dry? If he wants one last kick at the can, there are other options out there with teams that didn't do him dirty...
For basically Marco sturm too. Marco was good but Thornton is walking into the hall of fame.

Reactions: LSCII

bwunderlich

Feb 27, 2002
woodstock, ny
Visit site
I would be whatever beyond shocked is.....

Does Mngt trust that Bergy and/or DK are healthy come playoff time? If Backes can come off books and Jumbo comes here with little lost, this is not a "what-if" but likely insurance policy plain and simple. Coyle slots up.

In a few weeks when the Bruins slot in the #2 or #3 position in the Division and the Leafs are guaranteed opponent, hoping Chara, Bergy, and DK are given liberal maintenance days/games off.

TCB

Dec 15, 2017
North Of The Border
I wouldn't be against him returning as 3rd-4th line player, if it meant getting rid of Backes which would help clear up cap space, and they brought in that sniper for the second line, with the cap space they created.

But... Thornton has a NMC and would need to approve any deal made, and like Bucyk said . :Who knows if he wants to come back now. He’s well situated where he is with his home, family and everything else."

Last edited:

Spooner st

Jan 14, 2007

No way they trade Lauzon.

alg363636

Boo
Apr 25, 2014
Washington, DC
When he had a milestone (his 1000th game I think ??) and it was announced here at the Garden (where San Jose was here) the B's fans gave him a nice ovation. Most of the STH I know like Joe.

I don't get why there would be any hate towards him. He seems like a good guy and he is a good player.

We will see. Several folks I work with have asked me about this so something is being said somewhere.

I will ask tomorrow at the game . Do any of our "insiders" know where this smoke is coming from ?

I don't think any existing tension is between him and the fans...there are still people floating around upper management who were there when he was traded.

But it's been a long time so maybe I'm wrong

Reactions: Ladyfan

Gonzothe7thDman

Jun 24, 2007
Central, Ma

As much as I would enjoy seeing Thornton back for 1 last run, I sincerely hope it doesn't come down to the bolded our solution.

Paying Lauzon to get an older version of him and to dump Backes is a tough price to pay. But better than giving up our 1st.

No way they trade Lauzon.

Lauzon isn't Dahlin. He's looked solid in his short stint but he's not untouchable.

I would be whatever beyond shocked is.....

Regardless of how the Bruins org would feel, I can't imagine Joe would want to come back here if he wants a shot at the cup. Too much of a circus to deal with knowing how Boston media would be. Somehow he'd be to blame if the Bruins flamed out early.

Ad

Upcoming events

• Gold Coast Suns @ Brisbane Lions
    Gold Coast Suns @ Brisbane Lions
    Wagers: 3
    Staked: $36,790.00
    Event closes
    • Updated:
  • Cagliari vs Lecce
    Cagliari vs Lecce
    Wagers: 2
    Staked: $25.00