Proposal: Bruins Offseason Free Agency/Targets

Status
Not open for further replies.

DoubleAAAA

Jun 5, 2009
Well if at first you don't succeed, try & try again. Krug needs help defensively (which is odd to say about a defenseman!) until/unless he finally figures out his what his job description really means.

I think the knocks on Krug defensively are overblown, he's actually got better shot suppression metrics than Miller, while obviously generating a lot more offense. That said KM isn't all that bad at preventing scoring chances either.

IMO Krug is a legit top 3 guy and Miller isn't an awful 5-7 option.

BruinDust

Aug 2, 2005
Well if at first you don't succeed, try & try again. Krug needs help defensively (which is odd to say about a defenseman!) until/unless he finally figures out his what his job description really means.

I agree Krug probably needs a partner who is stronger defensively than he is.

But the Krug-Kevan pairing has never worked well.

I don't think it's any coincidence that Kevan played his best hockey this season with Chara.

RussellmaniaKW

Sep 15, 2004
For most of the year Minny was a mess this year, and Yeo got fired in the end, he saw time with Dumba and had to cover for him.
He also had a lower body injury on the 2nd half which forced him out of the lineup, and Suter went on and said he wants to play with right handed D-player to make the passing work better, Suter-Brodin had been a great 1st pairing that could play the toughest possible minutes with quality and Brodin looked like a Suter Jr.

At the end of year/in the playoffs Brodin got better and lot of Minny fans don't want to give him up, he can be elite defensively and put up about 20 points per season, plays both sides like Seids, important playoff player. I compare him to Hjalmarsson.

Didn't have the best year but would be a fan of seeing Brodin to Boston confirmed trade link.

He also starts 37% of his shifts in the D zone, good for 15th in the league among all D-men. I imagine his possession numbers would look a little better if his deployment wasn't so heavily focused on his own zone.

RussellmaniaKW

Sep 15, 2004
I agree Krug probably needs a partner who is stronger defensively than he is.

But the Krug-Kevan pairing has never worked well.

I don't think it's any coincidence that Kevan played his best hockey this season with Chara.

Krug and K Miller are statistically each other's best partners. Their possession numbers and goal differential when playing together 5-on-5 are better than when either of them play with anyone else.

Chara's numbers are pretty telling when you look at who he played with. The highest 5 on 5 TOI he had with any partner was Trotman with only 442:16 minutes. Chara played almost 1500 minutes so that should tell you what a revolving door the right side of that pairing was. Statistically his best partner seems to be Colin Miller. Their possession numbers were solid and their goal differential was insanely good. I really wish Claude had stuck with that pairing instead of seemingly giving up on Colin for a while.

He and Kevan together weren't bad, but weren't great either. i think it's no coincidence that Chara's best numbers were with a partner who could skate and move the puck. His numbers with Krug (albeit in a very small sample size) were also really good.

Chara & McQuaid together were interesting because they gave up very few goals per 60 together but generated basically zero offense and ended up defending a lot. I think that makes a great case for those two as your top PK pair, but 5-on-5 I think Chara needs a partner with wheels.

PlayMakers

Aug 9, 2004
Medfield, MA
www.medpuck.com
How did McQuaid disappear?

If I'm Kevan Miller's agent, I'm seeking a multi-year deal in the Adam McQuaid range. Truth is, he probably deserves it when comparing to recent signings around the league. He's not a top-4 defeseman though IMO. He actually faced lower quality competition than McQuaid last season. He's also spent more time Krug than any partner in his NHL career. By a good margin. They would make a good 3rd pairing (although I believe Krug is a good #4D).

Carlo doesn't even turn 20 until a couple months into next season. I'm not sure it's wise to look that far down the road. Chara and Siedenberg will be expired by the time he's potentially pushing for a top-4 spot IMO.

He was traded to Edmonton in exchange for the Bruins promise to stop blaming Chiarelli for their problems. :sarcasm:

I agree, Miller will probably be looking for a McQuaid type deal, and if you're looking for a stay-at-home UFA there aren't a lot of guys who are more appealing. He's one of the younger ones available, he played a lot of minutes and had a strong +/- relative to his teammates. Luke Schenn is the other guy that jumps out at me for that role but he's coming off a big deal and I think he'll cost more, not to mention you've got no real advantage in luring him here. With Kevan Miller you have a guy who's comfortabe here, and you have an exclusive negotiating window.

With regards to Carlo, I know he's young and I'm usually the LAST person to suggest a young player will be in the NHL in anything less than 2 full years in the minors but I don't know about that with Carlo. There's something about that kid that makes me think he's got what it takes to be one of those rare exceptions. No rush though, that's where a K.Miller comes in for me. You sign him to a 3 or 4 year deal at McQuaid money and you can move him whenever Carlo is ready.

chizzler

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jan 11, 2006
He was traded to Edmonton in exchange for the Bruins promise to stop blaming Chiarelli for their problems. :sarcasm:

I agree, Miller will probably be looking for a McQuaid type deal, and if you're looking for a stay-at-home UFA there aren't a lot of guys who are more appealing. He's one of the younger ones available, he played a lot of minutes and had a strong +/- relative to his teammates. Luke Schenn is the other guy that jumps out at me for that role but he's coming off a big deal and I think he'll cost more, not to mention you've got no real advantage in luring him here. With Kevan Miller you have a guy who's comfortabe here, and you have an exclusive negotiating window.

With regards to Carlo, I know he's young and I'm usually the LAST person to suggest a young player will be in the NHL in anything less than 2 full years in the minors but I don't know about that with Carlo. There's something about that kid that makes me think he's got what it takes to be one of those rare exceptions. No rush though, that's where a K.Miller comes in for me. You sign him to a 3 or 4 year deal at McQuaid money and you can move him whenever Carlo is ready.

Give Miller a McQuaid deal? I dunno. Then they will have two guys that we can ***** about.

BB88

Jan 19, 2015
He also starts 37% of his shifts in the D zone, good for 15th in the league among all D-men. I imagine his possession numbers would look a little better if his deployment wasn't so heavily focused on his own zone.

And if the team wasn't as bad for as long as they were, and they don't have Bostons forward group.

Hard to blame 1 player for that, and a player who had to play toughest minutes with very little support, but for Boston that should be a good thing, his price won't be as high as it would have been a year ago.

Chara-Vatanen
Krug-Brodin

would be damm fantastic offseason, but someone needs to go ask Sweeney that question that how many D-players he thinks he needs to add to make it a contender :laugh:

bp13

Dec 30, 2003
Visit site

I don't think you can have a team with McQuaid and Miller. I mean you can, obviously, but you will stink.

Both guys are 3rd pairing dmen, at best, and with CJ loving L-R d pairings, that puts them on different pairings. And at that money I assume the plan isn't to scratch one of them, meaning one of them is in your top 4. This means you stink. Even more so if Krug is also in your top 4, IMO. Now, the Bruins defense does stink so maybe the plan is to just stink a little less, but I'd love to think they can be more creative than that.

Specifically on Miller, I'm fine with him as our 3rd pairing RHD too. I think he's probably better than most give him credit for. It just means we need to find a taker for McQuaid.

bp13

Dec 30, 2003
Visit site
And if the team wasn't as bad for as long as they were, and they don't have Bostons forward group.

Hard to blame 1 player for that, and a player who had to play toughest minutes with very little support, but for Boston that should be a good thing, his price won't be as high as it would have been a year ago.

Chara-Vatanen
Krug-Brodin

would be damm fantastic offseason, but someone needs to go ask Sweeney that question that how many D-players he thinks he needs to add to make it a contender :laugh:

I think the answer is clear. He needs one guy who is instantly their best, and then one guy who's in between Chara and Krug as third best. If he does that and the offense isn't totally stripped of talent, he's had a hell of an offseason, IMO. But I'd say it's damn near impossible.

BB88

Jan 19, 2015
I think the answer is clear. He needs one guy who is instantly their best, and then one guy who's in between Chara and Krug as third best. If he does that and the offense isn't totally stripped of talent, he's had a hell of an offseason, IMO. But I'd say it's damn near impossible.

I don't think it's impossible, it's difficult but possible, but my question, fear is that Sweeney thinks 1 player will do it.
Acquiring true top15 #1D feels like damm near impossible.

Vatanen+Brodin+draft would change that defense and rebuild could start, Vats is 24y and Brodin 22y, sign Vatanen longterm around 5M and Brodin is signed longterm at 4M.
Build one of those deals around Spooner and then use other assets for the other trade, or trade Spooner+ for Vatanen/Brodin and go after Yandle, or Demers who I don't personnally want.

My personal favourite these days is Vatanen, followed by Brodin, then Shattenkirk, Trouba would top the list but I don't have faith for him being avaible.

LFG19

Apr 27, 2014
Am I the only one who thinks Kevan Miller isn't awful?

To me, he's a guy who was asked to play big minutes against top lines all year, and while there were ups and downs, he did post the best +/- on the defense at +15, second on the team to Marchand.

It makes me wonder, if he was dropped back to the second pair where he would play against second lines, and if he got to play with more of a puck mover, would he thrive? You used to see that a lot with teams like Detroit. They'd take a guy playing top2 or top3 minutes and put him on a defense where he was 3rd or 4th and all of a sudden someone else's trash is the Wing's treasure.

Chara - Impact D
Krug - Kevan Miller
Seidenberg - C.Miller

Is that not a step in the right direction? Maybe this defenses' problems are too big to fix in one off-season. Next summer they could buy out Seidenberg and slot in O'Gara. The year after that, they could move on from K.Miller and bring in Carlo.

Chara - Impact D
Krug - Carlo
O'Gara - C.Miller

Thoughts?

I would be ok with this.
But I prefer a KRUG-DEMERS 2nd paring. (do what you have to to get ride of seids).

mark3361

Nov 1, 2008
I think Seids is cooked. Versatility doesn't matter if you struggle at both. I wont be surprised if he's bought out. We cant have McQuaid and K.Miller both as well. Chara + 1 more dinosaur is max if we really want speed and transition out of the zone

BB88

Jan 19, 2015
What would you guys offer for Vatanen?

Something that gets the deal done, would really love to add him to that RD side.

Spooner, San Jose 1st, are atleast on the table, or prospects if there's any intrest in them.

alcolol

Aug 12, 2014
Dallas
Young, cost-controlled forward. Tatar and Drouin are two examples of players we'd be interested in.

alcolol

Aug 12, 2014
Dallas
So, basically Pasta.

He'd certainly be more appealing than Spooner. Ducks sorta have a version of Spooner in Pirri, although he's yet to put it all together in one, full season.

How did Pasta do this season? Why did he only play 51 games? What's his scouting report?

BB88

Jan 19, 2015
He'd certainly be more appealing than Spooner. Ducks sorta have a version of Spooner in Pirri, although he's yet to put it all together in one, full season.

How did Pasta do this season? Why did he only play 51 games? What's his scouting report?

Pasta won't get moved, he blocked a shot n game 8 and missed 10 weeks, got his skating back late january and showed again ton of potential, expecting a jump from him next year, he got all his points this year at ES and Spooner is a C who hit 49 points with 3rd line minutes and linemates, could add that San Jose 1st to make that deal happen.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad