Seravalli: Bruins may need to move on from Frederic due to cap reasons.

wintersej

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Nov 26, 2011
North Andover, MA
We will see on Forbort. Big elite PKers have value. Especially when moved at the TDL. Could I see a team like Anaheim grabbing him for free now and then flipping him for a good asset at the TDL? Sure.

But maybe not.

Forbort is ~667k against the cap this year on a buyout. If the Bruins retained that, I think Forbort at 2.3 is very easy to move and would have the Bruins 1.2 on their cap next year. Or they just buy him out.

Reilly will either be traded for nothing or bought out.

Buying them both out net the team $5 million in space.

But they need to clear another 5ish more. That could come by trading (1) Ullmark or (2) Hall or by (3) trading two out of Swayman, Gryz and Frederic.

notbias

Feb 16, 2017
Reilly’s buyout is only $300k. Forbort’s is $600k. So the Bruins can clear $5m with two fairly harmless buyouts.

No “pay up” necessary.

Reilly is 333,334 and then 1,333,334 the following year.
Forbort is 666,667 and then 1,166,667 the following year.

Not exactly the best scenario for them, or a harmless buyout, but also makes things more manageable for sure.

Porter Stoutheart

We Got Wood
Jun 14, 2017
I wonder if Frederic is even pushing the arbitration scenario? I mean, the guy is in a fairly sweet spot (all things considered), in a tight Cap year... surely he knows it's not the best time to chase a few extra $$$? :dunno:

wintersej

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Nov 26, 2011
North Andover, MA
Reilly is 333,334 and then 1,333,334 the following year.
Forbort is 666,667 and then 1,166,667 the following year.

Not exactly the best scenario for them, or a harmless buyout, but also makes things more manageable for sure.

The next year stuff bothers less since the team won't have a 4.5m overage and the cap should have gone up a good bit.

neelynugs

Feb 27, 2002
the bruins aren't in great shape with the cap, but the doomsday stuff coming from some fans of other teams is
a little comical. @PlayMakers and others outlined the likely path ahead, it's not ideal but they aren't getting
ass raped like leaf fans/the OP/etc are hoping.

Reactions: Shroud of Orrin

WhalerTurnedBruin55

Fading out, thanks for the times.
Oct 31, 2008
I don’t think Bruins fans will cry over it. He lacked pace to get in the lineup in the postseason and his regular season goal totals were very much Taylor Hall driven. Put it this way, my latest cap friendly before this news came out I had him not signed.
To be fair, not in the lineup for the playoffs may have helped his stock more than hurt it.

Buyout Reilly, room to do a few moves, and keep Frederic.

Bruins have had success but assets out vs. tangible success or players on the future roster leave a lot to be made up in one way or another. Letting go of a home grown product because we overpaid bottom pair D? I think that shouldn't happen. But will it? Wouldn't surprise me.

Reactions: wintersej

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad