Seravalli: Bruins may need to move on from Frederic due to cap reasons.

dugg133

Jan 11, 2023
Bruins have put a lot of time into developing Freddy and were finally rewarded last season with a 17 goal season with very good defensive numbers. Even if he goes to arb and gets like 2.5-3mil, that's still good value for him tbh. Don't see any chance we lose him for nothing, no matter what good ol' Franky says.

frankiess

Jan 31, 2019
Bruins have put a lot of time into developing Freddy and were finally rewarded last season with a 17 goal season with very good defensive numbers. Even if he goes to arb and gets like 2.5-3mil, that's still good value for him tbh. Don't see any chance we lose him for nothing, no matter what good ol' Franky says.
2.5-3mil, I say, I say, I don't think so,

SI90

Jul 25, 2011
StrongIsland
Don’t think they have the space or the money, but Lou Lamoriello I could see being in love with Frederic. Maybe trade Pageau to make room for him?

Last edited:

JohanFranzenstein

Dec 6, 2013
He actually mostly played RW with Coyle and Hall on the defensive zone start line. It enabled him to get some “one timer from Hall” goals and some rebound goals. His best position is center but he hasn’t been able to see much time there. Even though he is best at center there is a question if he is good enough to be a 3rd line center, if that makes sense. Need someone to be able to drive there. I wouldn’t expect 17 even strength goals from him without being attached to someone like Hall, though…and the Bruins being able to play Hall on the 3rd line was a fluke.
I love his game, I'd love him on the Wings. If he could add a physical presence to the bottom 6 while not breaking the bank and being a solid defensive guy, I'm all over it.

wintersej

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Nov 26, 2011
North Andover, MA
Old Frank was un daily faceoff and said that due to Bruins tight cap situation and his arbitration case the Bruins probably can't qualify Trent Fredric, making him a UFA.

Assuming he hits the market where do you see him going

Quote from ok Frank:

Scoop: Frederic is a really intriguing piece and one of those ‘energy’ guys you think about when you consider the Bruins’ success. They could really use to keep him, but they’re in salary cap jail. They’re carrying a $4.5 million bonus overage and would like to keep other free agents. Would Frederic take a longer term deal at a smaller cap hit to stay? We’ll see, but he’s a potential trade chip as a salary cap casualty.

That is very very different than your title.

Frank didn’t even say that. In his article he says that the Bruins might end up trading him, not walking away.

Last edited:

mouser

Business of Hockey
Jul 13, 2006
South Mountain
But with the goals he scored he arbitration award could be three times higher than that, and he is not worth that.

Skimming his career stats to date, I’d be surprised if the arbitrator awards more than $2m for a one year contract.

Even with a breakout 2022-23 season, his lower production leading up this year will factor into arbitration. For example, if he had been producing similar numbers the previous three seasons an arbitration award closer to $2.5m might be possible.

Reactions: wintersej

TGWL

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jul 28, 2011
Just putting this here for people who don't know.

What Evidence Can Be Presented​

The evidence that can be used in arbitration cases includes:

• The player's "overall performance" including statistics in all previous seasons
  • Injuries, illnesses, and the number of games played
  • The player's length of service with the team and in the NHL
  • The player's "overall contribution" to the team's success or failure
  • The player's "special qualities of leadership or public appeal"
  • The performance and salary of any player believed to be comparable to the player in the dispute

Evidence that is not admissible includes:

• The salary and performance of a comparable player who signed a contract as an unrestricted free agent
  • Testimonials, videos, and media reports
  • The financial state of the team
  • The salary cap and the state of the team's payroll

Reactions: pearljamvs5

Burkeocet

Nov 2, 2019
The leafs could really use a middle 6 power forward who will stick up for his teammates and play physical

Reactions: weems

BronxBruin

Feb 27, 2002
Bronx, NY
Visit site
Is there no chance of resigning him in Boston?
There's definitely a chance. While he'll get a raise, it's not like he's gonna cost $5M+. But the Bruins need to cut costs somewhere and he may be viewed as a luxury rather than a must-keep part of the core. Plus if the staff thinks his 17 goals was an anomaly, they might try to sell high on him since he's one of the few movable pieces that has much value. Conversely they might view last year as his breakout year with more growth to come as he gets more ice time. In that case, they can move out other players so they can keep Frederic. What they won't do is just let him walk for free (despite what the thread title and several posters in this thread say).

dugg133

Jan 11, 2023
You’re gonna have to pay up to dump Forbert and Reilly.
Reilly’s buyout cost is only like 333k against the cap this year, zero chance we pay to move him, it’s just not worth it.

Forbort idk if we end up having to pay to dump tbh, teams always seem to overvalue the 3rd pair, big body PKer. Regardless, his buyout is also not too bad, so doubt we’d be willing to attach much to him either.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad