Bruins Management: Two weeks to turn this around?

doubleminor138

Call me Snake
Jul 31, 2005
NH
Boom goes the dynamite! Chiarelli opens his mouth and some serious bad news hits the Bruin fan ears. HE shoudl have shut his pie hole.

I was only marginally concerned with the prospect of PC making desperation moves, but now it would seem almost a foregone conclusion - keep him around at your future peril.

Explain Johnny Boychuck you smug dumbass.

We'll do it for Johnny, man. We'll do it for Johnny!

BigGoalBrad

Jun 3, 2012
This is the hilarious part to me. He tried to give Thomas away for peanuts. He wanted Toivonen, Fernandez and Rask to all be the number one over him. He inherited the core. He beyond lucked out with two top nine picks for Kessel , including the 2nd overall when most of the hockey world had those picks pegged at 10-15, including him originally. Irritating. I think he was a really good GM up until the summer of 2013. he learned his lesson in 2010 when he didn't replace the veteran leadership from the 2009 team. He went balls out in 2011. He sucked in 2012, but hey, you get a pass... 2013 he tried to make a lot happen at the deadline and rode a huge miracle and hot as hell Rask to the finals.....then lost it. Lost his mind.

Good summary.

He had 2 excellent moves as GM.

1- The Seidenberg trade which was robbery

2- Arriving with Savard and Z in tow.

His #3 best move however was probably locking up Tyler Seguin at such a cap friendly deal for 6 years:laugh:.

Hes had a good run but someone has to pay for the bad moves since June 2013 and its him and it should be sooner rather than later there is no reason to continue to reward anyone for 2011.

He lucked into Toronto sucking and the trades that put us over the top in 2011 were bold moves never to be seen again apart from dumping Seguin since he won't pay mid season for good players. The Kaberle and Peverley trades could both be seen as losses but were important to us winning and Kelly has been a very very costly bottom 6 guy.

Sweeney and Neely should fix this mess themselves and I think from the Behind the B Seguin thing there were too many chiefs and not enough Indians to begin with in the first place so we don't even need to make a bold hire for his replacement they are in the organization already.

MaCam

Oct 5, 2005
Eastern Mass
Absolutely embarrassing comments by Chiarelli today. He makes excuses during his entire statement, and then says at the end of his statement that he doesn't want to make any excuses. LOL. Your whole statment was basically excuses, we shouldn't be judged for one year, it's hard to make trades, I didn't expect injuries, etc.

Bruinator

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Aug 5, 2005
Toronto
The Bruins did something that almost never happens. They won the cup the year following the selection of a 2nd overall future superstar in Tyler Seguin. This should have had Dynasty written all over it. they then proceed to draft Knight and spooner ahead of Toffoli, Kocklachev over Saad and Subban over Pearson. These should have been slam dunks for them and I'm not the only one who thought so at the time. The they find it hard to understand how a single 20 year old good looking single guy who just became a millionaire chose to party a bit too much. Seriously??? I thought they were playing this perfectly at first. Thought they were sending a message to him by putting out trade rumours but I never in a million years thought they would actually do it. The rule is pretty much always, the team who gets the best player in a deal wins it. Was there any doubt here. :laugh: Signing Seidenberg so you eventually have to let Boychuk go for nothing is the icing on the cake. Most of the team he inherited was hear when he got here. His tade deadline deal to bring in Kaberle was another gaffe as far as I'm concerned. He had to deal wheeler to make it happen and I always felt we won the cup inspite of Kaberle, certainly not because of him. He was brought in to bolster our PP and we hardly scored one the entire playoffs for Christs sake.:laugh: The cup was a nice surprise and following it up with a finals birth 2 years later proved it wasn't a fluke but as we have moved along, Chia has pretty much been a complete failure. A month ago, Pens moved a dud plus a first for cap friendly Perron and he has excelled. I can only imagine what he would have brought to our first line. Anything and 1st would have easily got it done. But instead he stood around with his finger up his ass. Time to move on.

patty59

Apr 6, 2008
Lethbridge, Alberta
Pretty much every single decision with the exception of bringing up Pastrnak has been a complete failure this season. They can't even make the right call of which goalie to start in these games.

mikelvl

Aug 6, 2009
Newton, MA
I guarantee that Jeff Gorton will have an interview for the GM job. Charlie Jacobs went to bat for him bigtime when the position was last open in '06. And why not? The Rangers have been on the rise over the past few years, good young players etc. I can't see Glen Sather doing too much of the heavy lifting over there with a stogie in his mouth and a bathrobe on half the time. I'm curious as to how much of the work that Gorton is responsible for with the Rangers.

mislysBB

Aug 6, 2013
Northeast
I guarantee that Jeff Gorton will have an interview for the GM job. Charlie Jacobs went to bat for him bigtime when the position was last open in '06. And why not? The Rangers have been on the rise over the past few years, good young players etc. I can't see Glen Sather doing too much of the heavy lifting over there with a stogie in his mouth and a bathrobe on half the time. I'm curious as to how much of the work that Gorton is responsible for with the Rangers.

I sure as hell hope so.

Absurdity

light switch connoisseur
Jul 6, 2012

I wouldn't mind Gorton, Sweeney too.

DKH

The Bergeron of HF
Feb 27, 2002
Maria from Watertown already on hold for 9 am hockey show tomorrow

Ice Nine

Dec 11, 2014
Parts Unknown
I get what Chiarelli is saying.

When there are stories about Chucky Jacobs out there, barnstorming, and threatening people's jobs, then it weakens the Bruins' bargaining positions. The other teams *know* you have to deal, so you get a worse deal. It's like Chiarelli and Boychuk. Everyone knew he HAD to deal because the B's were up against the cap, etc.

BUT. Chiarelli has to wear this one. The reason we are where we are, falls primarily at his feet. If he didn't wait, and wait, and evaluate, and evaluate, and foot drag, and hope, and pray, and evaluate some more, and actually made some significant moves early, then he would never be in this predicament.

One of the risks of waiting, is that your position worsens. Fans get pissed off. The owners get pissed. The players get pissed and give up. They slump. And your position is weakened. That's your fault for waiting.

Now, there's a pile on, and it's weakening his trading position. But he has to take responsibility for that.

Era of Sanity

Certified Poster
Nov 12, 2010

imo people are too reactionary wanting to fire everybody everytime there is a bad season but if they could get Jeff Gorton I would take him over Chiarelli, he was a badass at the draft table when he was here.

RussellmaniaKW

Sep 15, 2004
Fire GM now. Give coach until the offseason. To turn it around with his modified team.

I fear Chiarelli will make an awful short term trade to preserve his job, still be fired, and leave us fans screwed for years.

we've already seen exactly that from Mike O'Connell. The worst thing to do is let a desperate GM hang on to the reigns. How many GMs in history have actually dug themselves out of this sort of hole in the past?

EverettMike

FIRE DON SWEENEY INTO THE SUN
Mar 7, 2009
Everett, MA
twitter.com
No trade can be completed with the league office without the club president signing off, right? Neely should be there to protect the franchise from any desperation trades to save one guy's job.

VanIsle

Jun 5, 2007
Comox Valley, B.C.
Its on all management, trading Seguin/Boychuk is not solely one persons decision. It is on the organization as a whole. I am sure young/old Jacobs also signed off on this and now is blaming others.

Too late now, maybe this team will get a #2 pick, not from a trade but from being in the bottom of the league.

Shame on all of you management for your stone headedness theory of filling spots with grinders rather than skill guys.

Latrappe

If Cam allow it
Nov 3, 2006
Boom goes the dynamite! Chiarelli opens his mouth and some serious bad news hits the Bruin fan ears. HE shoudl have shut his pie hole.

I was only marginally concerned with the prospect of PC making desperation moves, but now it would seem almost a foregone conclusion - keep him around at your future peril.

Explain Johnny Boychuck you smug dumbass.

We'll do it for Johnny, man. We'll do it for Johnny!

Things who struck the most is how PC sounds like his players. We heard a lot of excuses on how he can't do this or that but... I'm sure that Jacobs and Neely clearly noticed that their GM doesn't seems to have any solutions for the team problems. This is, to me, the moment that we have to keep in mind if Chiarelli is dismissed at the end of the season. The GM going on the record to say: " No can do" ???. The more it goes, the more it's clear that if PC is fired, Julien will suffer from the same faith. That would be too bad because, while some people think he's garbage, he simply doesn't have the horses to compete, this year. He can't make his numerous passengers accountable; he can't give a night off to his starting goaltender; he can't shuffle his lines with any kind of results since the other options are Campbell, Paille or Kelly.

Speed Shooter

Fly. Don't look, just fly.
Jul 6, 2010
God's Country
If there was a time to fire him it was before he traded Seguin, it's hard to do that after a Cup final appearance, but they ahd to be at least on board with moving him out and by them I mean people above him.

See, to me that's the issue.

I am 100% convinced the downfall of this team and roster began AFTER the miracle GM 7 OT win vs. TOR. An improbable run to Cup Finals (2 years after winning) glossed over cracks (age?) beginning to creep up. Seemed to make PC, Julien, Neely, etc. feel 'invincible."

Arrogance went into overdrive. We've got this. We're awesome. Our roster construction is phenomenal. The Bruins way is how we need to go. Tough, hard nosed, heavy on puck, etc, etc. We don't need petulant Seguin. We need more depth. More 2-way guys. More "quantity vs. quality." We don't babysit.

It's incredible to keep re-investing years/term in an aging core and not only dealing away 'do not fit the B's mold talent" but worse, not giving kids a real chance to learn and grow on NHL roster. That's on Cloude and his system. That's on Chia and his roster construction and 'vision.' Hate to say it, but that's on 'Neely" to convince himself that his work ethic/hard nosed power forward style could be annually emulated....despite clear signs the league itself was moving away from that direction.

The CUP victory was awesome. Running roughshod over Canucks beautiful.

Problem was/is, that was fleeting. This B's exec staff and coach got trapped in that time. They never came out of it and now the team's existing face/identity/DNA/personnel is getting dragged down bottom of river with it.

You get what you deserve, and the short-sightedness of all who run the Bruins to open their eyes to the inevitable is their responsibility.

Latrappe

If Cam allow it
Nov 3, 2006
See, to me that's the issue.

I am 100% convinced the downfall of this team and roster began AFTER the miracle GM 7 OT win vs. TOR. An improbable run to Cup Finals (2 years after winning) glossed over cracks (age?) beginning to creep up. Seemed to make PC, Julien, Neely, etc. feel 'invincible."

Arrogance went into overdrive. We've got this. We're awesome. Our roster construction is phenomenal. The Bruins way is how we need to go. Tough, hard nosed, heavy on puck, etc, etc. We don't need petulant Seguin. We need more depth. More 2-way guys. More "quantity vs. quality." We don't babysit.

It's incredible to keep re-investing years/term in an aging core and not only dealing away 'do not fit the B's mold talent" but worse, not giving kids a real chance to learn and grow on NHL roster. That's on Cloude and his system. That's on Chia and his roster construction and 'vision.' Hate to say it, but that's on 'Neely" to convince himself that his work ethic/hard nosed power forward style could be annually emulated....despite clear signs the league itself was moving away from that direction.

The CUP victory was awesome. Running roughshod over Canucks beautiful.

Problem was/is, that was fleeting. This B's exec staff and coach got trapped in that time. They never came out of it and now the team's existing face/identity/DNA/personnel is getting dragged down bottom of river with it.

You get what you deserve, and the short-sightedness of all who run the Bruins to open their eyes to the inevitable is their responsibility.

It's was not a " we don't need you Mr.Seguin" thing. It was about a player who had a behavior, in the playoffs, who was detrimental to the team. A player who didn't understood his responsibility as a leader and the danger of the social media. Seguin is the player he is because the Bruins shipped him out of town. he had no choice but to realize that with a big contract come big responsibilities. There was very few fans who disagreed with the trade and most of them understood why it has to happen. Do the return is good? No. It's pointless to blame PC for that trade after the fact. There's always a risk involved in a trade. Sometimes you win, sometimes you lose.

RedeyeRocketeer

Jan 11, 2012
Canada
No trade can be completed with the league office without the club president signing off, right? Neely should be there to protect the franchise from any desperation trades to save one guy's job.

Out of curiosity, do we really think Chia was able to trade Segs without Neely's input? Not saying I know, honestly asking. Strikes me as tremendously unlikely.

Speed Shooter

Fly. Don't look, just fly.
Jul 6, 2010
God's Country
It's was not a " we don't need you Mr.Seguin" thing. It was about a player who had a behavior, in the playoffs, who was detrimental to the team. A player who didn't understood his responsibility as a leader and the danger of the social media. Seguin is the player he is because the Bruins shipped him out of town. he had no choice but to realize that with a big contract come big responsibilities. There was very few fans who disagreed with the trade and most of them understood why it has to happen. Do the return is good? No. It's pointless to blame PC for that trade after the fact. There's always a risk involved in a trade. Sometimes you win, sometimes you lose.

Sorry Latrappe, I have to respectfully disagree. It was very much a 'we don't need you Mr. Seguin thing.' The Behind the B debacle got down to heart of it with commentary.

B's brass felt they were better off getting rid of him just 3 years into league than keeping him, regardless of consequences either way.

Anyway it's spun, sentiment is there he was almost traded out of spite. Bitter feelings of his actions/immaturity and his lack of contribution in that way too recent Cup run still stung.

Yeti34

Apr 13, 2013
Tampa
Out of curiosity, do we really think Chia was able to trade Segs without Neely's input? Not saying I know, honestly asking. Strikes me as tremendously unlikely.

Watch the behind the b episode Neely was just as guilty as Chia. The only one that wanted to keep him was Sweeny.

EverettMike

FIRE DON SWEENEY INTO THE SUN
Mar 7, 2009
Everett, MA
twitter.com

Neely is just as guilty there. And in a lot of other ways too.

But I get the impression Jacobs isn't firing him, so he should be on the look out for any "trying to save my job" desperation trade that would hurt the organization.

Paddington

Mar 8, 2011
Toronto
It's so hard to make a trade yet he makes the Seguin deal happen in less than a week.

Sure. Trades are easy when you're the one giving up the best player. Watch how quickly a trade gets done if Chia offers Bergy for a 7th rounder (extremely exaggerated example, I know).

Mr. Make-Believe

The happy genius of my household

That article is one of the worst things I have ever read from someone who is supposed to be in management.

The only way his job should be safe, is if he blows it out of the water before the deadline and the Bruins make the Finals again. Anything short of that and I wont settle for less than his immediate replacement.

Those defending him have little to stand on any more.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad