Bruins Management: Two weeks to turn this around?

Ten Thousand Hours

Aug 17, 2010
Boston
My thoughts. We have 2 months to turn it around. Not 2 weeks. But additions would obviously help.

Not ready to sell. Not ready to blame the front office.

bb_fan

Feb 27, 2002
boston
Visit site
My thoughts. We have 2 months to turn it around. Not 2 weeks. But additions would obviously help.

Not ready to sell. Not ready to blame the front office.

Sell sell sell.

They need a culture change... and its not new this year.

They've been notorious in the past for long stretches of lackluster effort... they just used to have the talent to pull themselves out of any holes they dug.

They don't have that anymore.

And they need to figure out who they can and can't resign and who they want on next years roster.

Dependent on the changes they make this season I'll still wait a bit...

But mainly because I don't see a better option out there GM wise and I'm willing to see if Chia can admit he has a problem..

And figure out a logic all fix

Fire Sweeney

Jun 16, 2009
Bergen
Contenders aren't built in two weeks... especially without any cap space or prospects to trade. Sell, fire the front office and coaching staff, then this team can be ready to contend as soon as next year.

Stone Clode

Kicks him, stunner!!
Jun 1, 2010
Swansea, MA
Regardless of what that nut Jacobs says, if you are a SMART GM, you do your best to make the playoffs while ridding of the least damaging pieces that you can, UNLESS you can make a good hockey trade.

The thing with Chiarelli is that he has to think long and hard about trading away a future piece for a short term solution because 1) It leaves you short in a place where you are already short enough and 2) The piece you're getting back probably doesn't help you a whole heck of a lot at winning a title.

Jacobs' pressure may be on but if Chiarelli and Cam were smart, they'd save their jobs by explaining to Jacobs that this team isn't good enough to make a run, and to get good enough would mean sacrificing very valuable pieces that will be hard to replace and will keep them in the current cap crunch they are in. You make minimal moves here and there, fortify the 4th line, move out some unnecessary cap now.

No need to hold on to guys like Campbell and Paille until the end of the season. If you can move those guys now, do it. Grab a guy like Winnik to replace one of them. Same salary but will give you a change down there that might cause a spark. If it doesn't, you let him go anyway. Try to trim the fat and set yourself up down the road. Look long and hard at guys like Seidenberg, Soderberg, and the like. Are they guys that can still play on the same level they've been at? If not, then move on from them. Get what you can. If you are going to move assets like Subban or another prospect, then package them with someone else to fix that waning piece.

They have to be smart this deadline. Doing something like trading a 1st for Sekera and a 2nd and Spooner for Stewart doesn't make them good enough to win it all, and hurts them in the future as well. They have to manage the cap the right way this time, and make a compelling case to the owner that THIS is the right thing to do long term AND now.

finchster

Jul 12, 2006
Antalya
If the Bruins are buying, I want them to buy long term fixes, not spend valuable assets on rentals as a band-aid. I like Spooner/Koko and want them on the team next year, but if the Bruins can trade one of them for someone who is a long term fix, then yes I will take it. If the Bruins trade them for a rental, I will be pissed.

Ten Thousand Hours

Aug 17, 2010
Boston
Sell sell sell.

They need a culture change... and its not new this year.

They've been notorious in the past for long stretches of lackluster effort... they just used to have the talent to pull themselves out of any holes they dug.

They don't have that anymore.

And they need to figure out who they can and can't resign and who they want on next years roster.

Dependent on the changes they make this season I'll still wait a bit...

But mainly because I don't see a better option out there GM wise and I'm willing to see if Chia can admit he has a problem..

And figure out a logic all fix

Not when it matters. I don't even think the Montreal loss was about a lack of effort.

TMac21

Save us Sweeney
May 21, 2003
To me, the date Chia has circled on his calender is January 1, 2016 - the team will have to be in top shape for the Winter Classic.

bb_fan

Feb 27, 2002
boston
Visit site
Not when it matters. I don't even think the Montreal loss was about a lack of effort.

Does it matter?

Is it ok by you that in the past they might have only showed up and played for the third period only?

Or any two periods in a game but took one off?

I don't care who they are playing. No excys for poor effort. We the you have a he talent to turn it around in one period or not.

ODAAT

Oct 17, 2006
Victoria BC

This is a continuation of threads discussing the job the Bruins brass has done in managing their roster. The talk has (d)evolved into whether or not they should continue to be given the opportunity to ru(i)n this club.

I will post my personal thoughts shortly. Continue with yours here...

MMB, not sure what the B`s can do with the lack of space.

I understand and agree with much of the frustration poured at Chia but there is still some talent on this roster and when I see our leading scorer with 37pts.....I`m sorry, not nearly good enough and far too often I have watched the players, not the system be the issue as far as focus, execution and on some nights, effort

VanIsle

Jun 5, 2007
Comox Valley, B.C.
If only the 4th line could score some of those blatantly open net goals, Paille and Campbell have had numerous chances of being wide open in front of the net only to shoot it over or beside the net.

It is funny how losing Thornton on the 4th completely killed that line, going from one of the best, if not the best in the league to one that is playing so poorly all season.

Not the reason that this team isn't where it has been in the past, but a small part of the overall problem.

burstnbloom

Mar 10, 2006
If only the 4th line could score some of those blatantly open net goals, Paille and Campbell have had numerous chances of being wide open in front of the net only to shoot it over or beside the net.

It is funny how losing Thornton on the 4th completely killed that line, going from one of the best, if not the best in the league to one that is playing so poorly all season.

Not the reason that this team isn't where it has been in the past, but a small part of the overall problem.

In fairness, that line was atrocious in the playoffs last year WITH Thornton as well.

Mr. Make-Believe

The happy genius of my household
MMB, not sure what the B`s can do with the lack of space.

I understand and agree with much of the frustration poured at Chia but there is still some talent on this roster and when I see our leading scorer with 37pts.....I`m sorry, not nearly good enough and far too often I have watched the players, not the system be the issue as far as focus, execution and on some nights, effort

Shouldn't have been in this position to start with.

But I do believe that if you get guys who can play in positions they're supposed to play in (rather than crossing fingers guys like Smith, Pastrnak and McQuaid can fill top roles), you see a DISTINCT and noticeable turnaround in the performance of the club.

The lack of execution is directly tied to the quality of the right side of the ice and minutes these players have been expected to play. I guarantee this "lack of effort" that everyone seems to note will become a rear-view issue if the right moves are made. This management crew has done it in the past...

bb_fan

Feb 27, 2002
boston
Visit site

The fact that the three lines in front of them tend to struggle most nights doesn't help them at all.

The 4th line used to be gravy on top of a prime rib..... doesn't matter how good (or bad) the gravy is now.... its not covering up anything....

bb_fan

Feb 27, 2002
boston
Visit site
Shouldn't have been in this position to start with.

But I do believe that if you get guys who can play in positions they're supposed to play in (rather than crossing fingers guys like Smith, Pastrnak and McQuaid can fill top roles), you see a DISTINCT and noticeable turnaround in the performance of the club.

The lack of execution is directly tied to the quality of the right side of the ice and minutes these players have been expected to play. I guarantee this "lack of effort" that everyone seems to note will become a rear-view issue if the right moves are made. This management crew has done it in the past...

Exactly on the effort thing.... when they used to play crappy thru two periods and would then 'turn it up' in the third for a come from behind win.... they got the pass.

A win in the end covers a lot up...

PatriceBergeronFan

Jul 15, 2011
USA
Fire GM now. Give coach until the offseason. To turn it around with his modified team.

I fear Chiarelli will make an awful short term trade to preserve his job, still be fired, and leave us fans screwed for years.

VanIsle

Jun 5, 2007
Comox Valley, B.C.
The fact that the three lines in front of them tend to struggle most nights doesn't help them at all.

The 4th line used to be gravy on top of a prime rib..... doesn't matter how good (or bad) the gravy is now.... its not covering up anything....

It could also be that the Bruins have been so good for so long it is hard to step back and be a regular run of the mill team for a lot of us fans.

We are so used to having the Bruins at or near the top of the league that when they came back down to earth as all teams do, we can not comprehend it.

This team can be back to where they were but need talent and a little more depth, poor drafting and player mismanagement has made this team what it is today, but with a decent trade I hope this team can get back to where it was in the last couple years.

Mr. Make-Believe

The happy genius of my household

I wish to clarify something.

I've been glib over the last couple of days about wanting a new management team in place in Boston. But that's not because I've hated what they've done here.

I like the core of the Boston Bruins.

I like Claude Julien.

I'll never forget what it felt like to see my team win the Stanley Cup and I'll never be unappreciative of what this crew did to get there.

I like Chiarelli. I think he's listened to the fans about what kind of a team they want to see on the ice and he's done a lot to help get there. I think the Bruins have gone from a bit of a joke of an organization, to one where players WANT to come to. They see the success that can be had and want to be part of this culture. That is SO important and should not be discounted.

My feeling that a change needs to be made is NOT because I have any desire to see this management team fired. It's not out of spite or anger or frustration. It's because I think a new crew would be more proactive in improving the team and wouldn't share the sentimentality that ours currently does.

Ice Nine

Dec 11, 2014
Parts Unknown
It would be awesome to have at least one ****ing Bruin among the top 50 scorers in the league. Just one. Please. Is that asking so much? I mean, Blake Wheeler is even in the top 50 scorers. We don't have a single player to match Blake Wheeler's production?

Ice Nine

Dec 11, 2014
Parts Unknown

I wish to clarify something.

I've been glib over the last couple of days about wanting a new management team in place in Boston. But that's not because I've hated what they've done here.

I like the core of the Boston Bruins.

I like Claude Julien.

I'll never forget what it felt like to see my team win the Stanley Cup and I'll never be unappreciative of what this crew did to get there.

I like Chiarelli. I think he's listened to the fans about what kind of a team they want to see on the ice and he's done a lot to help get there. I think the Bruins have gone from a bit of a joke of an organization, to one where players WANT to come to. They see the success that can be had and want to be part of this culture. That is SO important and should not be discounted.

My feeling that a change needs to be made is NOT because I have any desire to see this management team fired. It's not out of spite or anger or frustration. It's because I think a new crew would be more proactive in improving the team and wouldn't share the sentimentality that ours currently does.

Fully agree.

LouJersey

Jun 29, 2002
Graves to Gardens
youtu.be
I wouldn't fire either. I would shake the players up though. Problem is, look what happened with they traded Boychuk... Team looks like it's heart was ripped out.

2012- Out Ryder , Kaberle, Recchi. Thomas
2013- Out Ference, Nasty Nate, Seguin, Peverley
2014- Out Boychuk, Thornton, Iginla

That's an absolute blood letting. Lots of heart and soul right there...

Strange Universe

Apr 8, 2009
I will say this much,

If the Bruins management are tied up badly to make any splash and still feel they have enough talent on this team to make very good push with some small tweaks well then they should aim for their two forwards up front that will play the heaviness they are seeking that will not cost us anything to drastic of course.
I still believe that a Kassian and Stewart at the right price can change the culture up front from being butter soft to being hard to play against with a lot more physicality.

As far as D is concerned, we need a Top 3 or 4 D man for certain.

I personally would also try to revamp the 4th line....
Campbell and Paille must be dealt and new energy has to be installed and this I do not see why cannot be fulfilled now or at the trade deadline.
Get rid of the lack luster 4th line players and try to add a couple of players that will add more energy and physicality for the offensive lines so we can balance things out the way we once were not too long ago.

I for one still think that the team has potential but there is certainly something that is not healthy among our team players this year.
It could very well be the team dressing room is not a united one and there could exist some separation between certain individuals which in turn can cause a huge disturbance in the teams overall play.
I am hoping that I am wrong about this but if this is the case, well then the players that are not following the lead the way a team should follow will have to pay the consequences for the teams performance one way or another.
As I said earlier, I really hope I am wrong about this all together.

Jean_Jacket41

Neely = HOF
Jun 25, 2003
With the smurfs
Sell.

If Yeti leaves for nothing next off-season, that will be an absolute fail. You have to trade him on march 2nd if he's not signed, unless there is a principal agreement for a deal.

With the assets you get for Yeti, you turn around and deal some of that for a young top-6 winger.

After that, see what's out there and if there is something that can help for the remainder of the season AND in the futur, do it. If not, don't spend any top assets for rentals.

Era of Sanity

Certified Poster
Nov 12, 2010
If the Bruins are buying, I want them to buy long term fixes, not spend valuable assets on rentals as a band-aid. I like Spooner/Koko and want them on the team next year, but if the Bruins can trade one of them for someone who is a long term fix, then yes I will take it. If the Bruins trade them for a rental, I will be pissed.

Agree with this. There is no sense trying to go all in this year, they are too far away and it will be a waste of increasingly scarce assets. Keep the first rounder, keep Subban. There is really no sense on some cop out move, like a second rounder for a depth contributor which is what I am expecting. At this juncture they should be looking for a hockey trade that can help them in the intermediate term, beyond this year.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad