Bruins Management: Two weeks to turn this around?

sthibault610804

Feb 18, 2015
montreal
my opinion on ciarelli and julien

i think neely must fired ciarelli and give another chance to julien for next year. i want ciarelli out not just because the season is difficult but for many reasons.

first reason :our last good draft was in 2006 , so ciarelli was not here , it was the year bruins draft kessel, lucic,marchand. since that the draft was poorly.

2007 (awful draft)
1- zack hamill (8) bust and small
2-tommy cross bust
3-denis reul ?

2008 (very bad draft)
1-joe colborn (17) , ok play for the flames , but not a top 6 forwards, very ordinary player.
2-maxim sauvé bust a smurf
3-mike hutchinson G ok good with jets.

2009 (awful draft)
1-jordan caron (25) bust
2-ryan button bust
3-lane macdermid bust

2010 (good draft)
1-(2) tyler seguin super pick but trade
2-jared knight not bad but often injured , forget
3-ryan spooner not a bad pick but ordinary player who make a lot of time to devellope and very thin
4-craig cunningham good pick in round 3 , a good fit for a third line. but small
5-good surprise zack trotman in round 7 .

2011 adequate draft
1-dougie hamilton (8)
2-alex kochlachev will play in the nhl probably a second liner center but small
3-anthony camara really dont know, injure this year
4-brian ferlin good pick

2012 not very good
1-malcolm subban ok but need one more years in the ahl
2-matt grlezcyk hate this pick another smurf defense
3-seth griffith not bad , a futur third line player but still small

2013 totally awful
1- no first round
2-linus arneson not sur about this one , thin defense
3-pter cehralik rw play in europe and not very good this year

2014 because pasternak it's already a good draft
1-david pasternak ok super pick , probably the best pick by ciarelli
2-ryan donato too soon to know.

so in general ciarelli is not good at draft , but the thing i hate from him is to take a lot of small players , i think now we can call the big bad montreal canadian and the boston smurf.incredible. we need to come bigger and find the true bruins way.

second reason :, the seguin trade was one of the worst trade i see in my life and i watch hockey game since 1971. you never trade a player like that when he is so young, chicago keep toews and kane, pittsburgh keep malkin and crosby, canadiens keep galchenyuk, nashville keep forsberg etc.

reason 3: big other mistake was the trade of boychuk , how you can let go boychuk at 27 years old and keep seidenberg at 33 who deal with a bad knee injury, the salary cap reason is not a good explanation for that trade, seidenberg's salary is 4 millions and the salary of boychuk was 3,3 millions . the next 3 or 4 years will the betters years for boychuk , so seidenberg is now a very ordinary player. Ciarelli made a very bad analyse of the situation.

i would really prefer to have seguin at 5,5 millions and boychuk for probably 6 millions than have krecji at 7,2 millions and seidenberg at 4 millions.

if the bruins won a stanley cup it was not because the works of ciarelli but because the works of julien who made a good team a stanley cup team.

about julien i will give him another year to prove he is still the guy, why?

1- because he deal with so many injuries this years , also rask begin to play well only in january.

2-because he just sign a new contract.

3-he has the respect of the veteran of the team , chara , bergeron etc.

so in conclusion i think it's time to built the team for the futur , stop to trade our youngers players, bring true big bruins players who can play solid physical hockey, time to return to the bruins style of hockey.

Gee Wally

Old, Grumpy Moderator
Sponsor
Feb 27, 2002
HF retirement home
To the OP.

I dont agree with all your reasons but I do agree with your conclusion to build for the future.
I think windows open and close. Its time to create another window period IMO.

Also, I suspect English is your second language. I give you my compliments if so. Its not easy constructing a post like you did when not in your native tongue.

Welcome aboard.

RussellmaniaKW

Sep 15, 2004
one correction. Boychuk is not 27 years old. He's 31. Only 2 years younger than Seids.

Now all things considered equal you take the guy who is younger and has no major injury history, but all things are not equal. Seids is locked up at 4 million while Boychuk is a UFA who will command upwards of 6 million. Chia figured the age and health differences between the two guys were not enough to justify the price differences.

I don't agree with the Boychuk trade, but I don't think it was as simple as choosing between him and Seids. ultimately I think neither guy has a place here long-term, but for different reasons.

Stone Clode

Kicks him, stunner!!
Jun 1, 2010
Swansea, MA
i think neely must fired ciarelli and give another chance to julien for next year. i want ciarelli out not just because the season is difficult but for many reasons.

first reason :our last good draft was in 2006 , so ciarelli was not here , it was the year bruins draft kessel, lucic,marchand. since that the draft was poorly.

2007 (awful draft)
1- zack hamill (8) bust and small
2-tommy cross bust
3-denis reul ?

2008 (very bad draft)
1-joe colborn (17) , ok play for the flames , but not a top 6 forwards, very ordinary player.
2-maxim sauvé bust a smurf
3-mike hutchinson G ok good with jets.

2009 (awful draft)
1-jordan caron (25) bust
2-ryan button bust
3-lane macdermid bust

2010 (good draft)
1-(2) tyler seguin super pick but trade
2-jared knight not bad but often injured , forget
3-ryan spooner not a bad pick but ordinary player who make a lot of time to devellope and very thin
4-craig cunningham good pick in round 3 , a good fit for a third line. but small
5-good surprise zack trotman in round 7 .

2011 adequate draft
1-dougie hamilton (8)
2-alex kochlachev will play in the nhl probably a second liner center but small
3-anthony camara really dont know, injure this year
4-brian ferlin good pick

2012 not very good
1-malcolm subban ok but need one more years in the ahl
2-matt grlezcyk hate this pick another smurf defense
3-seth griffith not bad , a futur third line player but still small

2013 totally awful
1- no first round
2-linus arneson not sur about this one , thin defense
3-pter cehralik rw play in europe and not very good this year

2014 because pasternak it's already a good draft
1-david pasternak ok super pick , probably the best pick by ciarelli
2-ryan donato too soon to know.

so in general ciarelli is not good at draft , but the thing i hate from him is to take a lot of small players , i think now we can call the big bad montreal canadian and the boston smurf.incredible. we need to come bigger and find the true bruins way.

second reason :, the seguin trade was one of the worst trade i see in my life and i watch hockey game since 1971. you never trade a player like that when he is so young, chicago keep toews and kane, pittsburgh keep malkin and crosby, canadiens keep galchenyuk, nashville keep forsberg etc.

reason 3: big other mistake was the trade of boychuk , how you can let go boychuk at 27 years old and keep seidenberg at 33 who deal with a bad knee injury, the salary cap reason is not a good explanation for that trade, seidenberg's salary is 4 millions and the salary of boychuk was 3,3 millions . the next 3 or 4 years will the betters years for boychuk , so seidenberg is now a very ordinary player. Ciarelli made a very bad analyse of the situation.

i would really prefer to have seguin at 5,5 millions and boychuk for probably 6 millions than have krecji at 7,2 millions and seidenberg at 4 millions.

if the bruins won a stanley cup it was not because the works of ciarelli but because the works of julien who made a good team a stanley cup team.

about julien i will give him another year to prove he is still the guy, why?

1- because he deal with so many injuries this years , also rask begin to play well only in january.

2-because he just sign a new contract.

3-he has the respect of the veteran of the team , chara , bergeron etc.

so in conclusion i think it's time to built the team for the futur , stop to trade our youngers players, bring true big bruins players who can play solid physical hockey, time to return to the bruins style of hockey.

Welcome aboard, sir. Just a few things I'd like to point out, otherwise some interesting thoughts.

The 2013 draft: Arnesson is anything but thin. He was nearly 190 when he was drafted. He's putting on more weight and he's 6'2, which is hardly small. He's not great offensively but a smart kid in his own zone. Certainly has promise and I hope to see him in Providence next year. Not a bad pick by any means.

And also Peter Cehlarik, the 3rd rounder. Not sure how much you actually follow said player, but he's progressed his game quite a bit in the SHL. Played in the league as a 17 year old, was nearly a regular at 18, and has had a strong season at 19. Don't use the numbers as an indicator. I'd recommend giving him a look. In limited minutes he's been an effective player. Might get one more year over there before coming over to Providence.

That draft wasn't as bad as you portray it, and as well, its still WAY too early to make judgements on it, considering they didn't have a first rounder in it.

And my second comment would be your point about Nashville not giving up on Forsberg. They traded FOR Forsberg actually. They traded Erat for him last year. Technically, Washington already gave up on him, in a sense. But that's a poor example to look at because it doesn't really apply in comparison to your other examples. Just FYI.

jaymez33

Dec 1, 2014
If Chiarelli and Clode are gone after this season I want Paul Fenton or Kevin Mcdonald and Paul MacLean or Torts

ODAAT

Oct 17, 2006
Victoria BC
If Chiarelli and Clode are gone after this season I want Paul Fenton or Kevin Mcdonald and Paul MacLean or Torts

ya do, do ya?? I`ll be back asking "how`d that work for ya" at seasons end

Careful what you wish for is all I`ll say

I`m not opposed to change however............

bobber

Jan 21, 2013
Kitchener Ontario
Fire GM now. Give coach until the offseason. To turn it around with his modified team.

I fear Chiarelli will make an awful short term trade to preserve his job, still be fired, and leave us fans screwed for years.

Totally disagree. This team has a great coach and GM. None better in the league. I have cheered for the Bruins over fifty years and love the guys running the ship now.

EverettMike

FIRE DON SWEENEY INTO THE SUN
Mar 7, 2009
Everett, MA
twitter.com
The Maple Leafs traded the worst contract in hockey, an un-tradeable contract, for nothing but pure cap relief. They didn't have to even give up an asset, just money, which they print over there.

We haven't been able to improve a single roster spot since two off-seasons ago.

TRADES ARE HARD NO SOCIAL MEDIA IN TORONTO AMIRITE.

RedeyeRocketeer

Jan 11, 2012
Canada
The Maple Leafs traded the worst contract in hockey, an un-tradeable contract, for nothing but pure cap relief. They didn't have to even give up an asset, just money, which they print over there.

We haven't been able to improve a single roster spot since two off-seasons ago.

TRADES ARE HARD NO SOCIAL MEDIA IN TORONTO AMIRITE.

EverettMike, it's not hard to trade when you're selling. The Toronto Maple Leafs and the Boston Bruins have had completely different half decades. With winning comes player raises. With winning comes lower draft rankings. All that factors in to how a team ultimately has to dance around the cap. So when you say "we haven't been able to improve a single roster spot in two off-seasons", yes that's a biproduct of winning with the cap. If you go back and look at most winners, they have to sell too. How quickly you retool after depends a lot on skillful drafting late in rounds (not easy), and some luck. (Incidentally I would argue that Soderberg was a line 3 upgrade).

As for your Horton-Clarkson trade, it was a match made in heaven. Maybe 2 other teams in the league had the right dynamic to make that style of trade work. But it doesn't mean that trading is any easier. The overall NHL trade volume has plummeted since the cap arrived. That's not because GM's are stubborn. It's because it's really really hard to do. And if you respect Dom at all, he's gone to great lengths to explain this.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad