Bruins Magic Number is 5 ( it's complicated ) - Bruins Playoff Math

Status
Not open for further replies.

Jean_Jacket41

Neely = HOF
Jun 25, 2003
With the smurfs
No rest in sight for Tuukka Rask
WILMINGTON — It’s not as if Tuukka Rask is alone. The Bruins goaltender has others surrounding him in the standings: the Capitals’ Braden Holtby (71 games played), the Kings’ Jonathan Quick (70), the Devils’ Cory Schneider (67), and the Stars’ Kari Lehtonen (65).

With Rask (67), they make up the top five in a league that has relied heavily on No. 1 goaltenders this season. There are, in all, 11 goalies who had played at least 60 games entering Tuesday — and a few that could hit 70 by the end of the season.

That includes Rask, who might just make it to 70 Saturday against the Lightning, if he plays in each of Boston’s remaining games

“What’s the record? Seventy?†asked Rask. “I’ve got to play all three to get to 70. Obviously it’s been a while since I’ve had or anybody has had this kind of workload on our team, but it’s been a different season from previous seasons, too.

“Obviously Original Six team, a lot of history. I’d like to see my name up there.â€

http://www.bostonglobe.com/sports/2015/04/07/bnotes/NXqWFKpfpxhPfOmeO1g6YJ/story.html

When you pay 7M for your G, he has to play.

We'll need Vezina Rask to win us a game or 2 to get in.

We are already in the playoffs and the series is tied 2-2. We need two more wins to get to the next round.

8 Spokes

Feb 7, 2010
Boston, MA
I think it's far more likely that the Bruins, Wings, Sens, and Pens win out and the Isles lose their last two in regulation than it is for the Bruins to win two shootouts in the next three games.

In that crazy win out/lose out scenario, the Isles would be the team on the outside.

Bruinswillwin77

My name is Pete
Sponsor
May 29, 2011
Hooksett, NH
I think it's far more likely that the Bruins, Wings, Sens, and Pens win out and the Isles lose their last two in regulation than it is for the Bruins to win two shootouts in the next three games.

In that crazy win out/lose out scenario, the Isles would be the team on the outside.

Isles were doing so well early this season too. They'd be like the opposite of Ottawa

8 Spokes

Feb 7, 2010
Boston, MA
Isles were doing so well early this season too. They'd be like the opposite of Ottawa

It really would be insane if that happened. They could've clinched last night but lost it in the final two seconds. Them and the Penguins have been sliding badly but per usual, more attention is paid to the Penguins.

Think about that though. The Islanders have 98 points right now. If that scenario plays itself out, that means that they would have won 46 games, earned 98 points, and still missed the playoffs.

Fenway

HF Bookie and Bruins Historian
Sponsor
Sep 26, 2007
Cambridge, MA
391eadd0-ddf7-11e4-a3bc-e3b03025d260_sfsdfsadfsadfa.jpg

Tonight is our game in hand over Pittsburgh and a regulation or OT win moves us ahead of the Pens and Detroit because the B's win the tiebreaker with the Wings.

Boston Bruno

Mostly not serious input..
Nov 2, 2002
Calgary
I know this is a negative feeling, and I know most wont like to hear it

but I can see Boston losing all 3 on the way out and not making it.

Really, it would be the cherry on this bizarre sundae of ups and downs.

I suppose an argument can be made that it could go the other way as well - but for some reason I am very uneasy about this batch of games.

Please win tonight..

Fenway

HF Bookie and Bruins Historian
Sponsor
Sep 26, 2007
Cambridge, MA
Islanders - Friday @Pittsburgh Sat Columbus
Detroit - Thursday @Montreal Sat @Carolina
Pittsburgh - Friday Islanders Sat @Buffalo
Ottawa - Thursday @NYR Sat @Philadelphia
Boston - Tonight @Washington Thurs @Florida Sat @ Tampa Bay

The Bruins game on Saturday is the last game to start on Saturday so they will know what needs to be done. Hopefully our boys can win the next 2 and make Saturday meaningless.

8 Spokes

Feb 7, 2010
Boston, MA
Islanders - Friday @Pittsburgh Sat Columbus
Detroit - Thursday @Montreal Sat @Carolina
Pittsburgh - Friday Islanders Sat @Buffalo
Ottawa - Thursday @NYR Sat @Philadelphia
Boston - Tonight @Washington Thurs @Florida Sat @ Tampa Bay

The Bruins game on Saturday is the last game to start on Saturday so they will know what needs to be done. Hopefully our boys can win the next 2 and make Saturday meaningless.

If the Bruins win tonight in ROW fashion and the Sens lose in regulation to the Rangers on Thursday, the Bruins clinch... right?

Jean_Jacket41

Neely = HOF
Jun 25, 2003
With the smurfs
No doubt, the pressure is back on the Bruins...

Best case scenario, we clinch tomorrow night either with two wins against Wsh+Flo or only one win and a Ott loss to NYR.

Worst case scenario, we lose both games against Wsh+Flo and Ott wins against NYR. Even then, we would have a chance to get in on Saturday with a win against TB and a Ott loss to Phi.

talkinaway

Mar 19, 2014
On the couch
We may be the last team to start on Saturday, but we won't necessarily have all the information. Fortunately, Ottawa will be done. And it's highly likely that once Ottawa finishes their last game, we'll know exactly what we need to do.

But as for the other teams that haven't clinched yet - Pittsburgh, Detroit, and the Islanders - they're only playing about 1 period ahead of us. If Ottawa runs the board, we might need one of them to falter in their last game. Of course, that also probably means that any non-OTT team's result wouldn't matter - the Bruins would likely have a must-win game in this situation. For the Bs, the two points would be necessary, but not sufficient, to advance - still requiring an all-out effort on Saturday until at least the start of the third, when the boys can check the wraparound ribbon board to see if one of the teams has lost.

Maybe we can get whoever's singing the Star Spangled Banner at Amalie to do the extended remix.

CptxMorgan

Dangerzone
Jul 3, 2008
Lawrence, MA

Tonight is our game in hand over Pittsburgh and a regulation or OT win moves us ahead of the Pens and Detroit because the B's win the tiebreaker with the Wings.

In relation to your video, I can't drink this week due to a tooth extraction. These games are gonna be hell on my blood pressure.

ODAAT

Oct 17, 2006
Victoria BC
When you pay 7M for your G, he has to play.

We'll need Vezina Rask to win us a game or 2 to get in.

We are already in the playoffs and the series is tied 2-2. We need two more wins to get to the next round.

yep

Price has played 64

Bishop 60

Rask 67, arguably the only reason Rask hasn`t had more rest is simply due to not having solidified a playoff position long ago but even in this stretch, last game was 3 days ago, plenty of time for him to chill

njbruin*

Nov 17, 2007
Just got myself tickets to the game tomorrow at MSG. Need to be there to see NYR put the final cap on Ottawa's season.

Hopefully you get to hear that dumb goal song about 5 times tomorrow night.

Last edited by a moderator:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad