Bruins Magic Number is 5 ( it's complicated ) - Bruins Playoff Math

Status
Not open for further replies.

EverettMike

FIRE DON SWEENEY INTO THE SUN
Mar 7, 2009
Everett, MA
twitter.com
Last year the Bruins averaged 1.43 points per game. 117 total points in 82 games, the best in hockey.

If the Bruins played at that pace starting right now they would finish the season at 105 points and would definitely be in the playoffs. Last year the lowest total was Dallas at 91. The two wild cards in the East were at 93.

You basically need 92 points, give or take a point. Obviously things can break better or worse, but 92 is a very good working number.
The Bruins have 49 games left and they stand at 35 points total in 33 games, an average of 1.06. That would get them to a rounded number of 87 points, which almost definitely would not qualify them for the playoffs.

(Kevin Paul Dupont calls the number of points you need to qualify for the playoffs as NHL 500. It is not enough to win and lose an equal number of games because of the frequency of 3 point games. You need to win a number of games equal or greater to the total of your wins and OT losses. In fact, you must get some "loser points" because a pure .500 result would be 41 wins and 41 losses, equaling only 82 points. You must be "lucky" enough to lose about 11 games in overtime or a shootout in that scenario. Obviously the more wins you get over or under 41 the more you will or won't need the "loser point.")

So for the Bruins to get to 92 points they need 57 points in their final 49 games, a pace of 1.163 points per game. A couple of examples of how they could do that is 29-20-0, or 24-16-9.

So, knowing the math the questions that come to mind include:

---Is this better or worse than you thought?

---How likely are the Bruins to make the playoffs if they make no moves?

---Which moves would the Bruins most need to guarantee a playoff berth?

---Is the price it would cost be worth it?

Last edited by a moderator:

22Brad Park

Nov 23, 2008
Calgary AB
Last year the Bruins averaged 1.43 points per game. 117 total points in 82 games, the best in hockey.

If the Bruins played at that pace starting right now they would finish the season at 105 points and would definitely be in the playoffs. Last year the lowest total was Dallas at 91. The two wild cards in the East were at 93.

You basically need 92 points, give or take a point. Obviously things can break better or worse, but 92 is a very good working number.
The Bruins have 49 games left and they stand at 35 points total in 33 games, an average of 1.06. That would get them to a rounded number of 87 points, which almost definitely would not qualify them for the playoffs.

(Kevin Paul Dupont calls the number of points you need to qualify for the playoffs as NHL 500. It is not enough to win and lose an equal number of games because of the frequency of 3 point games. You need to win a number of games equal or greater to the total of your wins and OT losses. In fact, you must get some "loser points" because a pure .500 result would be 41 wins and 41 losses, equaling only 82 points. You must be "lucky" enough to lose about 11 games in overtime or a shootout in that scenario. Obviously the more wins you get over or under 41 the more you will or won't need the "loser point.")

So for the Bruins to get to 92 points they need 57 points in their final 49 games, a pace of 1.163 points per game. A couple of examples of how they could do that is 29-20-0, or 24-16-9.

So, knowing the math the questions that come to mind include:

This is top not notch effort by you.If your stats are correct which I think they are yes they can make it.But they need a vet d man who tough n a top line winger.If not may as well go for best pick possible.

VanIsle

Jun 5, 2007
Comox Valley, B.C.
Bruins can make the playoffs with a healthy lineup.

But without addressing a 1st line RW they have no chance past the first round.

Julien needs to play his better players more and the 4th line less. Gotta play the Bergeron/Krejci line 20 min each put Eriksson with Krejci and Lucic.

If he is stubborn and plays Campbell 13 min a night this team has no chance, 4th lines need 8 min a night on avg.

Mr. Make-Believe

The happy genius of my household

That's about on par with what I assumed.

If they make no moves, it means no playoffs.

OUT
Bartkowski
Eriksson
Fraser

IN
David Perron
Andrej Sekera

TO PROVIDENCE
Seth Griffith
Zach Trotman

FROM PROVIDENCE
Dave Pastrnak

Lucic - Krejci - Perron
Marchand - Bergeron - Smith
Kelly - Soderberg - Pastrnak
Paille - Campbell - Cunningham
Gagne

Chara - Hamilton
Sekera - Seidenberg
Krug - McQuaid
Miller

And yes its worth it, as the Bruins get a little from the Eriksson deal. Give up a little (in addition to Bartkowski and Fraser) to get Perron and Sekera. And I truly believe that roster makes the Cup Finals.

Rubber Biscuit

Sep 9, 2010
Long Island

Better. That isn't any sort of crazy pace. It's certainly doable, and with the right moves they could hit that with no problem.

On paper, I think they're capable of playing at that pace without making any moves for players outside the organization. That's not to say they're anything resembling a Cup contender, but the roster on paper should not be performing as poorly as they have to this point.

They need to shore up the right wing and add a top 4 defenseman. The RW is much more important, I think. Ideally, Loui would return to Dallas form with Krejci and they'd only need to target a third liner rather than a first (and maybe a third). I'm not betting on that happening, but it would be ideal.

I'm not too good at gauging player values, so I don't know what the general cost of a first line RW would be.

ranold26

Tuukka likes the post...
May 28, 2003
Bruins can make the playoffs with a healthy lineup.

Absolute bullcrap. Nothing suggests this. They were horrible even when healthy. When not, it was used as an excuse.
They're a .500 club... quote me on it... even in October.

22Brad Park

Nov 23, 2008
Calgary AB

OUT
Bartkowski
Eriksson
Fraser

IN
David Perron
Andrej Sekera

TO PROVIDENCE
Seth Griffith
Zach Trotman

FROM PROVIDENCE
Dave Pastrnak

Lucic - Krejci - Perron
Gagne

Chara - Hamilton
Sekera - Seidenberg
Krug - McQuaid
Miller

And yes its worth it, as the Bruins get a little from the Eriksson deal. Give up a little (in addition to Bartkowski and Fraser) to get Perron and Sekera. And I truly believe that roster makes the Cup Finals.

Loui is better then Kelly.4th on team in scoring.People have hate on for Loui.He been playing good to as of late.

Gargyn

Oct 19, 2006
Kelowna, BC

OUT
Bartkowski
Eriksson
Fraser

IN
David Perron
Andrej Sekera

TO PROVIDENCE
Seth Griffith
Zach Trotman

FROM PROVIDENCE
Dave Pastrnak

Lucic - Krejci - Perron
Gagne

Chara - Hamilton
Sekera - Seidenberg
Krug - McQuaid
Miller

Why would no teams beat those awful offers for perron and sekera?

kytem2

Nov 18, 2003
Ottawa
Visit site
5-7-2 with Chara in the lineup, only 3 wins in regulation with him in the lineup.

16 total wins, but only 10 wins in regulation, meaning they are bleeding points to the opposition -- the Bruins do have 35 points in 33 games, but the opposition has 40 points in these 33 games.

Very little chance they will make the playoffs unless they start winning outside of gimmick time - 4 on 4 and shootouts.

Gargyn

Oct 19, 2006
Kelowna, BC
Carolina wants a 1st and a top prospect for sekera. Really doubt Bartkowski and Fraser count as anything more than a bottom pairing dman at best and career ahler. Wicked offer. Wait, are you gonna add a 3rd too? That might really get the phone lines going.

Shaun

Oct 12, 2010
unless theres a major management or roster change I dont see this team doing anything. bottom out this year for mcdavid or next year for matthews or both.

Strange Universe

Apr 8, 2009
I believe something will have to happen via trade to help the B's make the playoffs but I will also add that getting the points to get there the second half of the year is much tougher than the first half of the regular season.
I say this because most teams are playing with most of the early bugs out of their hockey system during the second half of the season and most teams are also elevating their game to preserve their status making it much tougher to make that playoff spot.

Nevertheless, the Bruins will have to deliver a very strong second half and we will see how much of a dog fight they have in them.

VanIsle

Jun 5, 2007
Comox Valley, B.C.
Absolute bullcrap. Nothing suggests this. They were horrible even when healthy. When not, it was used as an excuse.
They're a .500 club... quote me on it... even in October.

Bruins are much better with a healthy Krejci/Chara.

We will see, still need a 1st line RW and a new coach:sarcasm: but sadly I am serious.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad