Pre-Game Talk: Bruins @ Leafs | Friday @ 7pm - Gardiner Not @ Practice

Status
Not open for further replies.

Jimmy Firecracker

Fire Sheldon.
Mar 30, 2010
Mississauga
I’m curious about the goaltending situation. It’s a unique back to back playing the same team. Will Andy start tonight at home and then McBackup on the road tomorrow?

DarkKnight

Professional Amateur
Jan 17, 2017
This will be fun, a certain intensity with division rivals playing back to back, should be a good indicator. Gritty.

Rogie

ALIVE
May 17, 2013
Kyoungsan
We're still 2 weeks from American thanksgiving. A study/report (I think it was a report or maybe it was anecdotal - some one can likely remember) a few years back showed that a lot of (or most?) teams 'out' of the playoffs at that point in the season don't make the playoffs. It's very hard to make up ground.

But, again, 2 weeks is still a long time for things to change.

Damisoph

Jun 29, 2010
With Freddy's maintenance day yesterday, wouldn't surprise me to see McBackup in there tonight.

We should also probably brace ourselves for no Auston this weekend. That would give him over a week off since we don't play til Thursday.

Reactions: Kelly

BertCorbeau

F*ck cancer - RIP Fugu and Buffaloed
Jan 6, 2012
Simcoe County
With Freddy's maintenance day yesterday, wouldn't surprise me to see McBackup in there tonight.

We should also probably brace ourselves for no Auston this weekend. That would give him over a week off since we don't play til Thursday.

Would make some sense to give Andy an extra night off tonight after that injury scare in Wednesday's game. Have him start tomorrow and then he's got some time to rest.

Erndog

Jul 17, 2007
We're still 2 weeks from American thanksgiving. A study/report (I think it was a report or maybe it was anecdotal - some one can likely remember) a few years back showed that a lot of (or most?) teams 'out' of the playoffs at that point in the season don't make the playoffs. It's very hard to make up ground.

But, again, 2 weeks is still a long time for things to change.

This is hilarious to me. I know you didn't mean it to be (and I know of the report you speak of) but think of it.

At the end you say "2 weeks is a long time for things to change"

In reference to the previous paragraph that basically says if you are out at the end of Nov its very hard to make up ground. So those Dec, Jan, Feb, March months not much changes. But man, these next 2 weeks are a long time for things to change!

haha just funny.

Reactions: Mugzy97

Rogie

ALIVE
May 17, 2013
Kyoungsan
This is hilarious to me. I know you didn't mean it to be (and I know of the report you speak of) but think of it.

At the end you say "2 weeks is a long time for things to change"

In reference to the previous paragraph that basically says if you are out at the end of Nov its very hard to make up ground. So those Dec, Jan, Feb, March months not much changes. But man, these next 2 weeks are a long time for things to change!

haha just funny.

It is funny and I agree it definitely sounded funny - though I didn't think about it when I wrote it but, good point you make.

But, (can tell you are a smart guy) it has to do with sample size I think- that is, how can things change so much in the next 2 weeks and yet for the next 3 months or more, very little change.

I always remember in stats 101 - the prof said something like, " how much pie do you have to taste to know what kind of pie it is" there's cherries in ONE slice of a pie. It only takes one piece to know it's cherry and how much/many cherries are in the pie. On the other hand, if the slice is on the small side, there might not be as many cherries in it AND you might get to thinking 'is it really cherry pie?'

lol

So, by 2 weeks from now, the sample will have grown a bit more, and (for example) if Edmonton doesn't start to come around really fairly quickly to the team they really are, then, well, we know the rest.

So, yeah, it's got a little to do with samples and populations. In 2 more weeks, we know a little more about what we have with each team and that little bit more is going to be enough to be able to speculate a lot more from the sample size.

Reactions: Erndog

Erndog

Jul 17, 2007
It is funny and I agree it definitely sounded funny - though I didn't think about it when I wrote it but, good point you make.

But, (can tell you are a smart guy) it has to do with sample size I think- that is, how can things change so much in the next 2 weeks and yet for the next 3 months or more, very little change.

I always remember in stats 101 - the prof said something like, " how much pie do you have to taste to know what kind of pie it is" there's cherries in ONE slice of a pie. It only takes one piece to know it's cherry and how much/many cherries are in the pie. On the other hand, if the slice is on the small side, there might not be as many cherries in it AND you might get to thinking 'is it really cherry pie?'

lol

So, by 2 weeks from now, the sample will have grown a bit more, and (for example) if Edmonton doesn't start to come around really fairly quickly to the team they really are, then, well, we know the rest.

So, yeah, it's got a little to do with samples and populations. In 2 more weeks, we know a little more about what we have with each team and that little bit more is going to be enough to be able to speculate a lot more from the sample size.

haha no worries man, I wasn't laughing at it. Totally understand.

Also, I think it has more to do with just general good teams vs. bad teams.

Anybody can win a game. Any body can win a hand of poker. I can beat Daniel Negreanu in a single hand for sure. But if I stayed at the table long enough with him, he would have all my money.

It's similar. The first 20 games, a lot of variance, but things start to normalize now. So the good teams are good. The bad teams are bad. Generally speaking, most of the teams in a PO spot right now are pretty good. So they will likely stay there. Most of the teams outside (ex. Arizona, Detroit, etc) are pretty bad. So they will likely stay there.

Although, this year seems abnormally tight so who knows.

Reactions: Rogie

Bluelines

Python FTW!
Nov 17, 2013
Leafs head coach Mike Babcock said after practice Andersen and Gardiner both had maintenance days, while Matthews remains day-to-day with an upper-body injury.
I expect 2 out of 3 in the lineup for Friday.

Anderson smashed his arm in the last game, looked pretty nasty at the time. Jake went to the play park at the local McDonalds and can't find his way out .. ;) .. kidding all you Jake fans..its was Burger King...

orbeez-pool.jpg

Reactions: hotpaws

Bluelines

Python FTW!
Nov 17, 2013
me too.
actually i wouldn't shed tears if we revamped our entire defense.

I think the D improves as the new crop comes on board, not that they are inordinately more skilled but IMO they will be better taught/prepared.

Macallan18

Aug 10, 2015
Happy wife, happy life. :);)

Truer words never spoken!!!
All the Gardiner talk at the start of the thread made me laugh.
Right, we would trade one of our two best defencemen (I don't want to get into a Reilly vs Gardiner debate) to somehow strengthen our team?
Want to get a better defence?
Bench #42. Put Nylander at centre. Play Kappy big minutes. Bench Polak and play Carrick with Gardiner, and have the third pairing Borgmeister with Zaitsev. Play Mitch big minutes. Play Leivo .
In other words, play the players we have that are better at defense and bench the ones that aren't.
I have to say I have found Bobcat very frustrating in his lineups.
And anyone who thinks he is infallible and shouldn't be criticized, watch Polak play.

MapleLeafistan

Oct 5, 2017
Victoria, BC
I hate Saturday night away games...so used to them being played IN Toronto or Toronto East (Ottawa) or Toronto South (Buffalo) or Toronto West (Vancouver). :D

Mugzy97

#StandWitness
Mar 3, 2015
Halifax, NS
Andersen owns the Bruins in his career and we don't play again until Thursday.
He just had a rest day because he obviously hurt his arm last game. Why push it? Why risk losing Andersen for longer than we have to just to play 1 extra game in a back to back?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

• Finland vs Norway
    Finland vs Norway
    Event closes
    • Updated:
  • Slovakia vs USA
    Slovakia vs USA
    Wagers: 2
    Staked: $150.00