98.5 The Sports Hub Bruins know they’re staring down an absolute salary cap nightmare

Status
Not open for further replies.

UncleRico

May 8, 2017
Trade Hall, Grz, Forbort, Ullmark, Reilly, Zboril, Frederic for picks/prospects

Sign Barbachev, Soucy, Lauko, Sundqvist, Swayman, Santini

Merkulov Zacha Pasta
Marchand Barbachev Debrusk
Beecher Coyle Lauko
Greer Sundvqist Steen

Lindholm McAvoy
Soucy Carlo
Lohrei Santini

Swayman
Bussi
for some reason, bruins fans here hate barbashev. Someone brought him up at the trade deadline and I thought it was a good idea, then it resulted in a lot of fans here bashing barbashev, saying he was a one and done player and last year was a fluke, and that frederic was better.

Not sure if that has changed at all with people since barbashev has put two good seasons together in a row and is performing in the playoffs only in ways we could dream out of frederic , but I like him. I dont know if I like him on the 2nd line between marchand and debrusk. I do believe he would be an asset to this team depending on the cap.

dugg133

Jan 11, 2023
for some reason, bruins fans here hate barbashev. Someone brought him up at the trade deadline and I thought it was a good idea, then it resulted in a lot of fans here bashing barbashev, saying he was a one and done player and last year was a fluke, and that frederic was better.

Not sure if that has changed at all with people since barbashev has put two good seasons together in a row and is performing in the playoffs only in ways we could dream out of frederic , but I like him. I dont know if I like him on the 2nd line between marchand and debrusk. I do believe he would be an asset to this team depending on the cap.
On a good team he's a winger. It's where he plays for Vegas now, it's where he played the vast majority of his 60 point season last year for the Blues, and it's where he played in the Blues 2019 cup run. I really like the player, I liked the idea of adding him at the deadline, and now with hindsight he looks like the exact kind of player we needed. But he is not a 2C solution, just can't hold up defensively.

Reactions: UncleRico

EvilDead

Shop smart. Shop S-Mart.
Nov 6, 2014
Taiwan

I don't hate Barbashev. I want him or someone like him to add some sandpaper grit to this team.

Reactions: UncleRico

TCB

Dec 15, 2017
North Of The Border
Trade pasta with Columbus and get 3rd overall if were burning it to the ground we might get fantilli there or carlsson.
While Im not dealing Pasta unless its a huge over pay by someone, Columbus would be an ideal trade partner, they have cap space and the Bruins biggest positional need in some really good young centers with the likes Kent Johnson, Cole Sillinger, Dmitri Voronkov and like you said that 3rd overall pick, where they could land a Carlsson or a Fantilli. The only problem I see here is, I think the relationship between Jarmo and Sweeney may be a tad bit damaged over the non Gavrikov deal from a year ago and if Jarmo decides to move one of them there'll be a whole lot of takers and all things being even imo Sweeney doesn't stand a snowballs chance in hell to make a deal with Columbus as long as Jarmo and JD are still calling the shots, unless he severely over pays.

Reactions: The don godfather

Trashpass

Dec 21, 2019
The Salary cap told you we are going to have a mediocre season? I hope its the same cap that said we would suck this past season as well.

People saying they would suck this past year just wanted to have an "I told you so" moment. They had 107 points and IMO they only improved the team. I didn't think they were going to be as good as they were but I figured they'd be as good or better as the 107 point team.

This upcoming season is totally different. The cap space they have will barely cover Swayman's new deal so moves have to be made and unless they strike gold with any of the new guys coming in then yes they will take a big step back next season. If you can't see that idk what to tell you.

GordonHowe

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Sep 21, 2005
Watertown, Massachusetts
I missed the context, as I posted the "Bruins Beat" podcast without checking previous posts.

Both McLaughlin and Evan Marinofsky noted that like Jake DeBrusk, David is better taking care of D these days, though far less so than I prefer.

Another poster (sorry, I don't remember who; come and claim your prize) noted that, on a first line with Bergeron & Brad, Pastrnak didn't need to be defensively responsible -- Patrice and Marchand would handle that.

Well, Patrice might be back next season, but regardless, and especially sans Bergeron, David has to step up his defensive game. He remains far too careless out there, and to me at least, that is not acceptable.

Also, I DO NOT WANT RYAN NUGENT HOPKINS AS MY NO. #1 CENTER FOR THE SAME REASON. NO DEFENSE TO SPEAK OF. NO SCHEIFELE. NO DUBOIS, who appears to create drama wherever he goes

On December 31, 2020, Dubois signed a two-year, $10 million contract with the Blue Jackets.[12] However, two weeks after signing the contract, he requested a trade from the team.[13] While Blue Jackets' general manager Jarmo Kekäläinen initially stated he was in no rush to trade Dubois, the situation between Dubois and Columbus became increasingly untenable. This culminated in Dubois being benched after the first period during a 3–2 overtime loss to the Tampa Bay Lightning on January 21, 2021, following Dubois' lackadaisical play early in the game.[14] ...

... The Winnipeg Sun remarked that he "embodies everything the Jets want in their lineup and their leadership core," and looked like a possible successor to top centre Mark Scheifele, making the end of his current contract a major issue for the team.[19] However, it was reported near the end of June that Dubois had informed the Jets that he did not intend to sign a new long-term deal, and would test free agency in 2024.[20][19] Reports began to circulate that Dubois instead had an interest in playing for the Montreal Canadiens, the NHL's storied Quebec franchise, with his agent Pat Brisson confirming to TVA Sports that Montreal was "a place, a city he’d like to play in. That’s all I can say about that." On July 15, The Athletic reported that Dubois was attempting to force a trade to the Canadiens, and had attended the 2022 NHL Entry Draft in Montreal in person because he believed a trade would be consummated on the draft floor. However, it was said that Winnipeg general manager Kevin Cheveldayoff had demanded in exchange a player that Canadiens general manager Kent Hughes was unwilling to trade, and instead the Canadiens acquired Kirby Dach from the Chicago Blackhawks at the draft.[21] This report encouraged further speculation as to Dubois' future with the team, amplified further by his decision on July 22 to accept a one-year, $6 million qualifying offer from the team.[22

As noted above, Dubois wants to go to MTL anyway. I therefore reject him on general principle. NO THANKS.

McLaughlin and Marinofksy raised the possibility of pursuing Elias Lindholm instead,

Lindholm is 28, wears an A. RNH is 30 and is unlikely to repeat this past season's performance.

Again, I would keep Matt Gryleck if at all possible. It's absurd to consider trading Hampus. Get a legit #1/#2 D after years -- years -- seeking one. Then trade him. Genius.

Forbort, Clifton, Nosek, Zboril, Nick. I don't think anyone is going to take Mike Reilly @ 3 million; buyout candidate.

I might move on from Frederic but he is a natural center, and the Bruins don't have many in house options @ C.

I would NOT trade Jake DeBrusk.

Unfortunately, at 30 years old and 2X years of 6 million, Taylor Hall may prove a cap casualty. He has performed as well as anyone could ask, and will bring solid return.

As noted elsewhere by others, goaltending is a positional strength. Nearly $10 million tied up in an Ullmark-Swayman tandem, particularly when one or the other will likely receive the bulk of playoff duty, is, unfortunately, financially unrealistic.

There are teams out there in need of goaltending help. Snagging a soon to be Vezina winner for 5 million 2X years is a pretty good bet. A 30 year old goaltender can give you four or five solid years going forward.

This is the Bruins' best bargaining chip and will bring the highest return. Not necessarily in terms of roster players, but draft selection replenishment, and, perhaps, a significant prospect.

Finally -- hooray! -- I'm with those who are willing to take a step back next year in service of restocking draft picks, releasing good to very good NHL players to shed cap, and, most importantly, giving Boston's prospects the chance to grow their game and become NHL regulars.

That process has to begin sometime. It might as well begin next season.

The Bruins will still be "in the conversation," though not favorites.

That's okay.

Retooling a jet fighter in midair is a tricky business. I am confident that Sweeney, with an assist from PRO Gold, can begin the process forthwith.

After what I saw in round one, I am less confident that Jim Montgomery is up to the head coaching job in Boston, though nonetheless willing to give him another season to learn from his mistakes and grow as the man behind the bench.

I would be lying if I said I did not have my doubts. I wish Montgomery the very best, but as a fan, I'll be watching closely from afar. Especially when it matters most, in April & May.

Last edited:

BradMarchandismydad

Nov 22, 2016
Boston

Yeah i’ll eat crow on that, thought Barbashev wasn’t anything special.

He’s looked like the real deal these playoffs

goldnblack

Jun 24, 2020
So I'm behind on posts in here, but obviously we agree that LA just pulled off what we're trying to pull off. That's the template.

Go get it Sweenius.

Deal Law

I would love to QEF your PFIC
Jan 15, 2006
Bucks County, PA
So I'm behind on posts in here, but obviously we agree that LA just pulled off what we're trying to pull off. That's the template.

Go get it Sweenius.
I don't think it's an apples to apples comparison. They moved out an ok player in Walker and an underperforming asset in Peterson and had to spend draft capital to do it. Reilly and Forbort potentially fall into those categories for us, but Gryz, Hall, JDB, Ullmark do not and should have positive value. Don't think we're in the same boat as the Kings.

Trizz617

Jan 5, 2018
Boston/Quebec
soundcloud.com
Scary or not changes are coming and they won't be for the better. Next years team will be significantly worse than this years(on paper anyways).

All they can hope for is a panthers type season. Mediocre regular season and catch fire at the right time.
Will gladly accept a somewhat " mediocre" reg season for a more rewarding post season. The 2011 B's werent exactly barnburners that reg season either and struck gold ultimately.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad