98.5 The Sports Hub Bruins know they’re staring down an absolute salary cap nightmare

Status
Not open for further replies.

missingchicklet

Jan 24, 2010
Time to pay the piper. We all knew it was coming. I still think DS did the right thing in going for the Cup in a big way while he had the chance. I look forward to seeing the direction management will go this summer.

Side note, Ty makes a good point:

How a league with two new TV deals, two new franchises introduced in the last six years, ads slapped on every possible inch of ice and now on jerseys and helmets, and nauseating digital ads on broadcasts has yet to experience a sizable cap increase is both bewildering and maddening, but alas.

Mad-Marcus

Apr 26, 2002
Seacoast, NH
It's because the the player escrow payback wasn't completed(due to the shortened covid season and late start the next) and had to carry over again to another season. IIRC. I believe this is why 24-25 will see a substantial jump after the escrow is paid back.

Reactions: LetsGoBruins97

dugg133

Jan 11, 2023
Everyone knew this was coming, it's why the player couldn't afford to choke like they did. Either way I've been playing around on capfriendly and it's definitely workable, they don't really have any true immovable, dead weight contracts on the books. As long as they actually show a willingness to play young player on cheap contracts and deal with the growing pains that come with that they'll be fine.

Reactions: Gordoff

Tbaybruin

Feb 2, 2016
Its always about the $$$. Cap world. no deals from McAvoy or Pasta. 20 million. Let’s see Golds magic.

stungun54

Apr 15, 2018
HFBoards since 2000
well hell i will take 6 million, i had as pegged at 4.3 million in space. if you sign bergeron and krejci they need to settle for 1 million a piece (like Krejci did last year). that leaves you money to give to swayman maybe 2 million and a raise for Frederic. All the other UFAs walk away from unfortunately. Team wont be the same but we knew that months ago.

Marchand 6.125 - Bergeron ?? - DeBrusk 4.0
Hall 6.0 - Krejci ?? - Pastrnak 11.250
Zacha 4.75 - Coyle 5.25 - Lysell .894
Greer .762 - Frederic 1.050 - Lauko .764

McAvoy 9.5 - Grzelcyk 3.687
Lindholm 6.5 - Carlo 4.1
Forbort 3. - Zboril 1.137
Lohrei .925 (28.849)

Ullmark 5. (5)
Swayman ?? (.925)

Reactions: The don godfather

The don godfather

Jul 5, 2018
Woodbridge Ontario
Not unless they change coaches, eh Don? ;)
I would have sent him packing after game 7 and called claude to get back in. Claude would straighten that Dcore playing air tight hockey back there using the boards no middle passes and playing smart. Many here are soft here and wanna give monty another year I'll play along and say ok but on a short leash. If bruins are struggling back there in regular season fire him and get claude back. Other honourable mentions for coaches are gallant and lavolilette to bring in. I just hope monty proves me wrong and gets it done.

DominicT

Sep 6, 2009
Stratford Ontario
dom.hockey
Time to pay the piper. We all knew it was coming. I still think DS did the right thing in going for the Cup in a big way while he had the chance. I look forward to seeing the direction management will go this summer.

Side note, Ty makes a good point:
The answer is simple.

The players got paid in full during COVID with the promise to pay it back to get to the 50-50 split when things got back to normal.

Dizzay

Jul 8, 2004
Moncton
Hall-Krejci-Pasta
Marchy-Bergy-Debrusk
Domi-Zacha-Bertuzzi
Lucic-Beacher-Frederic
Greer

Lohrei-McAvoy
Lindholm-Carlo
Zboril-Mayfield

Swayman
Blackwood
Bussi

Traded: Ullmark, Forbort, Coyle, Reilly, Gryz
Let go: Foligno, Hathaway, Orlov, Clifton,
UFAs: Domi, Bertuzzi, Mayfield, Blackwood, Bussi

Hookslide

Nov 19, 2018
Hall-Krejci-Pasta
Marchy-Bergy-Debrusk
Domi-Zacha-Bertuzzi
Lucic-Beacher-Frederic
Greer

Lohrei-McAvoy
Lindholm-Carlo
Zboril-Mayfield

Swayman
Blackwood
Bussi

Traded: Ullmark, Forbort, Coyle, Reilly, Gryz
Let go: Foligno, Hathaway, Orlov, Clifton,
UFAs: Domi, Bertuzzi, Mayfield, Blackwood, Bussi
Cup final written all over that roster .................Excuse me while I wipe up my dripping sarcasm......

UncleRico

May 8, 2017
They will be so much better off in a couple years if they just accept that they are going to use 2023-2024 as a down/retool year. Dont buyout any contracts and just let everything roll off the books this upcoming season(mike reilly contract etc), trade off anyone who wont be here for the next core, retain money on deals to maximize return.

Also use it as a year to develop young guys like lauko, steen, mclaughlin, beecher, lohrei, lysell and see if they can carve out a role or show future promise.

Then go into the 2024-2025 season with plenty of cap, no bonus overages or buyouts, and recoup some draft picks.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad