Bruins invited Ville Leino to training camp/Matt Fraser signed (1yr, two way)

Blowfish

Count down ...
Jan 13, 2005
Southwestern Ontario
Dude, Pandolfo sucked and was a black hole on this team and I don't care he was a nice guy. I wouldn't care if it turned out Joe Sacco thought he was a nice guy. So, um, thanks for making my point.

Ville Leino sucks. Suuuuuucks.

Why is everyone ignoring that his second best season is 25 points. His second best season isn't even 50% of his best. That 53 point season is the epitome of an anomaly. I mean good god people (not just one person) are talking about him getting chemistry with Soderberg, which means people are talking about him being on the third line.

That. Is. A. Travesty. Even in hypothetical form.

His upside is not 53 points. That season looks like Brady Anderson's 50 homer season.

And these false equivalencies are driving me insane. "Him or Caron? Him or Kelly? Him or ebola?"

How about him or one of our top 4 forward prospects? How about him or someone we trade for that hasn't been a disaster for three straight seasons, both production and health wise?

Has anyone watched Leino play recently? I've read Leino has had some pretty significant injuries his time with the Sabres impacting his play?

Leino, who battled hip injuries on and off for four years, was finally healthy before Wednesday night's game at the Detroit Red Wings. Now he's out "at least a couple weeks," according to Rolston.

In addition to his hip, Leino also dealt with lung problems late last season. He played in just eight games last season and a total of 80 in a Sabres uniform since signing a US$27-million, six-year contract in the summer of 2011.

But this is another tough break for Leino, who has just 31 points in his Sabres career.

"He had the injury bug, guys like him and Tropper you feel for," Rolston said.

http://www.tsn.ca/story/?id=433326

2014/04/01
Missed 1 game (upper body injury).

2014/03/29
Upper body injury, day-to-day.

2014/01/11
Missed 3 games (lower body injury).

2014/01/02
Lower body injury, day-to-day.

2013/12/27
Missed 1 game (illness).

2013/12/23
Illness, day-to-day.

2013/10/26
Missed 11 games (fractured ribs).

2013/10/04
Fractured ribs, injured reserve.

2013/04/26
Missed the last 13 regular season games (upper body injury).

2013/03/31
Upper body injury, day-to-day.

2013/03/16
Missed 27 games (leg injury).

2013/01/24
Leg injury, injured reserve.

2013/01/20
Leg injury, day-to-day.

2012/01/07
Missed 10 games (lower body injury).

2011/12/16
Lower body injury, injured reserve.

2011/12/10
Missed 1 game (suspended by nhl).

2011/12/08
Suspended by the NHL for one game

Last edited:

Lepardi

Jan 1, 2008
Finland
Wonder if Rask had a say in this decision. They are from the same (relatively small) town and also played on the same team couple of seasons.

They didn't play together for "a couple of seasons". When Ville Leino was in Ilves, Rask played mostly for the Ilves U20 team. Rask got to play four games for the men's team in 2004-05. They had no need for a 17-year-old Rask, cause they had Vesa Toskala. Ville Leino left Ilves for HPK in the summer of 2005, and Rask only really made the team after that.

Artemis

Took the red pill
Dec 8, 2010
Mount Olympus
They didn't play together for "a couple of seasons". When Ville Leino was in Ilves, Rask played mostly for the Ilves U20 team. Rask got to play four games for the men's team in 2004-05. They had no need for a 17-year-old Rask, cause they had Vesa Toskala. Ville Leino left Ilves for HPK in the summer of 2005, and Rask only really made the team after that.

I bet that's the only time you'll see "Toskala" and "no need for Rask" in the same sentence. :laugh:

PatriceBergeronFan

Jul 15, 2011
USA
Dude, Pandolfo sucked and was a black hole on this team and I don't care he was a nice guy. I wouldn't care if it turned out Joe Sacco thought he was a nice guy. So, um, thanks for making my point.

Ville Leino sucks. Suuuuuucks.

Why is everyone ignoring that his second best season is 25 points. His second best season isn't even 50% of his best. That 53 point season is the epitome of an anomaly. I mean good god people (not just one person) are talking about him getting chemistry with Soderberg, which means people are talking about him being on the third line.

That. Is. A. Travesty. Even in hypothetical form.

His upside is not 53 points. That season looks like Brady Anderson's 50 homer season.

And these false equivalencies are driving me insane. "Him or Caron? Him or Kelly? Him or ebola?"

How about him or one of our top 4 forward prospects? How about him or someone we trade for that hasn't been a disaster for three straight seasons, both production and health wise?

:handclap:

ODAAT

Oct 17, 2006
Victoria BC
asking not necessarily suggesting, but would Seth Griffith be a guy who could slot into the wing? I know skating has been a bit of a concern with him and I "think" his natural position is center but would or is he a guy who would be able to get comfortable on the wing?

It seems all this kid does at every level is score/adjust to the game in spite of the "deficiencies" in his game?

Fire Sweeney

Jun 16, 2009
Bergen
Holy **** I thought it was a typo earlier when someone said, "He was top 40 in the Selke a few years ago." I figured they meant Top 4.

But nope. Top 40, 36 to be exact.

I have completely changed my mind about him and think we should offer him 3 years.

To put it in perspective, Vile actually received only one vote, a 3rd place vote by some Philly homer. That's as many votes as Lucic received.

member 96824

asking not necessarily suggesting, but would Seth Griffith be a guy who could slot into the wing? I know skating has been a bit of a concern with him and I "think" his natural position is center but would or is he a guy who would be able to get comfortable on the wing?

It seems all this kid does at every level is score/adjust to the game in spite of the "deficiencies" in his game?

I would say not yet, but he's certainly a guy I personally have high hopes for. Could see a streaky 20-25 goal guy IMO ala Michael Ryder/Marco Strum

Oates2Neely

Jan 19, 2010
Massachusetts
I really thought Knight would be solidifying himself in a 3rd line wing spot by now in Boston. Kid had all the tools & promise. A young Chuck Kobasew on an ELC skating shotgun besides Yeti is just what the doctor ordered.

Mione134

Queen in the North
Sponsor
Mar 30, 2010
Hogwarts-617
^ I await the day he finally makes it to Boston. That kid is made up of 100% Bruin.

Many things have derailed him (feel free to go back in the Prov thread to refresh) but now he's rearing to go. And Sweeney and Chia LOVE him. I'm excited to see what he brings in camp. Would love to see him snag a role. This year will be big for him, IMO.

We have good talented kids down Prov ready to go. I think its time we sprinkle them on the big club. Get the youth movement going.

Braunbaer

May 21, 2012
You mean the way Lucic, Krejci, Marchand, Seguin, Smith, Boychuk, Krug, McQuaid and Miller were blocked under Julien? Because a coach and GM would deliberately hold back a younger, better, cheaper player, right?

Jay Pandolfo.

ThomasJ13

Sep 22, 2006
^ I await the day he finally makes it to Boston. That kid is made up of 100% Bruin.

Many things have derailed him (feel free to go back in the Prov thread to refresh) but now he's rearing to go. And Sweeney and Chia LOVE him. I'm excited to see what he brings in camp. Would love to see him snag a role. This year will be big for him, IMO.

We have good talented kids down Prov ready to go. I think its time we sprinkle them on the big club. Get the youth movement going.

I hope you're right, but I see two 'good & talented' centers in Providence in Koko and Spooner, and a bunch of ??? on the wing. Florek, Fraser, Cunningham, Griffith, Camara and Lindblad are a bunch of really late draft picks with AHL stats that look alot like Chris Bourque's. Regardless, between the salary cap and their drafting (either competency or tendencies) the Bruins have created a black hole at wing for themselves. And none of the options to fill the hole (i.e rookie centers not playing their natural positions, scrap heap reclamations, Chris Bourque version 2.0) have me overly optimistic.

Who knows, maybe Knight turns a corner and lives up to the promise? Maybe Pastrnak pulls a Hertl or Nichushkin and surprises everybody? Certainly going to be the most interesting position to watch during camp and early part of the season.

Alberta_OReilly_Fan

Bruin fan since 1975
Nov 26, 2006
Edmonton Canada
i am starting to 'see' a team go together that will be a little harder for me to like... but its not all hopeless as i do think its good enough to be competitive

not a huge fan of eriksson/krejci/lucic but thats certainly feeling like the first line to me.

im actually seeing either gagne or leino join bergeron and one of smith/marchand on a second line in an effort to break up team scoring

im still suspecting we see a soderberg trade at some point but if not he centers third line... and i see one of smith or marchand joining him to try to etablish 3 lines of scoring. i see one of gange/leino on this line too...

suddenly the opportunity for kids is really reduced.

my gut call says kelly isnt getting dealt... so if hes here than campbell has to go... kelly/paille are 2 thirds of the bottom line and then the final 3 roster spots are the only spots open for kids

LouJersey

Jun 29, 2002
Graves to Gardens
youtu.be
i am starting to 'see' a team go together that will be a little harder for me to like... but its not all hopeless as i do think its good enough to be competitive

not a huge fan of eriksson/krejci/lucic but thats certainly feeling like the first line to me.

im actually seeing either gagne or leino join bergeron and one of smith/marchand on a second line in an effort to break up team scoring

im still suspecting we see a soderberg trade at some point but if not he centers third line... and i see one of smith or marchand joining him to try to etablish 3 lines of scoring. i see one of gange/leino on this line too...

my gut call says kelly isnt getting dealt... so if hes here than campbell has to go... kelly/paille are 2 thirds of the bottom line and then the final 3 roster spots are the only spots open for kids

OMFG somebody please check on Everett Mike,.. :laugh::laugh:

LSCII

Cup driven
Mar 1, 2002
Central MA

And with 10 goals in his last 137 games, the one thing you can count on from Leino is to break up the scoring...:naughty:

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad